Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,772 members, 7,827,855 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:58 PM

Ambode To Phase Out Danfo This Year - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ambode To Phase Out Danfo This Year (465 Views)

How Much Did It Cost Ambode To Build These Flyover-bridges? (see PHOTOS) / Ambode To Buhari: Lagos Truly Deserves A Special Status / Ambode To Pump $60m Into Lekki Free Zone Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Ambode To Phase Out Danfo This Year by errigdee: 5:56am On Feb 07, 2017
The Lagos State Governor , Akinwunmi Ambode , on Monday said there were plans to remove yellow buses , popularly known as danfo, from Lagos roads.
He explained that danfo would give way to a more efficient , well- structured and world - class mass transport system that would facilitate ease of movement within the city .
Ambode also said his administration had completed work on a comprehensive environmental sanitation policy that would make the city to be clean without any burden on the people in terms of taxes .
Speaking at the 14th annual lecture of the Centre for Values in Leadership ( CVL ) at the Muson Centre in Onikan with the theme , ‘ Living Well Together , Tomorrow : The Challenge of Africa ’ s Future Cities, ’ Ambode admitted that the danfo transport system in Lagos was not acceptable and befitting of a megacity, adding that a well -structured transport mode was needed to address the challenge.
He said , “ When I wake up in the morning and see all the yellow buses , okadas ( motorcycles ) and all kinds of tricycles, I feel that the claim that we are a megacity is not true. We must acknowledge that it is a faulty connectivity that we are running .
“ We have to look for a solution and that is why we want to banish yellow buses this year . We must address the issue of connectivity that makes people to move around with ease and that is where we are going. ”
The governor said the main objective of his administration was the growth of the Lagos economy from fifth to the third largest economy in Africa .
In his opening remarks, CVL founder and renowned development expert, Prof. Pat Utomi, said the idea behind the formation of the group was to get young people to appreciate early that leadership was all about service to the people .
Chairman on the occasion and a former Governor of Cross River State , Liyel Imoke, said Nigeria ’ s population by 2050 would have tripled , adding that it was important for the country to start planning for liveable cities.
On his part, the Director of Centre for African Economies, Oxford University, Prof. Paul Collier, who was also the keynote speaker, said the country should start building its cities , with recourse to the population projection of Nigeria by 2050.

source: http://punchng.com/ambode-phase-danfo-year/

Re: Ambode To Phase Out Danfo This Year by lalatohbadt(m): 6:01am On Feb 07, 2017
A great step in the right direction .please create short term alternatives
Re: Ambode To Phase Out Danfo This Year by Oladimejyy(m): 6:04am On Feb 07, 2017
lalatohbadt:
It never a great step because it will increase thuggery,rapist,arm robbery etc if u can think deeply u will know what am saying.
#istandwithbuhari

1 Share

Re: Ambode To Phase Out Danfo This Year by engrMikemd(m): 6:06am On Feb 07, 2017
impossicant
Re: Ambode To Phase Out Danfo This Year by IykeChukz(m): 6:07am On Feb 07, 2017
I was expecting to see what best to replace Danfo...

Could it be train?
Re: Ambode To Phase Out Danfo This Year by shyling(f): 6:16am On Feb 07, 2017
lalatohbadt:
A very great step..... It's about time we had a truly megacity Lagos...Devoid of the unruly danfo and molue miscreants.... Or keke marwa.. Living in a city is no joke...
Re: Ambode To Phase Out Danfo This Year by rfnextar8(m): 6:16am On Feb 07, 2017
let me pitch NY tent here first
Re: Ambode To Phase Out Danfo This Year by pressplay411(m): 6:30am On Feb 07, 2017
The transport system provides means of living to more than half of the "illiterate" men in Lagos.

I hope he considers this while providing this alternative more befitting transport system, Disengaging these men without other means to make ends meet is itself a security risk, lest the become armed robbers.

A more urgent solution is needed for the problem called "Agbero." They are the more defacing and menacing factor in the transformation of Lagos to a Megacity.
Re: Ambode To Phase Out Danfo This Year by Mynd44: 6:41am On Feb 07, 2017

(1)

I Have Given My Life To Christ And Do Not Engage The Services Of A Mistress – Ok / Senate President, Bukola Saraki Appoints Baba Ahmed As Chief Of Army Staff / Ibori Thanksgiving : We Did Not Collect N350m From Okowa ....organisers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.