Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,945 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:06 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (173) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1983316 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) (175) (176) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 10:21pm On Dec 27, 2017
laborel:
Congratulations on your safe landing.

As for documents at the point of entry, were you asked about your Pof or its just the cash you are bringing in?

Thanks.

They just asked if we had any money on us and how much, and if we had any more and in what currency.

Dem no even ask to check, weda we dey lie

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 10:21pm On Dec 27, 2017
Blackbuddy:

Many more experiences to come I trust. Welcome home, smiley

Thanks grandmaster B

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 10:24pm On Dec 27, 2017
Timhortons:

Hehehhe nice experience ma, well in case you want to use transit next time,check online e.g edmontontransit or Calgarytransit you will see the stops and like 4 or 5 digits on where to stop and if you get to the bustop you will see that same number written on it. In Marlborough NE calgary they have 2 bus 23 each on the opposite side of the road,I went to the final station in saddletown while heading to work trust me it wasn't funny

Welcome to canny

I checked ETS online to know movement times o, but next time I no go loss again, I gathered all the bus routes and map I found on the bus, I wan jack them, lol

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 10:33pm On Dec 27, 2017
MummyJaygirls:

When I look time, it was past the time I saw online that the bus would arrive, and the next was for 30mins later, jisox, so I go sidon wait outside? E mean say na ice mummyjaygirls dem go come carry o

When I reach house na so I face heater for my body while drinking hot milo and slept off on that spot. Lol

So that’s my first over sabi experience in Canada o.
grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 11:15pm On Dec 27, 2017
sleekchic:
Any question that has been on my mind to ask is if anyone has experienced any form of racism since you landed. Please share your experience.
You don't have to worry about racism. The ones who are vocal about it are losers. Once in a fast food restaurant, a group of high school boys shouted that I should go back to my country. Also some people threw hot coffee on my husband when he was jogging. 3 years in this country. That is all I've experienced.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 11:20pm On Dec 27, 2017
sleekchic:
Hello Everyone,

Please I have been wondering about living expenses /cost of living in Canada on a month to month basis. If you could share your experience on this so far I am sure many of us will appreciate.I have watched alot of YouTube videos on this but I feel getting figures from my fellow countrymen will be better. You can please state your province and family composition then state things such as:

Groceries, internet, ave monthly rent, utilities, childcare, phone bills, insurance etc. I know this varies from person to person but it will give us an idea of what to expect.

So we can adequately prepare.

Searched through the thread, didn't see much of these.

Thank you in advance.
Cost of living varies by city. It will be hard to give a general cost.
In Winnipeg, a one bedroom will go for $750-$1200. Groceries for a family of 4, between 400-600. Bills are usually inclusive. They have phone internet and cable deals for immigrants. We only pay for internet,$40 monthly. We use magic jack for phone, pay for Netflix monthly and have a kodi box.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by caon: 11:22pm On Dec 27, 2017
merrymum:
Nice! Welcome MummyJaygirls! Plenty snow to welcome you. Thank God for safe trip.
merrymum pls I sent u a PM.I need clarification from u pls.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yettyopy(f): 11:23pm On Dec 27, 2017
Canadianfly:

Lmao. Well to be honest, I would too. The detergent in Canada are mostly in liquid form in gallons and they don't foam like Naija Ariel grin

Also except you're using brands like Oxy, the stain remover ability of some of their detergents is very poor.

Haha. It's funny @mummyjaygirls brought the detergent issue up. I had the same concerns when I landed here. Went round Wal-Mart more than 6 times finding powder detergent ��to no avail. Hubby kept telling me there is only liquid. I didn't agree. Fast forward to now I barely remember ever using powdered detergent. I also use Oxy. I also brought a lot of powdered milk from naija for my kids. Once we exhausted it, I switched to the regular liquid 1 and my kids had no problem with it. Same with seasoning. It's funny how you think you can't survive without some things and after a while it feels like u never had those same thing.

32 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Tamm: 1:38am On Dec 28, 2017
In my opinion, I think CFA provides a better chance at core finance jobs as it is distinct from accounting. While a MSc Finance or MBA qualification may provide a better chance at key finance positions and faster growth, a person with a CFA qualification like an engineering or a statistics major grad can more easily get a job as an analyst in an investment bank than an accounting major. Also, CFA is more North America-focused (JP Morgan et al than say UBS as an example), so he has nothing to worry about if his destination is Canada.

Finally, since most analysts start pretty early (in their early 20s) with no family obligations and are thus able to work the long hours that the job demands, he might want to reconsider his career choice, particularly if he has no prior experience in the sector which will enable him start in a slightly better role than an analyst.

PS: Core finance is a totally different ball game than what obtains in most banks in Nigeria, hence, any experience in the Nigerian banking sector may not count for much. Hope this helps.

ayaade1:
Hello fam,

I noticed most people have been talking about ACCA and ICAN, but havent seen anything on CFA.

Does it mean that CFA is not recognized in Canada?

If yes, what needs to be done in order to increase hubby's chances of getting a job?

Please note that he's not done yet but would like to complete it before we eventually leave Nigeria.

Kindly assist fam.

Thank you.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 3:24am On Dec 28, 2017
MummyJaygirls:

Madam vcole, hailings, no mind me I play too much. Lol. Thanks for the info.These children no wan know say harmattan different from snow sha, dem just dey ginger to go outside, abeg make dem chill small first.
Uwc. Kids and snow are 2 peas in a pod. I have to take my toddler out into the snow to play almost everyday. We just dress warm and layer up. Yesterday was really cold here. Day started at -31°c.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by wonyi: 4:19am On Dec 28, 2017
Nogen:
Landed safely. Resting in our hotel room now. Details later Make I go sleep now.

Wow congratulations

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by caon: 4:37am On Dec 28, 2017
merrymum:
Nice! Welcome MummyJaygirls! Plenty snow to welcome you. Thank God for safe trip.
pls I just sent a mail to u.again.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 6:11am On Dec 28, 2017
Boldinc i greet you grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mamacajah: 9:55am On Dec 28, 2017
Nogen:
Landed safely. Resting in our hotel room now. Details later Make I go sleep now.
Yeah! great news..welcome to canada.. hope the children had fun and trust you guys are settling in well...

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Inception12: 10:09am On Dec 28, 2017
As some one with a statisitcs degree and doing CFA, am looking at Analyst jobs as i think thwy'll be easy to get in canada.

As someone with experience as an analyst and still with no family obligations i think i can handle long hours but which other careers wre you referring to in that bolded part.

Tamm:
In my opinion, I think CFA provides a better chance at core finance jobs as it is distinct from accounting. While a MSc Finance or MBA qualification may provide a better chance at key finance positions and faster growth, a person with a CFA qualification like an engineering or a statistics major grad can more easily get a job as an analyst in an investment bank than an accounting major. Also, CFA is more North America-focused (JP Morgan et al than say UBS as an example), so he has nothing to worry about if his destination is Canada.

Finally, since most analysts start pretty early (in their early 20s) with no family obligations and are thus able to work the long hours that the job demands, he might want to reconsider his career choice, particularly if he has no prior experience in the sector which will enable him start in a slightly better role than an analyst.

PS: Core finance is a totally different ball game than what obtains in most banks in Nigeria, hence, any experience in the Nigerian banking sector may not count for much. Hope this helps.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by boldinc(m): 10:33am On Dec 28, 2017
Hehehe... How u take catch me?

vcole:
Boldinc i greet you grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 11:02am On Dec 28, 2017
Sigh...it is well
honey86:

Yes I know someone who started from capstone but he was among the first people that they evaluated. Just 2 months after his evaluation, they changed it to core 1.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 11:17am On Dec 28, 2017
MummyJaygirls:

So that’s my first over sabi experience in Canada o.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Congrats on your landing ma'am!! Wish you and your family success
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by teeoba: 11:32am On Dec 28, 2017
MummyJaygirls:

They just asked if we had any money on us and how much, and if we had any more and in what currency.

Dem no even ask to check, weda we dey lie

MummyJaygirls,
Seems like i met you without knowing it was you!
Are you the same Mrs D we were gisting in the waiting area (with hubbies on the immigration queue) that lives (well, used to live) down the road from us in Abj?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 1:15pm On Dec 28, 2017
vcole:
Boldinc i greet you grin
Vcole, longest time grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by luciano80(m): 3:59pm On Dec 28, 2017
Hello to all past n recent Canny settlers!!! We dey una back.
A quick one......Is there any kind of "rule" to the size of accommodation one has to rent as to his number of dependents I mean, would it be frowned upon if a family of two kids decide to go for a one bedroom apartment?

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 4:42pm On Dec 28, 2017
luciano80:
A quick one......Is there any kind of "rule" to the size of accommodation one has to rent as to his number of dependents I mean, would it be frowned upon if a family of two kids decide to go for a one bedroom apartment?
You might luck into a place. Most landlord would frown at the idea of fittling a family of 4 into a one bed apartment.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by teeoba: 6:32pm On Dec 28, 2017
Hello Missisauga people,
Please is there a correct Naija restaurant or caterer on order in these parts?
Many thanks in advance for your help.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 6:49pm On Dec 28, 2017
teeoba:

MummyJaygirls,
Seems like i met you without knowing it was you!
Are you the same Mrs D we were gisting in the waiting area (with hubbies on the immigration queue) that lives (well, used to live) down the road from us in Abj?

No, I’m not Mrs D cry are u in Edmonton? We can still hook up anyhow
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 6:50pm On Dec 28, 2017
teeoba:
Hello Missisauga people,

Oh u r in Ontario
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Deda3103(f): 7:09pm On Dec 28, 2017
luciano80:

They would frown at it and I heard you can get reported for that also. Some people don’t even allow a couple and would specify one person only for a one -bedroom apartment.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sleekchic(f): 7:29pm On Dec 28, 2017
honey86:

You don't have to worry about racism. The ones who are vocal about it are losers. Once in a fast food restaurant, a group of high school boys shouted that I should go back to my country. Also some people threw hot coffee on my husband when he was jogging. 3 years in this country. That is all I've experienced.

Goodness.hot coffee? wow. That's dangerous

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Iyamefa: 7:36pm On Dec 28, 2017
You people should see what cold has caused. As the double digit negatives continue to harass us in Ontario, I had to do what I have never done before today.
I brought out salad from the fridge so I can quickly have some and head out. Salad had small small snowlike ice all up inside. Fridge o, not freezer. I left it out for almost an hour to get to room temperature but it was still cold! How will I eat cold food inside this cold? I had no choice than to microwave the salad grin

20 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by teeoba: 8:15pm On Dec 28, 2017
MummyJaygirls:

Oh u r in Ontario
I am o! And the cold no be here at all..
There should be a Nairaland Canny ‘ gestogeda’ at some point. It would be loads of fun!
Wishing you the very best in this Canny journey.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 9:07pm On Dec 28, 2017
teeoba:
Hello Missisauga people,

Hi, you can check here for some naija places, https://www.nairaland.com/3617393/living-canada-life-canadian-immigrant/132#61910441

For a private caterer, I know one I can recommend for you in Mississauga. Just send me a PM to get her contact details for privacy of the caterer.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 9:37pm On Dec 28, 2017
Iyamefa:
You people should see what cold has caused. As the double digit negatives continue to harass us in Ontario, I had to do what I have never done before today.
I brought out salad from the fridge so I can quickly have some and head out. Salad had small small snowlike ice all up inside. Fridge o, not freezer. I left it out for almost an hour to get to room temperature but it was still cold! How will I eat cold food inside this cold? I had no choice than to microwave the salad grin

Inside house still cold?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 9:57pm On Dec 28, 2017
I started my career in HR, but when I got to Canada I realised there is more opportunity in Accounting. So after I did my research I registered at a community college here in Winnipeg for a Diploma in Business Administration with a major in Accounting. By the grace of God i only have 4 months to complete it. Then i continue with my CPA Prep courses.

I'm writing this epistle because I have something I want to share for people who are interested in accounting. Seneca College Toronto have a one-year graduate certificate that covers all the CPA Prep requirements, whereas after my 2 years course I will still have to write 6 Prep courses. In essence, after one year you can move to PEP.
Here is the link to the course: http://www.senecacollege.ca/programs/fulltime/PRA.html

They also have a professional accountancy course that covers the first stage of the PEP; Core 1 and 2 and Elective 1 and 2, so you can start from capstone. http://www.senecacollege.ca/programs/fulltime/ACY.html.

I hope I have been able to help someone.

34 Likes 18 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) (175) (176) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.