Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,522 members, 7,812,629 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:27 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (104) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1981810 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 5:35am On Oct 04, 2017
Wura27:

Good good.... Night crawler tinz. Trying to read up on all I've missed

I see your weather has changed. Trust u'r good....

I'm aii. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Adiahabasi: 7:06am On Oct 04, 2017
[quote author=yokus post=61076372]COPIED. This may help someone.

"josh's Post" *** A MUST READ for ALL APPLICANTS ****

« on: November 23, 2009, 10:49:35 am »

Dear Friends,

The following is a copy-paste of only 1 of 3 posts* by user 'josh'. It is a Must Read by all of us. As the great guy is busy now-a-days and his 'dil se' write-up might go into oblivion; Thus, I'm taking the liberty of reproducing it here :

*For the original click:http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/this-is-how-you-succeed-in-canada-t29170.0.html

This is how you succeed in Canada
November 17, 2009, 11:09:04 am  
Author:  
/quote] This couple must have been super heroes, babysitting 4 children and preparing for certification exams at the same time and acing the exams! or maybe the children were just angels!

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by laborel: 7:34am On Oct 04, 2017
Thanks @vcole for this...
Meanwhile, I'm so sorry for the assumption.

vcole:

Na wa. This assumption that everyone is a "bro can come off as quite distasteful. Being male is not the default human gender oh. I'm female.

As regards housing, it all depends on your preferences, family size and budget. I live in the southwest of Calgary and chose it prior to arrival because it has good school districts and I have a growing family. On getting here, I really do like my community and I have no regrets. I live in a 2 bed/2 bath condo and I pay $1200/mth with utilities and underground parking inclusive. This fell right into our family budget for housing which we made prior to arrival. So you have several options. Check rentfaster.ca and kijiji.ca A condo, basement apartment, townhouse, single home grin I'll recommend you go with am option that you know you can afford for about 6 months with your savings just in case getting a job becomes a nightmare.

As regards jobs, my experience thus far is that there are jobs; even in Alberta which is still officially in recession, you only need to be willing to do them. The chances of a new immigrant with foreign qualifications landing a job in their professional field, soon after migrating similar to what they had from their home country, anywhere in the world and not Canada alone, are slim. There are persons who have been successful at doing that but they are few and far between. I do not say this to discourage you but I say this to encourage you to be flexible and open to opportunities while on your path to achieving your "Canadian career goals"

That being said, what I have found here (as opposed to my experience and observations in the states and England - no offence to anyone currently resident in these countries) is that there truly is dignity in labour. Nobody looks down on you if you are doing a "blue collar" job. Also I've realised that even people who work at so called menial jobs here earn enough to live okay. I mean minimum wage paying jobs which is about the worst you can earn, right? You can't be homeless at those jobs. You would earn enough monthly to put a roof over your head, ride on transit to and fro work, place food on your table and clothe yourself. You won't drive a Mercedes or have dinner at earl's every Friday or wear Calvin Klein clothes but you would live okay and if you keep your head in the game, you would work your way up to where you want to be.

I apologize for this long post. I hope it turns out useful.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dustydee: 7:50am On Oct 04, 2017
salford1:

£44k is alot of money in the UK atleast in my industry and that of my wife. e.g In the electrical T & D industry out west, that is around the starting wage for our electricians and technologist (OND level) here. Engineers starts around 90k and in 5 to years could go up to around $140k.. Another 40k from OT is easily obtainable across all cadre.

Those in the oil industry make around double of that.

What province was the job you saw located? I am guessing eastern provinces.

Same for my wife's industry in healthcare. The wage in the UK is just about half of her earnings in CA. In the science, health and tech industry, wages vary accross Canada typically in a west vs east scenario. e.g The big cities jobs starting wage for my wife out east is around $39/hr. While in the west...it starts at around $47.
If that's the case, then Canada should be an attractive destination. Someone said the taxes in the UK are higher but a Canadian lady in my office who just got her UK citizenship said taxes are higher in Canada. She's a management level staff. I used to wonder why she'd take up UK citizenship until I heard her say that.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheWatcher212: 7:52am On Oct 04, 2017
vcole:

Your cell phone bill or credit card statement or bank statement can be used as proof of address.

Guys will my WES result that was sent to a relatives place serve as proof of address?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheWatcher212: 8:14am On Oct 04, 2017
vcole:

Yes I landed with my Nigerian license. It was to expire this October while my husband's had already expired. Both were the frsc biometric licenses. We wrote the knowledge test and passed and then submitted our licenses to obtain the gdl exemption which took 3 weeks after which we took the advanced road test and obtained our class 5 licenses.

Hey Ms Vcole, could you please share your experience and how/what you did to ace the knowledge test? Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Rkly1: 8:26am On Oct 04, 2017
yokus:
Ok, ill speak to her bout it.
Thank you so very much! I am very grateful. Also wanted you to know I am a She. Thank you. My family has been concerned about this accommodation stuff, now we can settle this and the peace that comes when you know there is a provision already as okayed by our own cannot be explained. Thanks dear. Looking forward to your response. Greetings everyone, God bless you all for what you are doing here.... The spirit here is one. May God bless us all and Grant us Favour in all we do. I love you all.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dupyshoo: 8:43am On Oct 04, 2017
I agree with you. Where I live in Greater Manchester, you can even get a 3-bed semi detached house in a very good neighborhood for £400 and buy a 3 bed house for about £80-110k. Bus passes are cheaper, car insurance is cheaper, council tax is cheaper, no congestion charge, you can park anywhere you like and you can even be earning a lot more than those living in London. I can't stop thinking why some people are still living in London. Suffering and smiling in my own opinion.

Adiahabasi:
Wouldn't equate London to Calgary, maybe to Vancouver or Toronto, and then Calgary to probably Manchester or Nottingham grin. A one month bus pass in Notts is abt £50, £40 for students, and a 2bedroom in a good neighborhood is in the range of 400-600£.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dupyshoo: 8:45am On Oct 04, 2017
Vcole, good to know that you are adjusting well. I will definitely consult you whenever we plan to move finally as Calgary is one of our 3 preferred locations.

vcole:

Na wa. This assumption that everyone is a "bro can come off as quite distasteful. Being male is not the default human gender oh. I'm female.

As regards housing, it all depends on your preferences, family size and budget. I live in the southwest of Calgary and chose it prior to arrival because it has good school districts and I have a growing family. On getting here, I really do like my community and I have no regrets. I live in a 2 bed/2 bath condo and I pay $1200/mth with utilities and underground parking inclusive. This fell right into our family budget for housing which we made prior to arrival. So you have several options. Check rentfaster.ca and kijiji.ca A condo, basement apartment, townhouse, single home grin I'll recommend you go with am option that you know you can afford for about 6 months with your savings just in case getting a job becomes a nightmare.

As regards jobs, my experience thus far is that there are jobs; even in Alberta which is still officially in recession, you only need to be willing to do them. The chances of a new immigrant with foreign qualifications landing a job in their professional field, soon after migrating similar to what they had from their home country, anywhere in the world and not Canada alone, are slim. There are persons who have been successful at doing that but they are few and far between. I do not say this to discourage you but I say this to encourage you to be flexible and open to opportunities while on your path to achieving your "Canadian career goals"

That being said, what I have found here (as opposed to my experience and observations in the states and England - no offence to anyone currently resident in these countries) is that there truly is dignity in labour. Nobody looks down on you if you are doing a "blue collar" job. Also I've realised that even people who work at so called menial jobs here earn enough to live okay. I mean minimum wage paying jobs which is about the worst you can earn, right? You can't be homeless at those jobs. You would earn enough monthly to put a roof over your head, ride on transit to and fro work, place food on your table and clothe yourself. You won't drive a Mercedes or have dinner at earl's every Friday or wear Calvin Klein clothes but you would live okay and if you keep your head in the game, you would work your way up to where you want to be.

I apologize for this long post. I hope it turns out useful.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dupyshoo: 8:48am On Oct 04, 2017
I think, it depends on the province and how much you are earning.

dustydee:

If that's the case, then Canada should be an attractive destination. Someone said the taxes in the UK are higher but a Canadian lady in my office who just got her UK citizenship said taxes are higher in Canada. She's a management level staff. I used to wonder why she'd take up UK citizenship until I heard her say that.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Naija4everstill: 8:56am On Oct 04, 2017
Good morning everyone, Please is there anyone who wants to send some money back to Nigeria?
I have some funds in nigeria I will like to convert to CAD. If interested pls holla. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Uglyduckling: 8:58am On Oct 04, 2017
dupyshoo:
I agree with you. Where I live in Greater Manchester, you can even get a 3-bed semi detached house in a very good neighborhood for £400 and buy a 3 bed house for about £80-110k. Bus passes are cheaper, car insurance is cheaper, council tax is cheaper, no congestion charge, you can park anywhere you like and you can even be earning a lot more than those living in London. I can't stop thinking why some people are still living in London. Suffering and smiling in my own opinion.

The weather is a factor. London is much warmer compared to Manchester. For someone like me that is really a deal breaker. Even in the winter the temperature are still 3 to 5 degrees higher in London.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Oyamade: 9:06am On Oct 04, 2017
vcole:

Na wa. This assumption that everyone is a "bro can come off as quite distasteful. Being male is not the default human gender oh. I'm female

Lmao, vcole,
(I wanted to jump and pass, but couldn't resist it)
I can't believe you are complaining..
You have the option of adding the "f" or "m" to your monika.

Nice job you are doing here though grin

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by merrymum: 9:14am On Oct 04, 2017
vcole:

Yes I landed with my Nigerian license. It was to expire this October while my husband's had already expired. Both were the frsc biometric licenses. We wrote the knowledge test and passed and then submitted our licenses to obtain the gdl exemption which took 3 weeks after which we took the advanced road test and obtained our class 5 licenses.

Ok great. Thanks a lot
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Thetherapist: 9:47am On Oct 04, 2017
A quick question please. Especially to those who got PR while pregnant. How did you scale through medicals while pregnant knowing fully well that radiological findings is part of the medical test. Or you got pregnant after medicals? @vcole and others. Abeg help me torchlight this. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maygreaves(m): 9:49am On Oct 04, 2017
vcole:

Hello Madam, does that mean you don't have your Nigerian Licence anymore?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by teewhy31(f): 11:01am On Oct 04, 2017
Hi Yimiton, any update? [quote author=yimiton post=60937035]My Dear people, please don't blame me for being impatient oh, in my mind, I am already in Canada and I plan to leave in December or latest January.

But you know, final arrangement like sale of property and booking of flight cannot be confidently done unless we see our COPR and stamped passports.

So, to help me plan properly, I will appreciate if you will drop how long it took from the day Accra received your passports to the day they you got the mail, informing you that they're ready.

We tracked and saw that ours were delivered to Accra on the 22nd of September, 2017.

Please how long did yours take?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yimiton(f): 11:04am On Oct 04, 2017
@Vcole, thanks for this very informative post.

Please when people talk about these 'menial' jobs, I always wonder what they really mean. For clarity, please give examples of the available blue collar jobs and how one can get them.

vcole:

As regards jobs, my experience thus far is that there are jobs; even in Alberta which is still officially in recession, you only need to be willing to do them.

Nobody looks down on you if you are doing a "blue collar" job. Also I've realised that even people who work at so called menial jobs here earn enough to live okay. I mean minimum wage paying jobs which is about the worst you can earn, right?

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Hephgirl: 11:14am On Oct 04, 2017
vcole:
Someone asked abiut drivers license and frsc abstract in Alberta. Can't remember the moniker. I didn't use an frsc letter or abstract for my DL here. Just my Nigerian license was sufficient.

@ajujuju2, you'll be fine dear. I am able to cope with everything else but home schooling is not one of my strengths. I have adjusted my monthly expenses to include the cost of child care. My toddler goes to a dayhome now. The 4 months he was home with us was h-e-l-l. I mean I love my son but he is that child who lives for the great outdoors and social interaction and can drive you crazy when he's home daily. He goes there at about 8am till 5pm with varied hours sometimes dependent on my availability.
Thanks for this.... My toddler is active too....
I read day care is for only 3 hrs some pages back... Seeing 8-5 just makes me so so happy.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 11:32am On Oct 04, 2017
Oyamade:

Lmao, vcole,
(I wanted to jump and pass, but couldn't resist it)
I can't believe you are complaining..
You have the option of adding the "f" or "m" to your monika.

Nice job you are doing here though grin
There is absolutely no reason why anyone should assume the gender of another person when it's undisclosed. That's the reason why adding your gender to your profile or making it public is an "option" and not the norm. So, yes I should complain. Most especially when it has become a recurring decimal of genders being assumed to be male by default. It has so many undertones to it. Does it mean that only a male has a functioning brain and the ability to make meaningful contributions to a topic and a female does not?

Since this has happened several times not just to me but to other female contributors on this platform it is worthy of mention and I do not think it's something that should keep happening. A contributor can be asked a question or mentioned without any allusions to gender.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by IvyyyN: 11:33am On Oct 04, 2017
Has anyone done any graduate certification programs at Seneca or
Humber college? awaiting PPR this wait is.......London office should hurry up jare choi!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 11:34am On Oct 04, 2017
TheWatcher212:

Hey Ms Vcole, could you please share your experience and how/what you did to ace the knowledge test? Thanks
I did that already. Please read my previous posts from August or so.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 11:36am On Oct 04, 2017
laborel:
Thanks @vcole for this...
Meanwhile, I'm so sorry for the assumption.

You're welcome smiley
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 11:44am On Oct 04, 2017
dupyshoo:
Vcole, good to know that you are adjusting well. I will definitely consult you whenever we plan to move finally as Calgary is one of our 3 preferred locations.

Hola! No worries. I'll help in any way I can.
Thetherapist:

A quick question please. Especially to those who got PR while pregnant. How did you scale through medicals while pregnant knowing fully well that radiological findings is part of the medical test. Or you got pregnant after medicals? @vcole and others. Abeg help me torchlight this. Thanks
You have the option to wear a protective jacket and get the xray done if you are pregnant or you decide to defer the xray until you are delivered of your baby after which you would then get it done. If you choose the latter then your application would remain suspended until you conclude medicals. I was about 8 weeks pregnant or so when i got my medicals done but i was not aware that I was and so I got my xray done without a protective jacket. If I was aware that I was pregnant I would have opted to get the xray done with a protective jacket.
I believe a radiographer had a debate over the matter on the express entry thread back then.
It's up to you and what you feel comfortable with after obtaining all the requires information and discussing with your doctor.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 11:54am On Oct 04, 2017
maygreaves:

Hello Madam, does that mean you don't have your Nigerian Licence anymore?
No be only madam. Hello Oga, Madam or Oga-madam.
No I do not. It's illegal to possess any other drivers license alongside the Alberta DL. So you submit all drivers licenses in your possession to the registry.
yimiton:
@Vcole, thanks for this very informative post.

Please when people talk about these 'menial' jobs, I always wonder what they really mean. For clarity, please give examples of the available blue collar jobs and how one can get them.

I think menial jobs are minimum wage paying jobs. $13.60/hr now in Alberta. Those are like Wal-Mart cashier jobs, kfc/mcdonalds etc etc front desk kinda jobs. I may be wrong but I assume these are what menial jobs here are. I met a lady recently who works part time as a customer service representative at superstore and said she gets full dental coverage and added health benefits from that job because its unionized. It was interesting to me to hear that a "menial job" had a benefits package.
Most jobs here are applied for online or by dropping your resume off at the office of the proposed employer or by word of mouth.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 11:58am On Oct 04, 2017
Hephgirl:
Thanks for this.... My toddler is active too....
I read day care is for only 3 hrs some pages back... Seeing 8-5 just makes me so so happy.
cheesy I know the struggle. Lol! The 3hrs is just for preschool. Daycare centres and dayhomes have different operating times based on the provider. Some open at 6.45 or 7am or 7.30am. Some close at 5pm or 5.30pm or 6pm. As a general rule a child can't spend more than 10hrs of care in a day.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by IvyyyN: 12:42pm On Oct 04, 2017
Just let them know that you are pregnant, they know how to handle radiology during the medicals, your tummy would be covered so it doesn't affect the baby. being pregnant does not affect your medicals...they may require that you do additional test but that's about it. i was required to do an additional test because my blood sugar was high. We scaled through medicals easily so not a problem at all.

Thetherapist:

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yimiton(f): 12:51pm On Oct 04, 2017
Thanks a lot. When I hear 'menial jobs' what readily jumps into my mind are gate keepers and corpse cleaners. I don't mean to demean any job, I mean, that's what readily comes to my mind.

vcole:

No be only madam. Hello Oga, Madam or Oga-madam.
No I do not. It's illegal to possess any other drivers license alongside the Alberta DL. So you submit all drivers licenses in your possession to the registry.

I think menial jobs are minimum wage paying jobs. $13.60/hr now in Alberta. Those are like Wal-Mart cashier jobs, kfc/mcdonalds etc etc front desk kinda jobs. I may be wrong but I assume these are what menial jobs here are. I met a lady recently who works part time as a customer service representative at superstore and said she gets full dental coverage and added health benefits from that job because its unionized. It was interesting to me to hear that a "menial job" had a benefits package.
Most jobs here are applied for online or by dropping your resume off at the office of the proposed employer or by word of mouth.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 1:06pm On Oct 04, 2017
TheWatcher212:

PR Card? I thought that came after about 8-10 Weeks. Is one allowed to use COPR?

In Ontario, PR card would come long before you can go for health card registration. This way you can have both Canadian driver's licence and PR card as proof of ID.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 1:09pm On Oct 04, 2017
TheWatcher212:

Guys will my WES result that was sent to a relatives place serve as proof of address?

No, it can't.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 1:13pm On Oct 04, 2017
dustydee:

She is right about the taxes.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 1:16pm On Oct 04, 2017
dupyshoo:

That is just like vancouver. The warmer weather and more cultural diversity could be the attraction.

(1) (2) (3) ... (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.