Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,155 members, 7,815,026 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:24 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (106) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1983459 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) (109) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 7:30pm On Oct 04, 2017
XX01:

Wait o. So it means that even if I use my PR card as family holiday at least once a year, then after 3 years I can apply for citizenship?

Let my husband and his brother not see this. This will be a greater incentive for them not to quit Naija. lipsrsealed
imo,
For the years, days are counted. If you go on hols. you would extend your citizenship by the few days you were out of the country, so out of 5 × 365 days, you must accrue a total of 3 × 365 days..

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bbaby84(f): 7:36pm On Oct 04, 2017
salford1:

Londoner....
Mind the gap cheesy

Between the train and the platform.

I miss that town somedays sha...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 7:37pm On Oct 04, 2017
salford1:

For the years, days are counted. If you go on hols. you would extend your citizenship by the few days you were out of the country.

I don't really understand. It says they have removed minimum restriction in terms of how many days in a year. What I was asking is if a person can stay in Naija and be going there for hols using the PR card. So if I go there at least once a year for 3 years and stay about 3/4 weeks, I can still qualify?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Elixir123: 7:40pm On Oct 04, 2017
Congrats to all the seniors who have landed ,you shall all reap the good of the land Amen.
Pls did anyone go the Saskatchewan PNP route here successfully or can give Info?.I would love to ask some questions .Thanks in advance.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 7:56pm On Oct 04, 2017
salford1:

imo,
For the years, days are counted. If you go on hols. you would extend your citizenship by the few days you were out of the country, so out of 5 × 365 days, you must accrue a total of 3 × 365 days..

Ok, you have updated the info. Before, it used to be a minimum of 183 days per year for at least 4 years. However, without that minimum can you do short stays?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by laborel: 7:56pm On Oct 04, 2017
i doubt please!
your accumulated days out of the 5years must be equal or greater than 3years which is not feasible when using holidays. So, its not looking feasible.

XX01:

I don't really understand. It says they have removed minimum restriction in terms of how many days in a year. What I was asking is if a person can stay in Naija and be going there for hols using the PR card. So if I go there at least once a year for 3 years and stay about 3/4 weeks, I can still qualify?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 8:05pm On Oct 04, 2017
laborel:
i doubt please!
your accumulated days out of the 5years must be equal or greater than 3years which is not feasible when using holidays. So, its not looking feasible.

Oh thanks. That cleared it up.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bbaby84(f): 8:14pm On Oct 04, 2017
Canadianfly:
This argument on UK vs. Canada is becoming redundant. I don't know why folks who live in the UK will have mouth to compare it with standard of living in Canada. If una like UK why don't y'all stay there. grin
I lived in the UK for quite a while before moving to Canada and I can say for free that the standard of living in Canada is better than ANY part of the U.K.
Canada is different, no one cares what school you attend, all they care about is are you certified? Please let's quit derailing the thread with the comparisons. If you love the UK, stay there and don't compare and contrast with Canada. Or open UK Advantages thread undecided

*end of rant*....*runs away* grin

Come back.... that's why I like you... You spoke my mind with your plenty English.
Also the small houses in England and roads....

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bbaby84(f): 8:14pm On Oct 04, 2017
Canadianfly:
This argument on UK vs. Canada is becoming redundant. I don't know why folks who live in the UK will have mouth to compare it with standard of living in Canada. If una like UK why don't y'all stay there. grin
I lived in the UK for quite a while before moving to Canada and I can say for free that the standard of living in Canada is better than ANY part of the U.K.
Canada is different, no one cares what school you attend, all they care about is are you certified? Please let's quit derailing the thread with the comparisons. If you love the UK, stay there and don't compare and contrast with Canada. Or open UK Advantages thread undecided

*end of rant*....*runs away* grin

Come back.... that's why I like you... You spoke my mind with your plenty English.
Also the small houses in England ....
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yimiton(f): 9:11pm On Oct 04, 2017
Exhales...does it mean you haven't received yours too? I was beginning to think I was in this boat alone.

Has your profile been approved?

teewhy31:
Sighs.....oh well! I asked because we submitted about the same time. Guess I was hoping for the speed of PPR. It is well. I wonder why it takes them so long.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 10:00pm On Oct 04, 2017
Yimiton and teewhy31, please don't fret. You will receive your passports. I do understand it can be annoying. I got my application approved exactly 6 (six) weeks from the day AVO received it. After that, i still didnt get pick up email until i sent them a reminder. So trust me, I know what it is to wait.

Focus on relocation, cos it will surely come. wink

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yimiton(f): 10:24pm On Oct 04, 2017
Thanks for the reassurance. It's not like we have any other choice but to wait.

SlowlybtSurely:
Yimiton and teewhy31, please don't fret. You will receive your passports. I do understand it can be annoying. I got my application approved exactly 6 (six) weeks from the day AVO received it. After that, i still didnt get pick up email until i sent them a reminder. So trust me, I know what it is to wait.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Hephgirl: 11:55pm On Oct 04, 2017
vcole:

cheesy I know the struggle. Lol! The 3hrs is just for preschool. Daycare centres and dayhomes have different operating times based on the provider. Some open at 6.45 or 7am or 7.30am. Some close at 5pm or 5.30pm or 6pm. As a general rule a child can't spend more than 10hrs of care in a day.
Thanks alot
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by hayor2014(m): 4:50am On Oct 05, 2017
Ballerz:

My Buddy with ICAN and BSc from Ado Ekiti started and completed his CPA. He said it cost him about 6k CDN (Got exemptions), but company picked up about 4k of the bills.
Cheers

good day,kindly link me up with your buddy,I need to know how he went about the ICAN to CPA conversion asap,thanks for the anticipated response.....e mail is Olusegunoduyoye@yahoo.com

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 5:45am On Oct 05, 2017
@hephgirl I did a post on cost about 3 pages back. You can click on my moniker to see it.

@thewatcher, the cell phone bill is issued immediately after you conclude the transaction. However if I'm not mistaken I think you need a proof of address for the cell phone provider?.....i can't remember. I know I took my lease agreement along but I dunno if they requested for it.

@thecanadianfly I agree with you in the sense that the UK vs Canada living ish seemed a bit counter productive in my opinion.

We are all different and have diverse views on life. However the decision to relocate from point A to B is always individualistic. People have moved from urban to rural areas, first to third world countries and vice versa for their personal reasons. There is no right or wrong here. A permanent residency status does not equate citizenship and the good thing is that you can choose to either not land or land but yet not reside in Canada and after 5yrs you lose status. So if it doesn't seem like you want to live there, then that would be a win win situation for you. I think that there is even a provision to renounce the PR status before it expires if you so desire.

So @dupyshoo, if a move to Canada seems too much of a risk for you and your family in the near future then it's up to you to make a decision that works out in your collective best interests. One size never fits all

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by teewhy31(f): 7:15am On Oct 05, 2017
It hasn't been approved yet.... checking every hour.... still hopeful.
You are not alone o!
yimiton:
Exhales...does it mean you haven't received yours too? I was beginning to think I was in this boat alone.

Has your profile been approved?

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by teewhy31(f): 7:16am On Oct 05, 2017
Thanks. undecided @ 6 weeks...
SlowlybtSurely:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 7:42am On Oct 05, 2017
Ballerz:

My Buddy with ICAN and BSc from Ado Ekiti started and completed his CPA. He said it cost him about 6k CDN (Got exemptions), but company picked up about 4k of the bills.
Cheers

Abeg, how did he do it?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Kayla10: 7:57am On Oct 05, 2017
dupyshoo:
Like I said, circumstances change. I got Canada PR early last year when I was not sure of UK citizenship and was not too happy with my job. Now, things have changed for the best.

I can't complain of my situation in the UK currently. So, why won't I be afraid of the unknown?

This is the last time I will talk about this issue sha.

Don't let anyone run you off. Your concerns are just as valid as anyone else's. You are well within your right to comment however you deem fit. We should all try to be a bit more tolerant abeg.

I totally understand your dilemma. Truth is, it is often harder for someone in your position to migrate than say someone who is running away from the "heat" in Nigeria (figuratively and literally). And another truth is, other than getting a job you like prior to migrating, it is really difficult to devise a way of knowing if things will be better for you and yours in the new place. This is made even more complicated by the fact that you will most likely continuously compare your situation in Canada (if you migrate) to your current situation; this is great if Canada turns out better, but never a good idea, if it isn't better, talk about regret-palooza!

Bottomline is, you know yourself and family better than most people I'd say and you also know your propensity for risk-taking; so weigh this knowledge plus results gleaned from research keenly and make a decision. And if you feel like that isn't enough, keep asking as many questions as you feel the need to; this is a weighty decision and should not be taken with levity.

33 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheWatcher212: 8:09am On Oct 05, 2017
Blackbuddy:

Hope the above helps.

Thanks Champ.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dupyshoo: 9:26am On Oct 05, 2017
I wonder!!! I am a realistic and I believe in assessing situations well before taking a decision.

As vcole has rightly said, one size never fits all. People migrate from different countries daily. The fact some people struggled in a country does not mean everyone will struggle too. It all depends on one's current situation

As you have rightly pointed out, the deal breaker for me is getting a good job in my field in Canada. Anything less than that is not good enough for me.

Thanks for your comments.

Kayla10:

Don't let anyone run you off. Your concerns are just as valid as anyone else's. You are well within your right to comment however you deem fit. We should all try to be a bit more tolerant abeg.

I totally understand your dilemma. Truth is, it is often harder for someone in your position to migrate than say someone who is running away from the "heat" in Nigeria (figuratively and literally). And another truth is, other than getting a job you like prior to migrating, it is really difficult to devise a way of knowing if things will be better for you and yours in the new place. This is made even more complicated by the fact that you will most likely continuously compare your situation in Canada (if you migrate) to your current situation; this is great if Canada turns out better, but never a good idea, if it isn't better, talk about regret-palooza!

Bottomline is, you know yourself and family better than most people I'd say and you also know your propensity for risk-taking; so weigh this knowledge plus results gleaned from research keenly and make a decision. And if you feel like that isn't enough, keep asking as many questions as you feel the need to; this is a weighty decision and should not be taken with levity.

14 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 40manlappy: 9:32am On Oct 05, 2017
dupyshoo:
I wonder!!! I am a realistic and I believe in assessing situations well before taking a decision.

As vcole has rightly said, one size never fits all. People migrate from different countries daily. The fact some people struggled in a country does not mean everyone will struggle too. It all depends on one's current situation

As you have rightly pointed out, the deal breaker for me is getting a good job in my field in Canada. Anything less than that is not good enough for me.

Thanks for your comments.

Valid point @bolded

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Issyman(m): 9:35am On Oct 05, 2017
hayor2014:

good day,kindly link me up with your buddy,I need to know how he went about the ICAN to CPA conversion asap,thanks for the anticipated response.....e mail is Olusegunoduyoye@yahoo.com

I am interested in this information also. Kindly share the process when you get the information. Many thanks.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 10:35am On Oct 05, 2017
Kayla10:

I think y'all are missing the aggravation. It's all well and good to have a rethink and all that beautiful emotional poetry about leaving a "comfortable England" for the fear of the unknown. But turning the thread to a bus pass and rent thread is very unproductive to read on here. I believe that people who have never lived in either countries, sought out this thread to find out about Canada and not the beautiful goodies in the U.K. That is my point. Every other week there's an argument comparing the two countries, from price of fridge to price of chips. How does that really help anyone
To address your line on on folks running away from heat in Nigeria, it's clear that the immigration process for the U.K is not as favorable as Canada, hence dupyshoo won't seek Canadian residency because of the uncertainty she faced last year in the U.K. And I bet you, it's after so many years of slaving in a not so well paying job and still not sure what status she held in the country. Wasn't it also running away from being returned to Nigeria? I totally dislike it when folks make it out to seem that Nigerians going through any country residency is doing so solely to run away from heat in Nigeria. Like folks who Live outside Nigeria are all doing better than the ones in Nigeria. We can go a Nigeria vs. any country you love to throw in the mix and I promise you, there are pros and cons everywhere.
If anyone who currently lives in UK is rethinking moving to Canada, go find other sources or create a thread and ask people to chime in their thoughts, but derailing this one is not fair on people who know nothing about either countries and are here solely for Canada.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ehrnie: 10:39am On Oct 05, 2017
vcole:
@hephgirl I did a post on cost about 3 pages back. You can click on my moniker to see it.
However if I'm not mistaken I think you need a proof of address for the cell phone provider?.....i can't remember. I know I took my lease agreement along but I dunno if they requested for it.

Hi vcole - many thanks for your input...always appreciated. So, I've got a question Re: Proof of Address (PoA).

I always thought I could purchase a phone line and use the bill processed for that as a PoA to open a bank account. But now, if I truly need a PoA to purchase the phone line, how do you suggest I go about this - considering the fact that I wouldn't have my own accommodation asap and I intend to open a bank account asap for my PoF?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by trishachi: 10:41am On Oct 05, 2017
Blackbuddy:

Hi, see above.

Seen. Thanks Bro.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dupyshoo: 10:43am On Oct 05, 2017
@Canadianfly, points noted. There is no point going back and forth about this. It is not helping anyone!!!

Let's go back to the discussion about "the best place to be" Canada ONLY.

@Ehrnie, how far with the APEGA thingy? Were you able to convince them to wait for WES?

13 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 10:50am On Oct 05, 2017
bbaby84:

Also the small houses in England ....

Lmao. The damn thing was getting annoying to read jo grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yimiton(f): 10:51am On Oct 05, 2017
I thought I was the only one checking incessantly. I plan to send a mail to Accra as soon as it's approved!
teewhy31:
It hasn't been approved yet.... checking every hour.... still hopeful.
You are not alone o!

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by veleta: 11:01am On Oct 05, 2017
@Canadianfly,I think you can be civil in making your point without being sarcastic. Its alot easier to migrate from Nigeria and other undeveloped countries to developed countries.Each country has its pros and cos.
That someone is doing well in Canada doesn't mean everyone coming over there would make it.It boils down to grace of God .
My opinion though.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ehrnie: 11:13am On Oct 05, 2017
dupyshoo:
@Canadianfly, points noted. There is no point going back and forth about this. It is not helping anyone!!!

Let's go back to the discussion about "the best place to be" Canada ONLY.

@Ehrnie, how far with the APEGA thingy? Were you able to convince them to wait for WES?
My sister - many thanks for the follow-up. That's so thoughtful of you. Thanks again smiley I was actually going to send you a debrief email, but you beat me to it.

Yes, WES have finally sent my completed ICAP to APEGA (just end of last week). Believe me, I had to chase my Nig Uni to verify my transcript again o...I'm so glad that's over now. Thankfully, I was still within the 90 day APEGA deadline, so that was ace.

Have a great day ahead and enjoy what's left of summer. wink

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 11:15am On Oct 05, 2017
veleta:
@Canadianfly,I think you can be civil in making your point without being sarcastic. Its alot easier to migrate from Nigeria and other undeveloped countries to developed countries.Each country has its pros and cos.
That someone is doing well in Canada doesn't mean everyone coming over there would make it.It boils down to grace of God .
My opinion though.

Are you alright

Because you just echoed EXACTLY what I wrote.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) (109) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.