Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,801 members, 7,810,085 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:23 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (175) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1980500 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (172) (173) (174) (175) (176) (177) (178) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 9:51pm On Dec 29, 2017
fabyom:
is a bus trip from Ohio to Windsor Canada possible without immigration check
maternal:

Is this a serious question? If so respect yourself.
grin
Of course, it's not possible.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by KMBA: 1:24am On Dec 30, 2017
Nogen:

Merci bien. Vous pouvez le faire aussi. Avez-vous votre visa? Je vous souhaite Bonne Chance!

Bienvenue au Québec! J’espère que vous êtes assez bien installés et que le froid ne dérange pas trop!

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 4:52am On Dec 30, 2017
vcole:
e don tey. How now? How the cold for your side?
good good , I suppose DM you soon,
regards to the family, happy new year in advance.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Demo213: 6:36am On Dec 30, 2017
grin grin grin can't stop laughing. grin. Welcome to Edmonton.
I had similar experience sometimes back.........that was the last time I took a bus......and now......there is no way I'm jumping buses at -36°C. No way! (Thank God I have a beautiful wife that quite understand...)

MummyJaygirls:
So yesterday I say I wan buy small supplies for house, oga say “don’t go, it’s too cold after we register the car, we would go together on Thursday”, me I say I want to go, why are u trying to dull me na? na so I wear cloth enter -29 weather.

I Dey hail mysef Say ahnn ahnn, this my baffing up is ok o, I’m not cold. Na so I waka reach the bus stop near the house,
Then I realized say the area get plenty bus stops and I was at the wrong one, I wasn’t sure which one I was to wait at, I brought out my phone to use the map and the battery just drained, even the phone know say the cold na gangster.

After trekking from one end of the street to the other, I decided to wait at the one that looked more like a busy road to me. My nose felt frozen, poor me cry

When I look time, it was past the time I saw online that the bus would arrive, and the next was for 30mins later, jisox, so I go sidon wait outside? E mean say na ice mummyjaygirls dem go come carry o, then I thought of how my oga go tell me say shebi I said don’t go, so I followed the stubborn part of my brain and decided to sit and wait for the bus.

After small time (20mins) I decided to walk to another bus stop, I never waka far when I saw the bus on the other side of the road dropping off passengers, so I turned back to wait again. Like 10 minutes later, the bus arrived. Yippie!

I hopped one, sat at the back to the final stop. The initial plan was to use Uber to the store, but when I got there the “devil” in me say why don’t u just complete the journey with the bus na? Na im I ask bus driver say I Dey go .... he say enter that one, so I entered and told the driver say, see where I Dey go o, he say ok, sit down, we dey go dey go, I no Dey gree reach my destination, next thing I saw was the bus station, Chineke! This guy don do me one chance, so I told him say bros, where the place where u suppose drop me na, he say “sorry, I didn’t see it” hian! Thunder fire u, hiss.

So he says where exactly is the place, i say ...., o get on that bus, so I did again, this time I turned on google map and it showed the place was around the area, but as per no be molue and u can’t stop anyhow, I had to wait till the next bus stop.

By this time, I don already tire, I say make I use Uber as e no far from where I stop, so e no go too cost, my village people say “ur suffer never reach us” Uber no gree work, e say ur number isn’t registered, blood of Zachariah! Bet y meeee! As I Dey think how I go do, yellow cab just passed in front of me, see as I copy the number sharp sharp, called them (while praying the phone wouldn’t die on me) and in a few minutes my taxi arrived, the rest they say is history.

When I reach house na so I face heater for my body while drinking hot milo and slept off on that spot. Lol

So that’s my first over sabi experience in Canada o.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nogen: 9:47am On Dec 30, 2017
KMBA:

Bienvenue au Québec! J’espère que vous êtes assez bien installés et que le froid ne dérange pas trop!

Merci beaucoup. Je viens de trouver un bel appartement pour démènager le 3 janvier. Mais, le froid là? C'est une histoire d'autre jour. Ç'ira car je n'ai aucun choix. Lol
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nogen: 11:33am On Dec 30, 2017
Meeen! The cold got a better part of me yesterday. I came back exhausted!

My house hunt yesterday took an interesting turn. I saw an advert on kijiji about a fully furnished apartment for 750$ a month. In my mind, it's a great deal. I took a taxi to the apartment and I wasn't satisfied. Na wao for these Canadians , they said fully furnished but I met nearly empty apartment. 2 dirty sofas in the living room, cooker, fridge , Internet. That's all. Is this what I will pay 750$ monthly? No space for my kids to play except I take them to a nearby park.

I left the place to a second apartment , managed by the same agent. A 3 and half , better than the first one at 550 dollars a month. Has 2 dirty sofas again. I looked at the environment and said maybe we could manage this.

I then went to look for Service Canada office to obtain my Social Security number. The house agent took me to the mall instead. God works in mysterious ways. I used the opportunity to buy a few things we needed . Was about to call a taxi when my phone went flat. I saw a black guy sitting somewhere in the mall. I approached him and begged him to please call me a taxi that my phone was flat. He asked where I was going to. I told him. He brought out his phone and the next thing he said, " Come , let me drop you off to the place" I was scared. He sensed that and quickly introduced himself as a Malian and asked me where I came from. I said I'm Nigerian. He was perplexed! A Nigerian in Sherbrooke ? You guys go to Toronto and the Anglophone provinces not French!

Then I became relaxed and he took me there. We got talking and he got to know about my house search. He waited for me to get my Number and he then took me to his Caretaker after introducing me to his wife and 2 children. I became totally comfortable. He brought me back to the hotel , met my husband and children. An hour later, he came back and picked me up to see the apartment the Caretaker spoke about earlier.

I fell in love immediately! It has all that I asked for. Large space at the back and at the front, a garage, a storage facility outside, 2 large bedrooms, a modern cooker, big fridge, heater, hot water and a serene environment and I even have a small garden. 5 minutes walk to the Mall, 2 mins walk to an elementary school and a Daycare center. It also came cheaper at 525 dollar a month. The only thing is that we can't move in until the 3rd of January and I have to pay 35 dollars a month for electricity.

He agreed to be my guarantor and the wife is taking me to stores where I can buy stuffs for the apartment at a reasonable rate. He is coming this morning to take me to the Landlord and sign the contract. He is an Angel sent by God to help me at this very critical point in my life. God really works in mysterious ways.

141 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 12:00pm On Dec 30, 2017
Nogen:

Merci beaucoup. Je viens de trouver un bel appartement pour démènager le 3 janvier. Mais, le froid là? C'est une histoire d'autre jour. Ç'ira car je n'ai aucun choix. Lol

Salut Nogen,
Ou as tu appris le Francais?
Pourqoui as tu choisi Sherbrooke comme lieu de residence?
Je vis en Ontario et je viens de passer 5 jours de vacances avec ma famille a Montreal. Le Quebec ne me plait pas du tout.
Bonne chance
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 12:05pm On Dec 30, 2017
fabyom:
is a bus trip from Ohio to Windsor Canada possible without immigration check

You are going from one country to another country, right? What is the purpose of your trip? Are you intending to avoid immigration check?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Hafsat24(f): 12:31pm On Dec 30, 2017
Wow @Nogen.. he truly is God sent smiley..i'm happy for you..this is just the beginning of ease in your affairs God's willing..i wish all others great ease in our affairs as well

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 12:46pm On Dec 30, 2017
@Nogen welcome to Canada. Initially the kindness strangers would show to you would come as a shock, like scary at first but you get used to it and then pay it forward. $525!! Quebec is really cheap oh.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 12:47pm On Dec 30, 2017
Fusion23:

good good , I suppose DM you soon,
regards to the family, happy new year in advance.
Any better? Happy new year to you and yours.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nogen: 1:24pm On Dec 30, 2017
vcole:
@Nogen welcome to Canada. Initially the kindness strangers would show to you would come as a shock, like scary at first but you get used to it and then pay it forward. $525!! Quebec is really cheap oh.

My sister! Scary is an understatement. Life in Quebec seems cheaper . Sherbrooke is so calm like you live in Enugu/Jos kind of life but you have to speak French. You really can't do much here without French. I came back to see my husband and a hotel staff who came to tidy up our room struggling to communicate. As soon as the lady sighted me, she heaved a sign of relief! She was a like, "We have been struggling to communicate. Your husband doesn't speak French and me, I don't speak English. Two of us suddenly turned to deaf and dumb using only hands and legs". I laughed so hard.

27 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nogen: 1:25pm On Dec 30, 2017
Hafsat24:
Wow @Nogen.. he truly is God sent smiley..i'm happy for you..this is just the beginning of ease in your affairs God's willing..i wish all others great ease in our affairs as well

Canadians amaze me. The guy said he too was helped when he came. Today, God put him there to return the favor he got years back.

20 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nogen: 1:34pm On Dec 30, 2017
TheCongo2:

Salut Nogen,
Ou as tu appris le Francais?
Pourqoui as tu choisi Sherbrooke comme lieu de residence?
Je vis en Ontario et je viens de passer 5 jours de vacances avec ma famille a Montreal. Le Quebec ne me plait pas du tout.
Bonne chance

Montreal est trop bruyant pour moi ayant vécu à Lagos tout au long de ma vie. Je cherche maintenant une vie tranquille et paisible où je peux éléver mes petits sans beaucoup de décadence sociale. Sherbrooke me les donne .

J'ai appris le français au Nigéria, je suis titulaire de maîtrise en langue , culture et civilisation française . J'enseigne FLE aussi. Mais, cette fois-ci, je suis à Sherbrooke pour mon programme doctorat en éducation.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by oohunt: 1:54pm On Dec 30, 2017
Hey guys.

The day has finally come. Decided to make a soft landing on the 1st of Jan and then plan for the migration next year.
I have not been to the thread for a long time so I have a lot to read up. So forgive me if I am repeating this.

So weather.com says Calgary is currently -25. Hmm. I am bracing myself mentally. But men, it is not funny o. I am currently in Houston (it IS cold at 8 degrees) and will like to at least get some warm clothing for my girls (7 & 2). I know some people have suggested getting warm clothing in Canada but with this kind of extreme weather, we cannot enter Canada anyhow.

Your suggestions on what and how many layers to buy and where to buy them will be much appreciated!

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TEECANN: 4:21pm On Dec 30, 2017
Nogen:

Montreal est trop bruyant pour moi ayant vécu à Lagos tout au long de ma vie. Je cherche maintenant une vie tranquille et paisible où je peux éléver mes petits sans beaucoup de décadence sociale. Sherbrooke me les donne .

J'ai appris le français au Nigéria, je suis titulaire de maîtrise en langue , culture et civilisation française . J'enseigne FLE aussi. Mais, cette fois-ci, je suis à Sherbrooke pour mom programme doctorat en éducation.

Stop am o grin grin

Why all these francais harassment?

If I vex, I go enter French village before PPR land o! cool

Au revoir! cheesy cheesy

ça finira dans la louange IJN!

15 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Hafsat24(f): 4:22pm On Dec 30, 2017
Nogen:

Canadians amaze me. The guy said he too was helped when he came. Today, God put him there to return the favor he got years back.

Wow!!! They are truly amazing smiley
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by wonyi: 4:27pm On Dec 30, 2017
Nogen:

Merci beaucoup.

Bonjour Nogen,ŝil vous plaît je vous ai envoyé un mail .merci beaucoup .
Wonyi
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 4:52pm On Dec 30, 2017
vcole:
More than cheap sef. That money won't even get a one room basement in a small town, Saskatchewan. No wonder one of the older guys at work is retiring and immediately moving to the east. He said he would sell is house in Regina and buy something similar for half price in Nova Scotia.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 5:00pm On Dec 30, 2017
oohunt:
Hey guys.

The day has finally come. Decided to make a soft landing on the 1st of Jan and then plan for the migration next year.
I have not been to the thread for a long time so I have a lot to read up. So forgive me if I am repeating this.

So weather.com says Calgary is currently -25. Hmm. I am bracing myself mentally. But men, it is not funny o. I am currently in Houston (it IS cold at 8 degrees) and will like to at least get some warm clothing for my girls (7 & 2). I know some people have suggested getting warm clothing in Canada but with this kind of extreme weather, we cannot enter Canada anyhow.

Your suggestions on what and how many layers to buy and where to buy them will be much appreciated!
I think the forecast says calgary would be -9 on monday courtesy of the Chinook, but January and February are still the coldest months in winter.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nwandy218: 6:03pm On Dec 30, 2017
LOL. You just got a 2018 language goal. @Nogen,
Je voudrai rester a Quebec mais mon mari ne parle pas le francais. Donc, pour maintenent, nous avons choisi Ottawa. Let's see how that plays out hopefully. Je vous souhaite tout le meilleur dans vos études.
TEECANN:

Stop am o grin grin

Why all these francais harassment?

If I vex, I go enter French village before PPR land o! cool

Au revoir! cheesy cheesy

ça finira dans la louange IJN!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by drhopeful: 6:30pm On Dec 30, 2017
oohunt:
Hey guys.

Since you are in the US, try Burlington coat factory. You can even buy online. I bought coats for my family from there and online. In addition, buy thermal underwear from amazon. We came to Calgary a few days ago from the US and all our coats work excellently. Oh! And we have experienced up to -31C in the few days we have been here.

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mamacajah: 7:01pm On Dec 30, 2017
@Nogen, I bless GOD for your life, his mercies towards you never seize.. from miracle children, to miracle visa and now miracle house.. what an awesome GOD we serve. I can't help but praise him on your behalf...what a way to end 2017. Wow! He is a wonder! I am so happy for you.. grin cheesy cool

15 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 7:10pm On Dec 30, 2017
drhopeful:
Since you are in the US, try Burlington coat factory. You can even buy online. I bought coats for my family from there and online. In addition, buy thermal underwear from amazon. We came to Calgary a few days ago from the US and all our coats work excellently. Oh! And we have experienced up to -31C in the few days we have been here.

Just curious, it's hard to get a green card in the US? I've been seeing this thread lately. From the U.S to Canada.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nogen: 7:19pm On Dec 30, 2017
Nwandy218:
LOL. You just got a 2018 language goal. @Nogen,
Je voudrai rester a Quebec mais mon mari ne parle pas le francais. Donc, pour maintenent, nous avons choisi Ottawa. Let's see how that plays out hopefully. Je vous souhaite tout le meilleur dans vos études.

Thanks my sister. There's a small community in Sherbrooke where English is their major language of communication. Amazing! If my husband decides to join us permanently, he will just go get a job there. It's about 15 Minutes drive from the house. Have figured all that out. He will also try to learn French.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nogen: 7:20pm On Dec 30, 2017
mamacajah:
@Nogen, I bless GOD for your life, his mercies towards you never seize.. from miracle children, to miracle visa and now miracle house.. what an awesome GOD we serve. I can't help but praise him on your behalf...what a way to end 2017. Wow! He is a wonder! I am so happy for you.. grin cheesy cool

My sis, it's God at work. I'm so amazed by His love. He will visit us all at the very points of our needs. Amen

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nogen: 7:21pm On Dec 30, 2017
wonyi:

Bonjour Nogen,ŝil vous plaît je vous ai envoyé un mail .merci beaucoup .
Wonyi

OK. Will check now
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 7:27pm On Dec 30, 2017
Nogen:

J'ai appris le français au Nigéria, je suis titulaire de maîtrise en langue , culture et civilisation française . J'enseigne FLE aussi. Mais, cette fois-ci, je suis à Sherbrooke pour mon programme doctorat en éducation.

I am always marvelled whenever I meet a Nigerian or Jamaican who speaks French... wow
Do your kids live the snow? How are they coping with the cold?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 7:34pm On Dec 30, 2017
maternal:

Just curious, it's hard to get a green card in the US? I've been seeing this thread lately. From the U.S to Canada.

I think it is a two ways street.
People had also moved from Canada to the US because they weren't able to get papers in Canada.

I any case, the number of people who had moved to Canada from tje US seems to be far greater than that of those who had moved from Canada to the US

It easier to settle in Canada

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mamacajah: 7:48pm On Dec 30, 2017
Nogen:

Thanks my sister. There's a small community in Sherbrooke where English is their major language of communication. Amazing! If my husband decides to join us permanently, he will just go get a job there. It's about 15 Minutes drive from the house. Have figured all that out. He will also try to learn French.
Sis. abeg, lets talk more on the other medium on this.. I am very interested, you know nah... wink

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 8:19pm On Dec 30, 2017
Very Cold today. Been seeing several post from friends and by other people. Stay warm and safe fellow nairalanders.
Around Yorkton, Sk and Brandon, MB.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nogen: 8:30pm On Dec 30, 2017
mamacajah:

Sis. abeg, lets talk more on the other medium on this.. I am very interested, you know nah... wink
OK. Will send you a whatsapp message now

(1) (2) (3) ... (172) (173) (174) (175) (176) (177) (178) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.