Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,124 members, 7,814,941 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:39 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (207) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1983307 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (204) (205) (206) (207) (208) (209) (210) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by keni: 12:22pm On Jan 26, 2018
saucepan:

I actually laughed. Abeg don't be angry joor. Life is not that complicated. If not for Nigeria wahala no body would really want to leave. It is well oh!!!!!.
Have a very great and happy day.

My Uncle finished studying pharmacy in the US in the late 60s/ early 70s he didnt have enough money to come back when immigration caught him for overstaying, he said he just threw his hands up and told them to send him back home, baba was so confident of where he is coming back to, if that happens today, immigration will never smell where he's at. E go better

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 1:42pm On Jan 26, 2018
Justwise o!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Kayla10: 1:52pm On Jan 26, 2018
Canadianfly:
Hahahaha see bullets flying up and down. Lmao cheesy cheesy

Kayla10 don't you reside in Australia? Why are you always here feeling like voltron defender of the universe? Please if you haven't read through, Honey86 has more than contributed on her knowledge of Manitoba on here. You shout people are rude, then come blazing like folks should bow down to you? No one attacked anyone's person or called anyone outside their name, till you landed. Please we don't need Aussies here with their very annoying accents grin Leave us to argue away about Canada.

In other news, Rainazoe, if your heart is resting with relocation, talk to the husband and y'all can try a soft landing. Whatever y'all decide, I hope y'all make the right decision for your family. kiss

Mama look at how I made it! Folks be checking me out...hahahaha! So you don do research conclude sey I dey Australia? Hahahaha! I am famous y'all! grin On the real though, I could be in any part of the world for all we know; who says I am not in Canada? Again, it's a faceless forum. Location however, is quite inconsequential here as it does little to tell you why a person may or may not be interested in a topic/s or thread/s.

Yes, I have a massive issue with people being mean-spirited and disrespectful and I will say something whenever I feel it's the case; if that makes me Voltron, so be it. That is a title I will wear with pride. I have always wanted to be an Avenger (the Marvel ones oh abeg) sef so I am in mighty fine company. I would much rather be tagged a defender than one who is complicit in the perpetuation of spiteful deeds.

Furthermore, I ain't really call nobody out their name. You say rude, I say unequivocally forthright; saying it like it is, just the way you like. You know, we all being blunt and everything; I was just matching the prevalent level of bluntness...you know, zero chills just how you like it grin. I woulda thought that'd be your cuppa. This is an open forum, no one here has exclusive rights to write in an indelicate manner; we all can partake.

I really do not need anyone to bow to me because that s**t is played out and pays no bills. However, if somebody come at me sideways, they will get it, simples! If that comes across as me wanting to be worshipped, oh well, people will just have to deal.

@ bolded, you see how you typed that bit with sweetness and saccharine vibes, pray tell, was that so hard? Couldn't your blunt buddy do that? If he responded to people in that manner, will the designer Ogbono soup in his fridge go bad? People have to learn to conduct themselves with some decorum in civil society and all public spaces. If they, however, decide they are much too cool to be civil towards others, they have to be accepting of the fact that not everyone will tolerate their excesses.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jan 26, 2018
Kayla10:

Hahahahahahaha! I am truly having a cackle!

Hanty, I thought you were busy, you are still here writing rubbish, you are not busy again? Even agbero better pass you because your own be say you no get sense. Olodo rabata! Ewu Toronto better pass you! I can see you used your dictionary to learn the word of the day so you came to display it for us, you are now here fronting like you just didn't google the spelling and meaning of behavioural therapy. Itiboribo ekwe nka! Don't worry eh keep trying, one day they will let you join the big kids at the adult table! But please in the interim, try and sleep oh, let's see if you can get small sense. Afo anu!

Unfortunately there is no remedy for your illness. Pele o.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 2:02pm On Jan 26, 2018
Career Gateway Program (AMENDED closing date extended)
AO1 Administrative Officer and Various Classifications
Term/full-time; Term/part-time
Three to Twelve Month Term Placements
Manitoba Civil Service Commission
Various Departments/Various Locations
The Pas MB, Thompson MB, Beausejour MB, Dauphin MB, Portage la Prairie MB, Selkirk MB, Steinbach MB, Swan River MB, Brandon MB
Advertisement Number: 28652
Salary(s): AO1 $45,108.00 - $54,073.00 per year Plus applicable remoteness allowance in areas north of the 53rd parallel. Salary could vary depending on position.
Closing Date: March 31, 2018
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary civil service that is inclusive and reflective of the population it serves. We encourage applicants to voluntarily self-declare in the cover letter, resumé or application if they are from any of the following employment equity groups: women, Indigenous people, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities.
This competition is designated for Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities. Only applicants who self-declare at the time of application will be eligible for further consideration.

Candidates are requested to indicate on their covering letter for which location(s) they are applying.

Introduction
The inventory of applications received may also be utilized to fill other Diversity Internship and Recruitment Programs opportunities as well as future vacancies in Winnipeg.

This competition is designated for Indegenous people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities. Applicants will be entered into an inventory of candidates to be referred in departments with offices in rural and northern communities as employment opportunities become available. As a condition of employment, candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada. Specific qualifications will vary, depending on position requirements. Open link to find out more information about various positions and government departments.

The Manitoba government is recruiting applicants for the Career Gateway Program inventory. The Career Gateway Program is intended to attract Indigenous people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities who are interested in a career with the Manitoba government. We are one of Canada's Top 100 Diversity employers. We have a substantial benefits package which includes extended health, health spending, dental, vision, long term disability, supportive employment, maternity and parental leave, and a defined pension plan (some pension plans allow for portability between the Civil Service Superannuation Board and employers).

Applicants with backgrounds in any of the following job categories: finance, human resources, law, corrections, information technology, health, social services, engineering, policy, administration, management, transportation, education, trades, science and other fields are encouraged to apply. If candidates would like to be considered for specific categories, they are encouraged to indicate the applicable categories on their covering letter or resume.

Conditions of Employment:
Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
Qualifications:
Education, training and/or experience relevant to field of expertise
Good communication skills
Strong interpersonal skills
Values diversity
Experience using Word, Excel and Outlook is desired
Ability to speak an Aboriginal language (Cree, Ojibway, etc.) and/or French is desired
Conditions of employment vary from position to position, but may include one or more of the following:
Ability to travel
Ability to work overtime
Manitoba Driver’s Licence
Criminal Records Check
Child Abuse Registry Check
Adult Abuse Registry Check
Security Check

Duties:
Successful candidates will be hired on a term basis and introduced to the systems and processes of the Manitoba government. Depending on the position, candidates will gain directly relevant experience which will assist them in applying for future positions within the Manitoba government.
Apply Now:
Advertisement # 28652
Civil Service Commission
Human Resource Services
608-330 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB, R3C 0C4
Phone: 204-945-4394
Fax: 204-948-2193
Email: govjobs@gov.mb.ca
When applying to this advertisement, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line of your
e-mail.

We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Kayla10: 2:06pm On Jan 26, 2018
Anyway, I feel like I done sparred enough for one day....hahahaha! I believe I have sufficiently made my points and I'm out. However, if somebody invites me back via mentions, Imma be back because it is rude not honour invitations.

Carry on beautiful people!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 2:14pm On Jan 26, 2018
Canadianfly:

Hahahahaahaha!!!!! My kinda girl. We would get along in real life hahaha cheesy

Kayla10:

Chop knuckle o jare smiley

Don't forget that you guys will get along in real life.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by esosa4real(m): 2:26pm On Jan 26, 2018
I can't believe this is the thread i used to come to? Am I in the wrong place?

Please @justwise ban the people involved in this katakata. You guys are arguing like kids on top settlement matter or what? Shame!

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 2:43pm On Jan 26, 2018
esosa4real:

Please @justwise ban the people involved in this katakata. You guys are arguing like kids on top settlement matter or what? Shame!
I dont know if you have been on this thread long enough. lol.
This is not the first and won't be the last argument we would see on this thread. This is bound to happen when people have various and conflicting opinions. Even in arguments, some lessons can be learnt.
As long as the rules are not being broken, justwise won't be able to ban. Seems alot of us have mastered the art of not getting banned on NL.

15 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Cherokee(m): 4:15pm On Jan 26, 2018
salford1:

I dont know if you have been on this thread long enough. lol.
This is not the first and won't be the last argument we would see on this thread. This is bound to happen when people have various and conflicting opinions. Even in arguments, some lessons can be learnt.
As long as the rules are not being broken, justwise won't be able to ban. Seems alot of us have mastered the art of not getting banned on NL.
Oga Salford1, I have tried to get your attention severally but to no avail. I pray you tell what in your opinion do you think the future holds for one that has a degree in Renewable Energy Engineering in Canada & what provinces to look out for.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 4:57pm On Jan 26, 2018
Cherokee:

Oga Salford1, I have tried to get your attention severally but to no avail. I pray you tell what in your opinion do you think the future holds for one that has a degree in Renewable Energy Engineering in Canada & what provinces to look out for.
Renewable energy is very good. If you have been following the news in Canada, the liberal government is aggresively trying to get provinces to impose carbon taxes and shut down coal plants. Even the conservative provinces are complying. So the future is golden if you are in a renewable energy career.
Provinces does not really matter as they are being forced by ottawa to comply, but Ontario, Quebec and BC seem to be leading the way.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Babachi: 5:40pm On Jan 26, 2018
Canadianfly:

Tell your drug dealer to stop selling you that cheap stuff you're smoking. kiss
Lol! that line is old. Pot is getting legalized soon in Canada. So don't be perching around decent folks having a smoke telling them crap else you may find ur ass in jail.

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 5:47pm On Jan 26, 2018
XX01:

Mba oh....I pass grin that was when I thought small sense dey. Now I see the tout behavior, Imma pass. Class don't mix with rachet.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Cherokee(m): 6:12pm On Jan 26, 2018
[quote author=salford1 post=64534456]
Renewable energy is very good. If you have been following the news in Canada, the liberal government is aggresively trying to get provinces to impose carbon taxes and shut down coal plants. Even the conservative provinces are complying. So the future is golden if you are in a renewable energy career.
Provinces does not really matter as they are being forced by ottawa to comply, but Ontario, Quebec and BC seem to be leading the way.[/Quote]
Thank you

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by A555: 6:14pm On Jan 26, 2018
Temidewale:
@ Eddycross, I know it is possible to leave naira in your Gtb account in Nigeria, then get to Canny and get naija forex agents there who can exchange dollar for you while you transfer to their naira account in Naija. That is what we intend to do as we will be landing Ontario next week. However, with this post, I am wondering if this transfer method saves more money than our own plan. Please advise.

@ Temidewale: Please advise their exchange rate when you do find out. It would be worth comparing against the bank transfer, as there would be less or no bank fees for the transfer?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by A555: 7:05pm On Jan 26, 2018
A picture from NW Calgary... it's been beautiful weather over the past week....

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 7:22pm On Jan 26, 2018
Maybe the Vin Diesel was in labour or had diarrhoea grin

salford1:
In other news. On my way to Edmonton yesterday, I witnessed a live fast and the furious on Queen Elizabeth II highway.
A mercedes passed me at full speed. The guy was doing at least 200k/hr. I later caught up with him. Some semi-drivers had carefully sandwiched and they locked him in. Those semi drivers are good.
After about 20min, he luckily escaped and continued his mad race to Edmonton. The Semi on the right almost fell over while trying to keep him in check. I would have loved to forward the video clip to the police, but I might get a ticket for distracted driving.

Pic 1: The semis locked him in for atleast 20min
Pic 2: When he finds a little gap and makes an escape.
Pic 3: Semi almost fall over while trying to avoid collision when the car squeezed itself into the tiny space.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 7:53pm On Jan 26, 2018
rainazoe:
Maybe the Vin Diesel was in labour or had diarrhoea grin

grin grin grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 8:24pm On Jan 26, 2018
salford1:

This is on a whole different level.
esosa4real:
You know this. How have you been? We need to catch up via inbox when you get a chance.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 9:16pm On Jan 26, 2018

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 10:03pm On Jan 26, 2018
saucepan:
Hello house, I have been a silent follower of this thread because my relocation plans are still in process. I will be coming in as a PhD student in September.

Please what is the process for gaining admission into doctorate degree programme In Canada? Two of my friends were advised to go for a second masters because they will not admit them for doctorate degree in Canada and they said i should make enquiries for them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Kayla10: 10:11pm On Jan 26, 2018
XX01:

Tufiakwa! Biko Chukwu juru aju! Yea, me and that entity will get along when pigs effing fly! Ha! That would be NEVER EVER in multiple lifetimes and then some! The mere thought of it alone gives me the creeps embarassed. I don't mess with folks like her who condone nasty behaviour especially in real life because I am liable to check the s**t out of her and her cronies. I don't play that! So I need to go back and delete that nonsense I wrote there before some upstanding people think I roll with her kind. So abeg XX01, don't even project that sort of loathsome notion into the universe; it is truly an odious thing to contemplate.

Somebody talking about ratchet; what's wrong with being ratchet? At least I am not out here supporting vile behaviour. A confirmed unrefined villager is here claiming classy! Hahahahaha! Classy has really suffered. Classy, but your life ethos is to actively encourage the erosion of good graces and manners; yet you are here besmirching classy's good name. I really doubt you know what classy means honey! Can't say I am surprised anyway, you don't appear to be very bright.

18 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 10:20pm On Jan 26, 2018
Hi guys,

If someone is landing in Calgary via Toronto but layover in Toronto is only an hour, would the person be put on the next flight to Calgary at no cost if the person misses that flight due to immigration/customs/ SIN etc Airline is Air Canada
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by boldinc(m): 10:36pm On Jan 26, 2018
Living in Canada/Life as a Canadian Immigrant... #Focus

15 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by A555: 10:46pm On Jan 26, 2018
Wura27:
Hi guys,

If someone is landing in Calgary via Toronto but layover in Toronto is only an hour, would the person be put on the next flight to Calgary at no cost if the person misses that flight due to immigration/customs/ SIN etc Airline is Air Canada

I think it is very unlikely that you will make the connection with a 1hr layover. We arrived last week, and went with a 3h15 layover, and it was just about right plus we didn't try to get the SIN there. We waited less than an hour to board, after all the other formalities.

Feedback was SIN would take approximately 20mins each (it took a bit less time when we eventually got it in Calgary), and depending on the queue when you arrive, we didn't want to put ourselves under unnecessary pressure. We sorted it next day in Calgary, and it was very straightforward. The advantage of sorting it earlier in Toronto wouldn't have been huge for us. Personally, after travelling so many hours, I just wanted to get a proper lie down and some sleep, so I wouldn't have wanted to take a much later connection.

However, while we were going through customs, the officer did mention that if we missed our connection because of him, there was a flight almost every hour to Calgary and the airline would put us on the next one.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 11:09pm On Jan 26, 2018
That means I'm good to go. Thanks very much.

A555:

I think it is very unlikely that you will make the connection with a 1hr layover. We arrived last week, and went with a 3h15 layover, and it was just about right plus we didn't try to get the SIN there. We waited less than an hour to board, after all the other formalities.

Feedback was SIN would take approximately 20mins each, and depending on the queue when you arrive, we didn't want to put ourselves under unnecessary pressure. We sorted it next day in Calgary, and it was very straightforward. The advantage of sorting it earlier in Toronto wouldn't have been huge for us. Personally, after travelling so many hours, I just wanted to get a proper lie down and some sleep, so I wouldn't have wanted to take a much later connection.

However, while we were going through customs, the officer did mention that if we missed our connection because of him, there was a flight almost every hour to Calgary and the airline would put us on the next one.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bbaby84(f): 11:09pm On Jan 26, 2018
Na wa o.....
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Kayla10: 12:12am On Jan 27, 2018
czaratwork:

Please what is the process for gaining admission into doctorate degree programme In Canada? Two of my friends were advised to go for a second masters because they will not admit them for doctorate degree in Canada and they said i should make enquiries for them.

Who said they would not admit them? The universities? If that's the case, they must have provided reasons for their stance. An admission refusal at the doctoral level could be for a variety of reasons. A major one being if one does not possess a thesis or research based Masters degree. Some schools would then recommend a second Masters by research degree as a prerequisite to admission into the doctorate program. However, before deciding on a course of action, it may behoove them to shop around and see if they can still find takers as different universities have different requirements and varying degrees of leniency.

For doctoral programs, admission processes at various universities will differ however, they usually follow the same rough guidelines below:
1.) Identify a school; read extensively about the school to ensure it is a good fit for you.
2.) Study their admission requirements to ensure your qualifications are a total or close match.
3.) Develop a research proposal or question and approach the supervisors (lecturers who have delegated supervisory roles) whose research interests are in alignment with your research proposal. Secure a supervisor who is willing to walk the often arduous road that is academia at the doctoral level.
4.) Apply for admission on the basis that you meet the stated requirements and have obtained a research supervisor at the university. Also, having published papers or works in respected journals will immensely help your case along.
5.) Wait for the admission decision.

Hope this helps.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DatechMan(m): 1:57am On Jan 27, 2018
Daisystar:

Thanks for your response, DatechMan. I am around Square one and yes, I am continuing my search believing something will give soonest as I have a couple more days to find a place . I just did not anticipate that it will be this dicey to rent around here. Where about are you, yourself?
Ok.
I am holed up somewhere in Derry + Airport Road

(1) (2) (3) ... (204) (205) (206) (207) (208) (209) (210) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: etiosa97(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.