Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,752 members, 7,809,884 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:36 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (453) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1980445 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (450) (451) (452) (453) (454) (455) (456) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ambidextrause: 10:43pm On Nov 29, 2018
LOL. True.

Someone was said to me, "Edmonton is like a trailer park."

Fusion23:

Calgary is finer thou grin

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MissEmmy: 10:53pm On Nov 29, 2018
That will be difficult for me as I don't live in Lagos.
purplerain:
Had the same issue when booking earlier this month. We had to reserve and pay for the booking at their office in VI. The staff there mentioned they had stopped accepting debit cards from Nigeria because of fraud.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jelmusboy(m): 11:19pm On Nov 29, 2018
SCAM ALERT

I was checking through Kijiji for rent today and I stumbled on a two bedroom house in Etobicoke for $800 per month. I contacted the owner and he sent the house description to me. He said he works with the United Nations and have been transferred to Vancouver from Ontario, so he is renting his house out to someone who can take care of the house. In fact, his offer was awesome. I assured him that I take care of his house if he rent it out to me.

Immediately, he requested for my personal details and few history like an authentic landlord. I was playing along. He now said he is not around that he will send the keys to the house via FedEx overnight delivery and I should proceed with payment. As someone who has stayed with Yahoo boys in a flat before and still have them as friends, I know where he was heading to.

I told him he should send the keys that I will make the payment immediately I get the keys. He objected that he will have to pay to send the keys. I told him to send the keys and I pay for postage in addition to the rent. He said it doesn't work like that. Later, he requested that I should send $200 then, I laughed and I said to myself that this guy doesn't know who he is dealing with. It is God's favour that didn't make me become Yahoo boy because I had everything in my disposal to become one some years ago.

I just ended my conversation with him by telling him that he doesn't know the tips and tricks of SCAM. He is dealing with a bloody African man.

So guys, beware of scammers who will pose as landlords. The house hunt continues

63 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 11:21pm On Nov 29, 2018
Ambidextrause:
LOL. True.

Someone was said to me, "Edmonton is like a trailer park."

Loool nope Edmonton isnt too bad like sask, manitoba or new brunswick..Calgary is definetly finer or better
but please thats not what you will chop or turn to money..except u coming to canada to snap pictures grin grin.

So priorities are based on oppurtunities.

18 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by UdomoLeinad: 12:25am On Nov 30, 2018
purplerain:
Had the same issue when booking earlier this month. We had to reserve and pay for the booking at their office in VI. The staff there mentioned they had stopped accepting debit cards from Nigeria because of fraud.

I made my payment on their website and it went through, just 2 days ago! And I used my Zenith Bank card.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by eclectic139(f): 2:51am On Nov 30, 2018
Yep them don plenty everywhere. Had similar experience when I was looking for a flat on kijiji, a colleague mentioned she had same experience too. Anyway Naija 101 should keep us alert.. Canada no mean say foreign fraudsters no dey. Lets all be alert as usual. When I came here.. I was on one of them streaming sites, next thing I get one of those pop up ads n it says my computer had been locked and I should call "Microsoft" for a technician to unlock it. I called the number and someone with an accent picked and said I have to pay. My antenna started standing at that point, but I was freaking out, cos I couldn't leave the screen. I googled Miscrosoft care and the number was different from the one on my screen and the person was still blabbing. Anyway, I called my bro and he told me it was a scam, that I should just turn off the wifi and turn off my computer. na so I escape oh. While this was going on, I called my bank immediately and blocked all my cards "forst".. This happened less than a week after I landed so I was pretty shocked.

jelmusboy:
SCAM ALERT

I was checking through Kijiji for rent today and I stumbled on a two bedroom house in Etobicoke for $800 per month. I contacted the owner and he sent the house description to me. He said he works with the United Nations and have been transferred to Vancouver from Ontario, so he is renting his house out to someone who can take care of the house. In fact, his offer was awesome. I assured him that I take care of his house if he rent it out to me.

Immediately, he requested for my personal details and few history like an authentic landlord. I was playing along. He now said he is not around that he will send the keys to the house via FedEx overnight delivery and I should proceed with payment. As someone who has stayed with Yahoo boys in a flat before and still have them as friends, I know where he was heading to.

I told him he should send the keys that I will make the payment immediately I get the keys. He objected that he will have to pay to send the keys. I told him to send the keys and I pay for postage in addition to the rent. He said it doesn't work like that. Later, he requested that I should send $200 then, I laughed and I said to myself that this guy doesn't know who he is dealing with. It is God's favour that didn't make me become Yahoo boy because I had everything in my disposal to become one some years ago.

I just ended my conversation with him by telling him that he doesn't know the tips and tricks of SCAM. He is dealing with a bloody African man.

So guys, beware of scammers who will pose as landlords. The house hunt continues

19 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by howfar2: 4:00am On Nov 30, 2018
Hello all,

Landed last week through YYC from Europe and the whole process was soo smooth. Did my documentations at the airport and no POF was asked. Rested the next day and went out to open an account with TD Bank and also sorted out social insurance the third day.

I have lived in over 12 countries(UK,USA,NIGERIA,FRANCE ETC) but coming here for the first time,I must say that the other countries rank below Canada.

My only observation so far, please beware of UBER drivers from Jubril's country as they dont end trips and iI have had to challenged them thrice, dont know if the extra dollar(s) will make them buy a mansion in Banana.

In all, it is a lovely environment.

cheers

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 6:33am On Nov 30, 2018
Ekaabo!!!!

purplerain:
Landing gist!

Family of 3 left Nigeria for Toronto on Monday via Ethiopian airlines. We took a total of 6 boxes, 2 hand luggages. Hubs did all the heavy lifting at the airport.

The flight was uneventful (which is what we all hope for anyways smiley ). We arrived Toronto by 7am. However there was a little queue at immigration. The immigration officers were not ready for work that Tuesday morning. They were just gisting and chilling. Seriously, we spent 2.5hrs on that queue (one lady even missed her connecting flight to Ottawa). One guy kept complaining and eventually asked one officer the cause of the delay. The officer replied "good question", and walked away grin.

There was a lady just before me who spent 1hr with 2 officers. Seriously i became scared cause i kept wondering what was going on. Hubs kept reminding me that everyone's case is different. Eventually it got to our turn and it lasted for like 15mins. He didn't ask any serious question, just wanted to know the total value of cash we were carrying. The officer even expressed surprise when he heard we had been waiting for 2.5hrs. I just dey look am with one eye angry

Eventually he said the magic words "you are now a permanent resident of Canada, welcome to Canada" grin.

We moved onto canada service for our SIN, and after collecting our baggage, hubs opened an account with CIBC at the airport. They gave both of us SIM cards with public mobile and $60 voucher each.

We are currently at the BnB and its really nice. My daughter cried the first day from the cold, but she is adjusting well. We were able to get more warm clothing from shop.

So far so good. Trying to find an apartment. All in all, enjoying Toronto.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 6:37am On Nov 30, 2018
Maybe they recently allowed that option. Prior to now, it was either their office or GTB payment.

UdomoLeinad:

I made my payment on their website and it went through, just 2 days ago! And I used my Zenith Bank card.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 6:40am On Nov 30, 2018
Ah Ah why are you people tensioning somebody na @cuteguy201 @TheCongo2 @Natalie27. tongue tongue. I go vex go buy french dictionary o and install duolingo.

toboy:
Salut mesdames et messieurs . Enchanté de vous rencontrer. Ce n'est pas tout les jours qu'on croise sur des gens qui parlent français dans ce forum cheesy @Thecongo tu habites dans quelle ville?. @ Nathalie. Peut-être que Montréal te plairait. C'est une ville quasiment bilingue. Comme ça, tu auras la chance de travailler dans les deux langues.

Moi, je suis étudiant dans ma dernière année à l'université à Montréal et j'ai de l'angoisse de transitionner en domaine de travail. cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dkizzy01: 7:08am On Nov 30, 2018
Hi guys

Please what does this mean

Application can be considered under Inland Arranged Employment / AP- Open work permit category.

Seniors plz share more light on this and how fast is this process

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 7:15am On Nov 30, 2018
howfar2:
Hello all,

Landed last week through YYC from Europe and the whole process was soo smooth. Did my documentations at the airport and no POF was asked. Rested the next day and went out to open an account with TD Bank and also sorted out social insurance the third day.

I have lived in over 12 countries(UK,USA,NIGERIA,FRANCE ETC) but coming here for the first time,I must say that the other countries rank below Canada.

My only observation so far, please beware of UBER drivers from Jubril's country as they dont end trips and iI have had to challenged them thrice, dont know if the extra dollar(s) will make them buy a mansion in Banana.

In all, it is a lovely environment.

cheers

Why didn't you stay in any of those countries ?

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 7:16am On Nov 30, 2018
Nope. Their account numbers are listed on their website. I did a transfer to one of them and they sent my ticket via my registrated email. It's a simple process.
rainazoe:

Maybe they recently allowed that option. Prior to now, it was either their office or GTB payment.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by awys: 7:59am On Nov 30, 2018
dkizzy01:
Hi guys

Application can be considered under Inland Arranged Employment / AP- Open work permit category.

Hello sent you a PM. Kindly Check your mail would like to get an info from you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jelmusboy(m): 9:41am On Nov 30, 2018
Is there anyone who can please do me a favour of helping with a car to go to St. Catharines to view a house. The house is not on the high side and I want to view on Saturday 2.30pm.

Someone should please help a brother

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 11:00am On Nov 30, 2018
jelmusboy:
Is there anyone who can please do me a favour of helping with a car to go to St. Catharines to view a house. The house is not on the high side and I want to view on Saturday 2.30pm.

Someone should please help a brother

Uber?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Timo95: 11:07am On Nov 30, 2018
cuteguy201:
Seems french is the way now, let me do mine too grin

Je m'appelle Cuteguy201, je parle francais un petite peu et j'habite a Lagos. Je suis Nigerien aussi.
cheesy grin wink

@Natalie27 @TheCongo2 @misscanada123
pls can u guys tell me more about this forum ? I'm new here
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Natalie27: 11:43am On Nov 30, 2018
Salut mademoiselle Canada .. tu es déjà là bas ?
misscanada123:

Hey! Je parle français aussi mais je suis debutant. Je suis Nigeriènne
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Natalie27: 11:51am On Nov 30, 2018
L’homme beau bonjour ..j’habite à Lagos aussi
cuteguy201:
Seems french is the way now, let me do mine too grin

Je m'appelle Cuteguy201, je parle francais un petite peu et j'habite a Lagos. Je suis Nigerien aussi.
cheesy grin wink

@Natalie27 @TheCongo2 @misscanada123

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by cuteguy201: 12:02pm On Nov 30, 2018
Hahahaha.... smiley
C'est bon. Bonjour Madmoiselle Natalie.
Natalie27:
L’homme beau bonjour ..j’habite à Lagos aussi
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jelmusboy(m): 12:13pm On Nov 30, 2018
With uber, almost $130 for one way trip. Na help with free ride I dey look for
bLacKGoLd3:

Uber?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 12:18pm On Nov 30, 2018
jelmusboy:
With uber, almost $130 for one way trip. Na help with free ride I dey look for

Ah, OK, makes sense.
Best wishes.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 1:47pm On Nov 30, 2018
howfar2:

How did you arrive at this conclusion?

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by nkay1888(f): 2:00pm On Nov 30, 2018
Akingsqueen:
Hi,
This is what I have.

Rates to Edmonton:
100kg - 399kg = 1250

400kg and above = 1150

The higher the cheaper
Advise on how u pack your things: 1. Bring your things in just a simple Ghana must go bag.....no special bag is required.
2. if you have Red oil, Honey, Iru put, them in a 10L keg separately or lesser keg or Bottle water as d case may be.
3. Ogi starch water should be drained fully and put it in a nylon bag or transparent zip nylon double it.
4.feel free to ask questions...... Am here to serve u better

To contact me for the guys number, send a mail to melankev17@yahoo.com.
I have been unable to reply to Nairaland PM requests.

Please What food stuffs are allowed and which isn't. Planning for next year

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Natalie27: 2:08pm On Nov 30, 2018
Tout le monde parlent comme ça, même si au Nigeria , quand on connaît que je peux parler Français, ils disent « il y’a beaucoup d’opportunite , tu peut faire ça et ça mais je pense si je suis capable d’etre Un enseigneur ou traducteur parce que ça fait longtemps que je parle et écrit la langu , peut être je peux fair un cours tandis que je traivalle...
En ce qui concerne des accents ce n’est pas de tout un problem , je te comprends bien .

Toi aussi, m’excuse n’importe quel erreur ...

Mais serioisement j’ai peur que ma francais ne va pas suffire

Aussi
TheCongo2:

En tant que bilingue, tu auras beaucoup de chance sur le marché d'emploi. En Ontario par example, beaucoup de banques cherchent des personnes bilingues pour faire le service a la clientèle.
En plus, en tant que bilingue tu peux aussi considerer une carrière dans l'enseignement primaire ou secondaire. Les personnes bilingues sont très recherchées.

Ma soeur habite Calgary et elle prefère l'Alberta mieux que l'Ontario. Mais le cout de vie est tres elevé en Alberta
(*Mes excuses car je ne sais pas faire usage des accents avec mon telephone)

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Akingsqueen: 2:35pm On Nov 30, 2018
No dairy product, meat or food with soil on it. Don't know about others. You can google that.

[quote author=nkay1888 post=73435062][/quote]
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by linuslynx: 3:03pm On Nov 30, 2018
Same thing I did it was very easy and straight forward. I even got the e-ticket earlier than I expected. I thought you've landed already sef.

Newmum0615:
Nope. Their account numbers are listed on their website. I did a transfer to one of them and they sent my ticket via my registrated email. It's a simple process.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 1mole1: 3:07pm On Nov 30, 2018
As a lawyer in Nigeria who wants to go into HR in Canada, will I do some bridging courses there or do I have to get a degree there? Are some online courses I can take while in Nigeria to make it faster instead of waiting till I get there?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by lillie26: 3:26pm On Nov 30, 2018
Are you with ELB?
dkizzy01:
Hi guys

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Natalie27: 4:04pm On Nov 30, 2018
toboy:
Salut mesdames et messieurs . Enchanté de vous rencontrer. Ce n'est pas tout les jours qu'on croise sur des gens qui parlent français dans ce forum cheesy @Thecongo tu habites dans quelle ville?. @ Nathalie. Peut-être que Montréal te plairait. C'est une ville quasiment bilingue. Comme ça, tu auras la chance de travailler dans les deux langues.

Moi, je suis étudiant dans ma dernière année à l'université à Montréal et j'ai de l'angoisse de transitionner en domaine de travail. cheesy
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Natalie27: 4:10pm On Nov 30, 2018
Hahahahah.... quoi de neuf ?
cuteguy201:
Hahahaha.... smiley
C'est bon. Bonjour Madmoiselle Natalie.

(1) (2) (3) ... (450) (451) (452) (453) (454) (455) (456) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.