Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,644 members, 7,816,654 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:35 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (498) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1984340 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (495) (496) (497) (498) (499) (500) (501) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 10:46pm On Dec 29, 2018
ebho:
My Good people of Nairaland, I greet everyone specially. For those that need clerification on anything in Manitoba specifically Winnipeg I will do my best to answer just in case I don't respond on time no vex ooo.
My piece of advice no matter what please don't give up on the pursuit.
Welcome.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 10:50pm On Dec 29, 2018
salford1:
As per the scope of sex/gender (LGBTQ stuffs) and whatever people believe in, It's all about personal choice, aslong as homophobia is taken out of the equation. I have had two gay managers, and they were not different at work from the straight managers I have had. There are kids in my son's class (grade 1) who think that they are girls when they are actually boys - bobrisky levels, and this is at a catholic school. All the kids in his class between age 5 & 6 have all learnt to mind their own business and respect the wishes of others. Just as theCongo mentioned, It's all about mutual respect. Live and let live.

Even your mental health status is respected here. I have heard 2 colleagues discuss their mental disorder status and people are like you are such a wonderful person. In my mind am like e he? It's okay here to be AD.... and all what not.

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 10:58pm On Dec 29, 2018
czaratwork:
I am sorry to say it is not only Nigerians that feel inferior with whites. My former landlady (a Jamaican)who has been in this country for more than 35 years gets jittery when she sees whites. I am like, so she has different treatment for people based on their colour. In my workplace too, one of my ogas from Barbados does the same. A colleague from Jamaica was now telling me that it is because she is from Barbados. That jamaicans don't do that. I just smiled at her as i didn't want to waste my time sharing my experience with my jamaican landlady.

My conclusion is that some blacks feel inferior because of their colour. They make up for being black by giving preferential treatments to the whites. I wish i can share my experience in my workplace here now but time is not ripe for it yet. It is not peculiar to Nigerians and once i notice you treat people differently based on their colour, you will not see me near you.

In addition, this inferiority complex we talk about is not limited to blacks. Asians treat whites differently as well
It's one of the damaging effects of colonization. It's going to take some time to heal.

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by princfred(m): 10:58pm On Dec 29, 2018
salford1:
As per the scope of sex/gender (LGBTQ stuffs) and whatever people believe in, It's all about personal choice, aslong as homophobia is taken out of the equation. I have had two gay managers, and they were not different at work from the straight managers I have had. There are kids in my son's class (grade 1) who think that they are girls when they are actually boys - bobrisky levels, and this is at a catholic school. All the kids in his class between age 5 & 6 have all learnt to mind their own business and respect the wishes of others. Just as theCongo mentioned, It's all about mutual respect. Live and let live.
When this shit hits the fan, hope you will be give out your daughter to gay men for marriage thats if they will interested.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Vizzle4sure: 10:59pm On Dec 29, 2018
Vizzle4sure:
Please any body coming to Vancouver early next year?

Please fam! Anyone coming to *Vancouver* from Nigeria . I need help ����
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 11:08pm On Dec 29, 2018
princfred:
When this shit hits the fan, hope you will be give out your daughter to gay men for marriage thats if they will interested.
You do not even understand what being gay means from your post, or could it be english comprehension?
No where did I mentioned in my post that I support LGBTQ.

However, if you are homophobic, you would be better off staying in Nigeria.

32 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ebho: 11:10pm On Dec 29, 2018
LOTRISH45:
Not me really. I wanted you to break down your journey so far, so that some of our brethren interested in moving towards your end of the country, will have an idea on what to expect.

Well in Manitoba Specifically Winnipeg Life is easy going and people here are very nice they are known as Friendly Manitobans.

I came here with my family so I can only relate to people with families, your kids are entitled to child benefits monthly and if you live below certain annual income you are entitled to Rent assist. There are jobs every where here but if you are selective you might have to wait a while.

That's the generality of it.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 11:10pm On Dec 29, 2018
czaratwork:
I am sorry to say it is not only Nigerians that feel inferior with whites. My former landlady (a Jamaican)who has been in this country for more than 35 years gets jittery when she sees whites. I am like, so she has different treatment for people based on their colour. In my workplace too, one of my ogas from Barbados does the same. A colleague from Jamaica was now telling me that it is because she is from Barbados. That jamaicans don't do that. I just smiled at her as i didn't want to waste my time sharing my experience with my jamaican landlady.

My conclusion is that some blacks feel inferior because of their colour. They make up for being black by giving preferential treatments to the whites. I wish i can share my experience in my workplace here now but time is not ripe for it yet. It is not peculiar to Nigerians and once i notice you treat people differently based on their colour, you will not see me near you.

Please share your experience as I am sure it will help many of us.

By the way, can you please explain how your former landlady and colleague would feel jittery around white people

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by princfred(m): 11:11pm On Dec 29, 2018
salford1:

You do not even understand what being gay means from your post, or could it be english comprehension?
No where did I mentioned in my post that I support LGBTQ.

However, if you are homophobic, you would be better off staying in Nigeria.
What do you think you think being gay implies? Where did you say you dont support it?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ebho: 11:13pm On Dec 29, 2018
ebho:

Well in Manitoba Specifically Winnipeg Life is easy going and people here are very nice they are known as Friendly Manitobans.

I came here with my family so I can only relate to people with families, your kids are entitled to child benefits monthly and if you live below certain annual income you are entitled to Rent assist. There are jobs every where here but if you are selective you might have to wait a while.

Weather Wise we are currently at -20 degrees but feels like -30 degree but this is no issue anymore you get used to it.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 11:17pm On Dec 29, 2018
princfred:
What do you think you think being gay implies? Where did you say you dont support it?

Salford1 was only making a report on LGBTQ without giving his personal opinion

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by princfred(m): 11:25pm On Dec 29, 2018
TheCongo2:

Salford1 was only making a report on LGBTQ without giving his personal opinion
Really? What was she implying then? What was my post then?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 11:31pm On Dec 29, 2018
princfred:
Really? What was she implying then? What was my post then?

This is what he was trying to say:
LGBTQ is a personal choice.
Whether we agree with that or not, we should learn to accept and respect one another.

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by toboy: 11:32pm On Dec 29, 2018
LOTRISH45:
Better. How to get jobs, housing and licensing procedures for regulated profession should in my view form the fulcrum of dicuss here. I wonder why we dissipate energy on weird sexual shit.

I am graduating soon from a Canadian Uni, so, I started looking for jobs recently. Most of my job application thus far are through my university's career website and GC jobs. Not alot of info in the thread applies to individuals who studied here in Canada. However if anyone has info applicable to Fresh graduate in Canada, it will be well appreciated. Housing, I live in Montreal. not alot of Nigerian Skilled immigrant choose Quebec Province because of French Language grin Bonjour! Au revior! Recently, I realized that most of the people around me are young people with similar experience like me. Thus, There is a need to connect with folks that are older and more experienced, and those that I can learn from. Regulated profession, No Idea, havent done such yet! I think its worth it discussing about sexuality and racial oppression because they have influence on us and on those around us, especially in Canada

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by princfred(m): 11:39pm On Dec 29, 2018
TheCongo2:

Whether we agree with that or not, we should learn to accept and respect one another.
What am i trying to say? Btw is doing drugs not a personal choice?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 11:42pm On Dec 29, 2018
TheCongo2:

You need to stop feeding the troll bro. cheesy

27 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by LOTRISH45: 11:42pm On Dec 29, 2018
Oh thanks. Please how much do people doing survival jobs earn per hour in winnipeg, and do such survival jobs require any canadian certification before being considered for employment? if you work in a regulated profession, was it difficult getting license to practice, and do you have any idea if Optometry jobs are easy to come by in Winnipeg?

ebho:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by toboy: 11:43pm On Dec 29, 2018
princfred:
What am i trying to say? Btw is doing drugs not a personal choice?
You have carried another one enter 18 grin , What type of drugs do you mean, recreational drugs or like hard drugs grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by princfred(m): 11:46pm On Dec 29, 2018
toboy:
You have carried another one enter 18 grin , What type of drugs do you mean, recreational drugs or like hard drugs grin
Hard drugs.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ebho: 11:52pm On Dec 29, 2018
LOTRISH45:
Oh thanks. Please how much do people doing survival jobs earn per hour in winnipeg, and do such survival jobs require any canadian certification before being considered for employment? if you work in a regulated profession, was it difficult getting license to practice, and do you have any idea if Optometry jobs are easy to come by in Winnipeg?

It all depends it can start from 12 cad per hour to as much as 32cad dollars per hour.
My profession is regulated but currently in school ut not licensed yet. I will advise you look it up as I don't know much about optometry
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ebho: 11:58pm On Dec 29, 2018
toboy:
I am graduating soon from a Canadian Uni, so, I started looking for jobs recently. Most of my job application thus far are through my university's career website and GC jobs. Not alot of info in the thread applies to individuals who studied here in Canada. However if anyone has info applicable to Fresh graduate in Canada, it will be well appreciated. Housing, I live in Montreal. not alot of Nigerian Skilled immigrant choose Quebec Province because of French Language grin Bonjour! Au revior! Recently, I realized that most of the people around me are young people with similar experience like me. Thus, There is a need to connect with folks that are older and more experienced, and those that I can learn from. Regulated profession, No Idea, havent done such yet! I think its worth it discussing about sexuality and racial oppression because they have influence on us and on those around us, especially in Canada

Does your school have practicum after the program? thats one way to get the skills which will get you the job, you can also try Indeed(search for it on Google)
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by toboy: 12:16am On Dec 30, 2018
ebho:

Does your school have practicum after the program? thats one way to get the skills which will get you the job, you can also try Indeed(search for it on Google)
Yes, My university recently introduces a program like that. But men!! it super competitive with a priority to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. I recently hear of indeed, will try it out. Thank you so much for the suggestion.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by toboy: 12:38am On Dec 30, 2018
princfred:
Hard drugs.
What I have learned from working in a harm reduction affiliated office. People who do recreational drugs are fine as long as they dont drive or operate machines. At this level, i think its still a matter of personal choice. You know! things you can do to chlil alone, with friends or homies around, or spice up that thing. Hard drugs, one the other, are regulated because they distort mental processes and under the influence of such drugs, people can cause grave harm not only to themselves, but also to those around them. Further, cases of hard drugs and their addiction usually stern from underlying problems such as mental health, physical or psychological trauma, loss of loved ones or an opportunity that make people hopeless and lure people into drugs. This period, I think it has gone beyond an informed personal choice. its more or less an escape from something.
What they thought us about harm reduction (which I am still trying to wrap my head around) is that people who are committed to taking drugs for various reason will find ways to do drugs. It might be better off not stigmatizing them into hiding (For instance, by mere telling such people you don't approve their choices will make them keep to themselves.). As such, they will be willing to open up about their underlying problems and get the right help they need.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Jesusbabie: 1:20am On Dec 30, 2018
Hello Seniors,

Please don't skip my questions below. Kindly help abeg. Thank you.

Good evening all.
@Salford, @TheCongo @maternal @pepe1 @blackbuddy and everyone living in Alberta.
Could you please enlighten me on the possibility of getting a good job in Alberta, Fort McMurray, GP and the likes. I would love to work on the oilsand in the laboratory and fields. I have a MSc in Analytical chemistry and would like to continue my career in science. Any prospect in moving to Alberta? Is there any certification or courses I need to take to get my feet on ground. Your kind advise would be appreciated. Thank you all.[/quote]
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 1:48am On Dec 30, 2018
Jesusbabie:
Hello Seniors,

Please don't skip my questions below. Kindly help abeg. Thank you.

Good evening all.
@Salford, @TheCongo @maternal @pepe1 @blackbuddy and everyone living in Alberta.
Could you please enlighten me on the possibility of getting a good job in Alberta, Fort McMurray, GP and the likes. I would love to work on the oilsand in the laboratory and fields. I have a MSc in Analytical chemistry and would like to continue my career in science. Any prospect in moving to Alberta? Is there any certification or courses I need to take to get my feet on ground. Your kind advise would be appreciated. Thank you all.
Do you currently work in an oil related profession, or are there any other reasons why you are restricting yourself to ft mc? I just googled chemist/fort McMurray on indeed, and there were only 2 results.
You do not need to restrict yourself to a single location in Canada. You would realize when you land that STEM related jobs are often scattered all over Canada; therefore, your desired job might even be in a different location far from Ft Mc. You need to have an open mind. I do not know if you will be required to take any certification or courses to practice as a Chemist, but you can start check out the link below for Chemist related jobs and career paths in Alta.

https://alis.alberta.ca/occinfo/occupations-in-alberta/occupation-profiles/chemist/

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Jesusbabie: 2:02am On Dec 30, 2018
Thank you very much for your response. I just landed here in Ontario. Just trying to see if there are more opportunities over there.

Do you currently work in an oil related profession, or are there any other reasons why you are restricting yourself to ft mc? I just googled chemist/fort McMurray on indeed, and there were only 2 results.
You do not need to restrict yourself to a single location in Canada. You would realize when you land that STEM related jobs are often scattered all over Canada; therefore, your desired job might even be in a different location far from Ft Mc. You need to have an open mind. I do not know if you will be required to take any certification or courses to practice as a Chemist, but you can start check out the link below for Chemist related jobs and career paths in Alta.

https://alis.alberta.ca/occinfo/occupations-in-alberta/occupation-profiles/chemist/[/quote]
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jelmusboy(m): 2:07am On Dec 30, 2018
My village after snowing

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 2:08am On Dec 30, 2018
Jesusbabie:
Thank you very much for your response. I just landed here in Ontario. Just trying to see if there are more opportunities over there.

Connect with "ferfer" by sending him pm. He is a chemist too and got a job with a very reputable company in BC not long after landing.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 2:13am On Dec 30, 2018
jelmusboy:
My village after snowing
I dey hail you Edmontonian bros.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Jesusbabie: 2:22am On Dec 30, 2018
Alright, thank you very much. I'll do just that.

quote author=salford1 post=74283963]
Connect with "ferfer" by sending him pm. He is a chemist too and got a job with a very reputable company in BC not long after landing.[/quote]
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ninichinny: 2:28am On Dec 30, 2018
Edmonton things
jelmusboy:
My village after snowing
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jelmusboy(m): 2:31am On Dec 30, 2018
Boss of life, I hail ooo. I never see Christmas isi-ewu from your side

salford1:

I dey hail you Edmontonian bros.

(1) (2) (3) ... (495) (496) (497) (498) (499) (500) (501) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.