Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,553 members, 7,812,772 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:03 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (445) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1981875 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (442) (443) (444) (445) (446) (447) (448) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford: 9:50pm On Nov 23, 2018
joo2018:
For landed and prospective permanent residents, avoid DUI.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-impaired-driving-penalties-deportation-1.4917026

https://www.immigration.ca/canadian-permanent-residents-face-deportation-for-first-time-impaired-driving-conviction-dui
It is common sense really, but there are indeed Nigerian PRs that have been convicted for DUIs. It's a serious criminal offence in North America. How can one even pass a job background check with a dui conviction? I do not know. Never want to be in such situation.
Another offence that new immigrants might not be aware of is that it is a crime to patronize oloshos. Police often set up sting operations. i.e They put up advert on the internet and classified webpages to catch people. The rules here is interesting because selling olosho services itself is not a crime, but patronizing one is, so the girls are let go.

Different types of convictions would often lead to either deportation or denial of citizenship.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4054882

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by eclectic139(f): 10:25pm On Nov 23, 2018
deTimo:

Yeske, e easy to be in the air for over 30 hours? You must eat every 5 hours now.
[q

uote author=Tojued post=73238474]

Jumia is far. Stroll down to the big grocery store close to your house and make friends there. Even better if you have a particular customer you've been shopping with (shop or market). They'll be more than happy to dash or sell you cartons.

Except you particularly don't want used/grocery cartons sha. Cc newmum0615[/quote]
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by eclectic139(f): 10:27pm On Nov 23, 2018
deTimo:

Yeske, e easy to be in the air for over 30 hours? You must eat every 5 hours now.

No use their food (Ethiopian Airline) get hope oh. My flight was skrep... I endured and "swallowed" the rice n "stew" they served from Naija to Addis. Was just drinking juice n water, plus I had small suya n cake in my bag I used to hold body. So if you can put some snacks in ur bag...do so..in case of "incasity".

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sconp: 10:49pm On Nov 23, 2018
salford:

It is common sense really, but there are indeed Nigerian PRs that have been convicted for DUIs. It's a serious criminal offence in North America. How can one even pass a job background check with a dui conviction? I do not know. Never want to be in such situation.
Another offence that new immigrants might not be aware of is that it is a crime to patronize oloshos. Police often set up sting operations. i.e They put up advert on the internet and classified webpages to catch people. The rules here is interesting because selling olosho services itself is not a crime, but patronizing one is, so the girls are let go.

Different types of convictions would often lead to either deportation or denial of citizenship.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4054882

Ah this is confusing o, selling sweet is not a crime but buying the sweet is? Why allow the sweet to be sold in the first place?

11 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by armstead: 11:15pm On Nov 23, 2018
sconp:

Ah this is confusing o, selling sweet is not a crime but buying the sweet is? Why allow the sweet to be sold in the first place?

I tire o
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by armstead: 11:23pm On Nov 23, 2018
rukaiya:

Congratulations!!!
I'm curious, which airline did you guys use?

We used KLM and they didn’t even ask us for fit to fly; probably seeing our condition, they even had to clear two extra seats for us by relocating the passengers there to another place so we had four seats to ourselves with my little daughter. I only paid for two.

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Boss13: 11:46pm On Nov 23, 2018
Ambidextrause:
Same with UK visa? Is it as straightforward as that of US, based on someone's PR status?

If not for the travel cost from Canada to the UK, I would have applied as well. grin grin grin
I got the US Visa with 10 years validity as you correctly mentioned.

Yes - I actually applied when I was in Nigeria with my COPR. My application without COPR was sufficient enough for UK visa refusal. However, I got 6 months.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Godsfavouredone: 12:59am On Nov 24, 2018
Hello everyone, welldone for your great contributions. I just got my PPR, so I am officially welcoming my self here although I have been reading for a while now. I am an accountant and will be converting my ACCA to CPA before I leave Nigeria. My husband works in a multinational company in Nigeria as a Public relation person( though that’s not the job title). We have to 2kids 2 and 4years.
I am a lil confused about where to settle. The things that are important to me are:
1. Good neighborhood to raise kids
2. Where we can eventually buy a house
3. Good jobs for both of us
4. Not in the regular Lagos rat race where you cannot save or own a property or traffic for hours
5. Good weather( I know Canada is cold, atleast not to settle in one of the coldest)
6. Where French is not a necessity
The more I researched the more confused I get.
I will really appreciate your suggestions.
Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 1:20am On Nov 24, 2018
armstead:

As a PR, Please can I show proof of employment outside Canada as I am currently working in Nigeria but would like to apply for my US visa in Canada. The reason is that my family is based in Canada and I would like us to apply together next month when I visit Canada. Albeit one of my children is a Canadian.

It'd be up to the agent. No situation is black or white. But they like the person to have strong ties to Canada. You're most likely in Nigeria more than Canada. It doesn't look good, personally.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sweetrie(f): 2:08am On Nov 24, 2018
MummyJaygirls:
Hello all, this is a great deal for newcomers.

For more info, holla. Thanks
Sent you a PM
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fabmummy: 2:37am On Nov 24, 2018
MummyJaygirls:

pls send me a mail

Done. Thanks mummyjay
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ifywhyteman: 3:08am On Nov 24, 2018
MummyJaygirls:

na only from window e dey hot, go outside first, u go know how far, lol

Very true...I later came outside and the warmness I was getting from my window disappeared...Na only the light I come dey see, no heat...Na it cold rush me like say I find am trouble...lol. Snow dey humble sun here well well.

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ifywhyteman: 3:25am On Nov 24, 2018
jelmusboy:
To those who have used Egypt airlines, how many times were you served food on board? Someone who just landed said Ethiopian airlines served six times from Lagos to YYZ.

Food is key in this long journey

I will advice you to get some biscuits, cake, bread etc for the junior. The only thing that looked like food Egypt Air served us was from naija to cairo, when they served us rice. But from Cairo to Toronto, I no challenge their food after the first spoon. I didn't even know what it was. The odour was even repulsive. I think from Cairo to Toronto "food" was served twice, with light snack (biscuits) in between. There was also juice, tea or coffee and water. I had stomach upset from the nonsense I tasted. Thank God I didn't eat much else...lol. Just buy some stuffs you could eat in the plane from naija.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ifywhyteman: 3:26am On Nov 24, 2018
jelmusboy:
To those who have used Egypt airlines, how many times were you served food on board? Someone who just landed said Ethiopian airlines served six times from Lagos to YYZ.

Food is key in this long journey

I will advice you to get some biscuits, cake, bread etc for the journey. The only thing that looked like food Egypt Air served us was from naija to cairo, when they served us rice. But from Cairo to Toronto, I no challenge their food after the first spoon. I didn't even know what it was. The odour was even repulsive. I think from Cairo to Toronto "food" was served twice, with light snack (biscuits) in between. There was also juice, tea or coffee and water. I had stomach upset from the nonsense I tasted. Thank God I didn't eat much else...lol. Just buy some stuffs you could eat in the plane from naija.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by eclectic139(f): 3:37am On Nov 24, 2018
Ifywhyteman:

Very true...I later came outside and the warmness I was getting from my window disappeared...Na only the light I come dey see, no heat...Na it cold rush me like say I find am trouble...lol. Snow dey humble sun here well well.

that Sun na just freezer bulb.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rukayatd: 4:29am On Nov 24, 2018
Pls my fellow naija people in Canada. Please i have some urgent questions. I am a permanent resident and just got a job this month.
1. What do I need to invite someone over from Nigeria?
2. Which route us faster paper/online route as I am almost due.
3. If paper route is best, which visa office do you suggest?
4. Do I need to notarize the letter of invitation?
5. Who do I address the letter to.
Pls answers are needed urgently as I'm almost due. Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Negotiate: 1:23pm On Nov 24, 2018
armstead:

We used KLM and they didn’t even ask us for fit to fly; probably seeing our condition, they even had to clear two extra seats for us by relocating the passengers there to another place so we had four seats to ourselves with my little daughter. I only paid for two.

Is your girl less than 2 yeas old?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dkizzy01: 4:17pm On Nov 24, 2018
hi everyone...

please which online courses is recognise in Canada that can be use as certificate,

I was thinking of Udemy courses.

Please your view will be highly appreciated.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by armstead: 5:07pm On Nov 24, 2018
Negotiate:

Is your girl less than 2 yeas old?

Correct
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by drcynthia(f): 5:11pm On Nov 24, 2018
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by olajide21: 5:24pm On Nov 24, 2018
drcynthia:
Good day house.
Pls I have some questions as regards flight to Canada.
1. Family of 5 two adults and three kids(under 2years) how do such families go about flights cos I heard it's one adult per child.
2. Which airlines have cheap/reliable ie which airline is adviced.
3. How do I book/Pay.

Sorry for the JJC Q's Na where I sabi reach.

One adult per child? Never heard anything near this? IMO, board with your family and off you go. What you might want to consider is early check in so you can have a complete roll to your family while others are close by.

As for Cheap Airline, ET or Egypt air while serve you. If you are flying from Lagos, try Royal AirMoroc.

#graceahead
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by drcynthia(f): 5:29pm On Nov 24, 2018
olajide21:

One adult per child? Never heard anything near this? IMO, board with your family and off you go. What you might want to consider is early check in so you can have a complete roll to your family while others are close by.

As for Cheap Airline, ET or Egypt air while serve you. If you are flying from Lagos, try Royal AirMoroc.

#graceahead
ok thanks. The thing is all the kids r under 2 yrs. So d rule is one adult can only lap a child....so I am thinking of buying a third seat...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rukayatd: 5:34pm On Nov 24, 2018
rukayatd:
Pls my fellow naija people in Canada. Please i have some urgent questions. I am a permanent resident and just got a job this month.
1. What do I need to invite someone over from Nigeria?
2. Which route us faster paper/online route as I am almost due.
3. If paper route is best, which visa office do you suggest?
4. Do I need to notarize the letter of invitation?
5. Who do I address the letter to.
Pls answers are needed urgently as I'm almost due. Thanks in advance.

pls i need answers
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 6:03pm On Nov 24, 2018
drcynthia:
ok thanks. The thing is all the kids r under 2 yrs. So d rule is one adult can only lap a child....so I am thinking of buying a third seat...

Airlines typically do not allow a passenger to be responsible for more than one child under the age of two so they state that any passenger under two must be accompanied by an adult. I now do not know if they would allow you to buy a 3rd seat without the 3rd accompanying adult. Maybe they would make exceptions for special cases e.g. parents with triplets? Who knows? Because how would they expect them to fly? Just thinking aloud..... You should call them and find out.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Negotiate: 7:11pm On Nov 24, 2018
Bsbabe:

Airlines typically do not allow a passenger to be responsible for more than one child under the age of two so they state that any passenger under two must be accompanied by an adult. I now do not know if they would allow you to buy a 3rd seat without the 3rd accompanying adult. Maybe they would make exceptions for special cases e.g. parents with triplets? Who knows? Because how would they expect them to fly? Just thinking aloud..... You should call them and find out.

Please in a case of 2 adults and one kid, 2 years and a few months, is it necessary to buy a third seat?
Looking to run on a budget.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by drcynthia(f): 7:23pm On Nov 24, 2018
Bsbabe:

thank you, i will call them then, cos my case is perculiar grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:23pm On Nov 24, 2018
Negotiate:

Please in a case of 2 adults and one kid, 2 years and a few months, is it necessary to buy a third seat?
Looking to run on a budget.

Any child above two years old has to buy his/her own seat so yes, you need 3 seats. A child between 2-11 years old is however paying 75% of your full adult fare.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by drcynthia(f): 7:24pm On Nov 24, 2018
Bsbabe:

Any child above two years old has to buy his/her own seat so yes, you need 3 seats. A child between 2-11 years old is however paying 75% of your full adult fare.
please help ,me check also...two adults and three babies under age 2...God bless u....All airlines r saying an adult must accompany the child...na wa o
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:38pm On Nov 24, 2018
drcynthia:
thank you, i will call them then, cos my case is perculiar grin

Indeed it is and while not trying to prejudge what you will be told, you may need to start looking for another family or friend that you know may be travelling and plan with them for backup. I just saw this.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:49pm On Nov 24, 2018
Hi folks,

Can anyone here please recommend people that can help one send money to a Nigerian account from Canada with good exchange rates by transferring the Canadian Dollars equivalents to them or any cost efficient money transfer app.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by drcynthia(f): 8:05pm On Nov 24, 2018
Bsbabe:

Indeed it is and while not trying to prejudge what you will be told, you may need to start looking for another family or friend that you know may be travelling and plan with them for backup. I just saw this.

hmmmm....what if they are above 2 years? No need for extra adults

(1) (2) (3) ... (442) (443) (444) (445) (446) (447) (448) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.