Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,786 members, 7,810,051 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:27 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (223) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1980480 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (220) (221) (222) (223) (224) (225) (226) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by babypipsy: 2:46am On Feb 08, 2018
[quote author=Fusion23 post=64877350][/quote]

Thanks a million, I did receive your email. I have also sent a message to the recruiter on LinkedIn. I will follow up with a call tomorrow morning.
God bless you plenty plenty.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 5:33am On Feb 08, 2018
Fusion23:

looks like edmonton

Yes boss
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 6:55am On Feb 08, 2018
@fusion23 I must have missed your "relocation" to Edmonton. Congrats on the new gig.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ehrnie: 8:40am On Feb 08, 2018
Delta007:

Corporate tax or Personal tax?

Personal tax.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Abbylee: 10:25am On Feb 08, 2018
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by redocean: 5:22pm On Feb 08, 2018
Hello Dear People,

So I got my GCMS notes yesterday after being on NA2 for roughly 3 months. Luckily, the recommendations on the notes seemed okay without any cause for worries, hence I want to activate my landing plans gradually and need some guidance;

1. I plan to do a soft landing for about 3 weeks then return to Nigeria and resign properly. However, I do intend to have someone in Canada receive my family's PR cards ( wife, daughter and I) and courier same to us in Nigeria. Is this act in violation of any law or policy?

2. We plan to travel to U.S for a week or so during the landing phase, can one easily go out and return into Canada with just a copy of the COPR? we already have valid US visas.

3. Can someone recommend a very affordable Canada - US airline to keep on the radar? from desk research done so far, cheapest is about $200 per passenger.

4. Apart from Airbnb and hotels are there other affordable options for temporary accommodation while in Canada? Toronto to be precise.

5. How many International Airports are in Toronto and which is has the best customer experience ?

Sorry, a lot of questions but one can never overstate the value of getting first hand information.

Much appreciation in advance.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 12:21am On Feb 09, 2018
redocean:
Hello Dear People,

So I got my GCMS notes yesterday after being on NA2 for roughly 3 months. Luckily, the recommendations on the notes seemed okay without any cause for worries, hence I want to activate my landing plans gradually and need some guidance;

1. I plan to do a soft landing for about 3 weeks then return to Nigeria and resign properly. However, I do intend to have someone in Canada receive my family's PR cards ( wife, daughter and I) and courier same to us in Nigeria. Is this act in violation of any law or policy?

2. We plan to travel to U.S for a week or so during the landing phase, can one easily go out and return into Canada with just a copy of the COPR? we already have valid US visas.

3. Can someone recommend a very affordable Canada - US airline to keep on the radar? from desk research done so far, cheapest is about $200 per passenger.

4. Apart from Airbnb and hotels are there other affordable options for temporary accommodation while in Canada? Toronto to be precise.

5. How many International Airports are in Toronto and which is has the best customer experience ?

Sorry, a lot of questions but one can never overstate the value of getting first hand information.

Much appreciation in advance.

2) The visa you are given is single entry and it's cancelled once you land in Canada. So I'm not sure how you'll enter without the PR card unless you apply for another visa.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 5:08am On Feb 09, 2018
AZeD1:

2) The visa you are given is single entry and it's cancelled once you land in Canada. So I'm not sure how you'll enter without the PR card unless you apply for another visa.

The PR card can take from 8-15 weeks , but once you have land in Canada you are already a permanent residence and its in the database..she can get an emergency travel documents she might pay for it...don't know the process

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Delta007(m): 6:09am On Feb 09, 2018
Ehrnie:

Personal tax.
Send me a PM; I might be able to help.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kemmytino(f): 7:04am On Feb 09, 2018
So we landed yesterday. Nigeria we hail thee (right from the entrance dey were demanding for Rogers) God help us. Flew Ethiopian airline, Now in Mississauga.

22 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 7:09am On Feb 09, 2018
Ekaabo. How is the weather now?

kemmytino:
So we landed yesterday. Nigeria we hail thee (right from the entrance dey were demanding for Rogers) God help us. Flew Ethiopian airline, Now in Mississauga.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by redocean: 8:54am On Feb 09, 2018
AZeD1:

Thanks alot for this vital information. Any idea about this -

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ekinado: 8:57am On Feb 09, 2018
Good morning House

please what kind of drugs should I buy when travelling, am traveling next week

thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 9:29am On Feb 09, 2018
Fusion23:

The PR card can take from 8-15 weeks , but once you have land in Canada you are already a permanent residence and its in the database..she can get an emergency travel documents she might pay for it...don't know the process
nope. Only the prtd which can only be applied for from outside Canada after landing and takes an average of 12 weeks. Back in the day some people have been successful at crossing landed borders between Canada and the US with a stamped copr but I don't think that works anymore. A better option would be to re route the trip to visit the states first prior to landing

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kemmytino(f): 9:55am On Feb 09, 2018
rainazoe:

Ekaabo. How is the weather now?

Omo, it's not funny especially for my hubby
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by redocean: 10:30am On Feb 09, 2018
vcole:
nope. Only the prtd which can only be applied for from outside Canada after landing and takes an average of 12 weeks. Back in the day some people have been successful at crossing landed borders between Canada and the US with a stamped copr but I don't think that works anymore. A better option would be to re route the trip to visit the states first prior to landing

Thanks for heads up. I plan to re route trip to visit US first. Any info on below question?

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mamacajah: 1:02pm On Feb 09, 2018
redocean:

Thanks for heads up. I plan to re route trip to visit US first. Any info on below question?

Hello, if the aim is just to do 3 weeks visit and return to resign, why not plan for madam and your daughter to stay on till the cards are ready before coming back to Najia? Although some people have done it in the past, to courier their cards either to UK or Najia,search the thread for those entries. So unless the brief seperation option isn't an option for your family at this time, then you might just have to go on with your initial plan. my 2 cents...hope this helps.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 1:07pm On Feb 09, 2018
Ekinado:
Good morning House

please what kind of drugs should I buy when travelling, am traveling next week

thanks

Pure white cocaine, newly cooked Methamphetamine and harvested marijuana.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vascey(m): 1:58pm On Feb 09, 2018
Canadianfly:

Funny

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 2:17pm On Feb 09, 2018
Canadianfly:

Off White coke is actually better.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by redocean: 3:14pm On Feb 09, 2018
mamacajah:

Hello, if the aim is just to do 3 weeks visit and return to resign, why not plan for madam and your daughter to stay on till the cards are ready before coming back to Najia? Although some people have done it in the past, to courier their cards either to UK or Najia,search the thread for those entries. So unless the brief seperation option isn't an option for your family at this time, then you might just have to go on with your initial plan. my 2 cents...hope this helps.

Thanks much,

Sounds like a good option except for the avoidable high cost of taking this option. Will do the maths. Thanks again.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ekinado: 3:52pm On Feb 09, 2018
Canadianfly:

Lol Canadianfly why na
Abeg not that kind of drugs o
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by olajide21: 6:14pm On Feb 09, 2018
kemmytino:

Welcome home!!!

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by soja84: 6:41pm On Feb 09, 2018
Dear All,we finally travelled on Friday(2nd of Feb) and landed on the 3rd(Saturday ) via Ethiopian Airlines.

I travelled with my family (Wife and Child ) and my friend with his wife and Child too.That makes us 2 families(2guys,2,wives and 2 boys!).The 2 boys will be 2years by May.

Flight was for 13.40pm(Nigerian Time),so we got there around 9.30.Started with excess luggages as 3 out of our 5 bags were above 23kg. They were actually between 24 and 25kg.We had to remove some stuffs to make the weight limit .My friend's 5 bags were all overweight so they had to buy one GMG bag and return one box which made the load reduce.
Overall,the guys at the counter were nice and assisted us in sorting ourselves out.We didn't have any foodstuff seized, infact we were not asked at Lagos Airport.Please go there with 500naira notes for 'Happy New Year' and I'm sure you'll be fine.

In-flight entertainment was ok.Food wasn't bad too but most of us couldn't eat it. However, that wasn't due to bad quality.In all,the Hostesses were very nice as our boys were so handful and were practically screaming and disturbing everyone due to plenty energy!Once one is asleep and quiet, the other would start his own drama.But the hostesses were nice and understanding.Apart from the food that we couldnt really eat,we had a good time with every other thing.The plenty extras,snacks,wine,beer etc especially if you're a fan sha, lol.Intact,we got tired of it!

We got to Addis Ababa around 7pm (Nigerian Time,9pm Addis Ababa) time.They didn't ask for our foodstuffs or anything,just normal checking in of hand luggages.Spent 2hours there and had to deal with another round of stress from the boys!

Boarded the plane to Toronto by 9pm,Nigerian Time (11 Addis Ababa time) and then the long journey began!We got to Dublin after about 8hours to refuel while some passengers disembarked.That was the 1st time,I started feeling the cold,just opening of the aircraft!We waited for one hour there.After the 1hour wait which felt like 3hours,we started another 7.25hrs journey to Toronto.

To be continued.....

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SixSigma1(m): 7:10pm On Feb 09, 2018
vcole:

Regarding the statement in bold, without your PR card, it is still permitted to cross landed borders with your stamped Record of Landing Document (IMM 1000) or stamped COPR but crossing has to be done by private vehicle (i.e. a car, truck, motorcycle, or recreational vehicle that you own, borrow, or rent). If you are crossing landed boarders by commercial vehicle (i.e. a bus such as greyhound bus, a car such as taxi etc. or the train), you will need your PR card or a PRTD to cross.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:20pm On Feb 09, 2018
Hi everyone,
Does anyone have a link to ship a box of about 40kg to canada? Pls help. I'm running short of time

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by soja84: 7:29pm On Feb 09, 2018
Part 2.....

So we got to Toronto around 8am Canadian Time on Saturday and we had a flight for 8.50am to Regina.The 1st Lady we met at the desk (Don't know what They are called) asked for the amount we brought in and if we had dairy products. Told her 9.5k USD and dried smoked fish.She also asked if we were still shipping things in at a latter date. She wrote down the amount,gave us back our COPR and told us to proceed to meet the immigration guys.We met a small queue there probably because it was a Saturday.

My friend was the 1st family to see the immigration guy who was a white guy....he was very nice to them.Asked them how much they brought to which they answered (7.5k USD ).The guy said he didn't need to see it and was very friendly with them. Had plenty gist with them as we watched on.

Then came my turn,the voice said 'Next'...was the only black man there.Wasn't friendly at all,was asking different stories (who's the Principal Applicant,how much funds ,where are we staying etc)...well,no big deal since he was doing his job.Next thing,he asked again,how much are you bringing to Canada in Cash which I responded by saying 9.5k USD. Then he said,I gonna have to see the cash and count!I just told my wife to bring what was with her (since we already split the money into 2 cos of Naija airport).The moment he saw that I brought the money out,he changed the story to 'I hope you realise the money is not enough for your stay to which I responded that we have money in our account and that a have the statement to show for it.
He then said,Ok calculate all you have in the account and cash and tell me,to which I answered 19k CAD.
Then he said go and sit down and wait for me.I was like....I hope say this guy no dy plan to send me back to Naija for another 24-26hrs flight!
Luckily, he called is after 15mins when my friend was already long done!Told us to sign our COPR,gave us our copies back and said welcome to Canada.Even people that didn't know us came and we're asking questions that all the whites that attended to them were so friendly.Only asked for the amount they brought in and told them specifically that they didn't need to see it.

By the time we were done with them,we had already missed our flight to Regina.They put us on the next flight which was for 4.40pm(Toronto time ) so we had to wait at the airport for about 6hours or so.

Got to Regina around 8.30pm....my friend came,picked us up and also organised 2 extra cabs for us.We already ordered 2 car seats before coming so that my friend will be able to carry the kids.The weather was minus 29 whem we landed so we had to quickly change to our shubushakers(huge winter boots) right from the airport make man nor go die!lol.We proceeded to his house and moved to the houses we already paid for before landing after 2days.

On Monday,we opened our Bank accounts,got our SINs,bought phones we're now settling in small small o.Also visited Regina Open Door society yesterday and they were so helpful. We plan to visit Catholic society and YMCA too on Monday as they were recommended by the Regina Open Door Society guys.

I hope say my story no too long...lol....Just say make I share my story.

A wonderful thank you to everyone on this thread for all the info!God bless you all!This is a dream come true for me!Thanks once again.

85 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:34pm On Feb 09, 2018
kemmytino:

Welcome! How is the weather now and how much did you pay for Ethiopian airline?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by olajide21: 8:29pm On Feb 09, 2018
soja84:
Part 2.....

So we got to Toronto around 8am Canadian Time on Saturday and we had a flight for 8.50am to ReƬgina.The 1st Lady we met at the desk (Don't know what They are called) asked for the amount we brought in and if we had dairy products. Told her 9.5k USD and dried smoked fish.She also asked if we were still shipping things in at a latter date. She wrote down the amount,gave us back our COPR and told us to proceed to meet the immigration guys.We met a small queue there probably because it was a Saturday.

My friend was the 1st family to see the immigration guy who was a white guy....he was very nice to them.Asked them how much they brought to which they answered (7.5k USD ).The guy said he didn't need to see it and was very friendly with them. Had plenty gist with them as we watched on.

Then came my turn,the voice said 'Next'...was the only black man there.Wasn't friendly at all,was asking different stories (who's the Principal Applicant,how much funds ,where are we staying etc)...well,no big deal since he was doing his job.Next thing,he asked again,how much are you bringing to Canada in Cash which I responded by saying 9.5k USD. Then he said,I gonna have to see the cash and count!I just told my wife to bring what was with her (since we already split the money into 2 cos of Naija airport).The moment he saw that I brought the money out,he changed the story to 'I hope you realise the money is not enough for your stay to which I responded that we have money in our account and that a have the statement to show for it.
He then said,Ok calculate all you have in the account and cash and tell me,to which I answered 19k CAD.
Then he said go and sit down and wait for me.I was like....I hope say this guy no dy plan to send me back to Naija for another 24-26hrs flight!
Luckily, he called is after 15mins when my friend was already long done!Told us to sign our COPR,gave us our copies back and said welcome to Canada.Even people that didn't know us came and we're asking questions that all the whites that attended

On Monday,we opened our Bank accounts,got our SINs,bought phones we're now settling in small small o.Also visited Regina Open Door society yesterday and they were so helpful. We plan to visit Catholic society and YMCA too on Monday as they were recommended by the Regina Open Door Society guys.

I hope say my story no too long...lol....Just say make I share my story.

A wonderful thank you to everyone on this thread for all the info!God bless you all!This is a dream come true for me!Thanks once again.

Go and prosper in the land!!!

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 8:58pm On Feb 09, 2018
soja84:
Dear All,we finally travelled on Friday(2nd of Feb) and landed on the 3rd(Saturday ) via Ethiopian Airlines.

Nice! Enjoy Canny land.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bbaby84(f): 9:06pm On Feb 09, 2018
SixSigma1:

Regarding the statement in bold, without your PR card, it is still permitted to cross landed borders with your stamped Record of Landing Document (IMM 1000) or stamped COPR but crossing has to be done by private vehicle (i.e. a car, truck, motorcycle, or recreational vehicle that you own, borrow, or rent). If you are crossing landed boarders by commercial vehicle (i.e. a bus such as greyhound bus, a car such as taxi etc. or the train), you will need your PR card or a PRTD to cross.

I was about to say this. Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by victory4sure: 9:14pm On Feb 09, 2018
Hello guys,

I have a diploma in IFRS (dipIFR) and also a BSC from Unilag. Will I qualify for two certificates in the Canadian Ranking System for immigrants? Your responses will be highly appreciated

(1) (2) (3) ... (220) (221) (222) (223) (224) (225) (226) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.