Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,311 members, 7,811,923 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:48 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (404) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1981451 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (401) (402) (403) (404) (405) (406) (407) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ceemac: 4:37pm On Oct 12, 2018
CAVEAT

No matter the means of funding that Ms. Shokoloko is looking at, Let me be clear about my stand that I totally support her passion as to getting an education whether in class or online to pursuing her passion

Whether through loans or grants as suggested or through managing herself through the minimum wage job in the interim as asked about..

Above all, my own is pay all the sacrifices required in the interim to achieving your set academic goal and live happily thereafter.

I think with this, I am done this topic

#Peace out

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 4:39pm On Oct 12, 2018
Bsbabe:

Unfortunately, found out about that option too late when I applied for mine. By the time I ticked it, they had disbursed the first payment and it was going to apply only from the next one. Now, even though I have sent the entire payment deposited into my account back (loan + grant), they are conveniently treating what they paid to the school as part of the loan amount (not grant) and charging interest on it until the school completes its process and sends the funds back.

Aww...so sorry about that.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ceemac: 4:42pm On Oct 12, 2018
TheCongo2:

Here we are talking about a permanent resident with the option not to work full time but to focus on school and family. International students may not have that option.
If I can pay a plane ticket to fly to Europe. Why on earth am I going to use a man made wooden boat?

Can you just do me a favour Sir/Ma by removing my moniker from the said 'mediocrity' post as hinted? Thanks for your cooperation
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford: 4:47pm On Oct 12, 2018
ceemac:

That was the reason why I mentioned that she should save her money she propose to buying a car with and channel it to first settling down and getting acclimatized, she may just find a way around it. In the long run, the sacrifice will pay off.. Those minimum wage paying jobs just kinda stick to peoples destiny after doing it for a long while... My dread exactly
It stuck becuase alot of Nigerians start taking on debt while working minimum wage jobs. They need to show off that financed Nissan Infinity or Toyota highlander at the next parapo meeting. Some take up mortgages on survival wage jobs. So they keep working so as to meet their financial obligations to the lender.
Those that are focused work the same minimum wage jobs and go on to better their life.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 4:50pm On Oct 12, 2018

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Boss13: 4:57pm On Oct 12, 2018
Today’s weather is strange
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 4:59pm On Oct 12, 2018
ceemac:

Can you just do me a favour Sir/Ma by removing my moniker from the said 'mediocrity' post as hinted? Thanks for your cooperation

OMG... am I dealing with a bully now?
Sorry sir/Ma , I can't remove it.
I can't be bullied
You have the option to ignore my post

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 5:00pm On Oct 12, 2018
TheCongo2:

I can't be bullied
LOL!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 5:03pm On Oct 12, 2018
AZeD1:

LOL!!!

Lol... n'es ce pas mon ami AZeD1
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ceemac: 5:20pm On Oct 12, 2018
TheCongo2:

I can't be bullied

If there is any bully here, you sure are the one! My request posts showed civility and appeals.

I responded to issues head on without calling out names apart from the OP which was necessary I did as a pointer to her..

Only for you to mention my moniker in some negative statements which I have appealed on two occasions for you to take down with no intentional action to doing so..

Who then is the bully? Repeat the question solemnly to yourself and let your mind give you a sincere answer..

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford: 5:21pm On Oct 12, 2018
ceemac:

Like you already know that in this part of the world, the vast majority of employers do not really care about your grades.. Not even for college degrees. No class of degree is even written on certificates..
Not totally correct.
When interviewing candidates at my work place and there is a tie in candidates performance, we would default to the candidate with the higher grade. I am sure other government departments in my province does same too.
When we take on Co-op students too, we usually try as much as possible to pick the ones with the highest academic averages, aslong as there are no staff kids competing for the same coop positions. Alot of oil companies in Alberta also ask for transcripts when submitting applications for jobs.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Riddler32: 5:35pm On Oct 12, 2018
Fsw (single applicant)

Aor 21st April
Med passed and IP1 - 26th April
Correspondence letter - 4th Sept
IP2 and passport request letter - 12 Oct.

London office (according to notes recieved on August 16th)

Asked to send my passport to Islamabad, Pakistan. What is the connection?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Riddler32: 5:40pm On Oct 12, 2018
I currently reside in Nigeria oh!!!
Riddler32:
Fsw (single applicant)

Aor 21st April

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Tojued: 5:47pm On Oct 12, 2018
Riddler32:
Fsw (single applicant)

Aor 21st April

Someone in kiev doesn't know their geography. Or human error. Contact London, kiev and main IRCC by mail requesting for another VAC.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 5:47pm On Oct 12, 2018
Shokoloko:

With the information here I won't be stuck on minimum wage for long. I might even land something better if I decide to continue with my field in banking services. I am arming myself against the worst case scenario.
I am already learning some of the courses in the program I plan to go to school for (web development) online,but I have no experience or certificate so studying will not be really difficult, I hope.

I feel you're trying to run before learning how to walk. As a result, you're bound to make some mistake. I'm trying to figure out why you're in a rush to enter school so quickly ? You're a PR or will be. I'd enter the country, stay in your AnB until you secure a place in peel region. Register your child in school while you get a job. ANY JOB. Even if na McDonalds. Then sit down, conduct your research on what benefits you're entitled too, then make a game plan. Boss 13 said : "In Canada, more Particularly Ontario - you need to ask. If you don’t ask, nobody would direct you." That was my biggest mistake back in the days. Not doing my full research to know what was available to me, to make my life easier. Just some benefits:

1. Mature students like yourself may be available for free school

https://www.moneysense.ca/news/new-osap-rules/

2. Your child will have their medical and now prescription drugs covered by the Ontario government. So you know their medication treatment/ needs is fully covered while you get yourself together.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/medications-now-free-for-anyone-under-25-in-ontario-1.3742407

3. As low income (depending on your salary) you may be eligible for subsidized housing. Meaning you pay rent according to your income to help with the financial burden of housing.

https://www.peelregion.ca/housing/apply-for-subsidy/

4. If you're low income, your child's dental care would be covered by peel region (you region you'll be living in). OHIP will cover eye care, and peel region should cover whatever OHIP doesn't.

https://www.peelregion.ca/health/dental-health/fin-help4kids.htm

https://www.optom.on.ca/OAO/Patients/Medical_Coverage/OAO/Patients/Medical_Coverage.aspx

As a low income your child would be able to register for sports for free. On top of all these benefits, you'll be getting money every month from the government, would get a tax break claiming your child on your taxes, etc. I would cool down. Spend a year working while researching all these benefits, then make a comprehensive plan that would benefit you and your child not only for today, but for the future. You and your child are assets here, aka future tax payers. The government will never let your needs go unmet. I've met single mothers in medical school surviving and being successful in school. You're situation is not even that serious.

my 2 cents

72 Likes 30 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dustydee: 5:58pm On Oct 12, 2018
TheCongo2:

Merci beaucoup
I couldn't find any better way of saying it than this

I am afraid ceemac is suggesting a mediocre life where people have the option of going for the best
wink
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Riddler32: 6:01pm On Oct 12, 2018
Thanks for the suggestion.

Tojued:

Someone in kiev doesn't know their geography. Or human error. Contact London, kiev and main IRCC by mail requesting for another VAC.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ceemac: 6:05pm On Oct 12, 2018
salford:

Not totally correct
When interviewing candidates at my work place and there is a tie in candidates performance, we would default to the candidate with the higher grade. I am sure other government departments in my province does same too.
When we take on Co-op students too, we usually try as much as possible to pick the ones with the highest academic averages, aslong as there are no staff kids competing for the same coop positions. Alot of oil companies in Alberta also ask for transcripts when submitting applications for jobs.

Not wrong either
We are saying one of the same.. While I agree that most coop positions considers grades, I am also in the know that some organizations require transcripts on application for mostly Graduate Entry level jobs..I intentionally made mention of 'vast majority' and not 'all'. Most IT jobs which is like the largest employer of labour will only require how proficient you are with their various software platforms and the related skills and certifications you can use to back those up and not necessarily institution grades.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford: 6:18pm On Oct 12, 2018
ceemac:

We are saying one of the same.. While I agree that most coop positions considers grades, I am also in the know that some organizations require transcripts on application for mostly Graduate Entry level jobs..I intentionally made mention of 'vast majority' and not 'all'. Most IT jobs which is like the largest employer of labour will only require how proficient you are with their various software platforms and the related skills and certifications you can use to back those up and not necessarily institution grades.
I see where you are coming from. I guess recruitment procedures in the IT field differs from non- IT. Since IT openings often relies on certifications which do not carry grades.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 6:28pm On Oct 12, 2018
salford:

I see where you are coming from. I guess recruitment procedures in the IT field differs from non- IT. Since IT openings often relies on certifications your knowledge (software engineering / Web development) which do not carry grades.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Riddler32: 6:30pm On Oct 12, 2018
Please can i have email addresses to the offices you listed. Thanks.

Tojued:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Tojued: 6:34pm On Oct 12, 2018
Riddler32:
Please can i have email addresses to the offices you listed. Thanks.

Kiev: Kyivimmigration@international.gc.ca

I'm tempted to insist you share a proper PPR testimony on the sister thread before I give you the remaining two. It's not fair o, you just dropped only timeline?

What's your ielts story... Your eca story... The emotional journey etc... What can we learn from you?

Anyway, just because of God [s]and before you find the addresses yourself [/s]:

Accra: accra.immigration@international.gc.ca
Ottawa: CPC-CTD-Ottawa@cic.gc.ca

24 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford: 6:35pm On Oct 12, 2018
quote author=AZeD1 post=72026076][/quote]
Your field is a bit confusing. If IT relies on knowledge, why do Google, Amazon, Facebook, Microsoft e.t.c scout for high flying graduates from top universities in the US?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 6:39pm On Oct 12, 2018
salford:
quote author=AZeD1 post=72026076]
Your field is a bit confusing. If IT relies on knowledge, why do Google, Amazon, Facebook e.t.c scout for high flying graduates from top universities in the US?

When companies go on different campuses, they go for the best students

Even Universities recruite or keep their best students as lecturers

So there is no such thing as grades are irrelevant

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 6:51pm On Oct 12, 2018
TheCongo2:

When companies go on different campuses, they go for the best students

Even Universities recruite or keep their best students as lecturers

So there is no such thing as grades are irrelevant

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-google-hires-people-2013-6

That was published in 2013 and the summary is Google found out that GPA is completely useless when it comes to hiring.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 6:58pm On Oct 12, 2018
salford:
quote author=AZeD1 post=72026076]
Your field is a bit confusing. If IT relies on knowledge, why do Google, Amazon, Facebook, Microsoft e.t.c scout for high flying graduates from top universities in the US?

I have been contacted 3 times this year by Amazon recruiters for jobs in Seattle and I have no degree from any US universities.
The reason why nobody cares about GPA anymore is because there are lots of people in those firms(Big 4) who are self taught developers with either high school diploma's or totally irrelevant degrees and they've realized that using GPA to recruit means they are missing out on a lot of talented developers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJZCUhxNCv8&feature=youtu.be

Summary of the video

This guy is in UBC Computer Science. He says his GPA is 2.3, he's been on academic probation for the past four years, failed two programming courses and that he wasn't accepted to Co-Op because of his grades. Yet, he's worked at NVIDIA, Amazon, and Facebook and he is going back to Amazon for full time.

The hardest part of getting a job in Tech (software development ) is getting an interview because a lot of companies like to recruit via referrals.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Riddler32: 7:05pm On Oct 12, 2018
Thanks. I will share all the moments, right now i am at cross road with this Islamabad, Pakistan ish. Need to sort this out before my passport will enter voicemail

Tojued:

Kiev: Kyivimmigration@international.gc.ca

I'm tempted to insist you share a proper PPR testimony on the sister thread before I give you the remaining two. It's not fair o, you just dropped only timeline?

What's your ielts story... Your eca story... The emotional journey etc... What can we learn from you?

Anyway, just because of God [s]and before you find the addresses yourself [/s]:

Accra: accra.immigration@international.gc.ca
Ottawa: CPC-CTD-Ottawa@cic.gc.ca
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford: 7:11pm On Oct 12, 2018
AZeD1:

I have been contacted 3 times this year by Amazon recruiters for jobs in Seattle and I have no degree from any US universities.
The reason why nobody cares about GPA anymore is because there are lots of people in those firms(Big 4) who are self taught developers with either high school diploma's or totally irrelevant degrees and they've realized that using GPA to recruit means they are missing out on a lot of talented developers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJZCUhxNCv8&feature=youtu.be

Summary of the video

This guy is in UBC Computer Science. He says his GPA is 2.3, he's been on academic probation for the past four years, failed two programming courses and that he wasn't accepted to Co-Op because of his grades. Yet, he's worked at NVIDIA, Amazon, and Facebook and he is going back to Amazon for full time.

The hardest part of getting a job in Tech (software development ) is getting an interview because a lot of companies like to recruit via referrals.
Interesting This is an eye opener. Seems some of these companies are using a radical approach to recruitment by sourcing for "talents" instead of using the traditional academic qualifications approach to bring people in for interviews.
Let say he goes back to Amazon or drops out of Uni. Would not having a degree or having a mediocre one have an effect on his remuneration and promotion when compared to say a colleague recruited at the same time, but has say a computer science or software engineering degree from Caltech or other renowned institution?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 7:14pm On Oct 12, 2018
Point to note as regarding Tech jobs:

Going to top schools helps because this companies actually have recruiting events in this tops schools so there's a higher chance of a human being going through your resume.

Don't ever, ever use the word "certified" your resume. It's far and away one of the most prominent red flags in resume screening, bordering on a dead-giveaway round-file 86-that-bad-boy no-review-required situation, if you know what I mean. (If you don't know what I mean, well, you know the old saying about not knowing who the sucker is at the poker table.)

Certification is for the weak. It's something that flags you as a technician when you really want to be an engineer. If you want to be a television repairman, you can become certified in TV repair. If you want to work for Sony and design their next big-screen TV, then you clearly don't need a busy-working-adults course on how to repair the fugging things.

Same goes for tech certification. It means you had to take a course to learn something you could have read in a book. If you know something, just say you know it, and then be prepared to answer questions about it during your phone screens and/or interviews. If you feel compelled to add that you're certified in said skill, it's just broadcasting that you lack confidence in your own self-assessments, which doesn't help you in the slightest.

Seriously. Take all mentions of certifications off your tech resume. It's actively hurting your chances of getting an interview.

Culled from http://steve-yegge..com/2007/09/

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 7:17pm On Oct 12, 2018
salford:

Interesting This is an eye opener. Seems some of these companies are using a radical approach to recruitment by sourcing for "talents" instead of using the traditional academic qualifications approach to bring people in for interviews.
Yep. The whole MIT computer science curriculum (lectures, reading list, et al) is online so anybody in the world can actually have an MIT education without the certificate so why restrict your talent search to a limited pool?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford: 7:18pm On Oct 12, 2018
AZeD1:
Point to note as regarding Tech jobs:

Going to top schools helps because this companies actually have recruiting events in this tops schools so there's a higher chance of a human being going through your resume.

Culled from http://steve-yegge..com/2007/09/
One more question.

Let say he goes back to Amazon or drops out of Uni. Would not having a degree or having a mediocre one have an effect on his remuneration and promotion when compared to say a colleague recruited at the same time, but has say a computer science or software engineering degree from Caltech or other renowned institution?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 7:20pm On Oct 12, 2018
salford:

As for the bold, the answer is NO. When it comes to promotion, your work along with company politics will speak for you.
Company politics along the lines of working in high impact projects, your rapport with your manager and the likes. From my experience working in Tech, your degree is only good for your self confidence and bragging rights.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (401) (402) (403) (404) (405) (406) (407) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.