Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,101 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:28 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (367) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1984744 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (364) (365) (366) (367) (368) (369) (370) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Jennypharb1: 5:57pm On Sep 02, 2018
ollylarry:
Can someone give details on the process in achieving this, cos am just following the group

Follow this other group https://www.nairaland.com/4657743/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled

And read from the first page
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newbeecey: 6:05pm On Sep 02, 2018
Hello Mrs Bee, did this trip finally happen and as a shortlanding? I am interested in how you managed to get ur PR cards back to naij, if you have done that already
MrsBee:
Good Day All,

We would be going to Ontario in March for short-landing. Please can you advise on how much we can achieve in 10 days. Apart from landing formalities, SIN, bank account opening, possibly write the DL test. I had a crazy idea of looking for a volunteer or job shadow opportunity for a week, but i think i am being overambitious.

We are also considering going across the border to Niagara falls/Bufallo NY during the weekend while we are there but my worry is how to return into Canada without a PR card.

Landed seniors , please help with your advise/suggestions.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Hereforthistoo: 7:03pm On Sep 02, 2018
Please check your email. @overcomer296
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mynaija123(m): 9:58pm On Sep 02, 2018
Please I am thinking of relocating from Nigeria to Canada for greener pastures. Can anyone help with the process.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sunvick(m): 10:24pm On Sep 02, 2018
Yes, I can help. How much can you pay?? (in $$$)

mynaija123:
Please I am thinking of relocating from Nigeria to Canada for greener pastures. Can anyone help with the process.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 10:24pm On Sep 02, 2018
GlitteringStar:
Ottawa, Ontario kiss

Goosebumps...Rideau Center grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 1Misha(f): 11:13pm On Sep 02, 2018
honey86:
I started my career in HR, but when I got to Canada I realised there is more opportunity in Accounting. So after I did my research I registered at a community college here in Winnipeg for a Diploma in Business Administration with a major in Accounting. By the grace of God i only have 4 months to complete it. Then i continue with my CPA Prep courses.

I'm writing this epistle because I have something I want to share for people who are interested in accounting. Seneca College Toronto have a one-year graduate certificate that covers all the CPA Prep requirements, whereas after my 2 years course I will still have to write 6 Prep courses. In essence, after one year you can move to PEP.
Here is the link to the course: http://www.senecacollege.ca/programs/fulltime/PRA.html

They also have a professional accountancy course that covers the first stage of the PEP; Core 1 and 2 and Elective 1 and 2, so you can start from capstone. http://www.senecacollege.ca/programs/fulltime/ACY.html.

I hope I have been able to help someone.

Hi Honey86, pls I will pm you to pick your brain on this post. Winnipeg is my first choice coz of family but the Seneca college sounds interesting because of all the prep courses gained. Thanks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by voguemum: 11:47pm On Sep 02, 2018
[quote author=Jumdah20 post=70833199]
Wa'alaikum salaam sis, thanks for the clarification on hijab and tip on pre arrival food program. I will definately check that out.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by voguemum: 11:55pm On Sep 02, 2018
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 12:12am On Sep 03, 2018
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by pmag22: 3:08am On Sep 03, 2018
Teoyube1:
Hi,
I'm just wondering how long it took you from AOR to PPR as you currently live in the UK. I reside in the UK as well on a tier 2 and got AOR in June.
Response will be appreciated

sorry for the late reply it took nearly 7 months
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by pmag22: 3:32am On Sep 03, 2018
Thank you very much dear vcole
quote author=vcole post=70212734]Hi everyone.

@pmag2018, i flew air canada from London to Calgary, service was really good. Westjet is usually cheapest from gatwick to major cities like Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary et al. It's a 8.5hr flight.

.[/quote]
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DatechMan(m): 6:51am On Sep 03, 2018
hotD:

Hmm,naija passport has been rejected on 2 occasion now infact d last time hubby held his temporary drivers liscense and the passport and the lady still insisted she needed a canadian ID,do we go back to challenge her?
Yea for the equifax i think it was asking me to pay and i wasn’t interested in that,i just needed something i could use to understand how the credit thing works and how to boost it.
Can u tell us some of the best practices,some of us feel somehow about credit(borrowing)its been conscious effort to use the credit cards and honestly for now the only thing i pay for is my phone bill,do i try to look for more ways to use the cards by force to build the credit history because anytime i pay my phone bill i wld go and check if it the score has increased.Please help me understand better
Best practice is to make sure you pay up all your credit balance before due date. Also make sure you don't use more than 60% of your credit limit.Try to stay within 50% and make sure to never miss payment before due date. If you can't pay everything, make sure you pay the minimum payment.

Thanks

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by awys: 9:34am On Sep 03, 2018
1Misha:

Hi Honey86, pls I will pm you to pick your brain on this post. Winnipeg is my first choice coz of family but the Seneca college sounds interesting because of all the prep courses gained. Thanks
Hi Misha plz I sent a PM through mail plz reply would like to confirm some stuffs which is personal thank you so much. I am interested in this program and would to get more details.Am currently in Naija.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by awys: 9:39am On Sep 03, 2018
honey86:
I started my career in HR, but when I got to Canada I realised there is more opportunity in Accounting. So after I did my research I registered at a community college here in Winnipeg for a Diploma in Business Administration with a major in Accounting. By the grace of God i only have 4 months to complete it. Then i continue with my CPA Prep courses.

I'm writing this epistle because I have something I want to share for people who are interested in accounting. Seneca College Toronto have a one-year graduate certificate that covers all the CPA Prep requirements, whereas after my 2 years course I will still have to write 6 Prep courses. In essence, after one year you can move to PEP.
Here is the link to the course: http://www.senecacollege.ca/programs/fulltime/PRA.html

They also have a professional accountancy course that covers the first stage of the PEP; Core 1 and 2 and Elective 1 and 2, so you can start from capstone. http://www.senecacollege.ca/programs/fulltime/ACY.html.

I hope I have been able to help someone.
Hi Honey86
I am interested in this program and would like to confirm some would PM you on this.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by S4cannyland(f): 10:07am On Sep 03, 2018
H2oo:
Congrats S4Cannyland, your story is very similar to mine in all respects (spouse's business, time and city of landing) except for your timeline which is slightly different.

May the land favor us all.

Thank you and congrats to you too. May the land favor us.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by cannybound: 10:42am On Sep 03, 2018
thanks
Asinkwa:
BHstripes, Bode Thomas, Surulere, Lagos.

[My question is this: where in Lagos Nigeria can I get a professional photographer that will take a photo of me in the required specifications?

(I will indeed appreciate input about tested and trusted photographers; have you used a photographer and was able to obtain a PR Card using the print out they made for you?)

Thank you all.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by smslive2: 10:54am On Sep 03, 2018
Have you checked Migration to Canada details here?
ollylarry:
Can someone give details on the process in achieving this, cos am just following the group

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by smslive2: 10:58am On Sep 03, 2018
You can check here for how to relocate from Nigeria to Canada for free
mynaija123:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by luffyhaki: 11:00am On Sep 03, 2018
smslive2:

lol...Linking since 1902 grin

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by smslive2: 11:25am On Sep 03, 2018
You know how we roll na... cheesy cheesy
luffyhaki:

lol...Linking since 1902 grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newbeecey: 11:41am On Sep 03, 2018
I was just wondering if your hubby is a PR or not?
Nogen:
Been miles away. Congrats to those who have landed in Cannyland and may the land favour us all.
I have been very busy with studies and homefront, my parents have gone back to Naija since July and hubby came in for his vacation. At the point of entry, his passport was stamped PR. He quickly informed them he is on a visit not a permenant resident. Funny experience.

You guys outside Quebec really pay so much on rent. I couldn't believe my eyes as I saw some comments on renting a 3 bedroom appartment between $1300 to $1700. While I pay for the same 3 bedroom here for $795 per month.

Success to us all in our endeavours.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 12:31pm On Sep 03, 2018
mynaija123:

2.Can I be able to declare for asylum with the visa?

what grounds do you have to seek asylum? who is after you? I am certain no one is, except it could be your village people.

Why don't you apply for Permanent Resident visa? Just do things the right way. All this koro way no be the best. A permanent residence visa would allow you to legally stay and work in Canada and even become a citizen in 3years. It is a straight forward process and something you can do by yourself.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mynaija123(m): 12:57pm On Sep 03, 2018
smslive2:

All this process are for people with jobs. I don't have a job presently and only have money saved from previous job.

Note my educational level is ssce. So how does this help me secure a skilled entry visa.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mynaija123(m): 1:00pm On Sep 03, 2018
einsteino:

what grounds do you have to seek asylum? who is after you? I am certain no one is, except it could be your village people.

Why don't you apply for Permanent Resident visa? Just do things the right way. All this koro way no be the best. A permanent residence visa would allow you to legally stay and work in Canada and even become a citizen in 3years. It is a straight forward process and something you can do by yourself.

How do one apply for a permanent resident visa.

All this process are for people with jobs. I don't have a job presently and only have money saved from previous job.

Note my educational level is ssce. So how does this help me secure a skilled entry visa.

Also am a trained cameraman
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by smslive2: 1:10pm On Sep 03, 2018
You can also look at the Federal Skilled Trades Program
mynaija123:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 2:03pm On Sep 03, 2018
mynaija123:

How do one apply for a permanent resident visa.

Also am a trained cameraman

I understand your plight. All hope is not lost, you may qualify to get a permanent resident visa through the Federal skilled trades. However, I am not so familiar with the process of federal skilled trades. You could ask folks on the [url="https://www.nairaland.com/4657743/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled/213"]canadian express entry thread[/url] for some help.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 2:53pm On Sep 03, 2018
Jumdah20:
have you registered for the pre arrival programs yet? You should. One of them has a food certification program, you write series of tests and you get a certificate at the end. Its good for bakers and people who want to work in the food industry.
Its called the Pre-Arrival Food Safety Management Training Program by FPHRC.

This program is ending by December. So get it while you can.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 3:33pm On Sep 03, 2018
mynaija123:

mynaija123:

1.How much will you take

3.Please note am no paying a dime until the visa is out

4. I will give you proof that I have your money

This is my number WhatsApp me 07033334384

In regard with the bolded, Yes, you can apply for asylum even with a visa. But as indicated by @ einsteino, is it a legitimate or bogus asylum claim? Please be advised that the asylum process used to be a walk in the park in the 90's but it has been getting more and more difficult ever since. You can still be denied asylum even with a case that has been found to be legitimate by the Refugee Board.

Your asylum application will land at the IRB (Immigration and Refugee Board) and you will be called for a hearing. During this hearing, you will face a panel or a board of 1 to 6 members who will cross-examine you. You will basically have to walk them through all the details of your life. Their goal will be to find any hole in your asylum claim. Sometimes, they will ask you the same question multiple time in different ways. And what you will tell them during the hearing shouldn't contradict anything in your visa application nor the refugee application. Your story should also be in alignment with the documentation that the government of Canada has with respect to life in Nigeria. IN addition to that, they will be examining your demeanor as you answer each question.

One of the challenges you will face at the Refugee board is called Internal Flight. This is a part where you have to convince the members of the Refugee Board why you choose to come to Canada instead of taking refuge in a different part of Nigeria. Nigeria is a country of 200 millions people, that means you could easily disapear in the crowd from the person who is after your life. Wasn't any part of Nigeria viable to you?

The hearing at the IRB can take anywhere from 2 hours to months and in some cases even years. So, imagine that your case has been denied and after that you have failed all the appeals process and then after that you end up by been asked to leave Canada 7 to 10 years after living here as an asylum seeker. What a waste of time.

In short, the asylum in Canada can be much more complicated than most of people would think. Even if you case is legitimate, you may still be denied refugee status on the ground that your case doesn't fit the definition of refugee as per the 1951 UN Refugee Convention.More disturbing is the fact that you may end up in a detention center.

Applying for asylum can be a very rough road to take.

The following link is a tragic story of Nigerian asylum seeker who get deported from Canada 13 years after living here. He died in the process of deportation:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/foreign-national-death-calgary-airport-cbsa-custody-1.4779213

20 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sunvick(m): 3:35pm On Sep 03, 2018
Can you pay me Sir I'm a Canadian Permanent Resident and I earn in $$$$.

BTW Skill trade is your best Bet. What skill do you have how many years of work experience in your train do you have.

Asylum is about the worst thing to do when you can easily get PR.

mynaija123:

1.How much will you take

3.Please note am no paying a dime until the visa is out

4. I will give you proof that I have your money

This is my number WhatsApp me 07033334384

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mynaija123(m): 4:24pm On Sep 03, 2018
sunvick:
Can you pay me Sir I'm a Canadian Permanent Resident and I earn in $$$$.

BTW Skill trade is your best Bet. What skill do you have how many years of work experience in your train do you have.

Asylum is about the worst thing to do when you can easily get PR.

Yes I can pay you
I am a trained cameraman and i have over 10 years of experience

(1) (2) (3) ... (364) (365) (366) (367) (368) (369) (370) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.