Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,270 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:02 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (496) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1980634 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (493) (494) (495) (496) (497) (498) (499) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sawatee: 3:03am On Dec 29, 2018
@Salford

Please, I sent you a PM. Please respond. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sawatee: 3:16am On Dec 29, 2018
@Blackbuddy

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Gregeal: 3:20am On Dec 29, 2018
Good day seniors,

just a quick one.
Should I buy a private health insurance before landing in Ontario? If yes, where can I buy?
If no, how do I go about the health insurance stuff in Ontario for the first 3 months?

kindly assist with answers .
thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by StKizito2: 3:37am On Dec 29, 2018
hope22today:
Please how do you deal with a man that is making life unbearable for you.how is the Seperation process here

I know how it works in some European countries having lived there for some years but not sure how it works here.

Some men are just so horrible to live with
Employ the services of a lawyer

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Godbpraised: 4:03am On Dec 29, 2018
Hmmm, i have read carefully the comments of noble men and women on this forum, honestly i respect everyone's view, however please permit me to share my views about Canada and the view about the role of man and woman in Canada as well as accepting the Canadian culture, also permit me to discuss first who qualifies in my views and opinion who should be aiming to stay in canada, at least i have been in canada for 1 year and three months. Firstly
People who should not bother to come to Canada.
1. If you are married in Nigeria and have been beating your wife or abusing her, please do not come to canada, else the woman would deal with you.
2. if you are not willing to submit to ur wife, men guy forget Canada. This is because when you land the canada the very day you land, you as the man becomes the woman and the woman becomes the man.
3 If you like to chase babes and you are married, omo Canada is not for you, becos in Canada women have more rights, them go divorce u like sheet, u go dey pay child support and wife support too. Also marriages crumble here easily because most cities like Calgary and Winnipeg, as well as Alberta are small in population every body knows every one so their is room for gossiping and backbiting, you can be sure that you deeds would be blown open easily
4. If you like to drink beer and social life omo, this place dey dull like crazy. i would suggest you sit down in Nigeria, if you get drunk here and you are driving drunk if police catch you omo u would find yourself immediately in Nigeria.
5. Be ready to do the dirty jobs at least in the first three months when you land, some are luck to get the job of their choice immediately.

Accepting the Canadian culture.
In as much i like the way Canada is been run, working roads, light, good governance, honestly i do not enjoy certain things about Canada, that is the individualism, this is seen even in the lives of our youth, my people kids who are not up to 18 years, start misbehaving all becos of the individualistic nature of the environment, when i was a kid my mother beat hell out of me if i misbehave, my dad slapped me if i misbehaved. Also i have also studied with great pain how "Nigerians" here drop their culture just becos they want to align with the Canadian culture that those not teach morals or even inculcate them, the Indians and other African countries teach their children morals interestingly.
The role of man and woman in Canada
Honestly again i do not want to take sides with a man, but ladies and gentlemen, let me ask you a question before you dump your man ask yourself what future do u want to give your kids, let me tell you about my jist, i met a woman she was married, she complained about her husband a lot, and she has divorced her husband, the woman in question wanted to sleep with me, Jesus i was so scared i just run away from her coz i know want wahala, this is a woman who has 2 kids, guys again its all part of adopting the Canadian culture, well ladies and gentlemen you see the madness here. so guys please while we are in Canada, we should not forget who we are or where we are coming from, else you would just loose your identity. I would encourage we support each other as couples, lets work as a team. I wash plates. i also bring a certain amount of money to pay for bills in the house. Guys and ladies as much as it lies in your power lets keep a family bond. I was shocked to read someone saying here when she comes to Canada she would dump her husband, well i have not heard the other side of the story in the case, but if it turns out that the man is not guilty hmmm, the presence of God is everywhere God is the orchestrator of marriage not the Canadian law ooo. I rest my case.

68 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 5:44am On Dec 29, 2018
mikedimeji:
@blackbuddy compliment of the season boss man. Please I need to discuss few important things with you at your convenience.
fmofmk8588@gmail.com

Hi, you can send me a private message whenever its convenient for you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 5:52am On Dec 29, 2018
sawatee:
@Blackbuddy

Just responded to your PM, cheers.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Peaceful2016(f): 5:52am On Dec 29, 2018
ottawasenators:
How do you book flight via Egypt air? cos cant seem to get that done on their site

have to visit their office or something?

Use any travel booking site Jumia travel, travelstart, etc

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 5:54am On Dec 29, 2018
Gregeal:
Good day seniors,

just a quick one.
Should I buy a private health insurance before landing in Ontario? If yes, where can I buy?
If no, how do I go about the health insurance stuff in Ontario for the first 3 months?

kindly assist with answers .
thank you.

I don't know about health insurance. I didn't purchase one before i came because i thought that since i hadly fall sick, i will not be needing one. Unfortunately for me some days to my health card being due, i fell sick. I went to a nearby shoppers drugmart for flushot, they asked for my health card which i hadn't received. I just got some drugs and went home. I ended up not taking those drugs though.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Jesusbabie: 6:00am On Dec 29, 2018
Good evening all.
@Salford, @TheCongo @maternal @pepe1 @blackbuddy and everyone living in Alberta.
Could you please enlighten me on the possibility of getting a good job in Alberta, Fort McMurray, GP and the likes. I would love to work on the oilsand in the laboratory and fields. I have a MSc in Analytical chemistry and would like to continue my career in science. Any prospect in moving to Alberta? Is there any certification or courses I need to take to get my feet on ground. Your kind advise would be appreciated. Thank you all.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Harmokhey: 6:12am On Dec 29, 2018
Well said especially the aspect of chasing babe, divorce is awaiting them, they go learn.
Godbpraised:
Hmmm, i have read carefully the comments of noble men and women on this forum, honestly i respect everyone's view, however please permit me to share my views about Canada and the view about the role of man and woman in Canada as well as accepting the Canadian culture, also permit me to discuss first who qualifies in my views and opinion who should be aiming to stay in canada, at least i have been in canada for 1 year and three months. Firstly
1. If you are married in Nigeria and have been beating your wife or abusing her, please do not come to canada, else the woman would deal with you.
2. if you are not willing to submit to ur wife, men guy forget Canada. This is because when you land the canada the very day you land, you as the man becomes the woman and the woman becomes the man.
3 If you like to chase babes and you are married, omo Canada is not for you, becos in Canada women have more rights, them go divorce u like sheet, u go dey pay child support and wife support too. Also marriages crumble here easily because most cities like Calgary and Winnipeg, as well as Alberta are small in population every body knows every one so their is room for gossiping and backbiting, you can be sure that you deeds would be blown open easily
4. If you like to drink beer and social life omo, this place dey dull like crazy. i would suggest you sit down in Nigeria, if you get drunk here and you are driving drunk if police catch you omo u would find yourself immediately in Nigeria.
5. Be ready to do the dirty jobs at least in the first three months when you land, some are luck to get the job of their choice immediately.

In as much i like the way Canada is been run, working roads, light, good governance, honestly i do not enjoy certain things about Canada, that is the individualism, this is seen even in the lives of our youth, my people kids who are not up to 18 years, start misbehaving all becos of the individualistic nature of the environment, when i was a kid my mother beat hell out of me if i misbehave, my dad slapped me if i misbehaved. Also i have also studied with great pain how "Nigerians" here drop their culture just becos they want to align with the Canadian culture that those not teach morals or even inculcate them, the Indians and other African countries teach their children morals interestingly.
Honestly again i do not want to take sides with a man, but ladies and gentlemen, let me ask you a question before you dump your man ask yourself what future do u want to give your kids, let me tell you about my jist, i met a woman she was married, she complained about her husband a lot, and she has divorced her husband, the woman in question wanted to sleep with me, Jesus i was so scared i just run away from her coz i know want wahala, this is a woman who has 2 kids, guys again its all part of adopting the Canadian culture, well ladies and gentlemen you see the madness here. so guys please while we are in Canada, we should not forget who we are or where we are coming from, else you would just loose your identity. I would encourage we support each other as couples, lets work as a team. I wash plates. i also bring a certain amount of money to pay for bills in the house. Guys and ladies as much as it lies in your power lets keep a family bond. I was shocked to read someone saying here when she comes to Canada she would dump her husband, well i have not heard the other side of the story in the case, but if it turns out that the man is not guilty hmmm, the presence of God is everywhere God is the orchestrator of marriage not the Canadian law ooo. I rest my case.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mikedimeji(m): 7:02am On Dec 29, 2018
Blackbuddy:

Hi, you can send me a private message whenever its convenient for you.
I’ve done that twice.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by slydog(m): 7:44am On Dec 29, 2018
rosepetraa:

Though, you asked Salford but EE is going to be easy peasy for you. All you need is getting 8777: LWRS in IELTS and I'm sure it's something you can do as getting a PhD isn't child's play.

I computed your points based on the stats you dropped and assumed a IELTS score of 8777 ; you got a whopping 479

Thank you petra, just that I'm new to ielts... I guess I HV to study very well for it.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by slydog(m): 7:50am On Dec 29, 2018
salford:

Sask i okay.
I have probably met your uncle twice or thrice in Calgary (i.e.if he worked as an Engineer for GE Nigeria before migrating, then he is likely the one).

I am not sure of how pnp works in sask, it may be occupation based if you did not study here, so you might be left with just EE. With a PhD and a good IELTS result, you should easily meet the cut-offs for EE. It's better to check the EE and provincial nominee threads on Nairaland to get the best answer.

https://www.nairaland.com/4180147/all-canadian-provincial-nominee-programs

https://www.nairaland.com/2426588/preparing-ielts-get-here

https://www.nairaland.com/4843199/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled

As per Phd eco, You would likely be over qualified for most bank jobs in Sask. Most banks here are retail/branch banking. You would get a retail banking job but likely going to be underpaid for your level of education. Howevr, there are a few consultancies in Regina that would gladly have someone with a Phd Eco on board, and I have also seen a few Sask Gov vacancies asking for a PhD in Economics. Gov or consultancies would offer you a wage which is commensurate with your level of education. There would be more opportunities for Economists with your level of education in Alberta, especially in Edmonton which is where most Gov of Alberta jobs are located, but you also have more applicants competing for the same job. You can land in any of the two provinces and apply to jobs in both. Whichever one gives you an offer would determine where to eventually stay.

Thank you Salford. He worked in Halliburton here in Nigeria for over 15 years before leaving to Alberta.
Now since we don't HV the same surname, can I still use him as a sponsor?
I can also decide to get my MSC degree verified against my PhD right?
I guess I HV to settle down to write ielts and pass it good.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Godisincontrol: 8:21am On Dec 29, 2018
ottawasenators:
How do you book flight via Egypt air? cos cant seem to get that done on their site

Use your PC, Tab or Laptop. If you are using a phone change your settings on their page to desktop site.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Influential101: 9:13am On Dec 29, 2018
slydog:

Thank you Salford. He worked in Halliburton here in Nigeria for over 15 years before leaving to Alberta.
Now since we don't HV the same surname, can I still use him as a sponsor?
I can also decide to get my MSC degree verified against my PhD right?
I guess I HV to settle down to write ielts and pass it good.
Sponsor for what? Providing you with proof of funds I guess? No issues with that since he's a relative.

Please follow the EE route, it's a very straightforward process. even if you decide to evaluate only your masters, your score will still be sufficient to get ITA since you're 30. Begin the evaluation of your masters/PHd while studying for IELTS simultaneously. All you need is 8777 and I believe you can make it in one sitting, don't be scared.

Provincial nomination is a more complicated process.

I wish you the best.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by slydog(m): 10:11am On Dec 29, 2018
Influential101:
Sponsor for what? Providing you with proof of funds I guess? No issues with that since he's a relative.

Please follow the EE route, it's a very straightforward process. even if you decide to evaluate only your masters, your score will still be sufficient to get ITA since you're 30. Begin the evaluation of your masters/PHd while studying for IELTS simultaneously. All you need is 8777 and I believe you can make it in one sitting, don't be scared.

Provincial nomination is a more complicated process.

I wish you the best.

Thanks for your advice. I will follow it
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 11:02am On Dec 29, 2018
Godbpraised:

In as much i like the way Canada is been run, working roads, light, good governance, honestly i do not enjoy certain things about Canada, that is the individualism, this is seen even in the lives of our youth, my people kids who are not up to 18 years, start misbehaving all becos of the individualistic nature of the environment, when i was a kid my mother beat hell out of me if i misbehave, my dad slapped me if i misbehaved.

Also i have also studied with great pain how "Nigerians" here drop their culture just becos they want to align with the Canadian culture

that those not teach morals or even inculcate them, the Indians and other African countries teach their children morals interestingly.

I separated a portion of your text. That is their way of life (and they have laws guiding such) So when in Rome do like the Romans.

Stop being pained Sir, you can always move back to Nigeria PERMANENTLY if you want.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DBJay: 11:06am On Dec 29, 2018
Theokleia:

Wow pls I sent you a mail, what’d u use to study, are you applying as unmarried. I’m envying your timeline

I didn't get your pm @Theokleia. But I used resources on ieltsonline.com & edx.org for my IELTS. Cheers!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by KINGTELLER: 11:19am On Dec 29, 2018
greyham:

I separated a portion of your text. That is their way of life (and they have laws guiding such) So when in Rome do like the Romans.

Stop being pained Sir, you can always move back to Nigeria PERMANENTLY if you want.

Hey its an advice he gave, u don't need to be rude with your remark

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by cheromel: 11:25am On Dec 29, 2018
czaratwork:

It's all part of living in Canada. People get to know what lies ahead of them by reading what is here. I am for anything that will make integration here easy and i jump and pass what does not relate to me. Let's not stiffle peoples' comments.

Some things i have learnt the hard way because no one got to share them here.

Ok noted!

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ottawasenators: 11:59am On Dec 29, 2018
Yea using a laptop, but i notice that i'm not able to select airport of origin as well as that of destination. The drop down menu doesn't populate

Godisincontrol:

Use your PC, Tab or Laptop. If you are using a phone change your settings on their page to desktop site.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 12:28pm On Dec 29, 2018
I bought dollars into my Dollar account and paid using my card. Best you visit their office

ottawasenators:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 12:29pm On Dec 29, 2018
Did you change location/country to worldwide? Check the top menu options

ottawasenators:
Yea using a laptop, but i notice that i'm not able to select airport of origin as well as that of destination. The drop down menu doesn't populate

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 12:33pm On Dec 29, 2018
I am definitely sure you would ace IELTS in a sitting. It's not like school exam. Check out ieltsliz on youtube. The key is to practice and practice some more

slydog:

Thank you petra, just that I'm new to ielts... I guess I HV to study very well for it.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ottawasenators: 12:54pm On Dec 29, 2018
Spot on! Selecting the country options to world wide did the trick. Thanks

rainazoe:
Did you change location/country to worldwide? Check the top menu options

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 12:55pm On Dec 29, 2018
greyham:

Like he said, indians here are fast turning into one of the most successful immigrant group and walahi them no send that when in rome talk. Inshort in some parts of the GTA, if you no be indian to see house rent go hard you small. Even for my work, remain small make i dey learn punjabi because those guys no just send, to them na colony dem come form here not the other way round. They are quietly dominating and still keeping their culture. Heck check the federal cabinet sef, they are there, even wearing their turban despite the fact that some were born and raised in Canada!

It's not in my place to dictate what culture to retain or adopt; who to associate with, and I am not even saying if its right or wrong to... But one thing I have come to notice and I am very certain of is that Nigerians generally have an inferiority complex, one that is unrivaled by other nationalities. To most of us, anything white is right and everything african is dumb... We dont even bother to evaluate it based on its merits and demerits. Its much like how in Nigeria once you are white skinned, you are automatically an expatriate and an authority in whatever field you fancy, even if you are the dumbest being that ever walked the earth.

Canada is a developed country, true but it has a plethora of issues too, every country does... And I have met Caucasians here that even the teenage me had more sense than. But y'all fancy arguments based on authority rather than merits.

Its a personal choice what culture to uphold, heck one can choose to even renounce their nigerian citizenship too... but do not make it seem like one can not retain his culture(at least the good part or what seems more reasonable than the canadian and isnt in conflict with the law) and at the same time enjoy the best Canada has to offer, and still go on to offer your best to Canada too. It is not wise to argue or suggest that. Waves of immigration has occurred in different parts of the world in past centuries and there are an abundance of examples were the immigrants didnt "do like the romans" or had to return home as a result. when the immigrants were Caucasians the reverse was often the case. Heck till date white south africans have done almost nothing to integrate!

81 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 1:39pm On Dec 29, 2018
Glad to help!

ottawasenators:
Spot on! Selecting the country options to world wide did the trick. Thanks

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 2:16pm On Dec 29, 2018
...well said sir!

einsteino:

Like he said, indians here are fast turning into one of the most successful immigrant group and walahi them no send that when in rome talk. Inshort in some parts of the GTA, if you no be indian to see house rent go hard you small. Even for my work, remain small make i dey learn punjabi because those guys no just send, to them na colony dem come form here not the other way round. They are quietly dominating and still keeping their culture. Heck check the federal cabinet sef, they are there, even wearing their turban despite the fact that some were born and raised in Canada!

It's not in my place to dictate what culture to retain or adopt; who to associate with, and I am not even saying if its right or wrong to... But one thing I have come to notice and I am very certain of is that Nigerians generally have an inferiority complex, one that is unrivaled by other nationalities. To most of us, anything white is right and everything african is dumb... We dont even bother to evaluate it based on its merits and demerits. Its much like how in Nigeria once you are white skinned, you are automatically an expatriate and an authority in whatever field you fancy, even if you are the dumbest being that ever walked the earth.

Canada is a developed country, true but it has a plethora of issues too, every country does... And I have met Caucasians here that even the teenage me had more sense than. But y'all fancy arguments based on authority rather than merits.

Its a personal choice what culture to uphold, heck one can choose to even renounce their nigerian citizenship too... but do not make it seem like one can not retain his culture(at least the good part or what seems more reasonable than the canadian and isnt in conflict with the law) and at the same time enjoy the best Canada has to offer, and still go on to offer your best to Canada too. It is not wise to argue or suggest that. Waves of immigration has occurred in different parts of the world in past centuries and there are an abundance of examples were the immigrants didnt "do like the romans" or had to return home as a result. when the immigrants were Caucasians the reverse was often the case. Heck till date white south africans have done almost nothing to integrate!

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 2:22pm On Dec 29, 2018
einsteino:

Its a personal choice what culture to uphold, heck one can choose to even renounce their nigerian citizenship too... but do not make it seem like one can not retain his culture(at least the good part or what seems more reasonable than the canadian and isnt in conflict with the law) and at the same time enjoy the best Canada has to offer, and still go on to offer your best to Canada too. It is not wise to argue or suggest that. Waves of immigration has occurred in different parts of the world in past centuries and there are an abundance of examples were the immigrants didnt "do like the romans" or had to return home as a result. when the immigrants were Caucasians the reverse was often the case. Heck till date white south africans have done almost nothing to integrate !

I have been saying this for ages.
When people say if you don't like something about Canada you are free to leave, this is pure racism given that it only applies to visible minorities.
Some people expect minorities to integrate or adjust into the "Canadian culture" which to my opinion doesn't exist given that Canada is a melting pot of different cultures.
However, when it comes to white people, when they don't like something they have the right to voice their opinion and seek change so that the system can fit into their way of life.
The most tragic thing is that some minority like @Greyam are buying this microaggression suggesting Canada is for white only and any non-white is a second class citizen

@Greyman, Canada is a country that prones for equal rights. I believe telling someone to return to Nigeria for voicing is opinion is discrimination given that you will never say the same thing to a caucasian. You are the one who is not abiding by the Canadian way by discriminating against a group of people that is protected by the Canadian constitution.
Freedom of speech and opinion is a fundamental right of every Canadian and not just for white people.
If you don't like it, there's nothing you can do.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Godbpraised: 3:32pm On Dec 29, 2018
greyham:

I have chosen not to respond to your comments as i see that noble and intelligent people have responded to your comments sir or Ma.

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Godsfavouredone: 4:42pm On Dec 29, 2018
[quote author=jelmusboy post=74161457]Merry Christmas people

Just a quick one. Do I need to submit WAEC/NECO result if I want to upgrade my ECA report to Course-by-Course evaluation for licensure purpose?

Based on my experience with WES I will say No.i applied for an upgrade about 2wks ago, it initial showed I had to resubmit all documents including WAEC that was not a requirement initially. After about few days they were reviewing my documents then I was not required to do a thing. Few days ago I was sent a msg that my upgrade will be completed 1/1/2019. I hope this helps others can chip in.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (493) (494) (495) (496) (497) (498) (499) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.