Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,443 members, 7,826,701 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 06:50 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (449) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1993171 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (446) (447) (448) (449) (450) (451) (452) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 55emem55: 8:06pm On Nov 27, 2018
Lmaooooo.

jelmusboy:
So that I can follow the next available flight to Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tobore187: 8:11pm On Nov 27, 2018
Not boring at all! Welcome to Canada...abi no be so dem go greet me sef? cheesy.
I do have a few questions too....The food you cargoed, biko what items did you find absolutely necessary to carry?
Me i want to carry crayfish and stockfish o...if not on airline, i wonder what cargo will allow..
Secondly, two meals in 24 Hours! with an infant for that matter, you people did not hala for them? hope you had something to sustain you other than water sha?

And then to the seniors....i am terrified of the cost of daycare, its almost equal to what to pay for rent in some places. Biko, those with infants and toddlers, how are you people doing it? I cant stay home to be with my baby all day when i need to be working, and i cant be working and paying it all back into daycare....please who can tell me the way out ? tenkiu

jelmusboy:
BORING LANDING GIST

To landed seniors, kindly provide me with what I need to know and do during this first week, it must end in PRAISE.

I am staying temporarily at Etobicoke for maximum of two weeks by God's grace.

Kindly manage my boring story unlike Einsteino, who will hold you spellbound with his gist.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by eclectic139(f): 8:17pm On Nov 27, 2018
rainazoe:
Edakun brothers and sisters. Help me answer my questions below. Ese.
When did you land? You are not eligible for OHIP till after 3 months from the first time you stepped into Ontario. You will need a proof address to complete the application process and they will only accept mail that was posted to your address e.g. Bank statement posted to you. they will not accept a stamped letter from the bank. (That was my experience). For travel insurance I believe you should be able to buy from naija, If Mansard and co don't work, try Blue Cross.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 8:30pm On Nov 27, 2018
tobore187:
Not boring at all! Welcome to Canada...abi no be so dem go greet me sef? cheesy.
I do have a few questions too....The food you cargoed, biko what items did you find absolutely necessary to carry?
Me i want to carry crayfish and stockfish o...if not on airline, i wonder what cargo will allow..
Secondly, two meals in 24 Hours! with an infant for that matter, you people did not hala for them? hope you had something to sustain you other than water sha?

And then to the seniors....i am terrified of the cost of daycare, its almost equal to what to pay for rent in some places. Biko, those with infants and toddlers, how are you people doing it? I cant stay home to be with my baby all day when i need to be working, and i cant be working and paying it all back into daycare
..please who can tell me the way out ? tenkiu

In Which province are you planning to reside?
In Quebec daycares have low cost given that they are subsidized by the government.
In any case, as a new immigrant you should qualify for subsidized daycare in most of provinces. I know Ontario has subsidized daycare for people with low income. Given that you haven't filed any taxes, you will be considered as low income

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tobore187: 8:37pm On Nov 27, 2018
Not Quebec....The French factor undecided , howver Ottawa or Calgary/Edmonton are our choices for now. The subsidizing would have a very long waiting list yes?

I might most likely be landing to give birth or land with a very young infant.

TheCongo2:

In Which province are you planning to reside?
In Quebec daycares have low cost given that they are subsidized by the government.
In any case, as a new immigrant you should qualify for subsidized daycare in most of provinces. I know Ontario has subsidized daycare for people with low income. Given that you haven't filed any taxes, you will be considered as low income
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 8:42pm On Nov 27, 2018
tobore187:
Not Quebec....The French factor undecided , howver Ottawa or Calgary/Edmonton are our choices for now. The subsidizing would have a very long waiting list yes?

Okay, Gatineau-Quebec and Ottawa are separated by a road. What if you elect Gatineau as a place of residence?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 8:42pm On Nov 27, 2018
Which of the insurance companies did you go for and was it worth it?

mzjennypher:
Hello house I am landing next month Ontario precisely,pls ow can I purchase health insurance since the province wouldn't provide till after 90days.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 8:44pm On Nov 27, 2018
[quote author=eclectic139 post=73359815][/quote]

Thanks Eclectic. I was actually thinking of Mansard but they won't tell me the terms and conditions aka fine print until I purchase the policy.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jholarharde(f): 8:51pm On Nov 27, 2018
Guitarlife:

Thanks for responding , this was the deal the lady suggested, or was she just being funny ?
She said 0kg - 6kg 7usd per kg
but from 7kg upwards its 11USD per kg .

Does it mean the lady that attended to me probably had a knowledge gap issue ?
By the time you calculate 50kg * 11USD * 364 = NGN 200,200.00
you're right I called them too and got the same price. it is too exorbitant
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jholarharde(f): 8:52pm On Nov 27, 2018
jelmusboy:
Went out to enquire about mobile plan and Bank account.

Photo 1 & 2: Black squirrel

Photo 3 & 4: Better road, smooth and wide
congratulations bro may the land favor you. pls we await your cargo information
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by eclectic139(f): 8:56pm On Nov 27, 2018
Trizadove:

Yes she will need IELTS and she can write in Canada. She should go to the IRCC website and use the CRS tool to check her score based on her current profile. Suggesting this option if this is not her first or second degree she is going to school for and she has enough work experience in the required NOC codes. For proof of funds.. She will present her Canadian account statement so long has she has legal status in Canada. basically look through the IRCC website. All the info required is there.

wow
thank you so much. but she is working as a student. doesnt that count?
please i would like to know the other requirements needed. does she needs the IELTS too? if yes, can she do it in Canada.
would she be needing her statement of account here in Nigeria again? she doesnt have any money there....lol
i appreciate the knowledge you have shared. please help me answer this if you can. thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by eclectic139(f): 9:12pm On Nov 27, 2018
Trizadove:

Also, what about her work experience here in Nig? cant it be of use if she gets letters from her employers?

It all depends on her current status in Canada because she will already have profile on the Immigration portal. Let me use this case to give you an example.

This person came here just after finishing NYSC in naija.
Did 2 PGCerts, Got 3 yrs work permit.
Worked in required NOC for 2 years
Created Express ENtry profile Sept,2018 Still given same ID from all applications.
Was told they were eligible for 2 streams (forgot to ask what exact streams were mentioned)
Received ITA at the next draw.
Used Employment letter from Current Canadian Employment since it matched NOC code requirements.
(So your sister may need naija letter if she has enough points to get ITA)
Used Canada Bank Statement
Still had to do WES for naija degree
wrote IELTS but was able to get enough points with 6.5 in one of the parts
Still needed police report from naija
Does not need to do finger prints
Hasn't gotten any update yet.

Hope this gave you some direction.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by eclectic139(f): 9:37pm On Nov 27, 2018
rainazoe:

Thanks Eclectic. I was actually thinking of Mansard but they won't tell me the terms and conditions aka fine print until I purchase the policy.

Na wah oh.. which kain life is that. them don carry come. IGI has travel insurance. you can check with them.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 10:29pm On Nov 27, 2018
jelmusboy:

Welcome to Canada. smiley

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 10:31pm On Nov 27, 2018

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ceemac: 11:30pm On Nov 27, 2018
Trizadove:

Also, what about her work experience here in Nig? cant it be of use if she gets letters from her employers?

Work experience from Nigeria do count provided she worked in the required NOC A, B or O as required by Express Entry
She can regularize to become a PR while still a student, No rule that forbids that... People have done it successfully and your sister is not going to be the first.

As being a student, her best bet will be FSW as she is not eligible yet for CEC (She can only be eligible upon completing one year in any of the required EE NOC job for 1 year minimum after graduation)

Having said those all potential immigrant requires a test of official language, the only reason your sister may not require IELTS is if she takes a Test d'évaluation de français (TEF)

I do hope she finds the information useful.

As for immigration lawyer suggested, I could be an unofficial legal immigration consultant... grin grin grin

For the most part look for the sister's thread for guidance... All you need is on there...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ahiboilandgas: 11:36pm On Nov 27, 2018
Please who can answer this hubby is supply chain manager (logistic manager )with 3 years work experience while spouse works as a federal civil servant on gl 12 (ten years working experience)who has a better chance of getting pr
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 12:45am On Nov 28, 2018
ahiboilandgas:
Please who can answer this hubby is supply chain manager (logistic manager )with 3 years work experience while spouse works as a federal civil servant on gl 12 (ten years working experience)who has a better chance of getting pr
CRS scores would determine who is better.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 12:48am On Nov 28, 2018
jelmusboy:
So that I can follow the next available flight to Nigeria.

Bro please I also booked Egypt air, I wanna confirm this, did they weigh your hand luggage too ? My hand luggage is weighing more than 8kg so I want to k ow if I can get away with that with Egypt air.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jelmusboy(m): 1:07am On Nov 28, 2018
They did but just have some cash with you to make your bags to pass
Guitarlife:

Bro please I also booked Egypt air, I wanna confirm this, did they weigh your hand luggage too ? My hand luggage is weighing more than 8kg so I want to k ow if I can get away with that with Egypt air.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jelmusboy(m): 1:09am On Nov 28, 2018
Please, where are the cheap towns in Ontario? Need to look for accommodation in those places and settle down
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 1:33am On Nov 28, 2018
jelmusboy:
Please, where are the cheap towns in Ontario? Need to look for accommodation in those places and settle down

Ontario is huge... very huge. The southern Ontario offer more opportunities than the northern part of Ontario

The Most expensive place in Ontario is the GTA (Toronto, Mississauga, Brampton, Ajax, Withby, Vaughan, markham, Oakville etc ... ) .

You should consider places in the Southern Ontario like London, St.Catherines, Kitchener, Waterloo, Barrie, Kingston, Windsor ...

The North (Thunder Bay, North Bay, Sault Saint Marie, Sudbury, lenora etc...) may be cheaper but can get extremely cold. Less opportunity in the North. You may also have to deal with the French wahala in the North given that a lot of communities there are made of French Canadians who had settled in Ontario since 1615, Franco-Ontarian. A lot of businesses are bilingual in the north.

In my opinion, the North isn't worth it even though it may be very cheap to live there. You may end up been the only black in your community if you go north

46 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 5:39am On Nov 28, 2018
Thank you ma. It's all of them though. You get a quote from their site and at least Mansard says they cover xyz but I don't want story if I need to claim

eclectic139:

Na wah oh.. which kain life is that. them don carry come. IGI has travel insurance. you can check with them.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 5:42am On Nov 28, 2018
You no go prairie region again? Was looking forward to reading your 'landing' on that. Your landing story never finish Sir. Remain the cargo gist. grin grin grin

jelmusboy:

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jelmusboy(m): 8:31am On Nov 28, 2018
Thank you, TheCongo

TheCongo2:

Ontario is huge... very huge. The southern Ontario offer more opportunities than the northern part of Ontario

The Most expensive place in Ontario is the GTA (Toronto, Mississauga, Brampton, Ajax, Withby, Vaughan, markham, Oakville etc ... ) .

You should consider places in the Southern Ontario like London, St.Catherines, Kitchener, Waterloo, Barrie, Kingston, Windsor ...

The North (Thunder Bay, North Bay, Sault Saint Marie, Sudbury, lenora etc...) may be cheaper but can get extremely cold. Less opportunity in the North. You may also have to deal with the French wahala in the North given that a lot of communities there are made of French Canadians who had settled in Ontario since 1615, Franco-Ontarian. A lot of businesses are bilingual in the north.

In my opinion, the North isn't worth it even though it may be very cheap to live there. You may end up been the only black in your community if you go north
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Trizadove: 9:02am On Nov 28, 2018
ceemac:

Work experience from Nigeria do count provided she worked in the required NOC A, B or O as required by Express Entry
She can regularize to become a PR while still a student, No rule that forbids that... People have done it successfully and your sister is not going to be the first.

As being a student, her best bet will be FSW as she is not eligible yet for CEC (She can only be eligible upon completing one year in any of the required EE NOC job for 1 year minimum after graduation)

Having said those all potential immigrant requires a test of official language, the only reason your sister may not require IELTS is if she takes a Test d'évaluation de français (TEF)

I do hope she finds the information useful.

As for immigration lawyer suggested, I could be an unofficial legal immigration consultant... grin grin grin

For the most part look for the sister's thread for guidance... All you need is on there...

thank you so much sir/ma
i appreciate this.
i think filling for PR as a student wont be a bad idea.
please i sent you a PM kindly reply.
thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by iaatmguy(m): 9:06am On Nov 28, 2018
jelmusboy:
BORING LANDING GIST

Kindly manage my boring story unlike Einsteino, who will hold you spellbound with his gist.
Thank you for this "boring " landing gist. really appreciated
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Jumdah20: 10:59am On Nov 28, 2018
Thank you for sharung this not at all boring story, i laughed as i pictured your bany suckling from hungry Mummy, eeyah. Ive learnt must carry plenty snacks aboard, maybe even eba and efo riro. Maybe you find God's help at every turn.

jelmusboy:
BORING LANDING GIST

We arrived at the MMIA, Lagos by 11am for a Toronto bound flight via Cairo with departure time of 2.25pm on Sunday 25th November. We had five checked-in baggage and two hand luggage with extra back pack and handbag cos we are family of three (Two adults, one infant). All baggage were for clothes and shoes because we decided to cargo our food items (Two bags, 50kg in total) since paying for extra two baggage will set us back by 110k via Egypt airlines. Looking forward to receiving the food items by next week.

We got to the check-in desk and each of the baggage weighed between 23.6kg to 25.9kg. We didn’t reduce the weight as we were asked to settle them for our bags to pass. All in all, we paid 3.5k to pass the overweight checked-in baggage and cabin luggage. Because of our little baby, we requested for Bassinet and we were provided with one when we boarded. Meanwhile, almost 20 family members and friends followed us to the airport and after checking in, we went outside to take pictures and pray for the journey and new life in Maple land.

I declared all the cash (POF in Pounds sterling and $100 note) I have on me and I wasn’t questioned by any officer, everything went smoothly. When we got to the departure gate, we were told that our flight has not arrived from Egypt and we had to wait for some extra minutes. A flight meant to depart at 2.25pm departed at 3.10pm.

On board, we were served the first meal two hours after departure. We occupied two seats while the third seat was vacant, so we had space to put extra stuff and keep them away from the baby. We arrived Egypt after six hours and it was smooth. Had a stop over of 5 hours and we used that time to pray and relax. Neither free Wi-Fi nor good food was at the airport , we just sat there till it was time to board the Toronto bound flight.

We boarded the Toronto bound flight after passing through the security screening and the aircraft looks nice and clean. Our precious extension cable was collected from us. We were provided with a bassinet to put our baby after take-off but we didn't use it because our baby refuse to sleep in it. We just packed some stuff in it. First meal on board came and it was crap for me, had to just eat the meat and drink some juices. To be honest, the journey to Toronto was awesome (12 hours direct from Cairo) but the food was crap. Our baby didn’t allow my wife to rest because she continued suckling from an hungry mother. In all, we were served two times from Egypt to Canada which I believe was bad cos the distant was just too much. My greatest fear was when we were on Atlantic ocean for more than 4 hours, Canada journey is not easy. It requires prayer and patience you had before you got PPR.

We landed at exactly the scheduled time (7am on Monday), got to the first officer and we told her what we had on us. No dairy and meat. Proceeded to another office who asked us if we are landing today and we confirmed that. Collected our passport, COPR and address to send the PR card and asked us told to sit for a while. I was afraid with so many things going through my mind. At last, he called on us to sign our COPR and we heard the golden word, you are now a PERMANENT RESIDENT.

We proceeded to an immigration service desk where they provided us with info about new immigrants programs and went to Service Canada to get our SIN number. We had to wait for like 10 minutes to get it sorted. We were welcomed to Canada in each desk with lovely smile. We proceeded to get our bags waiting on the carousel. From there, we moved to Customs where we declared our goods accompanying and following. I quoted CAD $5000 as food items am expecting and I was asked to sign the necessary documents. We carried over CAD $10k, we declared everything to the last #500 I had with me. When the custom officer converted #500 to Canadian dollars, she said that’s less than two dollars. He now asked me to tell her what that can buy out of curiosity. I told her that can buy my breakfast from a canteen and I will still have balance in Nigeria. She was surprised and at the end, she welcomed us to Canada again and we proceeded to exit.

I was expecting a friend to come pick me up to my temporary host's house but because I couldn’t get Wi-Fi to connect with, had to borrow phone from a nice lady who without objection gave us her phone to call. She was so nice and even wanted to share her mobile hotspot with us but the connection keeps breaking. We eventually took a taxi home and charged $40.

We couldn’t do anything on first day other than to eat, relax and sleep. We will be going out on Tuesday to get SIM card only cos me and my wife already have good phones that will work anywhere in the world. We will also open our bank and start the job hunting.

I don’t have anywhere in mind to stay permanently for now, getting a job will dictate that. However, I will prefer the Prairie region and the West provinces.
To landed seniors, kindly provide me with what I need to know and do during this first week, it must end in PRAISE.

I am staying temporarily at Etobicoke for maximum of two weeks by God's grace.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Randomsue: 11:56am On Nov 28, 2018
GlitteringStar2:

Welcome to Canada. smiley

Hi GS, not sure I saw your landing gist. Hope the land has been kind to you though

#gisthungry #stillafewmonthstolanding

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Randomsue: 12:01pm On Nov 28, 2018
jelmusboy:
I landed in Ontario because I didn't have much on me to book flight to Prairie region and don't want to touch POF until I land to avoid stories that touch.

Also, my wife was able to arrange somewhere for us to stay temporarily in Toronto while we sort ourselves out. I don't have anybody in Prairie region.

Hope that satisfies your curiosity

Thank you for even bothering to answer, make sense really
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Temiy: 12:17pm On Nov 28, 2018
hello all Canadian aspiring students I was once on this thread in 2016 when I was waiting for my visa and needed information that's why I taught of making a video on things I did not see here as at that time that can help student transition into Canada properly
titled 5 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE COMING TO CANADA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7RJhSbakCo
WISH YOU ALL THE BEST

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sparkle2k3: 12:58pm On Nov 28, 2018
I landed Edmonton yesterday and was thinking of swallowing my 'small uneventful' aka 'boring' landing gist.. But, just read jelmusboy's and will share mine later..

18 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (446) (447) (448) (449) (450) (451) (452) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.