Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,318 members, 7,811,945 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:32 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (312) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1981471 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (309) (310) (311) (312) (313) (314) (315) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by solos007: 5:38am On Jun 20, 2018
Well...A+ is a very good starting point. It helps you get down with the basics.

After that, it now depends on your interest.

Operations: infrastructure(Hardware, Cloud Technologies, Networks, Servers, Storage, End-User Devices, BYOD)

Software:Software developer(Programmers), Web developer (FrontEnd & BackEnd), Database Admins (DBAs),Graphics & Animation)

Governance & Compliance :Security (CISSP, CISA, CISM,CEH,GPEN,SANS,OSCP),ITIL,TOGAF)

Analysis: Business Intelligence (BI), Big Data & Analytics, Data Science & Modeling

DadR:
Thanks for the swift response. Diz ones no be small children certs ooo. Well done.

I'm actually considering switching careers to IT from banking, so making research to know which way to go. I'm presently romancing CompTIA A+. Any suggestions?

14 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by solos007: 5:47am On Jun 20, 2018
Thank You.

A lot of IT people have it like that.
In my Nigerian voice, "it's our work oh!" ... cheesy

TheCongo2:

I am very impressed bro. Haven't seen anyone with that many certificates

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DadR: 6:11am On Jun 20, 2018
Thanks again Boss. I think Operations is more like it for me. Will continue to work towards it.

solos007:

Operations: infrastructure(Hardware, Cloud Technologies, Networks, Servers, Storage, End-User Devices, BYOD)

Software:Software developer(Programmers), Web developer (FrontEnd & BackEnd), Database Admins (DBAs),Graphics & Animation)

Governance & Compliance :Security (CISSP, CISA, CISM,CEH,GPEN,SANS,OSCP),ITIL,TOGAF)

Analysis: Business Intelligence (BI), Big Data & Analytics, Data Science & Modeling

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by hifyty(m): 6:14am On Jun 20, 2018
Folks,
I just wanted to share the approach I used in getting multiple job offers. So as soon as we got our PR, I started to look for a job in Canada. My first point of call was my current company. I work in the O&G industry and we have company presence in Calgary. The only caveat to this was that I was sponsored by Ontario PNP and hence ran the risk of running into problems later but all the same, I spoke to our HR in Calgary and they offered me a contractor position that would enable me work from home and visit Calgary 2x in a month. My people say, half bread is better than buns. So I held on to that offer and kept looking for other options in ON. By the way, I am a systems Analyst / Systems Administrator. The first thing I did was to get my resume into Canadian shape. I reached out to about 2 friends who are based in Canada to send me templates and I did a pretty good job in making mine. The next thing I did was to get a Canadian Number. in this case, I used an app called (text now) and put this on my resume as well as the home address of one of my friends. And bingo, the calls started to come in for interview requests. my favorite hunting place has to be indeed.ca but there are other effective ones like ziprecruiter.com, Workopolis.com,glassdoor.ca, LinkedIn and monster.ca. I would say I got an average of 2 interviews in a week.
Once an interview call came in, the recruiter or hiring manager would ask about my residency status and availability. I would normally tell them that I am not landed yet but I have my COPR and I am available in 30 days or if the offer is right in 15 days. Now to be honest, most of my interview really go smooth because I am well experienced in my Job and most often than not, I nail the interview but sometimes they want people to come in for a face to face interview or ready to start immediately but I still managed to get a few of them who didn’t mind the wait and we had series of several interviews via video conferencing and right now I have 2 pretty good job offers. One in a bank and the other an ecommerce website. from what I have experienced so far and depending on the company, the first step in the process would be a talent acquisition personnel or HR personnel reaching out to you on phone to discuss the role and this takes anywhere from 15mins to an hour long talk. And they ask you about what you do and everything as claimed on your resume and put in a little screening questions on the technical side in there just to know if you know what you are doing. if you get pass the HR, then you will be invited to talk to the hiring manager or like the team lead of where you end up working. Now this is mostly technical stuffs and as well as checking out for cultural fit. So be prepared for scenario based questions as well as all those why do you think you are the best fit for this job kind of questions. If you scale through this, for some companies they might hire you at this point if they like you but some even go further for another level of interview. At least, For my 2 job offers we went on to have another round of interviews and this had HR, Hiring Manager and a Snr Mgr. in attendance and we started the whole discussion all over and to God be the Glory, I was given offers to start in July. My family and I arrive first week in July and I would be starting work July 9th.
I would also like to advise folks to read about the company (very important) and read the JD very well and see if you can do the Job and shoot for it. For example, even though I am systems analyst/ administrator, The job offer I got in the bank is for an Office365/Microsoft Exchange Admin. If you are given an offer, you would need proof that you are eligible to work in Canada. In both cases, my prospective employers were satisfied with my COPR Visa. So keep looking and searching and never say never you might just be able to get something before landing. I hope this helps someone, it will end in praise!

157 Likes 51 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by luffyhaki: 6:28am On Jun 20, 2018
hifyty:
Folks,
I just wanted to share the approach I used in getting multiple job offers.

Congrats Hifyty..Thanks for the tips
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 9:07am On Jun 20, 2018
hifyty:
Folks,

Congratulations!!!! Regards to miss hifyty
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DadR: 9:18am On Jun 20, 2018
Congrats on your COPR and job offer. I wish you all the best.

Could you please share the certs you have as a Systems Analyst/Administrator? Also, how many years of work experience do you have?

Regards,

hifyty:
Folks,
I just wanted to share the approach I used in getting multiple job offers. So as soon as we got our PR, I started to look for a job in Canada. My first point of call was my current company. I work in the O&G industry and we have company presence in Calgary. The only caveat to this was that I was sponsored by Ontario PNP and hence ran the risk of running into problems later but all the same, I spoke to our HR in Calgary and they offered me a contractor position that would enable me work from home and visit Calgary 2x in a month. My people say, half bread is better than buns. So I held on to that offer and kept looking for other options in ON. By the way, I am a systems Analyst / Systems Administrator. For example, even though I am systems analyst/ administrator, The job offer I got in the bank is for an Office365/Microsoft Exchange Admin.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by hifyty(m): 9:47am On Jun 20, 2018
MCSE
MCSA
MCP
CCNA
CEH
A+
N+
ITIL Service Operations
ITIL Foundation
Bsc.Computer Engineering with 8 years of experience

DadR:
Congrats on your COPR and job offer. I wish you all the best.

Could you please share the certs you have as a Systems Analyst/Administrator? Also, how many years of work experience do you have?

Regards,

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by revenant: 10:39am On Jun 20, 2018
hifyty:
Folks,
I just wanted to share the approach I used in getting multiple job offers.

And you were not asked why you had to put a Canadian address while you are not in the country?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DadR: 10:42am On Jun 20, 2018
Nice Certs you got here. Thanks for responding asap.

Regards,

hifyty:
MCSE
MCSA
MCP
CCNA
CEH
A+
N+
ITIL Service Operations
ITIL Foundation
Bsc.Computer Engineering with 8 years of experience

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Oladainty(f): 11:08am On Jun 20, 2018
Hello Everyone,
How soon should one expect a new PPR after adding a new born. I would appreciate response. Thank you so much.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by hifyty(m): 11:09am On Jun 20, 2018
i would say i got lucky most of the time as i was never asked especially when the conversation usually starts with me declaring that i am not yet landed and i am just counting down my notice period. some of them outrightly tell you this can't work and but then again, absolutely nothing to lose by trying.

revenant:

And you were not asked why you had to put a Canadian address while you are not in the country?

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by revenant: 11:15am On Jun 20, 2018
hifyty:
i would say i got lucky most of the time as i was never asked especially when the conversation usually starts with me declaring that i am not yet landed and i am just counting down my notice period. some of them outrightly tell you this can't work and but then again, absolutely nothing to lose by trying.

Ok
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jun 20, 2018
Good afternoon Fam!

I'll be moving to Ontario mid-august . I have made some research on how to obtain the G-license in Ontario. I understand that I would need to pass the G1 test first. I have more than 3 years driving experience here in Nigeria and I was told I can get a letter to enable me undergo the G test immediately.

I would like to know if this letter is to be obtained here in Naija (FRSC) or I have to obtain it at the Nigeria High Commission in Ottawa?

Kindly advice. Thanks

Warm wishes,

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by esosa4real(m): 2:35pm On Jun 20, 2018
Akingsqueen:
Hey Esosa,
I know this has already been so long but do you still have this link? Can you add me up? I am just about to land and I need all the guide.

Greetings, willl send you a PM
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Olufemi99(f): 3:55pm On Jun 20, 2018
maternal:

I can’t answer everything, just the things I’m sure about, as it’s been a while.

# Was first in Ontario now Alberta. With Alberta having oil I found there were more jobs, and Alberta has one of the lowest taxes in the country. Sales tax is only 5 percent.

# Live in a middle-class neighborhood. I have no complaints. Choosing a neighborhood depends on you personally, nobody can answer that. Mortgage plans depends on your credit score, the down payment you’ve made, etc. Again this is something personal that nobody can answer.

#It’s not hard to settle in a civilized/developed country. All schools are decent really.

#You can combine work and taking care of the kids, but it’ll be hard and you may not see the kids as much. Welcome to North America.

# Other than the cold which you’ll become climatize, there’s no real culture shock. Everyone from around the world lives here, and western culture is popular and not as foreign as other cultures. Plus you have enough Nigerians here to feel comfortable if you start feeling homesick.

# Just buy warm clothes. As for the cold weather, you have heaters literally everywhere you go. Plus we get a good 6 months of warm weather, so it’s not cold 12 months out of the year like stereotyped.

# A naija dish can go for 10-12 dollars a plate. Jelloff, stew, goat meat, and a can of coke for example.

#You can start any business you want as long as you follow rules/regulations

# How much someone can survive on depends on that family. Again, this is a personal question.

Calgary is a good, clean, and progressive city. I find Alberta to be more progressive than other provinces. Choosing Calgary was a wise choice in my opinion. What made you pick Calgary ? Welcome to Calgary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpnO1HOmtfE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9Fhp-XJ6xo&t=9s
am trying hard to work out a three month visa..
so how far with Canada visa renewal?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by wisdom77: 7:34pm On Jun 20, 2018
See this for those interested.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nekdr: 9:05pm On Jun 20, 2018
Please i recently just got PPR and planning on leaving like next month. I need help with
1. Cheap flights to Calgary for next month.
2. What I require for driving and link to get a Nigeria drivers Licence. Thanks

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by luffyhaki: 9:49pm On Jun 20, 2018
Nekdr:
Please i recently just got PPR and planning on leaving like next month. I need help with
1. Cheap flights to Calgary for next month.
2. What I require for driving and link to get a Nigeria drivers Licence. Thanks

Na wa for you..Oya submit.your PPR timeline on the other thread.

Congrats btw

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 4:27am On Jun 21, 2018
Hi, for those interested. Thunder Bay, Ontario smiley

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Akingsqueen: 6:12am On Jun 21, 2018
Thanks for this. Please how did you use the text now call app because I downloaded it and it says "this app is not available in your country "

hifyty:
Folks,
I just wanted to share the approach I used in getting multiple job offers. So as soon as we got our PR, I started to look for a job in Canada. My first point of call was my current company. I work in the O&G industry and we have company presence in Calgary. The only caveat to this was that I was sponsored by Ontario PNP and hence ran the risk of running into problems later but all the same, I spoke to our HR in Calgary and they offered me a contractor position that would enable me work from home and visit Calgary 2x in a month. My people say, half bread is better than buns. So I held on to that offer and kept looking for other options in ON. By the way, I am a systems Analyst / Systems Administrator. The first thing I did was to get my resume into Canadian shape. I reached out to about 2 friends who are based in Canada to send me templates and I did a pretty good job in making mine. The next thing I did was to get a Canadian Number. in this case, I used an app called (text now) and put this on my resume as well as the home address of one of my friends. And bingo, the calls started to come in for interview requests. my favorite hunting place has to be indeed.ca but there are other effective ones like ziprecruiter.com, Workopolis.com,glassdoor.ca, LinkedIn and monster.ca. I would say I got an average of 2 interviews in a week.
Once an interview call came in, the recruiter or hiring manager would ask about my residency status and availability. I would normally tell them that I am not landed yet but I have my COPR and I am available in 30 days or if the offer is right in 15 days. Now to be honest, most of my interview really go smooth because I am well experienced in my Job and most often than not, I nail the interview but sometimes they want people to come in for a face to face interview or ready to start immediately but I still managed to get a few of them who didn’t mind the wait and we had series of several interviews via video conferencing and right now I have 2 pretty good job offers. One in a bank and the other an ecommerce website. from what I have experienced so far and depending on the company, the first step in the process would be a talent acquisition personnel or HR personnel reaching out to you on phone to discuss the role and this takes anywhere from 15mins to an hour long talk. And they ask you about what you do and everything as claimed on your resume and put in a little screening questions on the technical side in there just to know if you know what you are doing. if you get pass the HR, then you will be invited to talk to the hiring manager or like the team lead of where you end up working. Now this is mostly technical stuffs and as well as checking out for cultural fit. So be prepared for scenario based questions as well as all those why do you think you are the best fit for this job kind of questions. If you scale through this, for some companies they might hire you at this point if they like you but some even go further for another level of interview. At least, For my 2 job offers we went on to have another round of interviews and this had HR, Hiring Manager and a Snr Mgr. in attendance and we started the whole discussion all over and to God be the Glory, I was given offers to start in July. My family and I arrive first week in July and I would be starting work July 9th.
I would also like to advise folks to read about the company (very important) and read the JD very well and see if you can do the Job and shoot for it. For example, even though I am systems analyst/ administrator, The job offer I got in the bank is for an Office365/Microsoft Exchange Admin. If you are given an offer, you would need proof that you are eligible to work in Canada. In both cases, my prospective employers were satisfied with my COPR Visa. So keep looking and searching and never say never you might just be able to get something before landing. I hope this helps someone, it will end in praise!

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by damzy88: 7:40am On Jun 21, 2018
vcole:
On the issue of invitations and sponsorships, I may be wrong but the ability to sponsor a spouse or relative as a PR is contingent on not receiving social assistance aka welfare at the time (or within 1yr) of the application.
sent you a pm
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sexymj(f): 8:47am On Jun 21, 2018
Fare prices start to go down in September.

luffyhaki:

Na wa for you..Oya submit.your PPR timeline on the other thread.

Congrats btw

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by smslive2: 10:58am On Jun 21, 2018
It gladdens my heart to read this from you Man @Hifyty... Go and Excel!
Powerful Tip you have highlighted here... In Addition to the job boards, you can try wowjobs

hifyty:
Folks,
I just wanted to share the approach I used in getting multiple job offers. So as soon as we got our PR, I started to look for a job in Canada. So keep looking and searching and never say never you might just be able to get something before landing. I hope this helps someone, it will end in praise!

3 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by smslive2: 11:00am On Jun 21, 2018
SharePoint is also a very good solution for anyone planning to go into IT
solos007:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DadR: 4:12pm On Jun 21, 2018
Can you shed more light on SharePoint?

smslive2:
SharePoint is also a very good solution for anyone planning to go into IT

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by PPR18: 7:15pm On Jun 21, 2018
Hello House. So glad to have migrated to this place. Timeline is
AOR. APRIL 15
MEP. APRIL 21
ADR. MAY 16
ADR SUP MAY 19
PPR MAY 29
Please seniors apart from my driving license what else do I need to fasten my driving test in Alberta. I asked someone in FRSC about the abstract and she said they stopped giving. Please any information on this will be appreciated. Thanks all.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fameli: 11:00pm On Jun 21, 2018
Hello please how do I send my passport to vfs via dhl, will I make the payment and for all family members individually and email to vfs please advise.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sunnex16: 12:16am On Jun 22, 2018
Pls how do I get a Canadian phone number from Naija?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sly4reall: 12:24am On Jun 22, 2018
Hello, I want to confirm if I can use the same WES Reference number I used initially to evaluate my Master Degree, (the evaluation has been completed) I am planning to evaluate my Bachelors Degree now cos it may be require for the Canadian Job market. So any Idea if I can evaluate it as Returning Applicants or New Applicants. Kindly advise.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by primeson1(m): 2:37am On Jun 22, 2018
only your naija license is required in Alberta

PPR18:
Hello House. So glad to have migrated to this place. Timeline is
AOR. APRIL 15
MEP. APRIL 21
ADR. MAY 16
ADR SUP MAY 19
PPR MAY 29
Please seniors apart from my driving license what else do I need to fasten my driving test in Alberta. I asked someone in FRSC about the abstract and she said they stopped giving. Please any information on this will be appreciated. Thanks all.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Yooku: 3:50am On Jun 22, 2018
solos007:
Thank you... just this small children certs oh smiley

Microsoft (MCTS,MCITP,MCSA,MCSE)
Cisco (CCNA:R&S,Security,Datacenter, CCNP:R&S,Security)
Comptia (Sercurity+,Linux+)
Citrix (CCA Xenapp)

then experience in Vsphere, ESXi, Citrix Netscaler, Pal-Alto, F5 BIG-IP LTM

I think I visited this thread after some months just in time to speak to you.....Don’t take the 65k!!! You are being lowballed big time cool shocked You have an impressive array of skills which should fetch you not less than 80k minimum. I have a similar profile though more focused on Cisco/Juniper with a CCIE RS to crown it and 2 weeks after landing I had an offer of 90-100k but declined due to some pertinent personal reasons. I currently have a contract with a telco which is worth about 70k which is “below market-rate” for my profile as the recruiter even admitted but I took it cos it fit with my plans for this year. Don’t get excited because you can get flustered when you realize quickly you have got a raw deal. Just go to Indeed.ca and see the plethora of jobs there. You are overskilled sha...I will take just your Cisco certs and tell you that you are worth at least 80k.... And you have experience with Vsphere, Netscaler, Palo Alto and F5 and you wanna take 65k? My advice to you...Look for a perm-role which will not offer less than 80k or get incorporated and get a contract for starters to build some Canadian experience for like 6 months and start looking for perm roles in the 90-110k range. It’s easier to leave a contract than a perm job.All you need is 1 or 2weeks notice and fewer HR hoops to jump through. Use LinkedIn...I’ve gotten tired of recruiters trying to romance me for roles all over and even in the US. You know you have arrived when the recruiters are literally begging you to let them place you in a role. Maybe we should take this offline if you wish but once again.....DONT TAKE THE 65k!!!!! Thank me for this advice later cool I hope I don’t get roasted for this but this is the realest I can get with you as a fellow IT professional. Cheers!!!

27 Likes 5 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (309) (310) (311) (312) (313) (314) (315) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.