Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,098 members, 7,828,840 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:54 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (57) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1993977 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 10:43am On Aug 22, 2017
Wura27:

Thanks for the useful answer even though i wasn't the one that asked.

Please bear in mind that a simple research for best city for ..... would produce an abstract answer and a non-resident would not know about workapolis or indeed.ca which is why we have this group.

Maybe the asker question should have been "where can I search for HR/Nursing/Engr. jobs"
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 40manlappy: 11:09am On Aug 22, 2017
Nice discussion going on here. Thumbs up to @salford1 @honey86 @vcole @TheCongo2 and others

Keep it coming guys! smiley

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 12:13pm On Aug 22, 2017
shocked shocked

Thanks to all those contributing and answering our "silly questions" without complaining

Ballerz:

Maybe the asker question should have been "where can I search for HR/Nursing/Engr. jobs"

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by HTC2017: 12:18pm On Aug 22, 2017
Any reviews on Egypt Air as it seems to be the cheapest airline so far?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CanadianNurse: 12:41pm On Aug 22, 2017
HTC2017:
Any reviews on Egypt Air as it seems to be the cheapest airline so far?

is it cheaper than royal air maroc?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by HTC2017: 12:45pm On Aug 22, 2017
Most of the searches don't return Royal Air Maroc.

After Egypt Air, next is Turkish airlines - at least from my findings. But reviews on Egypt Air are needed prior to decision making.

CanadianNurse:
is it cheaper than royal air maroc?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 12:56pm On Aug 22, 2017
Ballerz:

Lol. This question is actually the "dumb" question. When there's Google

The poster's first question was very much valid. I don't see anything with asking what city favors a particular field, it helps one narrow the search. The sites you mentioned, indeed etc. also ask for city of preference....so the poster asked a very valid question to help narrow their search.

11 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 1:01pm On Aug 22, 2017
Thanks guys for the discussion on real estate; buying vs. renting. Very informative, please let's have more discussions like this. These are what we actually need to know before hand.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CanadianNurse: 1:01pm On Aug 22, 2017
HTC2017:

After Egypt Air, next is Turkish airlines - at least from my findings. But reviews on Egypt Air are needed prior to decision making.

no problem then.. But I know that all airlines have good and bad reviews... Once it suits you and your convenience go for it
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 1:06pm On Aug 22, 2017
HTC2017:

I can give my 2 cents on Egypt Air as I have flown them from Canada to Abuja before. And my advice is RUN! Especially if you'll be traveling with kids. There are no IFEs to start with, so be prepared to entertain your kids for that long ass journey. Then if y'all transit through Cairo, OYO is your name. Nothing to do at the airport but to walk to your gate and wait it out. Addis Ababa is much better sef.
However, if you really don't care for comfort on this journey because you are leaving for good and to hell with Naija grin then go with them.

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 1:20pm On Aug 22, 2017
Canadianfly:

Lol. This question is actually the "dumb" question. When there's Google

The poster's first question was very much valid. I don't see anything with asking what city favors a particular field, it helps one narrow the search. The sites you mentioned, indeed etc. also ask for city of preference....so the poster asked a very valid question to help narrow their search.

Laughs
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 1:55pm On Aug 22, 2017
dacoza007:

Bro, I saw the same offer weeks back, I know of people who did it, went to do affidavit, did police character report, and medical test in Abuja.... one of those who failed the medical got back his money in full, he had hepatitis , got his passport 2 weeks after.... I was worried because the requirements are simple, minimum of o level, n am also confused because they returned d money after writing a letter, n got dr passport afterwards, can u pls help confirm if companies in canada employ foreigners ,getting them LMIA with 2years contract. the job are menial, waiter n fish parker....i want to b certain before I go for it, pls help a brother struggling

Hi, I'm still waiting for the names of these companies but I would advise that you be careful please. Canada is not a bed of roses as you may have read being explained here by some persons. While the government is trying to bring in more experienced, skilled hands, there is also a large population already here who still don't have jobs. It's not because they are not looking for work but have not been able to stay above the competition or sell themselves the right way to land a good role. And we have thousands of qualified people here, some of whom you may know as family members or friends struggling to find work or better job opportunities.

So when somebody is now saying he wants to give you in Nigeria a Canadian job over all the people who are already here legally, willing and able to work, I would advice caution. It is a lengthy and expensive process to process LMIA it is not just for any menial job as you stated. Also just as people get rejected for PR application so also does LMIA application from employers get rejected. So what's the guarantee of success and who foots the bills if the process fails? Who are the employers these agents are representing and why this off shore recruitment? Ask yourself, why would these so called agents appear to overlook landed people with papers to offer you who is thousands of miles away a job when one doesn't already have any papers? Like we say, shine your eyes please.

14 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by HTC2017: 2:03pm On Aug 22, 2017
Wow! This is enlightening.

Canadianfly:

I can give my 2 cents on Egypt Air as I have flown them from Canada to Abuja before. And my advice is RUN! Especially if you'll be traveling with kids. There are no IFEs to start with, so be prepared to entertain your kids for that long ass journey. Then if y'all transit through Cairo, OYO is your name. Nothing to do at the airport but to walk to your gate and wait it out. Addis Ababa is much better sef.
However, if you really don't care for comfort on this journey because you are leaving for good and to hell with Naija grin then go with them.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ehrnie: 2:13pm On Aug 22, 2017
Hi All - I have a (silly) question cheesy

So, if one is travelling to Calgary but has two stopovers one of which is in Vancouver. Where will the person meet the Immigration Officer who will conduct clearance + take all documentation? Vancouver or Calgary? If Vancouver, can the person give a Calgary address to post the PR card to?

Note that the Vancouver to Calgary journey is via Air Canada (i.e. the 1st airline partners with Air Canada).

I have asked google, but still need to be double sure.

Many thanks...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ekpekus(m): 2:49pm On Aug 22, 2017
Ehrnie:
Hi All - I have a (silly) question cheesy

So, if one is travelling to Calgary but has two stopovers one of which is in Vancouver. Where will the person meet the Immigration Officer who will conduct clearance + take all documentation? Vancouver or Calgary? If Vancouver, can the person give a Calgary address to post the PR card to?

Note that the Vancouver to Calgary journey is via Air Canada (i.e. the 1st airline partners with Air Canada).

I have asked google, but still need to be double sure.

Many thanks...
You do your documentation and landing process in Vancouver but give your Calgary address for your PR to be posted.
I hope this helps

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ehrnie: 3:01pm On Aug 22, 2017
Ekpekus:

You do your documentation and landing process in Vancouver but give your Calgary address for your PR to be posted.
I hope this helps

It sure does brov! Many thanks.

One last thing though - I've got a 1hr30mins layover between Vancouver and Calgary. Will this be sufficient for the landing process, as I don't want to miss my Calgary flight?

Many thanks,
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ekpekus(m): 3:05pm On Aug 22, 2017
Ehrnie:

One last thing though - I've got a 1hr30mins layover between Vancouver and Calgary. Will this be sufficient for the landing process, as I don't want to miss my Calgary flight?

Many thanks,
It should be sufficient all things being equal..
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dupyshoo: 3:11pm On Aug 22, 2017
Although I am not yet in Canada, I stand to disagree with you. House prices can go up or down due to several factors. One of which is recession. High interest rate can also make house demand to go down which will likely lead to low price.

I have seen people with negative equity on their property even after years of buying the house.

I however think if you have enough money for deposit, still have a lot of money to survive and good & stable job, why not?

The question I however have is without a stable income, will you get a lender to give you the loan required to buy the house? Please I will appreciate it if someone can answer my question

TheCongo2:

Incorrect. The price of a house would always go UP and never down unless there is a recession which is very rare.
Having a property is the best investment anyone can ever had.

A house you buy today will be 5 years OLD in 5 year, but would cost $50.000 to $100.000 more in 5 year market.
The more you wait to buy a house, the more expensive houses will get.

The common factor among most of the people who buy houses is the following sentence "if I knew then what I know now"
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 3:16pm On Aug 22, 2017
Ehrnie:

Many thanks,

I think 1.5hours is kinda short. Considering you will need sometime for landing formalities. Could take awhile if there are other flights landing same time as yours. You will also need sometime to clear agric.

I would advise you book ticket with longer wait time in Van.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dupyshoo: 3:21pm On Aug 22, 2017
I kinda agree with you. Buying a house might not necessarily be the smarter option. You have to count the cost and weigh all options.

Blingyrie:

From my small finanacial knowledge, if you both had d same start off (down payment you made) and are making independent mortgage and rent payments of 1600 monthly, your sister would have a humble profit too by now. Example:
Your down payment is 20k
Her start off is 20k
Investment portfolio @3% from 2013-2017 20,200. This looks small abi? Ok now consider this:
D 275k is devoid of d other fees which u didn't enumerate; thus it would add to d over all increment in the house cost. Pls recall that there is also a service charge taken directly from sale of the property. At the end of all d calculations, u wud make a profit but not overly significant as d400-275= 125 profit.
Now, what would your sister have gained for this period?? So apart from her lil nest of safe heaven, she would have had d time to upgrade her skills/qualifications towards getting a gud job. She may have changed provinces for a better job and wouldn't need to bother about d new house she just bought. By sheer dedication, prudence and dogmanship, she would have landed herself her true Canadian dream, well on the way to citizenship in 3yrs. When she has arrived with oga, she can then take her time to decide d best fit community for them to settle for d next decade or so.
Personally, we have decided to rent for d first 2-3yrs to fetch us d much needed time for assimilation n sieving through choices, while investing our nest in an investment portfolio. Thereafter, I will buy surely, for d kids future.
Just ma opinion tho wink

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dupyshoo: 3:24pm On Aug 22, 2017
That's true. It took us over 2 hours to get everything done at Toronto airport.

SlowlybtSurely:

I think 1.5hours is kinda short. Considering you will need sometime for landing formalities. Could take awhile if there are other flights landing same time as yours. You will also need sometime to clear agric.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 3:25pm On Aug 22, 2017
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 3:27pm On Aug 22, 2017
dupyshoo:

The question I however have is without a stable income, will you get a lender to give you the loan required to buy the house? Please I will appreciate it if someone can answer my question

Yes .. like is said, credit is quite cheap in canada...I dont know of any country in Europe for example that would give you a credit card after landing. When i was in the UK, it took almost two years to get a CC of £500 despite working in a stable job with a bank.

As a reulsult of that, alot of indian mortgage advisors can help you get the mortgage approved by playing around with safety net put in place. They want to meet their targets and get rewarded cool bonuses too. Some Nigerian agents would arrange the bank to go to and who to talk to. They also likely tell you yo bring in a co signer/gurantor to reduce their exposure(risk).

Also, lets assume you come clean and go the right route, your bank might not really know much of the stability of your job. You are the one that really knowz whats up.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dupyshoo: 3:28pm On Aug 22, 2017
That is really interesting. You can never get that luxury in the UK. I am sure they will be repossessing a lot of homes.

You are right. I got a lot of rejections before i was able to get a high APR (59.99%) credit card. Once you get through the first hurdle, it becomes easier though.

salford1:

Yes .. like is said, credit is quite cheap in canada...I dont know of any country in Europe for example that would give you a credit card after landing. When i was in the UK, it took almost two years to get a CC of £500 despite working in a stable job with a bank.

As a reulsult of that, alot of indian mortgage advisors can help you get the mortgage approved by playing around with safety net put in place. They want to meet their targets and get rewarded cool bonuses too. Some Nigerian agents would arrange the bank to go to and who to talk to. They also likely tell you yo bring in a co signer/gurantor to reduce their exposure(risk).

Also, lets assume you come clean and go the right route, your bank might not really know much of the stability of your job. You are the one that really knowz whats up.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 3:30pm On Aug 22, 2017
dupyshoo:
That is really interesting. You can never get that luxury in the UK. I am sure they will be repossessing a lot of homes.

oh yes. Not long ago in Calgary, over 500 houses were been sold on a weekly basis.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ehrnie: 3:32pm On Aug 22, 2017
Ekpekus:

It should be sufficient all things being equal..

Thanks!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dupyshoo: 3:33pm On Aug 22, 2017
Thanks so much for this info. We were thinking of selling our house in the UK to buy one in Canada. I think that might not be necessary as just £15k savings will buy a house in Canada without stable income grin

salford1:

oh yes. Not long ago in Calgary, over 500 houses were been sold on a weekly basis.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 3:35pm On Aug 22, 2017
dupyshoo:
Thanks so much for this info. We were thinking of selling our house in the UK to buy one in Canada. I think that might not be necessary as just £15k savings will buy a house in Canada without stable income grin

What happens to the UK house/mortgage if you move to Canada without selling it?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dupyshoo: 3:39pm On Aug 22, 2017
We will rent it out and use part of the rent to pay mortgage. The rest will be used to pay part of Canada mortgage.
SlowlybtSurely:

What happens to the UK house/mortgage if you move to Canada without selling it?

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ehrnie: 3:40pm On Aug 22, 2017
SlowlybtSurely:

Many thanks @slowlybtsurely @dupyshoo - I should have probably asked this question before clicking on the "book flight" button cheesy . I can only pray that the 1.5 hours is sufficient since i'm the only one travelling.

Thanks!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dupyshoo: 3:43pm On Aug 22, 2017
I pray so. The airline you booked with might be able to put you on another flight sha if you miss your flight.
Ehrnie:

Many thanks @slowlybtsurely @dupyshoo - I should have probably asked this question before clicking on the "book flight" button cheesy . I can only pray that the 1.5 hours is sufficient since i'm the only one travelling.

Thanks!

(1) (2) (3) ... (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.