Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,543 members, 7,823,381 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:22 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (206) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1990318 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (203) (204) (205) (206) (207) (208) (209) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 3:07am On Jan 26, 2018
Babachi:

So you are male. You got no chill for a male. You sound like an emotionally charged female just like one Canadianfly. I guess that's why u chose maternal as your monicker. Don't get me wrong, I love the ladies but a man's gotta be a man.
If a Nigerian man like you said decides to leave for Canada without consulting his wife, its wrong. If on the other hand he tries to convince her of the benefits of making the move then she ought to listen to him and try to make things work.

Convince her of the benefits ? Since when is Canada and Nigeria on the same level ? Certain things don't need explanation. Not emotional my friend, just rational. Again this isn't a nollywood movie. It's real life.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 3:09am On Jan 26, 2018
honey86:

That double standard again.

Exactly. What does he mean "a man gotta be a man" ? Aka her opinions doesbt really matter ?

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Kayla10: 3:11am On Jan 26, 2018
salford1:

It's obvious that we are not reading the same thing grin

It is called selective reading grin grin

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 3:13am On Jan 26, 2018
Kayla10:

It is called selective reading grin grin

grin

maternal:

Convince her of the benefits ? Since when is Canada and Nigeria on the same level ? Certain things don't need explanation. Not emotional my friend, just rational. Again this isn't a nollywood movie. It's real life.

grin grin It's been long I watch those nollywood movie sha...I must watch one tonight cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by gracelevel: 4:16am On Jan 26, 2018
vascey:
Una don start with all these yeye arguments abi.

Whether you like it or not- you are leaving Nigeria for Canny because things are not alright with you in Naija.

If they were, you would stay back. It doesn't matter how much you earn, be it 3m/month or 3k/month, any problem is a problem and Nigeria's problems transcends your monthly take home pay.

So please leave maternal alone.

Chaiiii cheesy.This thread ernnn SMH

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DatechMan(m): 4:25am On Jan 26, 2018
In other news,

Is anyone coming from Naija to Canny anytime soon. Max 30 days time.

Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 4:45am On Jan 26, 2018
Let's sheath our sword and move forward abeg. E don do before mr justwise starts dashing ban.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 4:55am On Jan 26, 2018
In other news. On my way to Edmonton yesterday, I witnessed a live fast and the furious on Queen Elizabeth II highway.
A mercedes passed me at full speed. The guy was doing at least 200k/hr. I later caught up with him. Some semi-drivers had carefully sandwiched and they locked him in. Those semi drivers are good.
After about 20min, he luckily escaped and continued his mad race to Edmonton. The Semi on the right almost fell over while trying to keep him in check. I would have loved to forward the video clip to the police, but I might get a ticket for distracted driving.

Pic 1: The semis locked him in for atleast 20min
Pic 2: When he finds a little gap and makes an escape.
Pic 3: Semi almost fall over while trying to avoid collision when the car squeezed itself into the tiny space.

14 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by gracelevel: 5:03am On Jan 26, 2018
salford1:
In other news. On my way to Edmonton yesterday, I witnessed a live fast and the furious on Queen Elizabeth II highway.
A mercedes was passed me at full speed. The guy was doing at least 200k/hr. I later caught up with him. Some semi-drivers had carefully sandwiched him and they locked him in. Those semi drivers are good.
After about 20min, he luckily escaped and continued his mad race to Edmonton. The Semi on the right almost fell over while trying to keep him in check. I would have loved to forward the video clip to the police, but I might get a ticket for distracted driving.

Pic 1: The semis locked him in for atleast 20min
Pic 2: When he finds a little gap and makes an escape.
Pic 3: Semi almost fall over while trying to avoid collision when the car squeezed itself into the tiny space.

saw what you did here....Thanks for dousing the tensed air ...

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Daisystar: 5:21am On Jan 26, 2018
DatechMan:

How I wish you are a guy. Keep looking.
But I usually see more female rentals on kijiji.ca. I have even seen a landlord offering free rental to females.
Check out the postings and try to text or call the posters.
It will end in praise.

Where in Mississauga are you?

Thanks for your response, DatechMan. I am around Square one and yes, I am continuing my search believing something will give soonest as I have a couple more days to find a place . I just did not anticipate that it will be this dicey to rent around here. Where about are you, yourself?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 5:26am On Jan 26, 2018
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by eddycross(m): 7:14am On Jan 26, 2018
Thanks. My madam already mentioned this and I think that is what we will do eventually. Leave some naira here and 'swap' it when we get the chance. The Fx transfer is also a back up option for sure.

Temidewale:
@ Eddycross, I know it is possible to leave naira in your Gtb account in Nigeria, then get to Canny and get naija forex agents there who can exchange dollar for you while you transfer to their naira account in Naija. That is what we intend to do as we will be landing Ontario next week. However, with this post, I am wondering if this transfer method saves more money than our own plan. Please advise.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 9:04am On Jan 26, 2018
Hahahaha see bullets flying up and down. Lmao cheesy cheesy

Kayla10 don't you reside in Australia? Why are you always here feeling like voltron defender of the universe? Please if you haven't read through, Honey86 has more than contributed on her knowledge of Manitoba on here. You shout people are rude, then come blazing like folks should bow down to you? No one attacked anyone's person or called anyone outside their name, till you landed. Please we don't need Aussies here with their very annoying accents grin Leave us to argue away about Canada.

In other news, Rainazoe, if your heart is resting with relocation, talk to the husband and y'all can try a soft landing. Whatever y'all decide, I hope y'all make the right decision for your family. kiss

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 9:07am On Jan 26, 2018
DatechMan:

How I wish you are a guy. Keep looking.
But I usually see more female rentals on kijiji.ca. I have even seen a landlord offering free rental to females.
Check out the postings and try to text or call the posters.
It will end in praise.

Where in Mississauga are you?

Those people offering free rental to females have ulterior motives. I won't advise a new immigrant who is tryna find their bearing to take up any of these offers.

Anyway, this one you're asking where in Mississauga, you don dey look for better half? grin

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 9:11am On Jan 26, 2018
Babachi:

So you are male. You got no chill for a male. You sound like an emotionally charged female just like one Canadianfly. I guess that's why u chose maternal as your monicker. Don't get me wrong, I love the ladies but a man's gotta be a man.
If a Nigerian man like you said decides to leave for Canada without consulting his wife, its wrong. If on the other hand he tries to convince her of the benefits of making the move then she ought to listen to him and try to make things work.

Tell your drug dealer to stop selling you that cheap stuff you're smoking. kiss

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sorefunmi(f): 9:21am On Jan 26, 2018
in my opinion..relocating its always best to be decided by both parties...in my case ,my hubby said and quote,he will be coming visiting till later when we are more settled because he believes the zeal come from me ...
when we started having kids,i wanted us to birth in US...my hubby didn dig much about it,but from persuading him and romancing him ,lol..he later bought the idea and his is thankful till date...
Dear,the lord will grant you wisdom..don't push too hard..Oga ll see reasons with you thereafter,make a short landing as peeps stated above,

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bbaby84(f): 9:22am On Jan 26, 2018
Canadianfly:
Hahahaha see bullets flying up and down. Lmao cheesy cheesy

Kayla10 don't you reside in Australia? Why are you always here feeling like voltron defender of the universe? Please if you haven't read through, Honey86 has more than contributed on her knowledge of Manitoba on here. You shout people are rude, then come blazing like folks should bow down to you? No one attacked anyone's person or called anyone outside their name, till you landed. Please we don't need Aussies here with their very annoying accents grin Leave us to argue away about Canada.

In other news, Rainzoe, if your heart is resting with relocation, talk to the husband and y'all can try a soft landing. Whatever y'all decide, I hope y'all make the right decision for your family.
kiss

At the bolded.. I hope you decide what's best for your family as a whole. I know someone who stayed in Canada with the kids while her hubby went back and forth very frequently after 4 years or so she came back home and put the kids in boarding house in Canada.
He was able to take care of his family in Canada and maintain the home in Lagos and still does.
I usually wouldn't advise this for young couples for many reasons.
I gather you're the one who wants it for whatever reason and he doesn't understand or get your reasons.

I didn't want to relocate too and hubby and I were on the same page but when we went to Canada we loved it and didn't mind. Once again we talked about it and agreed, I'm not separating my family too. I believe when you go he may change his mind.

I wish you all the best.
@rainzoe

17 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 9:29am On Jan 26, 2018
salford1:

It's obvious that we are not reading the same thing grin

I think it boils down to the fact that some of us do not understand the complexity of Nigerian marriages cool

He said THE HOME not MARRIAGE grin

on the real though, I really don't think he came out to curse her marriage or be rude to her. The guy's personality na clear-cut and folks just have issues accepting it. And that's wrong. No one dictates to anyone how to post or speak. I coulda sworn Maternal is an Engineer, coz na logical thinkers them be. Maternal and Delta007 are from the same village. No chill zones grin

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by primeson1(m): 11:13am On Jan 26, 2018
Oh, thank you.

A555:

I used the internet banking option. I'm not sure fx transfer function is available on the GTWorld app. I looked a while (without trying to hard), and just went to the internet banking portal because I had a clearer idea where to find the transfer option.

It is possible to move from a GT dom account to any other currency account in the world. I have done it with AUD in the past. So expect it will be the same with CAD. However, the transfer will be done on the basis of the exchange rate at the time the transaction is put through. There is probably no real advantage to watching the forex prices trying to save an extra few cents, but if you want to manage your USD to CAD conversions by yourself, for the extra few dollars from forex fluctuations, then best to go into a USD account.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by saucepan: 11:17am On Jan 26, 2018
Hello house, I have been a silent follower of this thread because my relocation plans are still in process. I will be coming in as a PhD student in September.
I hope to come with my children leaving the Don himself behind. He plans to come visiting as often as he can.
Why am I giving this unsolicited narrative, I for one currently cannot see myself leaving in Canada all my days. Nigeria has to be rebuilt, if we all permanently relocate, how do we wish to make Nigeria a better place? However there are those who their permanent relocation also contributes to making Nigeria better. How you may ask, when you help that family member start a business back home you might just be creating jobs for a few people. When you make investment back home you contribute to the economy.
My husband is on his early 40s has put in so much from ground zero to build a structure for himself. Viola, things are finally shaping up, would such a person be estatic to leave his firm, investments and start from ground zero in Canada, of course not. Does it make him less of a man or family leader , no. I have chosen to respect his position, talked him into letting the children go with me and gotten him to the point he has agreed to spend at least 5months each year with us.
@ maternal your points might be valid but there are many ways to say the same thing. Always consider the next person's feeling, I have learnt this over time because like you I was naturally wired to be blunt. Am I 100% there no way but I have chosen to hurt people less after all I stand to gain nothing by doing so.
Back to my narrative I might disappoint some people here , I am one of those who after my sojourn (don't know how long) will eventually return to Nigeria, I see our possibilities as a nation and I want to contribute my quota to building a Nigeria we will all be proud of.
On a lighter note, in future when I will run for political office all of you will be on my campaign team perhaps then I can cajole some into coming back home.
Abeg try not to fight on the internet, it is really not worth it, for one the person doesn't know you, what your ideals , dreams or where you are even coming from or heading to. We are all faceless, I just be like to follow ghost dey fight. I might even be your cousin.

@ madam whose husband has yet caught the vision of relocation, try to relax, no vex( this brothers can be obstinate as mules�) gather your superior argument and gently , consistently present same in a ver rational manner. Men always follow a superior reasoning even though they will pretend not to listen.

Oya, I hope with this few points of mine i have managed to convince you to forget vex and move forward .

Ndewo and may we all have a beautiful day.

NB just in case i upset anyone pls don't insult me oh! I will not answer, i have malaria and i am here dreading how to start those awful malaria drugs.�

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by saucepan: 11:22am On Jan 26, 2018
Abeg overlook my typos and all the comma I no put.
I am in the office and pretending to be finding the cure for Nigeria.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 11:30am On Jan 26, 2018
saucepan:

NB just in case i upset anyone pls don't insult me oh! I will not answer, i have malaria and i am here dreading how to start those awful malaria drugs.�

You have malaria and you typed this textbook for us to read? tongue grin

Why do people make a post then put disclaimer that people should not come for them? Lol. If una dey fear, why post in the first place. I was reading your textbook wondering where is this taking us to? And it ended without any bang! grin
No mind me sha, hope you get well soon. If you really do have malaria. wink

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by saucepan: 11:32am On Jan 26, 2018
Abeg overlook my typos and all the comma I no put.
I am in the office and pretending ( with a very public servants straight jacket look) to be finding the cure for Nigeria. cool

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by saucepan: 11:39am On Jan 26, 2018
@ Canadianfly, you sound just like my brother, abeg are you a man or woman. That guy can fight for Africa but has a very good heart. I love him die though we are currently quarrelling, he nearly insulted my guts off me.

So I believe you are my brother or we will be very great friends from here on.

Thanks dear, you know malaria can make someone mis yarn. Pray forgive me, I will soon make a very very very intelligent post. cool

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by keni: 12:02pm On Jan 26, 2018
saucepan:
Hello house, I have been a silent follower of this thread because my relocation plans are still in process. I will be coming in as a PhD student in September.
I hope to come with my children leaving the Don himself behind. He plans to come visiting as often as he can.
Why am I giving this unsolicited narrative, I for one currently cannot see myself leaving in Canada all my days. Nigeria has to be rebuilt, if we all permanently relocate, how do we wish to make Nigeria a better place? However there are those who their permanent relocation also contributes to making Nigeria better. How you may ask, when you help that family member start a business back home you might just be creating jobs for a few people. When you make investment back home you contribute to the economy.�

In the spirit of fighting that we are in, I wanted to respond angrily to this until I read till the end and I saw you might want to take a political office in the future, so I decided to chill.

Point one - I have come to realize that the process of relocating is gradually becoming a reflex reaction that people start without waiting for confirmation from the brain (I knew I was right when I saw 2 different ppl parking their cha cha Toyota landcruiser during the IELTS general test).

Point two - The bolded above, Nigeria only needs about 20 million of you to make it work, the rest of us will go no matter what.

Point three - Some people are okay staying in Nigeria BUT I see them crossing to our side very soon when that fuel price goes to #250/liter (the process has started).

Point four - I am still in Nija surviving day to day and already looking forward to the day I will comeback (for few days holiday o) with my grand kids showing them how things are now better.

As to my first statement I wasnt angry grin grin grin grin grin

16 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by saucepan: 12:09pm On Jan 26, 2018
keni:

In the spirit of fighting that we are in, I wanted to respond angrily to this until I read till the end and I saw you might want to take a political office in the future, so I decided to chill.

Point one - I have come to realize that the process of relocating is gradually becoming a reflex reaction that people start withoutb waiting for confirmation from the brain (I knew I was right when I saw 2 different ppl parking their cha cha Toyota landcruiser during the IELTS general test).

Point two - The bolded above, Nigeria only needs about 20 million of you to make it work, the rest of us will go no matter what.

Point three - Some people are okay staying in Nigeria BUT I see them crossing to our side very soon when that fuel price goes to #250/liter (the process has started).

Point four - I am still in Nija surviving day to day and already looking forward to the day I will comeback (for few days holiday o) with my grand kids showing them how things are now better.

As to my first statement I wasnt angry grin grin grin grin grin

I actually laughed. Abeg don't be angry joor. Life is not that complicated. If not for Nigeria wahala no body would really want to leave. It is well oh!!!!!.
Have a very great and happy day.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by saucepan: 12:11pm On Jan 26, 2018
My colleagues are here asking me why I am using my phone and laughing. Me oh, I didn't answer, no be me tell them not to be on this thread of great people.

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 12:12pm On Jan 26, 2018
saucepan:
@ Canadianfly, you sound just like my brother, abeg are you a man or woman. That guy can fight for Africa but has a very good heart. I love him die though we are currently quarrelling, he nearly insulted my guts off me.

So I believe you are my brother or we will be very great friends from here on.

Thanks dear, you know malaria can make someone mis yarn. Pray forgive me, I will soon make a very very very intelligent post. cool
Hahahahahaa in fact I don't know whether to take this as an insult or compliment or both. cheesy

No wahala. Just remember my moniker when you become President or Minister.

(1) (2) (3) ... (203) (204) (205) (206) (207) (208) (209) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.