Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,111 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:10 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (403) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1985512 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (400) (401) (402) (403) (404) (405) (406) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ceemac: 2:42pm On Oct 12, 2018
TheCongo2:

Adding to that, it will affect her GPA. She may be an A student but end up with a C.

Like you already know that in this part of the world, the vast majority of employers do not really care about your grades.. Not even for college degrees. No class of degree is even written on certificates..

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ceemac: 2:44pm On Oct 12, 2018
TheCongo2:

Very true.
I was thinking under the same line as well.
With children there are always unpredictable expenses.
Not to forget birthdays. Each time a child is invited to a classmate's birthday, the child has to carry a gift for that classmate.

Lol... Under strict parental budget, for now, the child should be made to shred many of those frivolities.. If s/he must go, Let him go grab dollar gifts from Dollarama..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 2:53pm On Oct 12, 2018
ceemac:

That was the reason why I mentioned that she should save her money she propose to buying a car with and channel it to first settling down and getting acclimatized....

My brother aby na sister cheesy, buying a car is not a luxury here, it is a NECESSITY (especially for families with kids).

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 2:55pm On Oct 12, 2018
ceemac:

Like you already know that in this part of the world, the vast majority of employers do not really care about your grades.. Not even for college degrees. No class of degree is even written on certificates..

This ya post though......Remember that anything worth doing is worth doing well. smiley

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 2:57pm On Oct 12, 2018
ceemac:

You may learn a subject just for the sake of getting a passing grade and Then forget all after the test or you may learn something to be an expert in the subject.
And the difference will be revealed during the job interview
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ceemac: 3:01pm On Oct 12, 2018
TheCongo2:

You may learn a subject just for the sake of getting a passing grade and Then forget all after the test or you may learn something to be an expert in the subject.
And the difference will be revealed during the job interview

You can actually be an expert in a needed and required area without translating into an excellent academic grade on the overall...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ceemac: 3:05pm On Oct 12, 2018
GlitteringStar:

This ya post though......Remember that anything worth doing is worth doing well. smiley

I do agree in its entirety.. An average performance and applicable knowledge is better than shredding the plan in its entirety because of the fever of wanting to doing all greatly... Half bread is better than none remember?.. If she does not take the course as proposed since it is her heart desire, I am scared she may just gonna be stuck with some kind of minimum wage job for a very long time... My fear exactly!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ceemac: 3:11pm On Oct 12, 2018
GlitteringStar:

My brother aby na sister cheesy, buying a car is not a luxury here, it is a NECESSITY (especially for families with kids).

While I agree it is a necessity, It can also be a nerve wrecking burden if the proper calculations are not factored in.. If you live in cities where the transit systems are near reliable, you may do without a car for the short stint, It will all serve as sacrifices for the greater dream.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 3:19pm On Oct 12, 2018
ceemac:

You can actually be an expert in a needed and required area without translating into an excellent academic grade on the overall...

Correct...
Then again, what's the point of attending a tertiary institution?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 3:27pm On Oct 12, 2018
ceemac:

..... If you live in cities where the transit systems are near reliable, you may do without a car for the short stint,

Even for families with kids? Going for shopping with your kids and carrying your bags + your kids in a public transport will not be so easy.....Waiting for bus during winter with your kids? Waiting for like 20-30 minutes in the cold?.... Biko, buying a car is a necessity for families with kids here.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ceemac: 3:28pm On Oct 12, 2018
TheCongo2:

Correct...
Then again, what's the point of attending a tertiary institution?

Gaining required skills and knowledge that can be transferred into solving problems in the real world within the confine of the focused discipline, There are good grade students that really cannot transfer those grades into workable realities.

At the end, it is all about what you can do to solve problems for your employer and not what those grades in the school are..

I am in support of excellent grades, so you do not get me wrong.. But at last, it is not all sufficient in itself
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 3:31pm On Oct 12, 2018
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ceemac: 3:36pm On Oct 12, 2018
GlitteringStar:

Even for families with kids? Going for shopping with your kids and carrying your bags + your kids in a public transport will not be so easy.....Waiting for bus during winter with your kids? Waiting for like 20-30 minutes in the cold?.... Biko, buying a car is a necessity for families with kids here.

why wait for 20-30 minutes for bus in cites that have reliable transportation coupled with the fact that the real time schedule of these buses are on google.. I do agree they seldom have glitches not to the extent of 20mins mbok..

The Finch 36 bus in Toronto comes every 6 mins max.. And some other buses are in that range of 7-10mins during the day... I have seen families of over 4 using the bus comfortably and yeah, the person in question has a child of 7 years which is not too young, young mums uses strollers for even way lesser kids in Winter... So what exactly is a sacrifice if it is not for some future gains?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 3:44pm On Oct 12, 2018
ceemac:

why wait for 20-30 minutes for bus in cites that have reliable transportation coupled with the fact that the real time schedule of these buses are on google.. I do agree they seldom have glitches not to the extent of 20mins mbok..

Even during winter? Some buses here do come late and I heard they will be worse during winter. My point is if one (especially those with kids) can afford buying a car here, the person should go for it. It is a necessity and not a luxury.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 3:45pm On Oct 12, 2018
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 3:46pm On Oct 12, 2018
GlitteringStar:

This ya post though...... Remember that anything worth doing is worth doing well . smiley

Merci beaucoup
I couldn't find any better way of saying it than this

I am afraid ceemac is suggesting a mediocre life where people have the option of going for the best

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 3:55pm On Oct 12, 2018
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Shokoloko(f): 4:01pm On Oct 12, 2018
ceemac:

That was the reason why I mentioned that she should save her money she propose to buying a car with and channel it to first settling down and getting acclimatized, she may just find a way around it. In the long run, the sacrifice will pay off.. Those minimum wage paying jobs just kinda stick to peoples destiny after doing it for a long while... My dread exactly

With the information here I won't be stuck on minimum wage for long. I might even land something better if I decide to continue with my field in banking services. I am arming myself against the worst case scenario.
I am already learning some of the courses in the program I plan to go to school for (web development) online,but I have no experience or certificate so studying will not be really difficult, I hope.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 4:07pm On Oct 12, 2018
Shokoloko:

With the information here I won't be stuck on minimum wage for long. I might even land something better if I decide to continue with my field in banking services. I am arming myself against the worst case scenario.
I am already learning some of the courses in the program I plan to go to school for (web development) online,but I have no experience or certificate so studying will not be really difficult, I hope.

If you are planning to go to school, just apply for the Student Assistance Program of your province of residence.
Don't even waste your time with a minimum wage job. Usually the student assistance program will give you enough for your school fees and living expenses. Leave the minimum wage jobs to people with no skills

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ceemac: 4:09pm On Oct 12, 2018
TheCongo2:

Merci beaucoup
I couldn't find any better way of saying it than this

I am afraid Bleep is suggesting a mediocre life where people have the option of going for the best

Please, kindly do well to remove my moniker from that post, I am no associate to mediocrity, that is the whole reason I am in support of her education proposal.. I believe indeed everything worth doing is worth doing well, If her mind can conceive it, if she is convinced about it, she will sure achieve it by doing it well...

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 4:09pm On Oct 12, 2018
Shokoloko:

I cannot claim to know anything about web development but at times, school may not be the best option to learn. It may just be that a certification really is what you need and a few $15 courses bought on Udemy and then going ahead to sit a certification exam may end up being the same as going to school full time to get the same certificate. Like I said, I do not know about web development but thought to share feasible alternatives. This is however only feasible to you if your school fees are still refundable.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ceemac: 4:12pm On Oct 12, 2018
TheCongo2:

If you are planning to go to school, just apply for the Student Assistance Program of your province of residence.
Don't even waste your time with a minimum wage job. Usually the student assistance program will give you enough for your school fees and living expenses. Leave the minimum wage jobs to the refugees and others people with no academic background

That is another angle to it, while the loan is an option, it is not one that appeals to all. That is why we are all here with diverse suggestions so that she can choose the one that best suite her.

I treated minimum wage as an option since it was on that, rested her primary question.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 4:18pm On Oct 12, 2018
ceemac:

That is another angle to it, while the loan is an option, it is not one that appeals to all. That is why we are all here with diverse suggestions so that she can choose the one that best suite her.

I treated minimum wage as an option since it was on that, rested her primary question.

There is also a grant part to the Student assistance program that can run in a range of 10 to 20k per year for a new immigrant.
It is not all about loan

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 4:19pm On Oct 12, 2018
Bsbabe:

..... school may not be the best option to learn. It may just be that a certification really is what you need

I concur.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 4:22pm On Oct 12, 2018
ceemac:

I got one and I ticked the "No Loan option". You can collect the grants only.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 4:22pm On Oct 12, 2018
ceemac:

Please, kindly do well to remove my moniker from that post, I am no associate to mediocrity, that is the whole reason I am in support of her education proposal.. I believe indeed everything worth doing is worth doing well, If her mind can conceive it, if she is convinced about it, she will sure achieve it by doing it well...

I never said you are mediocre. Please don't get me wrong bro. I don't know anything about you to come to that conclusion.
What I am saying is that the steps you are suggesting will lead to a life of hardship that may end in mediocrity where a person could have excelled
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 4:24pm On Oct 12, 2018

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ceemac: 4:24pm On Oct 12, 2018
GlitteringStar:

Even during winter? Some buses here do come late and I heard they will be worse during winter. My point is if one (especially those with kids) can afford buying a car here, the person should go for it. It is a necessity and not a luxury.

I sincerely do envy your background Ms. Indeed not all fingers are equal and not all circumstances are the same. I normally suggest to people to live in peace with themselves within the confine of their income.. While I totally agree that car is a necessity and not a luxury, there are conditions attached..

A quick one, I know of many people that work downtown Toronto and will rather commute to work by trains or bus because considering the many other factors such as the traffic and most importantly the amount accrued monthly for parking, making some of them that own cars left with the weekends to drive to wherever and for whatever. It then depends on the individual if they are still willing to pay for so much on monthly insurance when they have just 8 days in the month to drive (Saturdays and Sundays) or they just rather take an alternative..

Our cases are all relative and there is no one fits all solution here.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 4:27pm On Oct 12, 2018
GlitteringStar:

I got one and I ticked the "No Loan option". You can collect the grants only.
Unfortunately, found out about that option too late when I applied for mine. By the time I ticked it, they had disbursed the first payment and it was going to apply only from the next one. Now, even though I have sent the entire payment deposited into my account back (loan + grant), they are conveniently treating what they paid to the school as part of the loan amount (not grant) and charging interest on it until the school completes its process and sends the funds back.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ceemac: 4:31pm On Oct 12, 2018
TheCongo2:

I never said you are mediocre. Please don't get me wrong bro. I don't know anything about you to come to that conclusion.
What I am saying is that the steps you are suggesting will lead to a life of hardship that may end in mediocrity where a person could have excelled

Irrespective, can you kindly remove my moniker from that post please..

Its all looking good because it is a case of an immigrant here with several options, I know several people that came as international students' with limited options that had to 'codedly' pull the full time job on the side while schooling, It was no where near easy but today they look back and are thankful they did... While some others gave up studentship and went for some other routes if you know what I mean..

It is all different strokes for different folks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 4:35pm On Oct 12, 2018
Bsbabe:

I cannot claim to know anything about web development but at times, school may not be the best option to learn. It may just be that a certification really is what you need and a few $15 courses bought on Udemy and then going ahead to sit a certification exam may end up being the same as going to school full time to get the same certificate. Like I said, I do not know about web development but thought to share feasible alternatives. This is however only feasible to you if your school fees are still refundable.
For web development, you don't need a certificate, you just need to show you can do the job. As for tutorials, there's a ton of free ones on youtube.

Although I do believe some people study better in a formal environment.

You can start here https://www.freecodecamp.org/

14 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 4:36pm On Oct 12, 2018
ceemac:

Irrespective, can you kindly remove my moniker from that post please..

Its all looking good because it is a case of an immigrant here with several options, I know several people that came as international students' with limited options that had to 'codedly' pull the full time job on the side while schooling, It was no where near easy but today they look back and are thankful they did... While some others gave up studentship and went for some other routes if you know what I mean..

It is all different strokes for different folks

Here we are talking about a permanent resident who has the option not to work full time but to focus on school and family. International students may not have that option.
If I can pay a plane ticket to fly to Europe. Why on earth am I going to use a man made wooden boat?

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (400) (401) (402) (403) (404) (405) (406) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.