Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,705 members, 7,816,889 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:32 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (366) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1984468 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (363) (364) (365) (366) (367) (368) (369) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by luffyhaki: 8:20pm On Sep 01, 2018
S4cannyland:
Hi all,

Been following from the sidelines. Thanks to all that has been contributing to the thread. I plan to write my experience too soon.

So PPR has fallen on us and we plan to land November.
I need all the help I can get as per coping with weather, foodstuff to carry etc. We'll be landing with our kids and I'm trying to make the move as seamless as possible for them

Thanks

Congratulations..Can see this is your first post with this moniker.Do you mind sharing your timelines in the sister thread?

Cheers

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by joo2018: 8:28pm On Sep 01, 2018
Achieve: Increase the capacity to deliver Albertan oil to the Pacific. More oil exports, more production, more jobs and income.
Against (Issues): Some First Nations (land rights and possible spillage), environmental activists (environmental degradation), leftists (hates oil) and the British Columbian government (campaign promise).
For: Oil companies, Alberta, Federal government (though some complain the support is inadequate).
Saintp:

What is this project expected to achieve? who is actually kicking against it? liberals or conservatives? Could you please explain the issues around this project, thanks

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 9:06pm On Sep 01, 2018
Ninichinny:
We plan to reside in Calgary when we get ppr.
With this development, make person begin check another province oo
There would still be jobs, but the economy won't be as buoyant as it used to be. The Alberta economy was already down for some years due to low oil price. The court's decision regarding the transmountain pipeline can be likened to kicking someone when they are down.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 9:12pm On Sep 01, 2018
Newbeecey:
Could you please provide further information about what you were told that made you feel comfortable you weren't been scammed?
I spoke to someone who explained it to me.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by S4cannyland(f): 9:31pm On Sep 01, 2018
luffyhaki:

Congratulations..Can see this is your first post with this moniker.Do you mind sharing your timelines in the sister thread?

Cheers

Thanks a lot. I have posted it
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ninichinny: 9:57pm On Sep 01, 2018
Okay, Thanks for always responding to our questions
salford1:

There would still be jobs, but the economy won't be as buoyant as it used to be. The Alberta economy was already down for some years due to low oil price. The court's decision regarding the transmountain pipeline can be likened to kicking someone when they are down.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by S4cannyland(f): 10:28pm On Sep 01, 2018
We plan to land in Vaughan. Is there anyone with information about getting kids into school or other integration programs?

Also any info about drop shipping. I am a Jumia Vendor here in Nigeria and I plan to continue the business(not with Jumia) with similar companies in Canada. I made research on Oberlo. Can anyone help with better info

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by katyamizotta: 10:36pm On Sep 01, 2018
Hello all. Leaving tomorrow for a three week soft landing.
I initially packed winter jackets for I and my son (as I heard that canada is a freezing country) but I checked the weather forecast for missisuaga, ontario for two weeks and i'm now second guessing.
Do I really need to bring those winter jackets along tomorrow?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 10:45pm On Sep 01, 2018
katyamizotta:
Hello all. Leaving tomorrow for a three week soft landing.
I initially packed winter jackets for I and my son (as I heard that canada is a freezing country) but I checked the weather forecast for missisuaga, ontario for two weeks and i'm now second guessing.
Do I really need to bring those winter jackets along tomorrow?

It is still warm in Southern Ontario
If you will be returning to Nigeria before November, there is no need for those winter Jackets.

The Freezing cold temperatures in southern Ontario are recorded between December and beginning of March

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 10:51pm On Sep 01, 2018
It's great weather today in the GTA, a nice start to the long weekend since we have Labor Day holiday on Monday.

Brampton Food Truck Festival is going on right now at Chinguacousy Park. A few pictures of the participants below smiley

22 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 10:54pm On Sep 01, 2018

14 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 10:55pm On Sep 01, 2018

16 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 10:55pm On Sep 01, 2018

16 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 10:56pm On Sep 01, 2018

16 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 10:56pm On Sep 01, 2018

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 10:57pm On Sep 01, 2018

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by newbie18: 10:57pm On Sep 01, 2018
S4cannyland:
We plan to land in Vaughan. Is there anyone with information about getting kids into school or other integration programs?

Also any info about drop shipping. I am a Jumia Vendor here in Nigeria and I plan to continue the business(not with Jumia) with similar companies in Canada. I made research on Oberlo. Can anyone help with better info

Thanks

Congratulations on your PPR.
I think in addition to the info on this thread, you should try and register for a pre-arrival session if you haven't done that.
You can register via http://www.planningforcanada.ca/
Cheers

4 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by S4cannyland(f): 11:05pm On Sep 01, 2018
newbie18:

Congratulations on your PPR.
I think in addition to the info on this thread, you should try and register for a pre-arrival session if you haven't done that.
You can register via http://www.planningforcanada.ca/
Cheers

Thanks for your response.
We have registered for that and its been quite helpful and we plan to attend the next session.

But I need info so i can start my business ASAP. There's isn't much info for business start-up

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ifywhyteman: 11:08pm On Sep 01, 2018
Please is there any Nigerian community group of Saskatchewan on WhatsApp platform? I really need to be added. Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Dizzy007(m): 12:09am On Sep 02, 2018
@GS and @blackbuddy, thanks for the enticing awesome pictures!!

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by taskcompleteng: 2:32am On Sep 02, 2018
Pls add me to the whatsapp group Zero7061960316.

rukaiya:

1. He doesn't have to wait until the PR card is ready unless he wants to. He can re-enter Canada by applying for the permanent resident travel document via VFS global. Someone in my WhatsApp also claimed the immigration officer he met during his landing told him his PR card could be shipped internationally if he wishes.

2. To avoid taxes, he should fill the goods to follow form.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 9:07am On Sep 02, 2018
joo2018:
Achieve: Increase the capacity to deliver Albertan oil to the Pacific. More oil exports, more production, more jobs and income.
Against (Issues): Some First Nations (land rights and possible spillage), environmental activists (environmental degradation), leftists (hates oil) and the British Columbian government (campaign promise).
For: Oil companies, Alberta, Federal government (though some complain the support is inadequate).

Its crazy! I don't get it. This same country relies heavily on oil for its energy needs, some of its industries' raw materials are products of oil, its cars arent 100% electric nor nuclear powered; dresses, cellphones and most of the stuff you could think of are produced from synthesized polymers that come from oil! So whats the fuss about?

Are they saying its okay to use oil and its products so long as the oil isnt canadian? The way I see it Alberta is being backstabbed. Spell out the standards and environmental regulations that must be adhered to, and be clear on the rules, that should be their focus. Until mankind finds an abundantly available and cleaner energy source that is just as versatile, Alberta should be allowed to do its oil business.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by nikkycool(f): 9:13am On Sep 02, 2018
Ifywhyteman:
Please is there any Nigerian community group of Saskatchewan on WhatsApp platform? I really need to be added. Thanks.
I will like to be added too with 08126093124.Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by joo2018: 10:48am On Sep 02, 2018
Alberta will agree with you.
The Left wants Canada to go green on energy and is quite uncomfortable with Canada's status as an oil exporting country. Trudeau seems caught between his natural inclinations and his duty to the economy.
einsteino:

Its crazy! I don't get it. This same country relies heavily on oil for its energy needs, some of its industries' raw materials are products of oil, its cars arent 100% electric nor nuclear powered; dresses, cellphones and most of the stuff you could think of are produced from synthesized polymers that come from oil! So whats the fuss about?

Are they saying its okay to use oil and its products so long as the oil isnt canadian? The way I see it Alberta is being backstabbed. Spell out the standards and environmental regulations that must be adhered to, and be clear on the rules, that should be their focus. Until mankind finds an abundantly available and cleaner energy source that is just as versatile, Alberta should be allowed to do its oil business.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Threemg: 12:17pm On Sep 02, 2018
@vcole, please ma'am check your inbox I've sent you several PMs, I need a personal clarification on one of your posts, sharing it here is not a challenge but because of its sensitivity. I'll be glad if you can respond ma. Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Jumdah20: 12:29pm On Sep 02, 2018
Thanks for sharing your landing gist @Hotd and for your experiences, God bless you. I wish you safe delivery and happiness in Canada.

[quote author=hotD post=70724933]

They have several like rogers,bell,freedom,koodo,telaus or so but the major ones are the rogers and bell.We tried getting the rogers and they requested for credit card,credit history and a canadian photo ID which we did not have,same requirements for bell so we had to pass.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Jumdah20: 12:41pm On Sep 02, 2018
Salaam Sis, have you registered for the pre arrival programs yet? You should. One of them has a food certification program, you write series of tests and you get a certificate at the end. Its good for bakers and people who want to work in the food industry.
Its called the Pre-Arrival Food Safety Management Training Program by FPHRC.

I'm sure you could also start baking from home first, understand your environment and decide what next.

My sister is in Milton, Ontario, she wears the hijab and she has never mentioned any harassments. She says there are quite a number of sisters wearing it wherever she goes.

There's an Islamic community, Oyinbo or Nigerian asalatus dey grin
quote author=voguemum post=70717334]

Thanks @Salford1 for taking your time to answer my questions. There's one more question I forgot to include, is it possible for a PR to start a baking business from home and what are the procedures?
Will the tax rate on such business be high and as such should the idea be scrapped?
[/quote]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ollylarry: 12:48pm On Sep 02, 2018
Can someone give details on the process in achieving this, cos am just following the group
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Beeea: 12:54pm On Sep 02, 2018
rainazoe:
Please is there any email or phone number to contact CIC about my PR card? I landed in May and responded to a passport resubmission request at the end of July. I believe I should have gotten it by now?

Have you checked ecas?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-status.html

Just choose PR card when asked to make selection

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by H2oo(m): 2:51pm On Sep 02, 2018
Congrats S4Cannyland, your story is very similar to mine in all respects (spouse's business, time and city of landing) except for your timeline which is slightly different.

May the land favor us all.

S4cannyland:
Hi all,

Been following from the sidelines. Thanks to all that has been contributing to the thread. I plan to write my experience too soon.

So PPR has fallen on us and we plan to land November.
I need all the help I can get as per coping with weather, foodstuff to carry etc. We'll be landing with our kids and I'm trying to make the move as seamless as possible for them

Thanks

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ethelia(f): 2:55pm On Sep 02, 2018
@hotD, thanks for the very detailed landing information grin I've enjoyed reading every single post. May the land favor you and yours, Amen
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newbeecey: 5:31pm On Sep 02, 2018
sorry i should have modified my previous post after i saw the various responses subsequent to your initial post. I understand the concept now
AZeD1:

I spoke to someone who explained it to me.

(1) (2) (3) ... (363) (364) (365) (366) (367) (368) (369) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.