Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,188 members, 7,811,480 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:41 PM

Christianity Is Not A Religion! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christianity Is Not A Religion! (2367 Views)

i am leaving the church now.Christianity Is Not A True Religion! / Atheism Is A Religion / Why Christianity Is Wrong (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christianity Is Not A Religion! by mrpataki(m): 4:08pm On Jan 16, 2007
I have been debating within myself for a while now over a question. I would like to know the view of learned Nairaland users here, as to the topic raised.
Personally I believe Christianity is not a religion.
Re: Christianity Is Not A Religion! by djl(m): 4:43pm On Jan 16, 2007
Hi, ur feeling is normal cos of d many attrocities done by those who claim to represent Christ. But dont just draw any conclusion as u hav just done. Jesus Christ himself said it dat the religion he was about to establish would bcome like a man who plants a crop but wen men are asleep, an enemy(satan) came and plant weeds round it. But instead of destroying d weeds planted by d enemy in d morning, d man simply told his servants to allow d crops and d weeds grow 2gether.By harvest time,the crops would all be harvested and stored but d weeds would be destroyed. Not long after d death of Jesus and some notable disciples,apostacy just like d weeds crept into d christain religion just as we have it today and many false doctrines became d major teachings. But dear the true christian religion still exist cos there are millions who wholeheartedly hold on to d real teachings of christ.
Re: Christianity Is Not A Religion! by shahan(f): 5:31pm On Jan 16, 2007
Well, I think mrpataki might be coming from another angle to his question: "is Christianity a religion or a relationship?"

Depending on the perspective of the user of the term, Christianity can be a religion - or, if strictly speaking on Christian theological terms, it's more a relationship than a religion.

For me, what sets Christianity apart from the concept of "religion" is the fact that believers are regarded as the children of God by faith in Jesus Christ the Son of God. Believers confess God as the Father; Jesus Christ as the divine Son of God and Lord of all; and the Holy Spirit as the Comforter Who brings the reality of the presence of God in our lives.

A second element about this relationship is the divine nature, life and love that believers have enjoy and express. These are not just high-sounding theological terminologies - they are tangible experiences communicated to those who confess Jesus Christ as the Son of God.

There are various religious elements observed in Christianity, no doubt - such as prayer, worship, and fellowship. From a socio-political and cultural perspective, when you mention any such words in public concourse, the general feeling is that you're religious! However, it is not a metter of devotion to rituals that defines Christianity. Rather, it is the power and reality of the living God in the spirit of man that establishes the relationship that Christianity offers.
Re: Christianity Is Not A Religion! by mrpataki(m): 8:28pm On Jan 16, 2007
thanks shahan and dj,
Personally i believe christianity is not a religion if i get to look at the way even the muslims see their way of life, i believe christianity offers much more than that, it is a relationship kind of thing!

Anyway am still looking for someone to oppose my points here.
Re: Christianity Is Not A Religion! by djl(m): 1:56pm On Jan 17, 2007
From wat angle did u base ur opinion. do u mean christianity is not a religion cos of its mode of worship, cos of d misrepresentation it got? cos of its many sects or maybe it is a different concept entirely? To u "wats a religion" Pls maybe u should redefine ur opinion
Re: Christianity Is Not A Religion! by belloti(m): 2:58pm On Jan 17, 2007
Christianity is just a state of mind and conveniently so.
Re: Christianity Is Not A Religion! by shahan(f): 3:08pm On Jan 17, 2007
You mean the version of the convenient state of mind that the Quraish prophet taught you?
Re: Christianity Is Not A Religion! by belloti(m): 3:22pm On Jan 17, 2007
I dont know why you choose to reply me Shahan. i thought our various opinion were sought by the creator of the thread. That is my own opinion and i expect you to give yours. Let me explain to you what i mean. If today i decided to be a christian (wa iyazu billah). i only need to proclaim the popular quotes of accepting christ as lord and saviour, the rest is to eat and sleep and continue to be myself doing anything i feel like doing and renouncing the daily islamic acts of worships which incidently i dont have any now as a christian. Can you now see my point?
Re: Christianity Is Not A Religion! by shahan(f): 3:32pm On Jan 17, 2007
I see your point, erudite belloti.

It's just as effective as I replied your lines - just stating my own opinion about your misconception. Nowhere is your concept substantiated except, of course, you just had to make an unsubstantiated opinion that is tangential to the topic.
Re: Christianity Is Not A Religion! by trinigirl1(f): 3:56pm On Jan 17, 2007
shahan:

I see your point, erudite belloti.

It's just as effective as I replied your lines - just stating my own opinion about your misconception. Nowhere is your concept substantiated except, of course, you just had to make an unsubstantiated opinion that is tangential to the topic.

shahan, now you're just showing off.  Keep that motive in check sister.  wink

This issue has plagued many threads.  People seem to equate Christianity with and as religion.  Religion, based on a common belief system, whether it be humanist, athiest, buddhist or christian, is a man made governmental institution.

However, as shahan said, christianity is developing a relationship with God.  The fruit of which is seen in our conduct and way of living day by day.

James 1:26-27 states what true religion is:-

If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.

Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

In other words LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOUR AS YOURSELF.  SHOW COMPASSION AND UNDERSTANDING. LOVE YOUR ENEMIES. BLESS THOSE WHO CURSE YOU.  etc etc etc.

I especially like  the New International Version of this scripture:-

If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless.   Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

Why the tongue?

Death and life are in the power of the tongue,  because out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.

If we have hatred and pride in our hearts, it comes out in what we say (or type)  smiley
If we have love then it will cover a multitude of sins, and we will love our enemies, bless, and not curse them.

Religion has another tone.  Islam says kill the infidel.  Christian Religion moves away from Christ's original messages and allows homosexuals in positions of leadership in the church. 

People use religion as an excuse to justify their own prejudices and hatred.  Christianity in its purest form encourages love for all.

And this love is what all true disciples of Christ should seek to attain. This complete love.

The 1 Corinthians 13 agape love of God.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails.
Re: Christianity Is Not A Religion! by belloti(m): 4:19pm On Jan 17, 2007
Welcome Trinidad girl, By your posting you are basically equating christianity with righteousness. The fact that we now have gay priests exposes the moral state and legitimacy of christian leaders. Anyway, from your point of view we now have a glimpse of the real confusion confronting an average christian.

Islam on the other hand, its a complete way of life, it has a culture of communication, of lifestyle, of appearance, of sleeping, of Sex (cheesy), of eating and even of shaking hands. It always provide for the most modest and most respectful way of living. However, there is a difference between Islam and a muslim. If a muslim chooses to behave as he wishes that has nothing to do with Islam. Its essentially about that person. But we can not have gay Imams in Islam. thats not possible. Here is where the difference lies. We have code of ethics that are compulsorily binding especially on religious leaders.
Re: Christianity Is Not A Religion! by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jan 17, 2007
People often say Christianity is a way of life.
It is not.
It is life itself

Jhn 14:6   Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
The above scripture crowns it all.
Christ is that life and since we are in Him,we have life,anything outside of him,is simply existence.

Jhn 3:36   "He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him."

again,outside of Christ there is no life.

bless you all that await his coming.
Re: Christianity Is Not A Religion! by belloti(m): 4:46pm On Jan 17, 2007
There you go again Baby, Words. Its only words ( cheesy)
Re: Christianity Is Not A Religion! by Nobody: 4:54pm On Jan 17, 2007
Christianity is total dependence on Christ.
"chrisian leaders" are not our standard.
Christ is our standard.
His life our model and the Bible our guide.

1Cr 3:11   For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

Homosexuality is condemned by the Bible and so is immorality,fornication,perversions,lyings,cheatings and other vices.
Finally,this scripture from a letter of Paul to the Galatians which is so applicable today.

Gal 1:6   I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel,

Gal 1:7   which is not another; but there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ.

Gal 1:8   But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed.

Gal 1:9   As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed.
Re: Christianity Is Not A Religion! by Nobody: 5:01pm On Jan 17, 2007
bellotti,I don't expect you to understand it.
It is impossible for a carnal man to understand the things of the Spirit.
I am telling you of what I have tasted and proven to be true.
Re: Christianity Is Not A Religion! by belloti(m): 5:26pm On Jan 17, 2007
Baby, who is a carnal man? how did you come about that phrase?
Re: Christianity Is Not A Religion! by trinigirl1(f): 5:27pm On Jan 17, 2007
belloti:

Welcome Trinidad girl, By your posting you are basically equating christianity with righteousness. The fact that we now have gay priests exposes the moral state and legitimacy of christian leaders. Anyway, from your point of view we now have a glimpse of the real confusion confronting an average christian.

I apologize.  Either my point was not clearly made or for some reason you were not able to comprehend.

I did not equate christianity with righteousness.  In fact, righteousness was not mentioned.

But since you want to touch on righteousness let me put it this way.

For those of us who choose to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ, our wonderful LIVING, Holy loving Lord and Saviour, we have guidelines to follow that show us how to live righteously, and our reward for righteous living is spiritual, not carnal as is evident with Islam.

I agree with you that the devil has been quite successful in separating the body of christ.  It is unfortunate.

However I'm sure that this segregation exists in many religions worldwide.  Some muslim factions say they reject violence while others advocate it. That confusion is not something isolated to the christian religion.

Do not confuse christianity the chosen faith and practice, with Christianity the religious denominatioal  institution.

Also, if you understand this distinction, you will also understand the a religious (christian) leader, is not the same as a christian leader.

There are men who are wonderful christian leaders not by position but by anointing, by integrity and lifestyle.

Conversely, religious leaders who manipulate and use the word of God for their own sinful agenda will be judged, as we all shall be.   No true christian church born of the spirit of God would ever allow homosexuals to function in a position of leadership/authority over His people. God has abandoned them.

belloti:

there is a difference between Islam and a muslim. If a muslim chooses to behave as he wishes that has nothing to do with Islam. Its essentially about that person. But we can not have gay Imams in Islam. thats not possible. Here is where the difference lies. We have code of ethics that are compulsorily binding especially on religious leaders.

You have said it! So then, if you understand the difference between Islam and a muslim, then surely you must understand the difference between the Christian Religion and christianity the faith itself.

And as far as gay Imams in Islam.  The only difference between gays in Islam and gays in christian religion is transparency.  Please don't tell me there are no closet gay muslims in leadership.

Perhaps they're afraid to come out because of the consequence.  What's the penalty for being gay in Islam? Death? Mutilation of privates? Public flogging?  grin
Re: Christianity Is Not A Religion! by belloti(m): 5:39pm On Jan 17, 2007
Trinidad girl, somehow i am impressed by your post. you ve spoken nicely. But i can tell you there is no gay Imam but there can be gay muslims. The punishment in islam is stonning to death.

However, the truth is Islam may surely appeal to you if you truly understand what it is and not what they say or think it is. I advice you read the books yourself and dont let no one do it for you.
Re: Christianity Is Not A Religion! by trinigirl1(f): 5:47pm On Jan 17, 2007
Thanks belloti, truth always appeals to me. So tell me this, if I search for truth in your Qu'ran, will you also search for truth in my Bible? grin
Re: Christianity Is Not A Religion! by belloti(m): 5:56pm On Jan 17, 2007
Oh yeah, Trinidad girl. But i always read some of the versions of the Bible that comes handy. Islam specifically directed us to believe in Injeel, The original bible. It is a holy book recognised by Islam as given to the holy prophet Eesa (Jesus) Alayhis salam. Insha Allah, the truth shall prevail one day. Thank you for your understanding.
Re: Christianity Is Not A Religion! by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jan 17, 2007
belloti:

Baby, who is a carnal man? how did you come about that phrase?

carnal means worldly,temporal,not spiritual,merely human.
I didn't mean any insult but to state a biblical fact.

1Cr 2:14   But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
Re: Christianity Is Not A Religion! by belloti(m): 6:01pm On Jan 17, 2007
I understand Baby, Thanks. I know me and you no longer fight. we ve grown up. cheesy grin
Re: Christianity Is Not A Religion! by mrpataki(m): 6:08pm On Jan 17, 2007
Actually went further to know the true meaning of Religion in itself, this is what I got out:

1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.

3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.

4. the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.

5. the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.

6. something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.

No where was it mentioned of a personal relationship with ones maker! Which is the sole aim of Christianity! Unlike all other religions that we have around us today.
Re: Christianity Is Not A Religion! by trinigirl1(f): 8:38pm On Jan 17, 2007
very nice mrpataki. wink
Re: Christianity Is Not A Religion! by Aggressa(m): 10:56pm On Jan 17, 2007
belloti:

Islam on the other hand, its a complete way of life, it has a culture of communication, of lifestyle, of appearance, of sleeping, of Sex (cheesy), of eating and even of shaking hands. It always provide for the most modest and most respectful way of living. However, there is a difference between Islam and a muslim. If a muslim chooses to behave as he wishes that has nothing to do with Islam. Its essentially about that person. But we can not have gay Imams in Islam. thats not possible. Here is where the difference lies. We have code of ethics that are compulsorily binding especially on religious leaders.

@Belloti,
My suggestion to your "uncle" who is now AWOL extends to you too: when you write, first read it before sending it unto the www for the whole world to see. A culture of anti-intellectualism seems to pervade in the entire islamic culture and you've further confirmed it. So, islam is a "complete way of life, it has a culture of communication,,,,,,,,,,,even of shaking of hands"; in other words, islam also specify a "culture of thinking" as part of the "code of ethics that are compulsorily binding" on all of you. So, how can you reason how of the box? Are you capable of lateral or integrated thinking or rational analysis at all?
It is`obvious you are not; just listen to youself above. you claim to know what it takes to become a christian and you gave a pathethic description grin that shows you either do not understand what you read in the bible you claim to read (injeel) or you are being miserly with truth. BELLOTI, get understanding, you really need it!!!
Re: Christianity Is Not A Religion! by Seun(m): 10:32am On Jan 18, 2007
Oh please, we've debunked this ridiculous idea already: www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-6140.0.html
Re: Christianity Is Not A Religion! by belloti(m): 11:06am On Jan 18, 2007
Havila, what are you saying? Oh yeah Islam is a complete way of life and a culture for everything. If you are just knowing this, its quite unfortunate. It shows you never knew Islam at all. you only come here to make noise and rubbish people as if appointed by someone. And please stop all these personal condemnation and restrict yourself to the issue on board. It doesnt make you anything.
Re: Christianity Is Not A Religion! by shahan(f): 1:14pm On Jan 18, 2007
@belloti,

Your persuasions about sex in the celestial realms only shows you have no spiritual inclination. From your previous submissions, you give the idea that promiscuity is the order of the day in your jannah following the Yaum al-Qiyamah (the Day of Resurrection). It just doesn't make sense, and infact speaks volumes about the mindset of the deity being worshipped in Islam - *allah.

^^ Have you thought about the implications of your persuasions?

^^ Or, such kind of ideology only appeals to you because you cannot discount sex in heaven?

^^ Does it then mean that if in reality there is no sex in heaven, Islam would have been a total waste of time, intellect, moral conscience, lives, and the future of both the jihadists, innocent damsels and young boys reserved for such appetites?
Re: Christianity Is Not A Religion! by mrpataki(m): 2:34pm On Jan 18, 2007
@ trini_girl,
For the first time we seem to strike a note of concord! shocked shocked wink
Re: Christianity Is Not A Religion! by mrpataki(m): 2:41pm On Jan 18, 2007
@ Seun,
We have sometimes allowed the World settings to give definitions to who we are under God. Which the world can never define at all.

Rather we should look unto God to give us thedefinition of who we really are.
Taking a closer look at your input here, i have rather gone ahead to define what religion in the world sense is, but it does not in anyway conform to the definition of what God Himself wants with us as his children.

In a way this topic address your strong conviction to the fact that there is a God out there, who cares about you!

Will be expecting your reply soon.
Re: Christianity Is Not A Religion! by mrpataki(m): 2:46pm On Jan 18, 2007
Why bother to address belloti?

All he thinks of is sex sex sex all day.

Most of his inputs are always driven towards that fact. undecided
Re: Christianity Is Not A Religion! by belloti(m): 3:31pm On Jan 18, 2007
mr pataki i can see why catholic priest who are suppose to be celibates are mostly gay.

And i think you are wrong about me too. Sex is just an issue most of you use against Islam. you always pick it out among a million other points of discussion.

(1) (2) (Reply)

SHOCKER!!!! We Heard Prophet Ajanaku Voice- Neighbours!!! / What Happens When We Die / Why Do I See Repeating Numbers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.