Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,276 members, 7,815,458 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:44 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (309) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1983657 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (306) (307) (308) (309) (310) (311) (312) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by hayor2014(m): 12:26pm On Jun 13, 2018
A friend could previously nominate but lately, MANITOBA has played that down , cos of people like the poster above who are willing to pay for nomination.....Who would blame them....some Nigerians will always want to cut corners.....

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by smslive2: 1:54pm On Jun 13, 2018
I am watching the 2 both of you

***Back to silent reader mode***

Newmum0615:
LMAO. Wetin you find come here o?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sexymj(f): 6:28pm On Jun 13, 2018
Mums with kids less than 12 yrs and spouse back in Nigeria.

wholesomegrace:

Which group are you referring to?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Saintp(m): 6:57pm On Jun 13, 2018
emelueobi:
I submitted 22nd of May at VFS lekki office, my cic account just got changed to background check completed, and your application was approved this evening. So check your cic account.

No update yet ooo. This CIC guys sef..

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by PefHouse: 10:18pm On Jun 13, 2018
SolutionsGuy:

Thanks a lot.
Spouse wouldn't just yield to taking IELTS.

Ask her if she is ready to stay 2 yrs before she joins you. She would write it.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 10:49pm On Jun 13, 2018
grin Even you too?
smslive2:
I am watching the 2 both of you

***Back to silent reader mode***

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Asinkwa(f): 1:43am On Jun 14, 2018
@Mr. Blackbuddy, please sir, I have responded to your email.

Asinkwa:
Good afternoon Sir,
Please I have sent you a PM, I need guidance on some career decisions.
Regards.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 3:18am On Jun 14, 2018
Please i need help o,any ideas of how i can send my luggages down to canda from abuja,most of d cargo companies are in lagos,pls advise if u know anyone or contact in abuja.Thank u
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by wholesomegrace: 8:58am On Jun 14, 2018
sexymj:
Mums with kids less than 12 yrs and spouse back in Nigeria.

Okay, no group yet please. I only exchanged messages thru e-mail then with the other 2 mums. Maybe when we cross over, we might begin to exchange ideas
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newbeecey: 9:43am On Jun 14, 2018
We should o... @wholesomegrace i responded to your mail some days ago o; nothing has changed
wholesomegrace:

Okay, no group yet please. I only exchanged messages thru e-mail then with the other 2 mums. Maybe when we cross over, we might begin to exchange ideas
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Bunmibest: 10:06am On Jun 14, 2018
Hello, I called NAHCO some days back and they said they can help. I was asked to come to Cargo session at the Abuja airport. Will see if i can see them this week

hotD:
Please i need help o,any ideas of how i can send my luggages down to canda from abuja,most of d cargo companies are in lagos,pls advise if u know anyone or contact in abuja.Thank u

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by smslive2: 12:20pm On Jun 14, 2018

3 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Jennypharb1: 12:41pm On Jun 14, 2018
I'm still here oh, incase you guys are trying to forget. Edakun epp a sister with information, links, previous posts I may have missed

Jennypharb1:
Hey guys, I'm in the process of applying for PR. Please lawyers currently living/practicing in Canada I need your input and anyone else with this info.
- What city are you currently living in
- What has been your experience with evaluating your results with NCA and writing the exams in the city you are in
- Which cities are 'more favorable' to practice in whether as a barrister or solicitor
- What kind of jobs are available before the call to bar e.g legal research etc
- Any info that will be useful to me in preparing to make this big move I'll appreciate
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sexymj(f): 1:56pm On Jun 14, 2018
Please, we need a group *cries*
wholesomegrace:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by wholesomegrace: 3:51pm On Jun 14, 2018
Newbeecey:
We should o... @wholesomegrace i responded to your mail some days ago o; nothing has changed

Oh, okay. will check.

You know because we are still in naija, our swagger has not been gingered. By the time we arrive in canny, no one will teach us to start exchanging notes grin by the time hubby zaps back to naija. I've registered for pre-arrival services. My session is next Tuesday.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newbeecey: 11:46pm On Jun 14, 2018
ohh ok...Thats the one that has the last session in August right. We that have not submitted application will leave u seniors to clear the ground for us a little. lol
wholesomegrace:

Oh, okay. will check.

You know because we are still in naija, our swagger has not been gingered. By the time we arrive in canny, no one will teach us to start exchanging notes grin by the time hubby zaps back to naija. I've registered for pre-arrival services. My session is next Tuesday.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Abuhuhu: 9:31am On Jun 15, 2018
Hello guys, Please i need you help, I work in Nigeria as a tax consultant with one of the big 4, though i know as a tax person, my job is juridisction base. Please what is the possibility of getting a job in Canada from Nigeria, even if i have to change to another aspect of accounting, how relevant will i be in Canada. I have my ICAN and Msc here in Nigeria and about entring the pool.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jun 15, 2018
Go here and read from page 0. ==> https://www.nairaland.com/4472519/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled
Abuhuhu:
Hello guys, Please i need you help, I work in Nigeria as a tax consultant with one of the big 4, though i know as a tax person, my job is juridisction base. Please what is the possibility of getting a job in Canada from Nigeria, even if i have to change to another aspect of accounting, how relevant will i be in Canada. I have my ICAN and Msc here in Nigeria and about entring the pool.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Oopsy(f): 1:31pm On Jun 15, 2018
My people, I need 'moment of truth' info. Want to know the implications of applying with spouse unaccompanying.... positive and negative...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Asinkwa(f): 1:47pm On Jun 15, 2018
I know someone who left a Big 4 in Nigeria as a Tax Manager and got a role as a Tax senior in the same Big 4 firm in Canada. So it is possible.

Abuhuhu:
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Eyifunmi: 2:57pm On Jun 15, 2018
Oopsy:
My people, I need 'moment of truth' info. Want to know the implications of applying with spouse unaccompanying.... positive and negative...
If you apply as unaccompanying, you would have to sponsor your spouse and wait a minimum of twelve months, which is exhausting and emotionally wrecking.
You would deal with Accra visa office, and go through the stress.
Your application would be treated under spousal sponsorship criteria, and it is no joke.
You might get frustrated along the way, and have to make numerous trips to Nigeria?
Are you ready to Count the cost?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by A555: 3:13pm On Jun 15, 2018
Oopsy:

Eyifunmi:

If you apply as unaccompanying, you would have to sponsor your spouse and wait a minimum of twelve months, which is exhausting and emotionally wrecking.
Your application would be treated under spousal sponsorship criteria, and it is no joke.
You might get frustrated along the way, and have to make numerous trips to Nigeria?

honestly, i think it is a struggle to come up with positives for applying with spouse unaccompanying. Even when you spouse is not ready to move yet, if you are the primary applicant, you can land alone first and have your spouse do a short landing at a more convenient time, so long as it is within the validity of his/her medicals and COPR.

Maybe the only positive (depending on how you view it) is not having to pay the fees for the accompanying spouse yet, so less cost to start with.

But things like cost of living (maintaining two homes is expensive and consider also the value of the naira if cash is being sent to you in Canada), and combine that with the hassle described by @Eyifunmi noting also that the current immigration policy is not cast in stone (a change in govt can bring in significant changes that can affect the chances or difficulty of a spouse joining in future).

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by luffyhaki: 4:55pm On Jun 15, 2018
A555:

honestly, i think it is a struggle to come up with positives for applying with spouse unaccompanying. Even when you spouse is not ready to move yet, if you are the primary applicant, you can land alone first and have your spouse do a short landing at a more convenient time, so long as it is within the validity of his/her medicals and COPR.

Maybe the only positive (depending on how you view it) is not having to pay the fees for the accompanying spouse yet, so less cost to start with.

But things like cost of living (maintaining two homes is expensive and consider also the value of the naira if cash is being sent to you in Canada), and combine that with the hassle described by @Eyifunmi noting also that the current immigration policy is not cast in stone (a change in govt can bring in significant changes that can affect the chances or difficulty of a spouse joining in future).

Brilliant cost benefit analysis

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Oopsy(f): 5:14pm On Jun 15, 2018
Thank you for this. I Appreciate

Eyifunmi:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Oopsy(f): 5:18pm On Jun 15, 2018
Thanks a lot. Spouse is actually not even ready to leave even if she is accompanying, so we are looking for a way out...

I appreciate.
A555:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by behati: 10:50pm On Jun 15, 2018
Asinkwa:
I know someone who left a Big 4 in Nigeria as a Tax Manager and got a role as a Tax senior in the same Big 4 firm in Canada. So it is possible.

Realistically, it may not be easy to get into taxation with your Nigeria tax experience unless you're willing to start afresh or leverage your networks to get an internal transfer from your current big 4. If you're in transfer pricing though, it would be easier.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kachikapor(m): 2:59am On Jun 16, 2018
Hey Guys,

Is there anyone currently using this program to buy their home? or any other program for that matter...I need your input here. Seniors who have bought/are buying their homes in Canada, please share your experiences and opinions here.

Thanks

smslive2:
New to Canada program helps new Canadians purchase their first home
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by A555: 3:42am On Jun 16, 2018
Oopsy:
Thanks a lot. Spouse is actually not even ready to leave even if she is accompanying, so we are looking for a way out...

I appreciate.

If spouse isn't ready to leave, I would suggest completing the application with her accompanying still, then she makes a short landing using as much of her annual leave as possible before returning. If she's around long enough to get her PR card, that's excellent. If not, it gets delivered to you and you can hold on to it till you can arrange to get it across to her. She can spend up to 3 years outside Canada while making up her mind one way or the other. And if she decides to come in, she will need to spend the last 2 years of the validity of her PR in Canada, so it is renewable.

Best wishes with whatever decisions you guys make ultimately.

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by A555: 4:43am On Jun 16, 2018
kachikapor:
Hey Guys,

Is there anyone currently using this program to buy their home? or any other program for that matter...I need your input here. Seniors who have bought/are buying their homes in Canada, please share your experiences and opinions here.

Thanks

The details of the program look exactly the same as an RBC mortgage adviser explained to me, so I expect it should also be available via any bank you already bank with.

Maybe if you have specific questions, I might have answers from my discussion with the mortgage adviser.

Otherwise, here is some generic information from the details I picked up on:

1. The rule of thumb is that you could be eligible for 5x(Annual gross), as a maximum mortgage value.
2. You can pay as low as 5% downpayment, however, for a downpayment less than 20%, you need to also pay for default insurance (insurance protecting against potential default on the mortgage due to the low downpayment).The insurance premium can be paid as a one-off payment when you close on the purchase of a property, or can be added to the mortgage principal amount so it becomes extra dollars on your monthly payments.
3. Proof of the source of the downpayment may be required. If from Canadian earnings, it will be obvious in your a/c statement that it's coming from your paycheck. If transferred from outside Canada, it should be in your account in CAD up to 3 months before you apply for the mortgage and you should have proof of the source of the funds (a/c statements, transfer instructions, etc) or confirmation it's a gift.
4. I understand there is a greater tax burden on new build homes versus already built homes. As a general rule, real property transactions are taxable, even when the vendor is a small supplier and/or is not registered for GST/HST. In such cases, the vendor must collect and remit the tax (unless the purchaser is a GST/HST registrant—see discussion that follows). However, the sale of used residential property and certain sales of real property by an individual who is not engaged in a business are generally exempt from GST/ HST. In the case of bare land, if the property has been subdivided into more than two parts, even an unregistered individual must generally collect GST/HST when the property is sold. (http://www.taxplanningguide.ca/tax-planning-guide/section-1-businesses/gsthst-real-property-sales/)

Without going into too much more detail, I will expect your mortgage adviser will provide a lot of the specifics that relate to your particular needs. The mortgage advisor will be able to work out what your interest rates will be, and give an idea of the monthly payments.

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Terjim2(m): 6:30am On Jun 16, 2018
Can anyone kindly assist me with ielts exams likely questions for preparation. Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by luffyhaki: 8:35am On Jun 16, 2018
pleasureosondu:
Please I have a problem. Long story short.
I just noticed that the name on my international passport and driver's license, spelt "Michael" is different from what I have on my academic record "Micheal". What do I need to do?
Note, I've not yet applied.

One and same person affidavit should help

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (306) (307) (308) (309) (310) (311) (312) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.