Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,401 members, 7,815,876 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:04 PM

The Soofeeyah's Dislike Of Knowledge - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / The Soofeeyah's Dislike Of Knowledge (3852 Views)

4 Prayers To Increase You In Knowledge In Islam / Role Of (islamic) Students Of Knowledge By Ustadh Sulayman Amubieya / Compiled List Of Sittings Of Knowledge In Ilorin! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Soofeeyah's Dislike Of Knowledge by Nobody: 7:12am On Feb 08, 2017
Imaam Shamsuddeen Muhammad bin Ahmad bin Uthmaan ad-Dhahabi (d.748) -Rahimullaah- quoted:
‘Ibn Baakwaya said: ‘One day Abu Abdullaah bin Khaffeef saw Ibn Maktoom and his group and they were writing something, so he said:
‘What is this?’
They said: ‘We are writing such and such.’
He said:
‘Busy yourselves by learning something and do not be deceived by the speech of the Soofeeyah. I used to hide my pen in the pocket of my rags and the paper in the pocket of my garment and I would go in hiding to the people of knowledge, if they (the Soofeeyah) found out I was there they would dispute with me and say: you will not be successful, but then eventually they were in need of me (this knowledge).’

Imam ad-Dhahabi (d.748) -Rahimullaah- said:
‘This Shaykh had combined between knowledge and action and getting chains of narrations (Ahadeeth) from their sources, and would adhere to the Sunnan with a long enjoyable life in obedience to Allaah.’
[Taken from ‘Siyaar ‘Alaam an-Nubala’ 16/346 - 347]

Imaam Shamsuddeen Muhammad bin Ahmad bin Uthmaan ad-Dhahabi (d.748) -Rahimullaah- quoted Ghazali saying:
‘Ghazali said: The Soofeeyah have taken to inspirational knowledge and not proper learnt knowledge, so one of them sits with his heart being empty, with total concern he says: ‘Allaah, Allaah, Allaah’ continuously so that his heart becomes empty. The Soofeeyah do not busy themselves with recitation of Qur’aan, nor with the books of Hadeeth. So if the Soofi reaches this limit, then he stays in his house alone in the darkness and in a garment wrapped up, then at that time he hears the call of truth:
<<O you (Prophet) enveloped (in garments)! >>[Surah Al-Muddathir]
<< O you wrapped in garments (Prophet Muhammad)! >>[Surah Al-Muzzammil]
Imaam ad-Dhahabi (d.748) commented:
‘The leader of creation indeed heard <<O you (Prophet) enveloped (in garments)!>> [Surah Al-Muddathir] from Jibraeel from Allaah. As for this idiot, then he never heard the call of truth, rather he heard the Shaytaan, or he heard it from his fickled brain and did not hear it in reality, and success is adhering to the Sunnah and al-Ijmaa’ (consensus).’
[Taken from ‘Siyaar ‘Alaam an-Nubala’ 19/322-346]

A Rich Thankful Person and a Needy Patient Person who is Better?
Ibn Qayyim aj-Jawzeeyah (d.751) -Rahimullaah- after discussing the issue of: ‘The difference amongst the people about a rich thankful person and a needy patient person who is better?’
He mentions:
‘The definition of al-Faqar (poverty – needy) according to many of the people, had become such that they regarded: al-Faqar to be Zuhud, worship and manners. They labeled the one described with Zuhud, worship and manners as a Faqeer (needy person) even though he possessed wealth.
And they said about the one who is not described with Zuhud, worship and manners as not a Faqeer (needy person) even if he does not possess wealth, and perhaps it is possible that this meaning can be called Tasawwuf.

And from the people there are those who differentiate between the title al-Faqeer (needy person) and as-Soofi, then there are from these people who regard the term al-Faqeer better, and from them are those people who hold the view that the title as-Soofi is better.
Research into this issue shows that one should not look at innovated words, but one should look at what the Book and the Sunnah brought from words and meanings, indeed Allaah gave the description of His Aawliya which is that of al-Eemaan and at-Taqwa so whoever has a greater portion is better and the rich people are equivalent in regard to this, and Allaah knows best.’
[Taken from ‘Udaatus Sabireen’ p.293]

Ibn al-Qayyim’s Refutation Against the Soofeeyah in their Rejection of Knowledge
Shamsuddeen Muhammad bin Abee Bakr Ibn Qayyim aj-Jawzeeyah (d.751) -Rahimullaah- said :
‘As for what is narrated about some of them [i.e. the Soofeeyah] in that they regard knowledge as insignificant and them being in no need of knowledge, then that is like the one [Soofee] who said:
‘We take our knowledge directly from the living One, who does not die, as for you then you take it from one who lives and then dies [i.e. narrators of hadeeth].’
Another one said when he was asked: ‘Why don’t you travel so that you can hear hadeeth from AbdurRazzaq?’
He answered: ‘What can I do with narrating from AbdurRazzaq, when someone hears directly from the Creator?’
Another one [Soofee] said: ‘Knowledge is a veil between the heart and between Allaah – Azza wa Jal – [i.e. Prevents you from reaching Allaah].’
Another said: ‘If you see a Soofee busying himself with ‘Akhbarana’ (he informed us) and ‘Haddathana’ (he narrated to us) [These terms are used in narrating hadeeth] then wash your hands from him [i.e. keep away from him].’
Another one said: ‘We have knowledge from numerical codes and you have knowledge from papers.’

Ibn Qayyim aj-Jawzeeyah (d.751) -Rahimullaah- comments on their statements by saying:
‘The best of the conditions of those who say these statements and other similar statements is that he is an ignoramus who can be excused for his ignorance. Or a negligent person who acknowledges his negligence, or otherwise if it was not for AbdurRazzaq and the likes of him [scholars of hadeeth], and if it was not for ‘Akhbarana’ (he informed us) and ‘Haddathana’ (he narrated to us) then nothing of Islaam would have reached this person and those similar to him.
And whoever directs you to other than ‘Akhbarana’ (he informed us) and ‘Haddathana’(he narrated to us) then he has directed you to either, Soofee fiction, or philosophical analogy, or to his own personal opinion. There is nothing after the Qur’aan or ‘Akhbarana’ (he informed us) and ‘Haddathana’(he narrated to us) except the doubts of the people of theological rhetoric and the opinions of the deviant people, and the imaginations of the Soofeeyah, and analogies of the philosophers.

Whoever separates himself from the evidences then he becomes misguided away from the correct path, there is no evidence to lead to Allaah and Paradise except the Book and the Sunnah. Every path which is not accompanied with the Qur’aan and the Sunnah is from the path of Hell and the Shaytaan nirajeem (accursed Shaytaan).’
[Madarij vol.2 p.438-439]

Imam Muhammad bin Idrees Sha’fiee -Rahimullaah- (d.204 A.H.) said in a poem:
قال الشافعي رحمه الله
كل العلوم سوى القرآن مشغلة إلا الحديث وعلم الفقه والدين
العلم ما كان فيه قال حدثنا وما سوى ذلك وساوس الشياطين
Every knowledge other than the Qur’aan is a distraction *
Except the hadeeth and the knowledge of Fiqh of the Deen *
Knowledge is that which has ‘He said’ ‘he narrated to us’ *
Everything other than that is whisperings of Shayateen *
[‘Dewaan ash-Sha’fiee’ (p.124), ‘Bidayya wa Nihiyya’ (10/254)]
Translated by Abass Abu Yahya ( Jeddah K.S.A)

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Soofeeyah's Dislike Of Knowledge by Empiree: 5:15pm On Feb 08, 2017
Op, I believe you grew up in the 70s or 80s or 90s and I am 100% sure you were raised by sufis.

Before you are what you are today, how did you learn?. You mind answering that? . So those sufi men and women that taught you were on the path of misguidance?.

They taught you taweed right?

They taught you about Allah right?

They taught you salat right?

They taught you Ramadan right?

They taught you zakat, sadaqa and hajj right?

All the above were "inspirations" they formed from their heads right?

And here again attacking your very background. Yoruba people say.

"Odo to ba gbagbe orisun re, a gbe ni".

Don't you think you are heading that part?.

There is a hadith which speaks of later generation to come and they would bullsh!t the former. Aren't you fullfiling that now, buddy?.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Soofeeyah's Dislike Of Knowledge by AbuuBilaal(m): 8:30pm On Feb 09, 2017
People's interpretation and understanding of the term sufiyyah varies.
Personally, from my experience with those who affiliate themselves to sufiyyah, I can classify them into three:

# People of knowledge who see the term sufiyyah as a synonym with sulook (as the people of sunnah put it) or zuhd. I.e they see sufiyyah as a term for Ibadan. Example of this group is Sheikh Adam Al-Ilory, Imam Jalaaluddeen Suyootee etc. And many of our Yoruba fathers, such as Balogun Latoosa of Ibadan.
The major sign of these people is that they act with what they know to be correct in the religion. Though they are not usually free from innovations but they are closer to the truth and sunnah then innovations. You will find a lot of good and sincerity in their worship.

To these people Sufism means purification of the soul by asceticism. Nothing further, so any act that the religion encourages to as a way of worship, they imbibe it.

The second group are a bunch of learned innovators and misguided people who have been deprived of the blessings of knowledge, they hide under the pretense of asceticism to innovate all sort of evils into the religion such as saying they are not obliged to observe Solah, they can marry more than four wives, they are allowed to drink Alcohol and many other evils.

The third group are a bunch of ignorant people who have the zeal for worship but think they can worship Allah with ignorance. The best example of this is the tebligh jamah,

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Soofeeyah's Dislike Of Knowledge by Empiree: 9:49pm On Feb 09, 2017
What i dont understand is, why do people think it is only Sufis that innovate?.

The second category, a sincere critique of Sufism would know true sufi abundantly have criticized those people as well. So i really dont know what the bluff is all about. Any muslim may neglect salat and that has nothing to do with sufi. There are bunch of Arabs and many other who have neglect salat. Surveys were conducted by various musllims and non-Muslims about this. So i dont understand how this is Sufi matter to begin with. The one who doesnt pray and the one say says he has reached certain maqama, therefore he's not required to offer salat are in the same boat.

I am lost about the third category. I am not aware of tabligh jamah being sufis. They are "dawah men"
Re: The Soofeeyah's Dislike Of Knowledge by AbuuBilaal(m): 10:06pm On Feb 09, 2017
Empiree:
What i dont understand is, why do people think it is only Sufis that innovate?.

The second category, a sincere critique of Sufism would know true sufi abundantly have criticized those people as well. So i really dont know what the bluff is all about. Any muslim may neglect salat and that has nothing to do with sufi. There are bunch of Arabs and many other who have neglect salat. Surveys were conducted by various musllims and non-Muslims about this. So i dont understand how this is Sufi matter to begin with. The one who doesnt pray and the one say says he has reached certain maqama, therefore he's not required to offer salat are in the same boat.

I am lost about the third category. I am not aware of tabligh jamah being sufis. They are "dawah men"

Okay, you need to be enlightened on some confusions.

Those who neglect Solah among the Sufis regard it as a sign of eminence and prestige. You have to attain a certain level or become a waliyy according to them before being granted this acclaimed status.
So their case is quite different from those who neglect it out of laziness.
As for the tebligh, it was founded by Muhammad ilyas alKandahlawiyy, he was a deobandi sufi

2 Likes

Re: The Soofeeyah's Dislike Of Knowledge by shawl: 10:48pm On Feb 09, 2017
Imaam Shamsuddeen Muhammad bin Ahmad bin Uthmaan ad-Dhahabi (d.748) -Rahimullaah- quoted Ghazali saying:
... The Soofeeyah have taken to inspirational knowledge and not proper learnt knowledge, so one of them sits with his heart being empty, with total concern he says: ‘Allaah, Allaah, Allaah’ continuously ...

The entire write up is a mere rubbish designed to confuse unsuspecting muslims and instil hate among them. Apparently, the write up simply amounts to taking jabs at a certain group using the personal opinions that some people have against other group of people without any textual proof from the sources of the deen.

By the way, what better does one expect from the followers of (or people who have become influenced by) those who systematically destroying Islam from within?

Anyway, from the above quoted alone, suffice to say that the sufis who make zikr of Allah as thus described are obeying the commandment of Allahu ta ala from the holy Quran 7 205:

And remember your Lord within yourself in humility and in fear without being apparent in speech - in the mornings and the evenings. And do not be among the heedless(205). Indeed, those who are near your Lord are not prevented by arrogance from His worship, and they exalt Him, and to Him they prostrate.(206)

But it is not known where the one who calls them "idiot" got his evidence from. And you are happy to help spread it without any sharee' evidences.

As for the quotation attributed to Imam Ghazali, ra, I would have loved to see the direct source of the quotation and not quoting him through the author because Imam Ghazali, ra, can not be said to be opposing them when he is acknowledging the status which they attain while at the same time calling their knowledge "not proper". Something is fishy around that quotation.

"I learned from a sure source that the Sufis are the true pioneers on the path of Allah; that there is nothing more beautiful than their life, nor more praiseworthy than their rule of conduct, nor purer than their morality."

- Imam Ghazali.

Please read here in full how imam Ghazali went from being a religious scholar to totally devoting his life to sufism, from the imam's own auto biography.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?139134-Imam-Ghazali-on-Sufism-and-the-Reality-of-Spiritual-Inspiration

Brothers, don't let people fool you here on NL, about imam Ghazali being against sufism. The people who are against sufis are a small band of people who have been negatively influenced (knowingly or unknowingly) by a recent group of people working to destroy Islam from within.

Updated:
Brothers should please move closer to the truely pious sufi mashayks, true salvation in this deen is with them.

2 Likes

Re: The Soofeeyah's Dislike Of Knowledge by AbuuBilaal(m): 10:56pm On Feb 09, 2017
^please mention just one narration stating that the messenger alyhissolaat wassalaam worshiped Allah by ranting Allah, Allah. You won't find!!!

Or these Sufis understand that verse than the messenger alyhissolaat wassalaam and his companions rodiyaLLaahu anhum? !

3 Likes

Re: The Soofeeyah's Dislike Of Knowledge by Empiree: 1:20am On Feb 10, 2017
AbuuBilaal:

Okay, you need to be enlightened on some confusions.

Those who neglect Solah among the Sufis regard it as a sign of eminence and prestige. You have to attain a certain level or become a waliyy according to them before being granted this acclaimed status.
So their case is quite different from those who neglect it out of laziness.

As for the tebligh, it was founded by Muhammad ilyas alKandahlawiyy, he was a deobandi sufi
Both FALSE. Period

Is there any KNOWN sect or group with their famous leader in Nigeria who preaches obligatory salat is not mandatory for him?

I have no problem with tabligh. They contributed greatly
Re: The Soofeeyah's Dislike Of Knowledge by Empiree: 1:23am On Feb 10, 2017
shawl:

The entire write up is a mere rubbish designed to confuse unsuspecting muslims and instil hate among them. Apparently, the write up simply amounts to taking jabs at a certain group using the personal opinions that some people have against other group of people without any textual proof from the sources of the deen.

By the way, what better does one expect from the followers of (or people who have become influenced by) those who systematically destroying Islam from within?

Anyway, from the above quoted alone, suffice to say that the sufis who make zikr of Allah as thus described are obeying the commandment of Allahu ta ala from the holy Quran 7 205:

And remember your Lord within yourself in humility and in fear without being apparent in speech - in the mornings and the evenings. And do not be among the heedless(205). Indeed, those who are near your Lord are not prevented by arrogance from His worship, and they exalt Him, and to Him they prostrate.(206)

But it is not known where the one who calls them "idiot" got his evidence from. And you are happy to help spread it without any sharee' evidences.

As for the quotation attributed to Imam Ghazali, ra, I would have loved to see the direct source of the quotation and not quoting him through the author because Imam Ghazali, ra, can not be said to be opposing them when he is acknowledging the status which they attain while at the same time calling their knowledge "not proper". Something is fishy around that quotation.

"I learned from a sure source that the Sufis are the true pioneers on the path of Allah; that there is nothing more beautiful than their life, nor more praiseworthy than their rule of conduct, nor purer than their morality."

- Imam Ghazali.

Please read here in full how imam Ghazali went from being a religious scholar to totally devoting his life to sufism, from the imam's own auto biography.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?139134-Imam-Ghazali-on-Sufism-and-the-Reality-of-Spiritual-Inspiration

Brothers, don't let people fool you here on NL, about imam Ghazali being against sufism. The people who are against sufis are a small band of people who have been negatively influenced (knowingly or unknowingly) by a recent group of people working to destroy Islam from within.

Updated:
Brothers should please move closer to the truely pious sufi mashayks, true salvation in this deen is with them.
You dey mind them. I know what they trying to do. I want them keep talking.
Re: The Soofeeyah's Dislike Of Knowledge by AlBaqir(m): 7:28am On Feb 10, 2017
Empiree:
Both FALSE. Period

Is there any KNOWN sect or group with their famous leader in Nigeria who preaches obligatory salat is not mandatory for him?

I have no problem with tabligh. They contributed greatly

# First, there is no need of trying to hide or sound pitiful. Within the Sufi ta'aifa, there are extremist. However judging the entire Sufiism by the act of this minnows is what is called stupidity.

# Within every sect of Islam, there are extremists who go beyond the tenet of Islam. That is a fact.

# You will see these cavemen sweating once you attack them with Bokoharam, ISIS, Al-Qaeda, etc being of Salafi sect. This is open secret. The question is why do they attack others with innovation and extremism slogan while what they have within their cult is worse? That simply show how ignorant some of them are. And those that are not ignorant are basically sentimental.

# The OP is a newly recruit of wahabism ideology and no doubt "the thing is still dey shack him". E don happen to some of us too before grin

2 Likes

Re: The Soofeeyah's Dislike Of Knowledge by AbuuBilaal(m): 11:29am On Feb 10, 2017
The way of the righteous predecessors i.e Prophet's household, his companions and all those who follow them till the day of qiyamah, that is the one and only right path.

Allah says:

Surah An-Nisa, Verse 115:
وَمَن يُشَاقِقِ الرَّسُولَ مِن بَعْدِ مَا تَبَيَّنَ لَهُ الْهُدَىٰ وَيَتَّبِعْ غَيْرَ سَبِيلِ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ نُوَلِّهِ مَا تَوَلَّىٰ وَنُصْلِهِ جَهَنَّمَ وَسَاءَتْ مَصِيرًا

And whoever contradicts and opposes the Messenger (Muhammad SAW) after the right path has been shown clearly to him, and follows other than the believers' way. We shall keep him in the path he has chosen, and burn him in Hell - what an evil destination.
(English - Mohsin Khan)

via iQuran

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Soofeeyah's Dislike Of Knowledge by AbuuBilaal(m): 11:35am On Feb 10, 2017
The religion of Allah is one two or more contradictory things cannot be correct at the same time and place.

Only one of those numerous sects is true, any one who wishes good for himself in this world and the hereafter should pray and strive hard to achieve the truth. If you are really sincere in your search Allah will guide you to the right path.

Surah Al-Isra, Verse 25:
رَّبُّكُمْ أَعْلَمُ بِمَا فِي نُفُوسِكُمْ إِن تَكُونُوا صَالِحِينَ فَإِنَّهُ كَانَ لِلْأَوَّابِينَ غَفُورًا

Your Lord knows best what is in your inner-selves. If you are righteous, then, verily, He is Ever Most Forgiving to those who turn unto Him again and again in obedience, and in repentance.
(English - Mohsin Khan)

via iQuran

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Soofeeyah's Dislike Of Knowledge by shawl: 12:18pm On Feb 10, 2017
AbuuBilaal:
^please mention just one narration stating that the messenger alyhissolaat wassalaam worshiped Allah by ranting Allah, Allah. You won't find!!!

Or these Sufis understand that verse than the messenger alyhissolaat wassalaam and his companions rodiyaLLaahu anhum? !

If you are looking for a narration about "ranting Allah, Allah", I am sure you won't get it because that is not what the verse of the holy Qur'an mentioned. The verse says remember Allah "from within", "in humility and in fear", or "not very loudly". Or may be you don't know what "ranting" means. But the methodologies of those working to destroy Islam from within is becoming evident day by day - among which is to put a spin on a narrative, then demand evidence based on the spin. The holy Qur'an did not say "ranting", neither did Imam Ghazali, ra, say that. This "ranting" is your own and your people's inventions to try to confuse unsuspecting readers. Anyway, if this is how you interpret that verse of the holy Qur'an despite its stated clear message then your reward is with Allah Almighty, in full recompense.

Then of what use is a "narration about ranting" to someone who blantantly attempts to twist the ayat of the holy Qur'an. Will any narration, no matter how sahih, be superior to the ayat of the holy Quran, that is very clear and unambiguous in its text.

1 Like

Re: The Soofeeyah's Dislike Of Knowledge by shawl: 12:26pm On Feb 10, 2017
AbuuBilaal:

And whoever contradicts and opposes...

Your threats amounts to nothing.

Infact, that is another one of your methodologies. Threat and harrassment.

The entire OP has not verse or hadith against sufism, but it is convenient to threaten people with verses of the Qur'an afterwards.

You people are being spoken to by those same verses because you are destroying the way of the true muslims.

1 Like

Re: The Soofeeyah's Dislike Of Knowledge by Empiree: 1:01pm On Feb 10, 2017
AlBaqir:

# First, there is no need of trying to hide or sound pitiful. Within the Sufi ta'aifa, there are extremist. However judging the entire Sufiism by the act of this minnows is what is called stupidity.

# Within every sect of Islam, there are extremists who go beyond the tenet of Islam. That is a fact.

# You will see these cavemen sweating once you attack them with Bokoharam, ISIS, Al-Qaeda, etc being of Salafi sect. This is open secret. The question is why do they attack others with innovation and extremism slogan while what they have within their cult is worse? That simply show how ignorant some of them are. And those that are not ignorant are basically sentimental.

# The OP is a newly recruit of wahabism ideology and no doubt "the thing is still dey shack him". E don happen to some of us too before grin

I am not denying this at all. I am well aware of it. Fact is, I am not worried about those fellows at all.

Second, I simply asked if there is a specific sect or group KNOWN for this or just fringe within a Sufi group?. If they are simply a group they should be excommunicated.

Third, since op decided to brush Sufism with one brush, he deserves my reply accordingly.
Re: The Soofeeyah's Dislike Of Knowledge by Empiree: 6:05am On Feb 11, 2017
pretty much speaks on this subject. Help yourselves if you can

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggWUIBTKlBo
Re: The Soofeeyah's Dislike Of Knowledge by AbuHammaad: 6:22am On Feb 11, 2017
AbuuBilaal:

I thought that character was guided. Apparently, he's one of them

1 Like

Re: The Soofeeyah's Dislike Of Knowledge by Empiree: 6:57am On Feb 11, 2017
AbuuBilaal:

You people have a very strange view in conflict with Sunni majority. We have talked about this here but not with you. I think lexiconkabir. There is SPECIFIC act of worship PRESCRIBED and MUST be followed as such. Such as obligatory tenets. Other act of worship which are voluntary is up to individual to do as much as he/she can. Not everything nabi (SAW) said he did. For as long as an act is within Sharia, there is no problem. This is what Sunnis have understood. Technically, every good act is "worship". We learned that even if you remove obstacle from the road is an act of worship but it falls under different category.

I dont expect nabi (saw) to sit down somewhere and shout Allah Allah repeatedly just like i dont expect him to say after his name sallaAllahu alaiy wasalam. All these are for us. Not him.The Most Glorious Name of Creator is Allah so call him by that.

Here is Sunnis' view on saying "Allah" repeatedly

Answered by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani

Question: Assalam’aleykum,

Is it permissible for a person to say ‘Allah’ repeatedly as a form of Remembrance?

I thought we were supposed to worship Allah only in the ways He has delineated for us…

Answer: Walaikum assalam wa rahmatullah,

I pray this finds you in the best of health and spirits.

The Divine Command to ‘make much remembrance of Allah’ is general, and anything considered ‘remembrance’ (dhikr) fulfills it. Given this, it is permitted by general agreement of the majority of Sunni scholarship to make dhikr of individual names of Allah, such as the Supreme Name, ‘Allah.’

Regarding worshipping Allah ‘only in the ways He has delineated for us’, one must understand:

a) what innovation is;

b) that the ways delineated for worship and practice in the Qur’an and Sunna are two types:

i) specific;

ii) general.

Specific implementations of general ways of worship and practice are accepted if in accordance with the principles of the Shariah, and rejected otherwise.

Please see: The Concept of Bid’a in the Islamic Shari’a

And Allah alone gives success.

Faraz Rabbani

http://seekershub.org/ans-blog/2016/04/25/13865/

1 Like

Re: The Soofeeyah's Dislike Of Knowledge by Empiree: 7:08am On Feb 11, 2017
Another narrations to this effect

QUESTION:

Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

assalamu alaikum

Some people hold the beliefe that doing dhikr with Allah's name is not permisable the following looks at the evidence in the Quran and Sunnah.

Dhikr "ALLAH, ALLAH"
Wa `alaykum as-Salam wa rahmatullah:

ANSWER:

Asta`idhu billah, Bismillah al-Rahman al-Rahim:

{Say: ALLAH. Then leave them to their playing} (6:91).

{Surely by mentioning ALLAH hearts become peaceful} (13:28).

From Abu Sa`id al-Khudri, the Prophet Muhammad said, upon him peace:

"No people mention ALLAH but the angels surround them, mercy covers them, tranquility descends on them, and ALLAH mentions them to those who are with Him." (Muslim, at-Tirmidhi)

From Abu Hurayra, the Prophet Muhammad said that Allah Most High said:

"I am as My servant thinks of Me and I sit with him when he remembers Me. If he mentions Me in himself I mention him in Myself. If he mentions Me in a gathering I mention him in a better gathering." (Al-Bukhari, Muslim, al-Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah, and Ahmad)

The Prophet Muhammad said, upon him blessings and peace:

"ALLAH, ALLAH! Fear Him with regard to my Companions! Do not make them targets after me! Whoever loves them loves them with his love for me; and whoever hates them hates them with his hatred for me. Whoever bears enmity for them, bears enmity for me; and whoever bears enmity for me, bears enmity for Allah. Whoever bears enmity for Allah is about to perish!"

Narrated from `Abd Allah ibn Mughaffal by al-Tirmidhi who said: gharîb (single-routed), by Ahmad with three good chains in his Musnad, al-Bukhari in his Tarikh, al-Bayhaqi in Shu`ab al-Iman, and others. Al-Suyuti declared it hasan in his Jami` al-Saghir (#1442).

Asma' bint `Umays the wife of Abu Bakr and mother of `Abd Allah ibn Ja`far ibn Abi Talib - Allah be well-pleased with all of them! - said:

"The Messenger of Allah - upon him blessings and peace - taught me words for me to say in times of duress: 'ALLAH, ALLAH is my Lord nor do I associate with him anything!'" (Abu Dawud and Ibn Majah with a good chain)

The Prophet Muhammad upon him peace - said as narrated from Anas:

"The Hour will not rise until ALLAH, ALLAH is no longer said on the earth."

Through another chain from Anas, Allah be well-pleased with him:

"The Hour will not rise on anyone saying: ALLAH, ALLAH."

Muslim narrated both in his "Sahih," Book of Iman (belief), chapter 66 titled (by al-Nawawi): "The Disappearance of Belief at the End of Times."

Imam al-Nawawi said in his commentary on this chapter:

"Know that the narrations of this hadith are unanimous in the repetition of the name of Allah the Exalted for both versions and that is the way it is found in all the authoritative books." (Sharh Sahih Muslim, Dar al-Qalam, Beirut ed. vol. 1/2 p. 537)

Additional Remarks on the two narrations of ALLAH, ALLAH

1. Note that Imam al-Nawawi placed Anas's hadith under the heading of the disappearance of belief (iman) at the end of times although there is no mention of belief in the hadith. This shows that saying "ALLAH, ALLAH" stands for belief. Those who say it have belief, while those who don't, don't. Those who fight those who say it, are actually worse than those who merely lack belief and do not say "ALLAH, ALLAH."

2. Note that al-Nawawi highlights the authenticity of the repetition of the form to establish that the words "ALLAH, ALLAH" are a Sunna ma'thura (invocation inherited from the Prophet Muhammad and the Companions) as it stands. Ibn Taymiyya's claim that the words must not be used alone but _obligatorily_ in contruct, e.g. with a vocative form ("Ya Allah"wink is therefore an innovation departing from the Sunna.

3. One who knows that the dhikr "ALLAH, ALLAH" has been mentioned by the Prophet Muhammad himself, is not at liberty to muse whether it was used by the Companions or not in order to establish its basis. It suffices for its basis that the Prophet Muhammad said it! Sami`na wa-Ata`na!

4. One who knows that "ALLAH, ALLAH" is a dhikr used by the Prophet, is not at liberty to object to similar forms of dhikr such as HU and HAYY and HAQQ. "To Allah belong the most beautiful names, so call Him by them" (7:180). Moreover, it is established that Bilal used to make the dhikr "AHAD, AHAD" while undergoing torture. As for the hadith of the ninety-nine Names, it does not limit the Names of Allah to only ninety-nine, as al-Nawawi made clear in his commentary of that hadith.

5. Note that the Siddiqi translation of Sahih Muslim, which is almost as flawed as the Khan translation of Sahih al-Bukhari, mistranslates the first as: "The Hour (Resurrection) would not come so long as Allah is supplicated in the world" and the second as "The Hour (Resurrection) would not come upon anyone so long as he supplicates Allah."

This is wrong as translation goes, although it is right as a commentary, since saying "ALLAH, ALLAH" is supplicating Him, as is all worship according to the hadith of the Prophet: "Supplication: that is what worship is." (Tirmidhi and others narrate it.) However, concerning accuracy in translation, the word form highlighted by al-Nawawi must be kept intact in any explanation of this hadith. It is not merely "supplicating Allah". It is saying: "ALLAH, ALLAH" according to the Prophet's own wording, upon him peace.

6. The fact that an alternate version exists in Musnad Ahmad with the words "LA ILAHA ILLALLAH" instead of "ALLAH, ALLAH" in no way cancels out the wording in Muslim. We do not leave a wording in Sahih Muslim for a wording in Musnad Ahmad nor do we make TA`TEEL and TA'WEEL of an established, explicit, and authentic Nass which, furthermore, confirms the letter of the Glorious Qur'an!

7. Imam al-Nawawi's daily devotion (Wird) uses the dhikr ALLAH, ALLAH!

And Allah knows best.

Was-Salam.

Hajj Gibril
GF Haddad

[14 May 2003]

http://www.islamicity.com/forum/printer_friendly_posts.asp?TID=1150

So you people condemning this dhikr, as highlighted above shows that it is a sign of Akhir Zaman. So keep condemning it. If not for the Sufis that disturbed the world with dhikrllah and scream it loud, and especially in Nigeria, I wonder what your contribution is exactly.

And you fellow would go as far as isolating or singling out yourselves as "guided". Others are "misguided". That's sucks

Enough Said......Allah's Help is Sought

2 Likes

Re: The Soofeeyah's Dislike Of Knowledge by shawl: 8:40am On Feb 11, 2017
@empiree
Thanks for the ample citations.

The stock in trade of mischief makers is mischief. They don't have any evidence against true Sufis. The next line you will hear from them is 'dhaif' 'dhaif'. Where is their own sharee' reference so far, none.

Oh Allah, please remove this disaster from upon us where people are goaded into shattering Islam from within while thinking that they are helping it. Ameen.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Soofeeyah's Dislike Of Knowledge by Nobody: 9:26am On Feb 11, 2017
Lol grin grin so many lousy "daleel" flying around in this thread.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Soofeeyah's Dislike Of Knowledge by AbuuBilaal(m): 10:23am On Feb 11, 2017
AbdelKabir:
Lol grin grin so many lousy "daleel" flying around in this thread.

Allahulmusta'aan.

I've already kept silent and decided not to respond to any of them anymore. I've done my job which is to explain to them, whether they heed or not is left to them.

I ask Allah to make me steadfast and end upon the path of our righteous predecessors, I also ask Him to guide them to the right methodology of practicing Islam.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Soofeeyah's Dislike Of Knowledge by Nobody: 10:53am On Feb 11, 2017
AbuuBilaal:

Allahulmusta'aan.

I've already kept silent and decided not to respond to any of them anymore. I've done my job which is to explain to them, whether they heed or not is left to them.

na'am, youve done well, guidance comes from Allâh alone.

I ask Allah to make me steadfast and end upon the path of our righteous predecessors, I also ask Him to guide them to the right methodology of practicing Islam.

Ameen.

2 Likes

Re: The Soofeeyah's Dislike Of Knowledge by sino(m): 11:47am On Feb 11, 2017
I would suggest that RABIUSHILE04 should edit the topic by adding "some"....

I personally had read a book by a Sufi which was tailored to the Qur'an and sunnah, not to mention the fact the the author criticised the practices of those ignorants who claim to be Sufis. Sufism is not the issue, it is the practices introduced by the people who are ignorant or those exploiting the ignorance of the laymen that is the real issue.

1 Like

Re: The Soofeeyah's Dislike Of Knowledge by Empiree: 12:50pm On Feb 11, 2017
shawl:
@empiree
Thanks for the ample citations.

The stock in trade of mischief makers is mischief. They don't have any evidence against true Sufis. The next line you will hear from them is 'dhaif' 'dhaif'. Where is their own sharee' reference so far, none.

Oh Allah, please remove this disaster from upon us where people are goaded into shattering Islam from within while thinking that they are helping it. Ameen.
Lol...@bold part, i was expecting that. This bring to mind a nasheed where Allah Allah is repeatedly recited. Ask them if this is haram or bida

v v v v v v v

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_tjxz4yS_U
Re: The Soofeeyah's Dislike Of Knowledge by Empiree: 12:57pm On Feb 11, 2017
AbuuBilaal:

Allahulmusta'aan.

grin grin grin grin I am not disappointed at all. If hadith cited by Sufi it is "daif". if it is coming from Saudi Shuyuk, it is Sahih. yet, op claimed Sufi hate seeking knowledge. But you are providede evidence and all you could say is it is "daif". Shaking my head.

That's new version of Islam. undecided

We came to this world to meet these classifications. None of us was there. Of course you have to be "silent" now becus you weren't expecting those ahadith brought up. Everything is daif. grin

If i heard you well, you asked the brother to bring one hadith to support his claim and i helped him and all you could say is to be silent? grin cheesy Toor cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Soofeeyah's Dislike Of Knowledge by ikupakuti(m): 1:25pm On Feb 11, 2017
Empiree:
grin grin grin grin I am not disappointed at all. If hadith cited by Sufi it is "daif". if it is coming from Saudi Shuyuk, it is Sahih. yet, op claimed Sufi hate seeking knowledge. But you are providede evidence and all you could say is it is "daif". Shaking my head.

That's new version of Islam. undecided

We came to this world to meet these classifications. None of us was there. Of course you have to be "silent" now becus you weren't expecting those ahadith brought up. Everything is daif. grin

If i heard you well, you asked the brother to bring one hadith to support his claim and i helped him and all you could say is to be silent? grin cheesy Toor cheesy

Na dia way be that...so pathetic!

1 Like

Re: The Soofeeyah's Dislike Of Knowledge by Empiree: 11:58pm On Feb 13, 2017
Imam Ibn Taymiyya About Saints and Sainthood (waliy)

Imam Ibn Taymiyya mentions in the volume already cited, page 190: “A servant of Allah, Almighty and Exalted, cannot be considered a saint unless he is a true believer. Allah mentions in Qur’an, Surat Yunus, 62-63: “Now surely, on the friends of Allah there is no fear, nor shall they grieve; those who believe and guard against evil.”

He then quotes the famous hadith from Bukhari: “My servant draws not near to Me with anything more loved by Me than the religious duties I have enjoined upon him, and My servant continues to draw near to Me with supererogatory works so that I shall love him. When I love him I am his hearing with which he hears, his seeing with which he sees, his hand with which he strikes and his foot with which he walks. Were he to ask [something] of Me, I would surely give it to him, and were he to ask Me for refuge, I would surely grant him it. I do not hesitate about anything as much as I hesitate about [seizing] the soul of My faithful servant: he hates death and I hate hurting him.”

He explains the phrase, “Whoever comes against one of My saints is challenging Me to fight” thus: “It means that Allah is expressing: ‘I will seek revenge against anyone who comes against My saints like an aggressive lion.’” (p. 314)

I really dislike using the word "saint". That's christian connotation just like some muslims today use "cleric" to describe Islamic scholar. Cleric is Western and christian jargon. What is used in the Quran is waliy or awliya etc
Re: The Soofeeyah's Dislike Of Knowledge by Empiree: 12:04am On Feb 14, 2017
Imam Ibn Taymiyya About Miracles of Saints

“It is said that after the Seal of Prophets (s), revelation does not descend upon anyone else. Why not? In fact it does, but then it is not called ‘revelation.’ It is what the Prophet (s) referred to when he said, ‘The believer sees with the Light of God.’ When the believer looks with God’s Light, he sees all things: the first and the last, the present and the absent.[b][/b] For how can anything be hidden from God’s Light? And if something is hidden, then that is not the Light of God. Therefore the meaning of revelation exists, even if it is not called revelation.”

From Rama’s Fihi ma fihi.

Ibn Taymiyya continues in the same book, Majmu’a Fatawi Ibn Taymiyya: “What is considered as a miracle for a saint is that sometimes the saint might hear something that others do not hear or see something that others do not see, not while asleep, but in a wakened state of vision. He can know things that others cannot know, through revelation or inspiration.”

^

The above was denied by a brother who doesnt seem to undertsand

In another book, Mukhtasar al-Fatawa al-Masriyya, published by al-Madani Publishing House, 1980, page 603, he writes: “The miracles of saints are absolutely true and correct, and acknowledged by all Muslim scholars. The Qur’an has pointed to it in different places, and the Hadith of the Prophet (s) have mentioned it, and whoever denies the miraculous power of saints are innovators or following innovators.”

Gbam! lobatan

You talk trash about Awliya in Nigeria and elsewhere, calling them "mad people". Ibn Taymiyyah(ra) said people like you are innovators

He continues quoting the Prophet’s saying about the saints: “You are the witnesses of Allah on earth.”

So how come Imam Ibn Taymiyya would condemn soofiya in the nonsense you write in your op?. That is called CONTRADICTION
Re: The Soofeeyah's Dislike Of Knowledge by Empiree: 12:11am On Feb 14, 2017
Imam Ibn Taymiyya About the Unveiling of Appearances

He said (volume 11, page 313): “Allah Almighty will unveil to his saints states that have never been unveiled before and He will give them support without measure. If that saint begins to speak from the things of the unseen, past or present or future, it is considered from the viewpoint of Bab al-cilm al-khariq, miraculous knowledge. Anything that a saint does which is from the unseen, for people or for listeners, of healing or teaching knowledge, it is accepted and we must thank Allah for it.”

Above ^ is what i was telling abdelkabir. He thinks am crazy. Above is what Sheik Adam (ra) was referring to in his book. I owe no one any explanation

Imam Ibn Taymiyya Mentions some Great Shaikhs of Sufism

In the volume entitled Ilm as-Suluk, (“The Science of Travelling the Way to God”), which consists of the entire 775 pages of volume 10 of Majmah al-Fatawa, he says (p. 516): “The great Sufi shaikhs are well known and accepted, such as: Bayazid al-Bistami, Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani, Junaid ibn Muhammad, Hasan al-Basri, al Fudayl ibn al-Ayyad, Ibrahim bin al-Adham, Abi Sulayman ad-Daarani, Ma’ruf al-Karkhi, Siri as-Saqati, Shaikh Hammad, Shaikh Abul Bayan.

“Those great Sufis were the leaders of humanity, and they were calling to what is right and forbidding what is wrong.”

But brothers here dont believe in Awliya nor do they believe in their karamat (miracles). When such people disbelieve in these things, Allah blinds their heart. That's why they dont understand what I am saying. I owe no one explanation
Re: The Soofeeyah's Dislike Of Knowledge by Empiree: 12:15am On Feb 14, 2017
Ibn Taymiyya’s Qadiri Lineage as a Sufi Shaikh

At present we are in a position to go much further than saying that Ibn Taymiyya simply praised Sufism. We can say with definitiveness that he was an aspirant in the Sufi Way who belonged to more than one tariqat, primarily to the Qadiri Tariqat, of Shaikh Abdul Qadir al-Jilani.

In a unique manuscript of the Hanbali Yusuf ibn cAbd al-Hadi (d. 909 H./1503 CE), entitled Bad’ al-culqa bi labs al-khirqa, uncovered in the Princeton University Library, Ibn Taymiyya is listed in a Sufi spiritual genealogy with other well-known Hanbali scholars. The links in this genealogy are, in descending order from cAbdul Qadir Jilani:

Shaikh cAbdul Qadir Jilani (d. 561 H./1165 CE)

Abu cUmar b. Qudama (d. 607 H./1210 CE)

Muwaffaq ad-Din b. Qudama (d. 620 H./1223 CE)

Ibn cAli b. Qudama (d. 682 H./1283 CE)

Ibn Taymiyya (d. 728 H./1328 CE)

Ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyya (d. 751 H./1350 CE)

Ibn Rajab (d. 795 H./1393 CE)

I heard this before from Nigerian Sheik actually. Now this confirms it. Also heard from Trinidad Sheik Imran Hussein. As for statement attributed to Imam Gazali in the op is nothing but falsehood only to be found in the salafi publication and some orientalist. Rubbish
Re: The Soofeeyah's Dislike Of Knowledge by Empiree: 12:20am On Feb 14, 2017
Furthermore, there is another unique manuscript, also found in the Princeton Library, of the work of Ibn Taymiyya himself, in a book named, Targhib al-Mutahabbin fi labs Khirqat al-Mutammayyazan by Jamal ad-Dan al-Talyani. Here are Ibn Taymiyya’s own words, as quoted from a work of his, al-Mas’ala at-Tabraziyya: ”I wore the blessed Sufi cloak of Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani, there being between him and me two Sufi shaikhs.”

In another manuscript he said, “I have worn the Sufi cloak of a number of Sufi shaikhs, belonging to various tariqats, among them Abdul Qadir al-Jilani, whose tariqat is the greatest of the well-known ones, may Allah have mercy on him.”

After him, the lineage continues on to his student, Ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyya, and his student Ibn Rajab.

The references for what we have mentioned are: “al-Hadi” manuscript in Princeton Library, Yahuda Collection, fol. 154a, 169b, 171b-172a; “at-Talyani,” manuscript, Chester Beatty, 3296 (cool in Dublin, fol. 67a.

Sounds like these people have hijacked Sheikh ul Islam Ibn Taymiyah (ra) and portrayed him as extreme fringe. I know they lie anyways. Interestingly, Sheik Jilani and Ibn Taymiyyah are of Ambali school. It very crazy to even say Sufi hate knowledge and they dont read Quran. One doesn't need Phd to figure out it is lie cooked up by some nutjobs.

ikupakuti

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Break A Spell Or Magic - Jinn / Introduction To Tawheed - Continuation - Eemaan. / Ahlu Sunnah Scholars Fatawa On Bida'h

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.