Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:09 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (443) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1980216 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (440) (441) (442) (443) (444) (445) (446) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Jesuba: 6:13pm On Nov 22, 2018
Thanks. Can I pm you
Bsbabe:

Yes, you can choose a different school from your designated school. I did that and all it took was to fill a form for boundary exemption but note that you will be responsible for getting your child to and from school as he/she won't be eligible for busing, except in cases where the boundary exemption is program related - e.g. you want an International Baccalaureate program for your child and the school offering it is out of your boundary.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford: 6:18pm On Nov 22, 2018
jydexaus:
Note that it is not automatic that you will be given US visa as a permanent resident. You will still be subjected to the same questioning process like we used to experience back in naija. What is certain is that if your visa is approved you will be given 10 years.
There have been discussions some pages back about PRs that were refused visas and Citizens refused entry to the US.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford: 6:21pm On Nov 22, 2018
Snappyfingaz:

I am guessing you're in Alberta?

What you can do is keep a clean driving record as you go forward and also get your home premium on the same plan for a discount.
Alternatively (this one is funny), you can move to Saskatchewan. Auto insurance is subsidized by the Govt. of Saskatchewan and is pretty cheap compared to other provinces. Same car you have right now might get you a monthly insurance of between $100 - $140 in SK.
The Sask advantage. Sask also has one of the cheapest phone and data plans in the country. Beer is one of the most expensive in the country though (for the alchoholics).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:07pm On Nov 22, 2018
Is computer engineering(repairing hardware) a good skill to take to Canada /USA?
Can I get good job with such skill?
Pls don't blast, I want to learn several skills because I plan to migrate someday.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ambidextrause: 7:30pm On Nov 22, 2018
Same with UK visa? Is it as straightforward as that of US, based on someone's PR status?

If not for the travel cost from Canada to the UK, I would have applied as well. grin grin grin
I got the US Visa with 10 years validity as you correctly mentioned.

Boss13:

You won’t be rejected because you are a potential Canadian PR holder. However, they will give you only 2 years. On the other hand, if you land, you get 10 years US Visa.

Same with UK visa. If you apply from Nigeria, they will give you only 6 months.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:31pm On Nov 22, 2018
salford:

The Sask advantage. Sask also has one of the cheapest phone and data plans in the country. Beer is one of the most expensive in the country though (for the alchoholics).

Yeah. But for beer, I dont really see any difference personally oh. I usually dont go for price, I go for percentage. Most of the strong beers are usually on the cheap side compared to those water them de sell as beer.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:40pm On Nov 22, 2018
Bsbabe:

Any successful visa application will get 10 years. Note the successful though as I know of students who have been refused. I renewed my U.S. visa in Toronto in April and I saw a Nigerian student refused as well as another lady who was told to come back after she has established a 'better work history' (I don't know her nationality but I believe she schooled here and she is currently on a work permit).

A student will only get 2years.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 8:08pm On Nov 22, 2018
salford:

There have been discussions some pages back about PRs that were refused visas and Citizens refused entry to the US.
What about Canadians? Me no want American interviews any more.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by eclectic139(f): 8:16pm On Nov 22, 2018
Newmum0615:
They gave you PTA on a one-way ticket?
Yep. (now u are making me doubt my own experience lol!...but I'm pretty sure I had a one way ticket) I made sure I went in to ask a few months before I had to leave. I had an access Bank account as well. Submitted passport, and visa etc. GTB refused, but Access Bank gave me.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford: 8:27pm On Nov 22, 2018
ontarioissauga:

What about Canadians? Me no want American interviews any more.
Lol. No one likes going to attend an interview for visas. It's uncommon to be turned back as a Canadian, but it does happens once in a while. I don't personally know of anyone that has been turned back except the ones I see in the news like the guy that confessed to have smoked weed in the past or the lady that was going to sell her weaves. Americans do get turned back too.

People living close to borders often travel to shop e.g Some of my work colleagues are currently on their way to Minot for shopping (black friday deals)..Its just about 3hrs drive away from where I work.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by eclectic139(f): 8:28pm On Nov 22, 2018
Merovingian:

My exact confusion, PTA not available to one way ticket
I gave them my Visa and specifically told them it was immigration, they took my ticket and I got my PTA the same day I applied. undecided. That's why I was specific the month I got it.. incase things have changed. there is no harm in trying. I got at the branch on that Zenith bank road in V.I. near Pal Pensions.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 8:32pm On Nov 22, 2018
I am just surprised. That's all. The two banks I approached told me No, GTbank inclusive. I'll try another bank.
eclectic139:

Yep. (now u are making me doubt my own experience lol!...but I'm pretty sure I had a one way ticket) I made sure I went in to ask a few months before I had to leave. I had an access Bank account as well. Submitted passport, and visa etc. GTB refused, but Access Bank gave me.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by eclectic139(f): 8:37pm On Nov 22, 2018
Fadia:
You were able to get PTA with a one way ticket? I thought they only gave PTA for return tickets?
Yep.. One way Ethiopian airways ticket, plus immigrant visa.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Eddy4400: 8:38pm On Nov 22, 2018
Thanks very much for replying @Boss13 @maternal @jydexaus @Bsbabe

Kai...I wish I consulted u guys before. Already paid for dropbox renewal (57k), but didnt go ahead to book an appointment when I discovered an interview was required (due to diff locations).

So pls last question...if i land before my payment fee expires (Sept 2019), can I use this to book an appointment in Canada or i shd kukuma forget the 57k and start afresh?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Eddy4400: 8:43pm On Nov 22, 2018
cry cry cry
So you're leaving already? Pls carry me in your hand luggage

Newmum0615:
Good morning my people,

For our landed brethren who cargoed stuff, please do you know where I can buy cartons in Lagos. I need them to pack my wall pictures and books.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by eclectic139(f): 8:44pm On Nov 22, 2018
Newmum0615:
I am just surprised. That's all. The two banks I approached told me No, GTbank inclusive. I'll try another bank.
Yeah GTB refused. said its only school n co they give. I was surprised when Access agreed and was still prepared to be rejected when the Customer Service lady went up stairs to confirm with my documents. But she came down n asked me to come back a few a hours later. I got the debit at work n went back to pick it up. Try the branch I used.. Its the branch near Pal Pensions on that Zenith bank road in V.I after GTB if you are going towards Dominos or that VCP (not sure of the name) hotel.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 8:47pm On Nov 22, 2018
jydexaus:
Note that it is not automatic that you will be given US visa as a permanent resident. You will still be subjected to the same questioning process like we used to experience back in naija. What is certain is that if your visa is approved you will be given 10 years.

Not true. Unless if you have something in your background or they feel you're shady. On average it takes 10 min. Show proof of employment along with no criminality, and you'll get your 10 year visa within 10 min.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 9:12pm On Nov 22, 2018
Snappyfingaz:

A student will only get 2years.

Not true. I know students who have 10 years. It may depend on your travel history but two of my friends' kids who are undergraduates in University renewed here and have 10 years.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 9:38pm On Nov 22, 2018
olajide21:

Mbanu!!!.... So we ain't need visas to enter CA anymore? I am going to becareful with this if i were you or the questioner. Agents would do anything to let your cash slip off you!

Thanks for your response.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 9:38pm On Nov 22, 2018
Blackbuddy:

Very untrue, please let your friend know that the only genuine path for skilled workers from Nigeria is Express Entry and/or Provincial Nomination. You can direct him/her to IRCC website to see for himself that somebody is about to run a scam on him/her.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada.html

Canada is not opening any such doors 'regardless of qualification', not with the recent body language of the government here to tighten entry requirements especially for asylum seekers and refugees, requiring higher burden of proof for successful processing of claims. So much so, some immigration consultants here recently protested a recent court ruling that will make it more challenging for certain asylum seeking Nigerians to scale through now.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1L621Q

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/23/canada-rejecting-more-refugee-claims-amid-border-crossing-influx-under-trump

Please send your friend to the Nairaland Express Entry thread rather than allow some dubious persons to make him or her a case study.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 9:39pm On Nov 22, 2018
Boss13:

Canada did not only open its doors, it also opened its windows to immigrants. However, this is dependent on the route/program you choose. If you choose the Economic skill program and you are qualified, there is a huge guarantee. If you choose the refugee program, there is a huge probability of returning back to Muritala Mohammed Airport.

There are immigration lawyers and agents. Their job is to make money from you and not to assure you of approval.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 9:45pm On Nov 22, 2018
Not that i believed the story. I was almost pressured into calling Justin Trudeau to confirm since according to him, we have unfettered access to the people in authority. What made me not to attempt it is that i don't want the authorities thinking my visa issuance was a mistake for making such enquiries. How can they open their doors to only Nigerians? The desperation of these agents is apalling.

Thanks all for your responses.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 9:53pm On Nov 22, 2018
Bsbabe:

Any successful visa application will get 10 years. Note the successful though as I know of students who have been refused. I renewed my U.S. visa in Toronto in April and I saw a Nigerian student refused as well as another lady who was told to come back after she has established a 'better work history' (I don't know her nationality but I believe she schooled here and she is currently on a work permit).

Please what are the requirements for applying for US visa? This is my first time applying for it and am a PR holder with no travel history except for Dubai and then recently this PR card.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by softandmoist(f): 10:35pm On Nov 22, 2018
czaratwork:
Not that i believed the story. I was almost pressured into calling Justin Trudeau to confirm since according to him, we have unfettered access to the people in authority. What made me not to attempt it is that i don't want the authorities thinking my visa issuance was a mistake for making such enquiries. How can they open their doors to only Nigerians? The desperation of these agents is apalling.

Thanks all for your responses.
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 10:36pm On Nov 22, 2018
czaratwork:

Please what are the requirements for applying for US visa? This is my first time applying for it and am a PR holder with no travel history except for Dubai and then recently this PR card.

You can follow the links below to get more information.

https://ca.usembassy.gov/visas/categories-and-requirements/

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/PDF-other/VisaFlyer_B1B2_March_2015.pdf

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by veleta: 10:55pm On Nov 22, 2018
UBA gives PTA on one way ticket without hassles.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by eclectic139(f): 11:27pm On Nov 22, 2018
Newmum0615:
Good morning my people,

For our landed brethren who cargoed stuff, please do you know where I can buy cartons in Lagos. I need them to pack my wall pictures and books.

Thanks.
Something I thought to mention to you.. you may have already done it. if you have, then ignore. Please ask whoever is shipping your stuff the best way to pack. Sometimes they have to repack it after you give it to them, also to protect from damage from water or handling.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 12:55am On Nov 23, 2018
Hello People!

For recently landed folks who are looking to shop for winter wears, I just thought to inform y'all that Mountain warehouse's online store is currently offering a 50% Black early friday discount. They have arctic expedition jackets, fleece tops etc.

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/ca/

15 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 1:20am On Nov 23, 2018
kylexy61:

I see the Canadian culture is already percolating into your veins grin grin

Lol
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 1:23am On Nov 23, 2018
eclectic139:

To add to this.. Our lecturer back then in the Uk told us suicide rates go up in Winter months.. I was among the naijans that scoffed at it.. saying naijans don't feel depressed / down. but I noticed there was a difference in my moods between the winter n summer months. You step out at 3pm n its all dark n dreary.. coupled with the grey skies and the cold, no motivation to do any other thing apart from sleep or stay in bed. but in the summer months.. at 11pm its still bright.. I'm gingered to go out and not just stay in doors in bed. There is definitely something there.

Wow 3pm? That one na real wa o
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 1:28am On Nov 23, 2018
tobore187:

Interesting einsteino....funny enough my husband was telling me earlier today to try and go outside for periods of five minutes at a time to receive sunlight as i work indoors the entire day/daylight. I laughed it off, now i know better. Thanks.

Yeah we learn everyday.
If your job entails working with a computer all day, then you should know you need periodic breaks in natural light to relieve your eyes from the strain of blue light from screens. Though there are also glases that helps with this, still its generally recommended that one takes breaks.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 1:29am On Nov 23, 2018
MummyJaygirls:

get a generous amount of vit D pills to be taking daily
thanks alot MamaJay, I go try am

(1) (2) (3) ... (440) (441) (442) (443) (444) (445) (446) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.