Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,051 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:00 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (141) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1982826 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Igbouwanile(m): 5:15pm On Nov 18, 2017
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 5:35pm On Nov 18, 2017
freeradical:
Means I have to go to Ottawa right? Do they have any arrangements where they come down to the provinces for biometrics. I really want to avoid having to travel

For now, no provision for this outside Ottawa. See this extract from the embassy website,

E-Passport Application Procedures and Requirements
Please note that the Consular Section responsible for (Visa and Passport processing) is not opened to the general public on Mondays.The Passport Section opens from 9 am to 1.00 pm Tuesday-Friday except during Public Holidays, both in Canada and Nigeria.
If you have an appointment on Monday for Passport processing at the High Commission, please kindly show up from Tuesday-Friday. The Passport Section can be reached on Telephone Number: (613) 236-0521 ext.0, ext 228 and ext 262. Email: passportinquiries@nigeriahcottawa.ca

Procedures for E-Passport

In the Passport menu, choose the E-Passport Application Form Option. If you have a Yahoo or Google account, you may use it to log into the system, otherwise select the Open ID option and create an account for the application process.
Please complete the form and print. Thereafter, click on the Submit Button.
Once the application has been successfully submitted, you will be provided with a Reference Number and Application ID. Please print it out, as you will need it later in the application process
Click on the close button to continue the application process. At the bottom of the page, click on the Proceed to checkout button to begin the payment process
On the Cart page, double check to make sure that name in the cart corresponds to the appropriate applicant. Click on the Proceed to Online Payment Button.
Choose the credit card payment option or the money order payment option and click next. If the money order payment option is selected, please follow the on screen instructions for mailing the money order. Once the money order is received, you will receive a confirmation email. If the credit card option is used, allow 30 minutes for the payment to register, and proceed to the next step.
For credit card payments, the applicant may only use his or her credit for payment of fees. No third party credit cards will be accepted.
Once the payment confirmation email is received, go to https://portal.immigration.gov.ng/pages/welcome
In the application menu, click on the Query Your Application Payment Status option. Select E-Passport in the application menu and enter the Reference Number and Application ID. Click on the Search Record button. The next page will be the Online Application Confirmation page.
On the Online Application Confirmation page, scroll to the bottom of the page and print the Payment Receipt and also print Application Confirmation. Attach these documents to the expired passport, or to the rest of the application documents (first issuance).
The applicant should appear at the Nigerian High Commission Ottawa on the appointment date, with his or her expired Nigerian passport and required documents. If the application is for a first issuance, and the applicant is under the age of sixteen, the following requirements must also be met.
Requirements for First Issue of E-passport

Passport Application form to be completed online and printed out
Payment Slip print out upon completion of form online
Acknowledgement Slip print out
Photocopy of birth certificate from National Population Commission in Nigeria
Photocopy of Local Government identification Letter
Two current passport-size photographs with white background
The Machine Readable Passport (MRP) ie the old Nigerian Passport is not acceptable as replacement or alternative for the Birth Certificate and Local Government Identification Letter.
Requirements for Renewal of E-Passport

Passport Application form to be completed online and print out
Payment Slip print out
Acknowledgment Slip print out
Applicant should come with the Expired Nigerian E-Passport
Photocopy of Bio data page of E-Passport
Two current passport-size photographs with white background
Requirements for change of name via marriage

Payment Slip print out upon completion of Application form online
Acknowledgment Slip print out
Photocopy of Marriage certificate
Consent Letter from Spouse (must be typed)
Valid bio data page of passport of Spouse
Newspaper publication in the national dailies for marriages done in Nigeria.
Court affidavit of change of name via marriage.
Requirement for Persons under the Age of 18 OR Minors

Applicants under the age of 18 (eighteen) MUST provide the following requirements:

Completed online application
Acknowledgment Slip
Payment Slip
Copy of child’s birth certificate
Letter of Consent jointly signed by child's both parents must be typed
Photocopies of the parents’ passports data page. One of the passport data pages must be a Nigerian Passport.
Additional documents for single parents (proof of custody of the child/children)
Child's current two passport-size photographs preferably with white background, and
Applicant will be required to appear in person for biometric
Requirements for Replacement of Lost e-Passport

Payment Slip print out
Acknowledgement Slip print out
Police Report.
Submission of completed online e-passport application form
Two (2) passport-size photographs with white background
Applicant should provide Passport Number of lost e-Passport.
Applicant will be required to appear in person for biometric
All passport applicants are required to be physically present on the appointment date specified on the payment confirmation receipt. If the applicant cannot be present on the appointment day, the applicant may reschedule another appointment. Applicants will only be able to reschedule the appointment after the initial appointment day has passed.

Requirements for Pick-up

An applicant will be required to present pick-up slip and the expired Nigerian Passport before receiving the E-Passport.

Requirements for Proxy Pick-up:

Letter of Authorization duly signed by an applicant requesting proxy pick-up
Valid I. D. card of authorized individual picking up Applicant's passport
Applicant’s pick up slip, and Applicant’s expired Nigerian Passport.

Source : http://www.nigeriahcottawa.ca/citizen-services/e-passport-application

Hope this helps you plan accordingly.

16 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 5:58pm On Nov 18, 2017
jonababa:

Pls how long did this search take? We dont a place for long stay in Canada when we land.

This varies according to season, budget, location. There's no set formula for how your accommodation search will go. A lot depends on when you are looking. Typically, spring is when Canadians move the most, hence the term 'spring cleaning' when they clear old things out of their homes, house selling is at a peak or when the most inventory hits the market and when people change apartments. This is generally speaking. Budget plays the next role, the more you're able to spend, the wider choices available to you. Location is another factor, if you want to be close to your landed friend who probably has his own house, rental opportunities around there may be more expensive where you have detached, semis and town home options. You should consider apartment buildings and basement suites if you're low on funds. If you focus on lower middle class neighbourhoods, you'll find more affordable options. But don't let cost alone decide your choices. Prevalent low rent most probably means low income neighbourhood which leads to high crime incidences and poor security issues. It's the same all over the world, where you have a high concentration of people paying low rent, crime is high. Family people, please consider the sort of neighborhood where you will house your kids.

You should enhance your accommodation search by spreading your search options. Word of mouth, free rental magazines available at major bus stops and shopping malls, online search on rental sites increase the pool of what is available to you. Be prepared to go out and look. A lot of us newly landed folks depend on family and friends to take us out and help us look. This is understandable but limits you obviously. You should take the bull by the horns, learn to use Google Maps yourself, study your local public transport system to know your city better, take the bus, train, tram. Rely less on taxis and Uber if you know your pocket is not deep. Get lost 3 or 4 times finding a place. It's good education for you and will increase your confidence when you're able to find your way around without depending on others to chaperone you. In my case, it took me 1 week and 3 days to get my apartment after landing. You can search the thread to read of my experience and other tips I previously shared. Trust this points you in the right direction.

36 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 6:51pm On Nov 18, 2017
Blackbuddy:

For now, no provision for this outside Ottawa. See this extract from the embassy website,

E-Passport Application Procedures and Requirements
Please note that the Consular Section responsible for (Visa and Passport processing) is not opened to the general public on Mondays.The Passport Section opens from 9 am to 1.00 pm Tuesday-Friday except during Public Holidays, both in Canada and Nigeria.
If you have an appointment on Monday for Passport processing at the High Commission, please kindly show up from Tuesday-Friday. The Passport Section can be reached on Telephone Number: (613) 236-0521 ext.0, ext 228 and ext 262. Email: passportinquiries@nigeriahcottawa.ca

Only in Naija sha (since Nigerian embassy in Ottawa is also Naija). Why give me an appointment for Monday if you’re not open on Mondays?? Then you tell me if I have an appointment for Monday, I should come Tuesday - Friday. So you can tell me to come back another day as I don’t have an appointment

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by A555: 9:08pm On Nov 18, 2017
erhnie:

Hi - I got my passport + CoPR back before I started my apega Registration. I don't recall any question on citizenship but I know there was a question on PR status (can't recall how it was worded though). Someone on this thread said he/she called apega and they confirmed that YES, you can start your registration outside CAN. I think that's the best thing to do because the application process can take up to 9 months. The last thing you want is to get to CAN and not be able to get a job related to your discipline because you are waiting on apega to come through.

I have just skimmed through the apega guide for P. Eng & Licensee and I see the citizenship question was asked. Perhaps this is what you are looking at instead of the Member-In-Training form....

With regards to the years of work experience I think I have a bit of clarity on that now after speaking with a friend who is an Engineer in Alberta. So, if you indicate your work experience (which is over 4 years), you can be eligible for Engineering Licensee. An Engineering Licensee is someone that would have been eligible for P. Eng status but just lacks Canadian experience. So, the same rules apply where one still must work under a PEng to gain the 1-year experience.

Note that if you go for the Licensee option, you will have to write the NPPE exam and fill in a logbook outlining your work experience. In my opinion starting with EIT is a better option since you’ve not written the NPPE yet and once you write it and all your experience is logged in and accounted for, you’ll get your PEng automatically.

The choice is yours -all the best!

Hello everyone. For those that have completed the APEGA registration (P. Eng, licensee or EIT), does one need to submit foreign transcripts to APEGA in addition to the WES report please?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DatechMan(m): 9:43pm On Nov 18, 2017
Saintp:

I thought all drivers license will have date of first issue. Check the new license well, they date of first issue should be written on it.

Date of 1st issue is 02/2016. I remember the woman that helped my process it told me I had to do new one from scratch since the license I had was the old type. I was told it cannot be renewed.
Chaii. What can be done?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 9:55pm On Nov 18, 2017
Bsbabe:

Only in Naija sha (since Nigerian embassy in Ottawa is also Naija). Why give me an appointment for Monday if you’re not open on Mondays?? Then you tell me if I have an appointment for Monday, I should come Tuesday - Friday. So you can tell me to come back another day as I don’t have an appointment

Lmao. But why Nigerian embassies across the world all gotta act like they in Nigeria? grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Saintp(m): 7:49am On Nov 19, 2017
DatechMan:

Date of 1st issue is 02/2016. I remember the woman that helped my process it told me I had to do new one from scratch since the license I had was the old type. I was told it cannot be renewed.
Chaii. What can be done?

How come? As at 2014, they were issuing new licences. Are you sure they did not give you fake license?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 11:37am On Nov 19, 2017
DatechMan:

Chaii. What can be done?
Have you landed? You should simply wait till 02.18. It's barely 3 months away. By then you'll have the 2yrs experience to qualify you for gdl exemption.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 12:28pm On Nov 19, 2017
Bsbabe:

cheesy grin cheesy how can someone who has an appointment on Monday be told to come Tuesday to Friday grin cheesy
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 2:13pm On Nov 19, 2017
Igbouwanile:

Okay, I will be heading to Fredericton, what can u say about that & hw is check in like here in Nigerian airport.. pls explain what u mean by the bolded?
wow! would be glad if my own bag isn't opened.

Thanks.

Oga what do u want to carry that you're so concerned about it being searched, anyways, searching dey enter their head, they may or may not search, so pray u get there when their head is alright grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DatechMan(m): 8:52pm On Nov 19, 2017
vcole:

Have you landed? You should simply wait till 02.18. It's barely 3 months away. By then you'll have the 2yrs experience to qualify you for gdl exemption.
I already booked a flight. Are you suggesting I should leave naija in February? Can't I be in Canny and request still request for it?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kachikapor(m): 10:47pm On Nov 19, 2017
hi everyone. i've been reading(in the background) and now i'm ready to ask my questions. kindly indulge me. My wife and i will be arriving in april and i would like to hear from the guys who recently arrived in Toronto as this is where we intend to stay.I would like to have details of your arrival and temporary accomodation experiences. We are planning on using airbnb but the reviews here leave a lot to be desired. I would like to know if there's anyone here that decided to find an apartment in downtown toronto and what the challenges of living in sucha big city are. Thank you all for your contributions so far. lets keep them coming.

Oh we are thinking about coming with Egyptair. Any comments?

Regards

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by coolhayor: 11:22pm On Nov 19, 2017
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by olajide21: 7:05am On Nov 20, 2017
kachikapor:
hi everyone. i've been reading(in the background) and now i'm ready to ask my questions. kindly indulge me. My wife and i will be arriving in april and i would like to hear from the guys who recently arrived in Toronto as this is where we intend to stay.I would like to have details of your arrival and temporary accomodation experiences. We are planning on using airbnb but the reviews here leave a lot to be desired. I would like to know if there's anyone here that decided to find an apartment in downtown toronto and what the challenges of living in sucha big city are. Thank you all for your contributions so far. lets keep them coming.

Oh we are thinking about coming with Egyptair. Any comments?

Regards

With Egypt Air, pray your dear fish and other foodstuffs are safe.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yokus(f): 8:55am On Nov 20, 2017
So ive read that it take atleast 3months to get Health card in Toronto. Pls Seniors how much is private health insurance that will cover the 3months wait period? Or what options are available.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ehrnie: 10:24am On Nov 20, 2017
A555:

Hello everyone. For those that have completed the APEGA registration (P. Eng, licensee or EIT), does one need to submit foreign transcripts to APEGA in addition to the WES report please?

Hi - WES sends ALL your academic documents (including transcripts) to APEGA.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 10:39am On Nov 20, 2017
yokus:
So ive read that it take atleast 3months to get Health card in Toronto. Pls Seniors how much is private health insurance that will cover the 3months wait period? Or what options are available.

You can take out private insurance for the 3 month waiting period. The cheapest I saw was around $400 for a family of 4. Can't even remember the name again.

However, there are a few clinics that take in uninsured immigrants/refugees. Below are some of them. Take note of the hours/days of operation and check the ones that are walk-ins or appointment onlys.

Also, if you stay in the Mississauga or Brampton areas, there is a non-profit organisation called Four Corners. They cover you for 90 days till you get your health coverage. Link below:

http://www.fourcornershealthcentre.ca/programs/primary-health-care.html

One can only pray not to have any serious ish that will require referral to a hospital or use of ambulance. That can set one back by some thousands.

16 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 2:08pm On Nov 20, 2017
yokus:
Don't fall sick.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by alt3r3g0: 2:44pm On Nov 20, 2017
Ehrnie:

Please confirm one can start as EIT, and later bring in previous experience. I heard with the drivers license, this is not possible. Once you start from class 7, you are stuck.

@ Salford1
For the one year experience phase, would Apega give any assistance?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yokus(f): 3:40pm On Nov 20, 2017
Thanks alot @Slowlybtsurely, @azed1 ah just what if.

SlowlybtSurely:

You can take out private insurance for the 3 month waiting period. The cheapest I saw was around $400 for a family of 4. Can't even remember the name again.

However, there are a few clinics that take in uninsured immigrants/refugees. Below are some of them. Take note of the hours/days of operation and check the ones that are walk-ins or appointment only.

Also, if you stay in Mississauga or Brampton areas, there is a non-profit organisation called Four Corners. It covers you for 90 days till u get your health coverage. Link below:

One can only pray not to have any serious ish that will require referral to a hospital or use of ambulance. That can set one back by some thousands.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 3:44pm On Nov 20, 2017
yokus:
Thanks alot @Slowlybtsurely, @azed1 ah just what if.

There's no what if oh, i took anti malaria drugs before I left Nigeria, I even traveled with some. If Weather drops by 1 degree, thickness of my clothes increase by 2.

You'll be fine though. Just treat malaria before you come.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by koonlay5: 4:11pm On Nov 20, 2017
Please explain further

DatechMan:

Chaii. What can be done?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by A555: 5:28pm On Nov 20, 2017
Ehrnie:

@Ehrnie: Thanks. I was actually planning on asking you specifically, but you've been quiet for a few weeks and I wondered if you'd moved on to another thread.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by gracelevel: 5:45pm On Nov 20, 2017
honey86:

Financial sector in Canada is big, in what area are you interested in?

please what can you advise on these 2 careers insurance ; project administration ...to prepare as PR comes through

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 6:20pm On Nov 20, 2017
AZeD1:

There's no what if oh, i took anti malaria drugs before I left Nigeria, I even traveled with some. If Weather drops by 1 degree, thickness of my clothes increase by 2.

You'll be fine though. Just treat malaria before you come.

How about kids? You can't really predict how their system will react to a new environment especially with the cold.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 6:21pm On Nov 20, 2017
SlowlybtSurely:

However, there are a few clinics that take in uninsured immigrants/refugees. Below are some of them. Take note of the hours/days of operation and check the ones that are walk-ins or appointment only.

Also, if you stay in Mississauga or Brampton areas, there is a non-profit organisation called Four Corners. It covers you for 90 days till u get your health coverage. Link below:

Thanks. I really appreciate this information.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 6:28pm On Nov 20, 2017
XX01:

How about kids? You can't really predict how their system will react to a new environment especially with the cold.
Can't answer that ma'am as I have no kids, but make just the kids are over dressed because of the cold.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DatechMan(m): 7:51pm On Nov 20, 2017
koonlay5:
Please explain further

It probably means that the one that I was using before was fake, hence why the Date of 1st issue is 02/2016.

If I get to Canada now and wait till February to request for the letter, is it still going to work out?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ugoiyke79e: 10:22pm On Nov 20, 2017
DatechMan:

It probably means that the one that I was using before was fake, hence why the Date of 1st issue is 02/2016.

If I get to Canada now and wait till February to request for the letter, is it still going to work out?

I dont think so.
Its supposed to be a driving "experience" duration being counted.
once u land, your naija drive history should end that day....you cant count in days u are in canada and not driving there.
It would have been bettter u complete that 2yrs in naija ...u could reschedule your flight date....but then u have to weigh other things and consider the options left to u...
This is what i "think" . let our seniors weigh in.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by veleta: 10:29pm On Nov 20, 2017
It's always advisable to go with anti malaria drugs and antibiotics especially those with kids.The first couple of months is not usually easy cos of change in weather and environment.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.