Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,786 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:21 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (55) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1987964 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blingyrie: 11:00pm On Aug 20, 2017
SOTAJ:

Yes, with the new rule that replaces the old one effective from October.
Ok tnx
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by VEIL1234: 12:42am On Aug 21, 2017
You can pm @BE811APP
IloveCanada:
I will love to meet with Nigerians, in Regina, SK. Anyone?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tarahray20: 1:37am On Aug 21, 2017
Which city has the best jobs for human resources?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 5:21am On Aug 21, 2017
Pidgin2:

Why would anyone want to be on benefits? I think people should make it their aim to work hard so as not to depend on the country's stipends to feed and cloth their own kids

Nice and informative thread
It's not welfare benefit. Canada child tax is mandatory as long as you file your taxes.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 5:38am On Aug 21, 2017
tarahray20:
Which city has the best jobs for human resources?
Human Resources is not a good field in Canada at the moment. Atleast not in Manitoba.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 5:56am On Aug 21, 2017
Congratulations on moving to Canada. I wish to advise newcomers concerning jobs and settling in Canada. The truth is the current reality of most people who migrated is not what they expected when they decided to migrate.
After landing some people land their dream jobs while for others it takes a while. If you don't get your dream job please try to take up survival jobs because you have bills to pay. If you decide to take a survival job please continue to pursue your dream job and DO NOT SETTLE.
One mistake that our people make is that they start making long term decisions such as car financing, mortgages while working menial jobs. What happens is that they are stuck and cannot take the courses they need to get their dream jobs.
A lot of people are unhappy here, bank manager working as home support worker or cashier when we have people from other countries who did not have education at all coming here to take professional jobs after going to school.
Don't rush to buy house and brand new car when you know you still have a long way to go. Nobody cares what you wear, whether you drive. No one cares. Build yourself up to where you want and then you can eat the fruit of your labour in peace.

By the way I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

99 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by telias: 5:57am On Aug 21, 2017
If you are on the verge of changing your phone, is it advisable to buy from naija or get it when you land?-Also generally, where are the best places to get phones? Also what should a new immigrant spend on their first car(family of 5) and where do you get the best deals?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 6:00am On Aug 21, 2017
telias:
If you are on the verge of changing your phone, is it advisable to buy from naija or get it when you land?-Also generally, where are the best places to get phones? Also what should a new immigrant spend on their first car(family of 5) and where do you get the best deals?
If you don't mind getting into a 2 year contract, you can buy your phone here in Canada. The cost of phone depends on your province, so I can't really tell you what the best deal is. For a first car, spend only the amount that you know you can afford cash.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ekpekus(m): 6:26am On Aug 21, 2017
honey86:
Congratulations on moving to Canada. I wish to advise newcomers concerning jobs and settling in Canada. The truth is the current reality of most people who migrated is not what they expected when they decided to migrate.
After landing some people land their dream jobs while for others it takes a while. If you don't get your dream job please try to take up survival jobs because you have bills to pay. If you decide to take a survival job please continue to pursue your dream job and DO NOT SETTLE.
One mistake that our people make is that they start making long term decisions such as car financing,
mortgages while working menial jobs. What happens is that they are stuck and cannot take the courses they need to get their dream jobs.
A lot of people are unhappy here, bank manager working as home support worker or cashier when we have people from other countries who did not have education at all coming here to take professional jobs after going to school.
Don't rush to buy house and brand new car when you know you still have a long way to go. Nobody cares what you wear, whether you drive. No one cares. Build yourself up to where you want and then you can eat the fruit of your labour in peace.

One of the best advise on this thread... I endorse this message

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ekpekus(m): 6:29am On Aug 21, 2017
telias:
You can get a Samsung phone from Nigeria, it works here. As for the car, follow honey86 advice

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ekpekus(m): 6:45am On Aug 21, 2017
SOTAJ:

No, I am in Alberta.
My oga I sight you... longest time
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 8:18am On Aug 21, 2017
Ekpekus:

You can get a Samsung phone from Nigeria, it works here. As for the car, follow honey86 advice

So our popular affordable phones in Naija won't work in Canada? Eg, techno, itel, infinix, huawei etc
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AlexanderGreat(m): 9:43am On Aug 21, 2017
Should in case the immigration officer at the Canadian airport asks for settlement fund while one lands, can one tender statement of account? If yes, how recent should the statement be?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 10:39am On Aug 21, 2017
MummyJaygirls:

So our popular affordable phones in Naija won't work in Canada? Eg, techno, itel, infinix, huawei etc

Lol @ popular Naija phones. They'll work. Just let your phone provider know you already have a phone and just need a line.

For Manitoba folks, I advise going with Fido, as they do a month to month line rental. That way you are not tied to a 2-year contract and can leave the network whenever you want.
I strongly advise against 2-year contracts with any phone service provider because half the time, you don't get the new data promos or cost reduction they offer, all because you have signed a contract with them. Always ask for a month to month phone plan. Especially if you are new to Canada. You never know, after 6 months you might hate your service provider and want to change.

25 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 10:43am On Aug 21, 2017
honey86:
One mistake that our people make is that they start making long term decisions such as car financing, mortgages while working menial jobs. What happens is that they are stuck and cannot take the courses they need to get their dream jobs.

grin nobody cares what you wear definitely in Winnipeg! We never maneuver snow finish, na to look fashion. Lol!

And the dirt (sand) with snow on the roads won't even let your car shine and be great. So just go for what you NEED and not what you WANT. Very good advice.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Aliyah9: 12:42pm On Aug 21, 2017
XX01:

I got the above from this thread but can't remember who exactly as i saved it out to a word document for future use. No plagiarism intended.
This can be done even easier, via special services which help out with translation of driving licenses. Going to Canada I got mine translated due to https://idaoffice.org , very responsible guys.

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CanadianNurse: 1:00pm On Aug 21, 2017
honey86:

If you don't mind getting into a 2 year contract, you can buy your phone here in Canada. The cost of phone depends on your province, so I can't really tell you what the best deal is. For a first car, spend only the amount that you know you can afford cash.
I just PMed you sir/ma... I'll be in Winnipeg on 30th of this month
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by lightdream: 1:36pm On Aug 21, 2017
Hello house.Please can anyone help me query if something below exist for Nigerian in Canada.

We have Job Offer slots with companies who are ready to employ with or without a degree and will also process your LMIA then send you a Valid Job Offer / Contract within 4 months , with a Valid job offer you can
- Obtain a PR under the Express Entry or
- Apply for a Temporary work permit with out writing an IELTS .
Benefits :-
- Accommodation comes with every contract
- Contracts from 2years upward
- Even without an O'level you can apply
- No monthly deduction in your salary
- No IELTS
- Within 21-27 days you will receive your application tracking ID then wait for the Job offer/contract and LMIA to be issued within the period of 1-4 months and 3weeks .
- After receiving your original contracts and offer letters , you can apply for a Work Permit Visa.

I have an interest I just want to know if its actually exist with pros and cons before I proceed.
Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ekpekus(m): 1:57pm On Aug 21, 2017
MummyJaygirls:

Infinity works as well as huawei but are very selective of mobile provider. Huawei works with Fido, chatr and kudoo but not with virgin.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ekpekus(m): 2:01pm On Aug 21, 2017
lightdream:
Hello house.Please can anyone help me query if something below exist for Nigerian in Canada.

We have Job Offer slots with companies who are ready to employ with or without a degree and will also process your LMIA then send you a Valid Job Offer / Contract within 4 months , with a Valid job offer you can
- No IELTS
- Within 21-27 days you will receive your application tracking ID then wait for the Job offer/contract and LMIA to be issued within the period of 1-4 months and 3weeks .
- After receiving your original contracts and offer letters , you can apply for a Work Permit Visa.

I have an interest I just want to know if its actually exist with pros and cons before I proceed.
Thank you
RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!! It doesn't look like scam but it is SCAM itself

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by toyogirl: 2:09pm On Aug 21, 2017
cheesy

Ekpekus:

RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!! I doesn't look like scam but it is SCAM itself

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 3:04pm On Aug 21, 2017
honey86:

This is the truth in its purest form...

Funny how a friend discussed this with me yesterday. The family attends one of the Nigerian churches where most of the congregation (new migrants) are in a rat race of buying the most flashy car or nicest house (of course on credit). His spouse has been putting presssure on him to buy a house. This friends works in a job that is considered not stable, and he intends to improve his education or get a license in his profession so as to have a more secure role, but his wife would have non of it..i dont know if this can also be classified as peer pressure or just a case of keeping up with the joneses.

In Canada, credit is very cheap at least compared to any developed country i have live in. Therefore, you would find new immigrants taking up credit cards (maxing it out), buying houses or flashy cars within one year of landing. yes...one year! one can buy a house in canada just by working survival jobs.., I know a lot of philipinos and naijas with big houses and cars but work in back breaking survival jobs. What is the point of suffering in silence just to look good outside. After paying mortgage, there is nothing to save and in case something goes wrong...repo companies come knocking or they basically get stuck in survival jobs because they need to keep paying mortgages and other bills. Nothing wrong with survival job or unsecured jobs, they are just what they are called. survival or transition till one gets the real deal.

That is why international students usually make the best set of immigrants, they sort of understand the system much more than new immigrants and have better jobs on average.

Asper survival jobs, one should not be discouraged if that is what one can find for now. If one is in a regulated profession, it's also almost impossible to land a job in your field of expertise without working in one of the survival jobs or not so glorified jobs except you were dangote or otedola in Nigeria before landing in Canada.

My spouse never worked survival job, and that was because i was working my own butts off in these survival jobs so she can get her license to practice in her profession. Once she was settled, i returned to upgrade myself too, since we both pitched our tents in regulated professions. Yes it took some years for her to get the license, and it took me some years to get to where i wanted to be too, but the move to Canada was definitely worth it.

94 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ehrnie: 3:24pm On Aug 21, 2017
lightdream:

- No IELTS

Thank you

You really truly do not need a soothsayer to tell you this is a scam. I'm even short of words. Anyways, below is a link to how to apply for the Express Entry FSWP. All the best.

https://www.nairaland.com/3999848/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled

These scammers have guts I'm telling you.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 4:11pm On Aug 21, 2017
lightdream:

- No IELTS

Thank you

Hi, what's the name of the company or firm offering these fantastical services so we can do open source research on them and advise.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by soja84: 4:28pm On Aug 21, 2017
Great Job Guys!I really appreciate your numerous advice here.
I intend to move over in March with my family.My spouse and son.
I presently work as a Sales Manager in the FMCG sector.I will like to know what it will take for me to get a similar role over there.If not exactly the same but something close.I intend to land in Regina first because I have a family friend there but am open to moving to where ever sales jobs thrive most.
Also,what are the courses I need to take before coming over that can aid my career?
What are the chances of sales people over there?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by amokemi(m): 5:54pm On Aug 21, 2017
Thank you very much for this valuable info. I will be landing in Winnipeg In a few weeks, pls do you mind if I PM You?

Grateful

honey86:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dacoza007(m): 10:21pm On Aug 21, 2017
Blackbuddy:

Hi, what's the name of the company or firm offering these fantastical services so we can do open source research on them and advise.

Bro, I saw the same offer weeks back, I know of people who did it, went to do affidavit, did police character report, and medical test in Abuja.... one of those who failed the medical got back his money in full, he had hepatitis , got his passport 2 weeks after.... I was worried because the requirements are simple, minimum of o level, n am also confused because they returned d money after writing a letter, n got dr passport afterwards, can u pls help confirm if companies in canada employ foreigners ,getting them LMIA with 2years contract. the job are menial, waiter n fish parker....i want to b certain before I go for it, pls help a brother struggling

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 11:26pm On Aug 21, 2017
honey86:

I strongly disagree with the bolded part. Having a property is the best investment and the sooner someone buys a house, the better.
In addition to that, you will still pay rent if you don't own a house. So, why not to invest your money in your own mortgage than paying someone's else mortgage in the form of rent?
And if you want to move, you can still sell the house and get your money back whereas if you have been renting you will never got the rent money back.
In my opinion, the money you put into rent is money that you have thrown at the window.

34 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 11:51pm On Aug 21, 2017
salford1:

This is the truth in its purest form...

Funny how a friend discussed this with me yesterday. The family attends one of the Nigerian churches where most of the congregation (new migrants) are in a rat race of buying the most flashy car or nicest house (of course on credit). His spouse has been putting presssure on him to buy a house. This friends works in a job that is considered not stable, and he intends to improve his education or get a license in his profession so as to have a more secure role, but his wife would have non of it..i dont know if this can also be classified as peer pressure or just a case of keeping up with the joneses.

In Canada, credit is very cheap at least compared to any developed country i have live in. Therefore, you would find new immigrants taking up credit cards (maxing it out), buying houses or flashy cars within one year of landing. yes...one year! one can buy a house in canada just by working survival jobs.., I know a lot of philipinos and naijas with big houses and cars but work in back breaking survival jobs. What is the point of suffering in silence just to look good outside. After paying mortgage, there is nothing to save and in case something goes wrong...repo companies come knocking or they basically get stuck in survival jobs because they need to keep paying mortgages and other bills. Nothing wrong with survival job or unsecured jobs, they are just what they are called. survival or transition till one gets the real deal.

That is why international students usually make the best set of immigrants, they sort of understand the system much more than new immigrants and have better jobs on average.

Asper survival jobs, one should not be discouraged if that is what one can find for now. If one is in a regulated profession, it's also almost impossible to land a job in your field of expertise without working in one of the survival jobs or not so glorified jobs except you were dangote or otedola in Nigeria before landing in Canada.

My spouse never worked survival job, and that was because i was working my own butts off in these survival jobs so she can get her license to practice in her profession. Once she was settled, i returned to upgrade myself too, since we both pitched our tents in regulated professions. Yes it took some years for her to get the license, and it took me some years to get to where i wanted to be too, but the move to Canada was definitely worth it.

I am against new immigrants maxing out their credit cards to buy new cars.
A car is never a investment except if it is being used for a business.
However, in my opinion buying a house is a must that would save you a lot of $$$ in a long run.
For instance, right now a 4 bedrooms house cost around $400.000 here in London, Ontario.
That means, the montly mortgage is around $2,200 on that property.
Now, someone who had bought that same house 10 years is paying a monthly mortgage of $800 today.
Can you see the difference between $2,200 and $800 ?
And 10 years from today, the monthly mortgage on that same property would be close to $3000.
Why not invest in a mortgage than paying rent? There is nothing to lose by having a house.

23 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by pauloverdi: 11:53pm On Aug 21, 2017
TheCongo2:

I strongly disagree with the bolded part. Having a property is the best investment and the sooner someone buys a house, the better.
In addition to that, you will still pay rent if you don't own a house. So, why not to invest your money in your own mortgage than paying someone's else mortgage in the form of rent?
And if you want to move, you can still sell the house and get your money back whereas if you have been renting you will never got the rent money back.
In my opinion, the money you put into rent is money that you have thrown at the window.

would really love to get the honest perspective of other landed seniors here on this... these are the main issues we should be addressing

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blingyrie: 11:55pm On Aug 21, 2017
TheCongo2:

There's a serious debate on d Internet about this; mainly because apart from coughing out cash in addition to mortgage, a house owner also pays property rate et al. When lumped up and financially analysed, seasoned immi consultants actually warn against new immigrants buying homes asa they land. Renting is a better option as it feees up your much needed pof; buying is advised when your home's (wife+oga) median income is slightly above that of their province. You can google more on that but again it all depends on how loaded and what our ambitions are.

8 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.