Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,902 members, 7,814,056 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:22 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (142) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1982834 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kachikapor(m): 12:58am On Nov 21, 2017
czaratwork:
I am not young and I have made up my mind to settle in Toronto.

Hi Czaratwo
rk. I like your spirit. Have you landed in toronto?and if yes, any thing you can share would be much appreciated. I intend to arrive in April.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by atiteb4: 1:20am On Nov 21, 2017
Please pictures to keep this thread beautiful.....

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Igbouwanile(m): 1:21am On Nov 21, 2017
MummyJaygirls:

Oga what do u want to carry that you're so concerned about it being searched, anyways, searching dey enter their head, they may or may not search, so pray u get there when their head is alright grin
Lolz, u alone know what you are insinuating, it's just foodstuff am asking for, so be positive & don't deviate.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by olajide21: 6:53am On Nov 21, 2017
atiteb4:

Ok make i helep you....

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by olajide21: 6:59am On Nov 21, 2017
I wish those were my bags and bagages in that parquet floor finished room. Alas, my bag still dey Abuja.... Those were pictures i got from Landed People......

11 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by olajide21: 7:01am On Nov 21, 2017
atiteb4:

Besides, is this Femi Atitebi?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 7:30am On Nov 21, 2017
DatechMan:

I already booked a flight. Are you suggesting I should leave naija in February? Can't I be in Canny and request still request for it?
No i meant that you shouldn't commence the process for obtaining a canadian license until end of february next year. It is the date you apply for n pass the knowledge test that your foreign license would be collected for the purpose of assessing you for an exemption from the 2yrs gdl prog you are allowed to drive witj your foreign license as a pr for 90 days after landing.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ehrnie: 9:33am On Nov 21, 2017
A555:

@Ehrnie: Thanks. I was actually planning on asking you specifically, but you've been quiet for a few weeks and I wondered if you'd moved on to another thread.

lol - I'm still here brov/sis...I only read and then respond to things I have knowledge about. I also dodge arguments especially the UK vs Canada ones cheesy

anyways, you're most welcome and all the best with APEGA

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ehrnie: 9:37am On Nov 21, 2017
alt3r3g0:

Please confirm one can start as EIT, and later bring in previous experience. I heard with the drivers license, this is not possible. Once you start from class 7, you are stuck.

@ Salford1
For the one year experience phase, would Apega give any assistance?

Yes, EIT is the starting point for most people without CAN work experience. Once you get the 1 year experience, then you can add that to your other experience (in the relevant field) and apply for PEng. This is what I was told (I stand to be corrected though).
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DatechMan(m): 10:05am On Nov 21, 2017
vcole:

No i meant that you shouldn't commence the process for obtaining a canadian license until end of february next year. It is the date you apply for n pass the knowledge test that your foreign license would be collected for the purpose of assessing you for an exemption from the 2yrs gdl prog you are allowed to drive witj your foreign license as a pr for 90 days after landing.

Thank you vcole. Thats what I intend to do.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 10:12am On Nov 21, 2017
DatechMan:

Thank you vcole. Thats what I intend to do.

you are welcome.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ayoboy1: 11:26am On Nov 21, 2017
Bro, still counting on you. Just a gentle reminder. Thanks
koonlay5:
Why not apply for your certificate of good driving record before you leave. It will take about 5 working days to have it. I advise you travel with that also.

Don't worry about the permanent card, it would not be ready.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 3:47pm On Nov 21, 2017
Fellow Canadians especially the Ontario family, brace your self for an interesting winter smiley Please take advantage of the ongoing sales of winter clothing and get good deals, thermal underwear is a must. See this update on the weather from the Toronto Star;

Most of Canada, including Ontario, will see a stormy winter, according to meteorologists at the Weather Network.

One of Canada’s high profile weather forecasters is warning Canadians across the country to brace for a whole lot of snow this winter.

Chris Scott, The Weather Network’s chief meteorologist, says the message from his forecast team is “buckle up, because it looks like a stormy winter.”

Scott says this year’s La Nina weather system bears a striking resemblance to that of 2007-2008, when Toronto had its snowiest winter on record.

“History tells us that when we have cooler waters off the coast of South America, that’s La Nina, and those winters tend to be classic Canadian winters.”

British Columbia, the Prairies, Ontario, Quebec and Atlantic Canada are all in store for above normal levels of precipitation, according to the forecast.

In western Canada, that precipitation will likely be snow as the region shivers in below normal temperatures.

In Atlantic Canada, where temperatures are expected to be close to above normal, forecasters expect plenty of snow and ice but periods of milder weather and rain will keep snowbanks from getting too high.

Scott says storms with lots of snow are forecast for December in the eastern half of Canada, while in the western half of the county, the winter conditions are expected to start in January.

La Nina winters often mean changeable weather, and Scott says that while Canadians can expect to be pounded by numerous snowstorms, there will also be sustained periods of milder weather.

“You might get two out of three months where you think, ‘wow, that was a wild winter,’ and then one month where the winter goes away,” he explains. “But this will be a winter that’s more on than off.”

Scott says Southern Ontario and Quebec might see mild conditions during all of January.

The weather pattern also calls for a winter that lingers, meaning the country could experience snowstorms as late as March.

Scott notes that in the prairies a strong snow pack could benefit soil conditions and help produce a bountiful spring harvest.

Ski resorts are also anticipating a banner season, especially in western Canada, where the coastal mountains are already getting snow.

The only region of Canada not following the nationwide trend is Nunavut, which has seen warming temperatures in recent years due to global warming. Scott says Nunavut can expect warmer than usual temperatures again this winter, along with average levels of snow.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/11/20/prepare-for-more-snow-than-usual-this-winter-forecasters-say.html

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by upgrade: 3:55pm On Nov 21, 2017
Mr Nobody pls I need details for uae pcc pls where did you get the docs in Abuja pls help.

cheesy grin cheesy how can someone who has an appointment on Monday be told to come Tuesday to Friday grin cheesy

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by upgrade: 4:04pm On Nov 21, 2017
@nobody
Pls help

cheesy grin cheesy how can someone who has an appointment on Monday be told to come Tuesday to Friday grin cheesy

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Cordial123: 7:02pm On Nov 21, 2017
Hi everyone,

I am in a dilemma. Hubby and I landed in Calgary about a week ago. We are planning to get a car soon but dont know whether to wait and drive a bit with our Nigeria driving license or hand over the naija license and get a Class 7 Alberta license now (We have about 5 years driving experience in Naija, so we will be applying for GDL Exemption). Which license will be easier to get auto insurance (naija license or Class 7)? How long does the GDL exemption takes? Also, can anyone suggest how to get affordable auto insurance in Calgary?

Thank so much!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by adeza: 10:04pm On Nov 21, 2017
My naija driver’s license will be 2years in January, I did the knowledge test and applied for exemption. I have the class 7 license and they said I can go ahead and do the basic road test now or wait till January for the advanced road test.

I had a baby last Wednesday , PR cards received and my older child has been paid child benefits for October & November, thought we had to wait for 3months before the ist pay

24 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by atiteb4: 1:21am On Nov 22, 2017
olajide21:

Besides, is this Femi Atitebi?
no sir. Atitebi ridwan adedayo
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tese(f): 2:48am On Nov 22, 2017
vcole:
Someone asked about snow photos. I put up some when it snowed here on october 1st.

@damonas I would really prefer if you ask your questions here if you don't mind. Unless it's really personal info. It's just easier for others to also benefit in my opinion. I had my baby at Rocky view and got referred to an ob from my gp. It may take you a couple of weeks to get an ob referral just because the way the system runs your gp may end up taking all of your prenatal consults and may even take your delivery. I wanted an ob because I was concerned about certain issues so I requested and insisted until I got one.

@einsteino about jobs. Well, in 2 days I'd have spent 6 months in Calgary. First 2 months were spent pregnant. I'm in a licensed profession so I may not be the best person to give reviews about jobs but about 2 months ago I attended a job fair and got a job but I ended up declining that offer because it involved working with kids which is not my strong point and also because I applied for and got accepted into a government funded program that gives employability skills training and an internship and I opted for that because it would give me more benefit in the long run and i get paid too. Most new migrants in the health sector tend to work as care aides but I'm a bit glad I didn't have to because honestly I'm not well suited to those jobs. In my opinion, you would get a job if you keep searching. It may not be your dream job initially but you won't starve.

Hi vcole,
Please I am a medical doctor (comm health resident) with a masters in international health (from amsterdam). I just got PPR.....I m moving to Ontario in April. Please do you have any advice about public health jobs or internships that one can do. Like you, I m not looking forward to carer jobs....plus I have not evaluated my masters degree (I only did the MBBS at Physiciansapply)...please which institution should I use to evaluate my masters degree. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Rocorleone: 6:42am On Nov 22, 2017
@Feygbe, @vcole, @blackbuddy and other knowledgeable folks. I've just got my letter of experience from FRSC, an international driver's licence and my expired nat'l driver's licence. What is the next step to apply for the Canadian driver's licence?
I'm in BC though

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Feygbe: 11:29am On Nov 22, 2017
adeza:
My naija driver’s license will be 2years in January, I did the knowledge test and applied for exemption. I have the class 7 license and they said I can go ahead and do the basic road test now or wait till January for the advanced road test.

I had a baby last Wednesday , PR cards received and my older child has been paid child benefits for October & November, thought we had to wait for 3months before the ist pay

Congratulations on the birth of your baby grin

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Feygbe: 11:32am On Nov 22, 2017
Rocorleone:
@Feygbe, @vcole, @blackbuddy and other knowledgeable folks. I've just got my letter of experience from FRSC, an international driver's licence and my expired nat'l driver's licence. What is the next step to apply for the Canadian driver's licence?
I'm in BC though
Pls visit this webpage:
http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/moving-bc/Pages/Moving-from-another-country.aspx

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by EKPETI(m): 1:08pm On Nov 22, 2017
Hi,

I want to thank everyone for their contribution on this thread. Pls, my question is this, do Canada issue visa with work permit(2years visa).

Thank you!

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Lalaska(m): 1:18pm On Nov 22, 2017
Rocorleone:
I'm in BC though
How much did you pay? How long did it take you? Do you get it in Lagos or Abuja
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 2:00pm On Nov 22, 2017
EKPETI:
Hi,

I want to thank everyone for their contribution on this thread. Pls, my question is this, do Canada issue visa with work permit(2years visa).

Thank you!

Yes, but Nigerians are not eligible.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by soja84: 2:19pm On Nov 22, 2017
Rocorleone:
I'm in BC though

Hi....Please can you assist with the process of getting the FRSC letter?Please let me know if your contact can help.How much did you get the international driver's licence? Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 2:54pm On Nov 22, 2017
soja84:

Hi....Please can you assist with the process of getting the FRSC letter?Please let me know if your contact can help.How much did you get the international driver's licence? Thanks.

Please see this beautiful compilation from Glitteringstar, https://www.nairaland.com/3617393/living-canada-life-canadian-immigrant/113#61210256

9 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by koonlay5: 6:41pm On Nov 22, 2017
Apologies, I have replied your mail.

Ayoboy1:
Bro, still counting on you. Just a gentle reminder. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 6:53pm On Nov 22, 2017
Been off for sometime. i guess the hard reality hit me. Man must hustle.

I eventually landed in mississauga so i dont know much about toronto.

One thing i can take from my experience is that everybody's story is different.

The way it worked for Mr A will not necessarily be the same way it will work for Mr B. But it will all pan out well for us.

I couldnt get into the access employment bridging program for financial services on October 30th and was told to wait till January ending. I guess it was my fault because i got there 30 minutes later than it started. No African time here o. Before you start blaming me for going late, i had a last minute disappointment on that day so i just took it that providence played its role.

How do i wait for 3 months before getting into another one? I sha got myself something to keep stop my POF from depreciating.

In order to avoid what happened to me on the day my access employment bridging program was to start i had to map out my bus route a day before my job was to start. That was when i noticed COSTI immigration services dey my doormat self. Na so i go register with them and fashied Access Employment(you can't do both). I have been assigned a Consultant and have signed up for TRIEC mentoring partnership under COSTI.

I am running late for work. Here no be naija and even in naija i have never been late for work.

I will continue my gist some other time. Make i go do my cabbage fufu and eat with my ogbono and onugbu. (weight loss tinz) My work na from 3.30pm till 12 midnight.

kachikapor:

Hi Czaratwo
rk. I like your spirit. Have you landed in toronto?and if yes, any thing you can share would be much appreciated. I intend to arrive in April.

36 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 8:00pm On Nov 22, 2017
Blackbuddy:
Fellow Canadians especially the Ontario family, brace your self for an interesting winter smiley Please take advantage of the ongoing sales of winter clothing and get good deals, thermal underwear is a must.

Broda Blakky, pls what stores are doing sales, can we get a link?

(1) (2) (3) ... (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.