Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,359 members, 7,815,760 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:54 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (66) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1983786 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kingspaco: 7:33pm On Aug 26, 2017
Please our seniors in the house especially those in the construction related field, i would like to know what career path would be cool (in terms of pay, job security and probably possibility of working with the govt.) for someone who had a first degree in Quantity Surveying and M.Sc in Estate management. I have done a brief research on my own and found out that for me to practice Quantity Surveying, i need to become a member of Canadian Institute of Quantity Surveyors and of course i'll need to do some courses within the institute and take professional exams. Also for me to be a Certified Property Manager (CPM) i'll have to spend 3 years of qualifying experience before taking Exams. Please i'll need advice on the prospect of these two professions in Canada.

I also found a Graduate diploma course in Construction management which when completed will help me on the path of becoming a Construction Manager. i really wouldn't mind taking the diploma course as it will add up to my Canadian education experience and certificate but i really don't have any idea of how the Construction job opportunities are and if construction opportunities varies based on different provinces. I will appreciate a more detailed advice and insight on this Construction management path.

May i also add that i have passion for the IT world and wouldn't mind starting afresh on the IT career path as IT seems to be a sort after profession in Canada and the world at large. Please kindly advice a brother on some short courses that could set me going on the IT path.

Thank you and God bless

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:53pm On Aug 26, 2017
salford1:

Is the CRA hiring all over canada or just in winnipeg?
I think they have a big centre in winnipeg where tax returns are sent if filed by paper.

In cities where they have tax centres and headquarters I think in Ottawa.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kike100: 7:56pm On Aug 26, 2017
Na so una com shenk me?? Biko help me naa

kike100:
Hello Seniors,

The food pictures are tempting ooo (salford1#weydonsah)!, intelligent conversation too... I see most convo is around IT, Engineer, Doctors etc.

We (spouse&myself) are project mangers in the Banking industry with PMP & Six Sigma Black belt. i notice whilst researching jobs on most sites, Project Managers jobs is more titled towards construction industry or IT.

What other courses can one do e.g. bridging courses/ short courses to further help us upon landing us ( so we too can quickly buy house like TheCongo2....lol)?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by seunfoster: 7:57pm On Aug 26, 2017
Can I pm you?

honey86:

Yes I know people who are taking this route. One of them is going to be writing his final exams this year.

If you decide that you want to go back to school. Look for an accounting diploma program that will give exemption when you are done. You can usually find this information on CPA's website for the province where you will be residing. Instead of 4 years in school, you can get a job after taking the two years course. You can continue taking your CPA courses.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blingyrie: 8:36pm On Aug 26, 2017
follyzee:
In as much as I avoid getting into conversations that aren't my biz, I just could not let this pass.

I feel it's totally wrong to insult her becos of her opinion. To a large extent, it's her life n she has the right to use whatever metric to measure all that concerns her. I feel the info she provided isn't enough to judge her to this extent

Moreover, how are u sure the guy is not in the relationship 4 the material gains. It's very common now in Nigeria becos of the economy downturn. Young guys looking 4 wealthy daughter to carry the financial burden. As view her as a cash cow (I'm not saying that is the case here).

Moreover as a father, if a daughter brings home a man, u will want to consider his future plans n prospects.

However, I will advise she discusses with him n plan on how they can improve his "educational issues" if that is the only pending issue.

Pls dont castigate her, lets be kind to one another ...

My dear somethings are better not said in the public domain; am afraid she brought it upon her. Like I've been married for close to 14 years, and would never allow such near my brothers. It's not just right!! She could have asked d same question without putting that part; it shows a negative part of her. Sorry that's my opinion. I ain't perfect but I didn't write down my darkest tots out in public n expect an ovation??!! Hell no

14 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blingyrie: 8:41pm On Aug 26, 2017
Nicoletheo:
Hello All,
Greetings to all the Elders in the house. I am Nicole and currently work as an IT Business Analyst in an Investment House. I am Female and 31. I have a master degree from one of the top 10 schools in the UK, and first degree in Computer Science and Law. I've worked as a BA for 5 years with ITIL , CBAP and other certifications under my belt. While my fiancée works in a Bank in Treasury. His first degree is in an Political Science but he's worked in the Treasury arm of the bank for about 3 years. Now my dilemma is , how feasible would it be for him to get a job? Since we are both considering relocating. He's an amazing man but sometimes when I remember that his line of work does not sell as fast as IT , I get discouraged about settling down permanently with him. I feel because I have worked with IT professionals for most of my working life, I believe such skills are more in demand. Asides the job thingy, my fiancée is one of the most amazing and selfless individuals ive ever met.

We are considering getting married in October 2018
Seriously??!! This is painful to read really feeling sorry for ya dude. You with him for all d wrong reasons ; if I knew him I would tell him to RUN

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blingyrie: 8:44pm On Aug 26, 2017
follyzee:
Hi Blingyrie
Just want to find out if you have received your passport/ have an update

Not yet ooo, got d pum yesterday so hopefully next week. How far with yours?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blingyrie: 8:49pm On Aug 26, 2017
Hephgirl:

In d UK? Tot it was even in naija. Lemme go and read again
Wherever d degree is from, d guy is working and earning pay plus he is kind and nice. Do u know what percentage of Nigerian male he represents today?? Like 1% and that's hawt cake. If I knew him, Walahi I would hook him up with ma single friends searching for husbands

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tundechange: 9:11pm On Aug 26, 2017
Aig84:

Although I shouldn't be on this thread but I'm very interested in this. Nicoletheo I'm sending you a PM so we won't derail the thread. Thank you

Please pm me d details of your findings from her. Tnx

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MissShakara: 10:40pm On Aug 26, 2017
I'm really amazed you guys didn't see that Nicole girl's post for what it is...SPAM!
Let's not waste any more page on that troll, let's please stick to intelligent discuss henceforth abeg.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by follyzee: 11:59pm On Aug 26, 2017
That's great!
Im yet to get PUM, hopefully Monday

Thanks

Blingyrie:

Not yet ooo, got d pum yesterday so hopefully next week. How far with yours?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 12:00am On Aug 27, 2017
seconded ....please we need more info from people that have settled and their experiences
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 12:59am On Aug 27, 2017
It's quite interesting to see how a single post about someone's personal life has brought so many "strong" opinions. Please it is very important in life that we learn to express our opinions in ways that are not insulting. There is no need for comments like "I pity your man" "you are materialistic" or allegations of spam or name calling and so on and so forth.

Your perception is simply that, your perception. It is not factual no matter how convinced you are of it. Every human being has their own individual brain and is free to use it to think and analyse and feel whichever way they deem fit. This is why we have diversity and we are better off embracing it instead of using it as a bone of contention.

Nicole is free to consider the future career prospects available to her intended spouse in a country she is considering migrating to. She alone is going to live with said spouse in the future. None of us will. There is no reason why anyone should feel okay dictating how another human being should feel. Anyway, I have said enough.

@hephgirl, just wait till you land and then you can consider taking the health care aide certification or medical office assistant certification programs. You can also get a cpr certification when you arrive as this could help increase your chances for some jobs. There is little you can do online if you are targeting the health sector in Canada.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blingyrie: 1:24am On Aug 27, 2017
follyzee:
That's great!
Im yet to get PUM, hopefully Monday

Thanks

U can send a mail Monday morning to ask how far. I did n ma mail came next day
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kingspaco: 2:11am On Aug 27, 2017
For Nigerian qualified nurses, you may want to check this link on the process of being registered and licensed, it might help
http://www.clpna.com/applicants/i-am-an-internationally-educated-nurse/ien/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Kayla10: 2:37am On Aug 27, 2017
Blingyrie:

My dear somethings are better not said in the public domain; am afraid she brought it upon her. Like I've been married for close to 14 years, and would never allow such near my brothers. It's not just right!! She could have asked d same question without putting that part; it shows a negative part of her. Sorry that's my opinion. I ain't perfect but I didn't write down my darkest tots out in public n expect an ovation??!! Hell no

It is still her opinion and story however, and none of you have the right to censor her. I find that some men (especially Nigerian men) are bothered by women like her who expressly know what they want and refuse to settle. It is okay for men to all day errday choose to selectively court and woo beautiful women, but women are denied such luxuries as well. When a woman states what she unequivocally wants, all y'all start losing your s**t. E dey pain abi? Mtchewwwww!!!!!

....And I find it absolutely inane and immature that people always resort to the ridiculous "you will be 40 and unmarried line". So what if she is 40 and unmarried? Pray tell, would that mean she couldn't live a marvelous life? Why do some people insist on foisting silly expectations on women?!! Some of you won't be happy till women are cowering and existing as token handmaids.

@Nicoletheo, please DO YOU! You feel me, do whatever you think you need to do for yourself. These ones here flapping their gums won't come and live in your home with you. They won't be there when s**t get real; many people are only great at giving nonsense advice and opinions so feel free to ignore the heck outta them.

And finally una wey dey follow that Alikote talk na una make mistake; his english alone was a dead giveaway. Una for just know sey e no fit talk better something....mtchewwwwwww!!!

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 2:38am On Aug 27, 2017
Canadianfly:

Mehn!!!!! Your posts are so uneducated, it's not funny. Since when is marriage built on love ALONE??

You really are taking this personal. Did you experience the same from a woman? Free the girl and her choice. You can marry Uloma from the village if that's your preference. Don't shoot her coz she wants a Dangote. It's NOT A CRIME.

You women and gender wars... Clearly, everyone could see that she doesn't like the guy. Some of the women here feel that she is right. I see why most men cheat. These women don't love us. They are in their marriages for their gains. They can't stand the tough times with us.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Kayla10: 2:48am On Aug 27, 2017
Avalon316:

You women and gender wars... Clearly, everyone could see that she doesn't like the guy. Some of the women here feel that she is right. I see why most men cheat. These women don't love us. They are in their marriages for their gains. They can't stand the tough times with us.

LMAO!!!! Oh so that's why men cheat? Not because their unloyal behinds can't be trusted for s**t but because women want money. That's real rich (pun definitely intended), you hear me? So effing rich. I suppose the one you are cheating with is your true love that will stand the tough times with you yea? Hahahahahaha!

Keep lying to yourself inugo? I reckon it helps you sleep at night so please keep at it.

15 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Kayla10: 3:00am On Aug 27, 2017
...And frankly for the ones spewing all that sexist nonsense and nursing the obodo oyibo dream simultaneously, y'all might need to learn how to curate your more incendiary and insensitive thoughts and remarks because these places are not like Nigeria where you can go spouting off your unquantified assertions and projecting your biases on others. If you find that you cannot however, as the deity you worship has placed upon you the burden of being the wise sage (read aproko) that others need (but really do not want), please it may be time for you to enroll in a Bachelors in Minding your own Damn Business. Na help I dey help una because I can tell you for free right now, that such behavior will not be tolerated where una dey plan go.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by toyogirl: 5:40am On Aug 27, 2017
Oh Lord we pray thee, bring the atmosphere we used to have on this thread back, heal the derailed thread cry....Amen!

23 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 5:51am On Aug 27, 2017
toyogirl:
Oh Lord we pray thee, bring the atmosphere we used to have on this thread back, heal the derailed thread cry....Amen!

Lol ... grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Oyamade: 8:36am On Aug 27, 2017
Kayla10:

LMAO!!!! Oh so that's why men cheat? Not because their unloyal behinds can't be trusted for s**t but because women want money. That's real rich (pun definitely intended), you hear me? So effing rich. I suppose the one you are cheating with is your true love that will stand the tough times with you yea? Hahahahahaha!

Keep lying to yourself inugo? I reckon it helps you sleep at night so please keep at it.

Someone mentioned similar things early on this thread, i think its @thecongo2.

Canada gives equal rights to all citizens...young, old, rich, poor, male or female..., your boss may be a gay, what ever religion you practice, you dont disturb other people, make noise or cause traffic because you are having a party or worshipping God...everyone minds there own business.. it isn't like nigeria or india were discrimination is the order of the day. Nigerians with ego issues will have a hard time, you will go crazy because you aren't used to a society that favors women...so many people have divorce, alimony, separation issues cos of things like these. Most government policies and benefits place priority on women! The culture shock margin is so wide!!!

Example: division of labour

Some men that do not enter the kitchen @ all here in Nigeria, but there, if the wife too dey work na equal division of labour nothing is seen as someone's duty(Oyinbo life), every household chore is planned between family members. This can scare the shit out of some men, especially if his wife has a tendency of joining "bad gang" grin... If divorce happens, the wife keeps the house, d man has to keep paying mortage... Na one chance be that!

Here is another real lifr interesting scenario of a family i heard of in the UK.:

Wife earns far more than the husband, infact the cost of day care for their kids was considerably higher than the hubby's wages..so what did they do, husband had to assume babysitting duty until he got something more reasonable!

17 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by folamingo: 10:28am On Aug 27, 2017
In respect of Nicole's post, I believe everyone is right from their perspective. While I can understand she is looking out for herself (which is entirely human), there is someone else's life involved. This is someone that she claims she is planning to marry and suddenly the thought of relocating is bringing out doubts! That comes out "screaming at anyone", so which means circumstance will change how you see your spouse when you eventually get married. No condition is permanent. The poor man you see today, could be the richest man tomorrow.

Learn to trust your partner's struggle. Its really for better and for worse. You saw some qualities in him to date him, and eventually believed you could settle down with him. There is no perfect woman or man. You mould them by accepting their weaknesses and building on their strengths.

Let your foundation be LOVE and trust in God as circumstances change!

Drops mic.

14 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by nkigirl: 11:19am On Aug 27, 2017
The same way men also look for certain qualities in women before they get married, is the same way women should also look for same qualities.
Nicole is just trying to secure her future and the future of her children. Marriage is a partnership and she doesn't want someone who would be a financial burden to her in future. It's better she thinks about it now than to regret later. She is doing absolutely nothing wrong.
This topic may be derailing this forum from what it was created for, (living in canada) but at the same time, it is a way to teach judgemental, self righteous Nigerians who are planning to settle in Canada that you have to leave that attitude at the airport before you enter the plane. Canada has no room for that.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Kayla10: 11:40am On Aug 27, 2017
folamingo:
In respect of Nicole's post, I believe everyone is right from their perspective. While I can understand she is looking out for herself (which is entirely human), there is someone else's life involved. This is someone that she claims she is planning to marry and suddenly the thought of relocating is bringing out doubts! That comes out "screaming at anyone", so which means circumstance will change how you see your spouse when you eventually get married. No condition is permanent. The poor man you see today, could be the richest man tomorrow.

Learn to trust your partner's struggle. Its really for better and for worse. You saw some qualities in him to date him, and eventually believed you could settle down with him. There is no perfect woman or man. You mould them by accepting their weaknesses and building on their strengths.

Drops mic.

The issue is y'all only get this philosophical when it's women involved. Men do this ALL THE TIME! Is it not women's lives involved when men conduct auditions in their bid to find a mate. Yes, that's what it is, auditions! Can she cook? Can she sex me well? Is she fertile? Is she pretty? Why is that acceptable and Nicole's isn't? Marriage is not a do or die affair; no one should be guilted into it. Even if the OP feels as though he doesn't match her hustle and leaves him, it is perfectly valid. He is free to continue searching for someone that may be better suited, simples! Y'all always find a way to make a simple thing complicated.

...And no, all perspectives on this issue are not right. Some of the earlier posters were being particularly condescending, disrespectul and judgemental and whenever one approaches an issue that way, their opinion becomes null and void. It's been said that if you know you have nothing constructive to add, then shut it! I think people should learn to do that more often.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mercylicious234: 1:39pm On Aug 27, 2017
Modified
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 2:37pm On Aug 27, 2017
Hello please has anyone here bought clothes from Ali Express? I saw some affordable winter jackets and winter caps on that site and they deliver to Nigeria .
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 2:58pm On Aug 27, 2017
folamingo:

Drops mic.

Sometimes, I cringe when these women show their utter selfishness. It's a pity that some of them don't even realize what marriage is all about-FOR BETTER ,FOR WORSE. Lots of them have impliedly advocated for the "FOR WORSE" part to be excluded in marriage vows.

Just like a lot of people have pointed out, a man's profession, in some cases, has nothing to do with how successful or otherwise he will become. No one can tell what the future has for us.

The thing is, not everyone is meant to be married. Some people are just forcing it on themselves and would end up making their spouses miserable. Why don't you remain single if you are too selfish ? The world wouldn't care if you remain single at the age of 40. Don't just disturb the peaceful homes of the married ones. Chikena

No wonder marriages do not last longer than first round of sex.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Oyamade: 3:09pm On Aug 27, 2017
Avalon316:

Sometimes, I cringe when these women show their utter selfishness. It's a pity that some of them don't even realize what marriage is all about-FOR BETTER ,FOR WORSE. Lots of them have impliedly advocated for the "FOR WORSE" part to be excluded in marriage vows.

Just like a lot of people have pointed out, a man's profession, in some cases, has nothing to do with how successful or otherwise he will become. No one can tell what the future has for us.

The thing is, not everyone is meant to be married. Some people are just forcing it on themselves and would end up making their spouses miserable. Why don't you remain single if you are too selfish ? The world wouldn't care if you remain single at the age of 40. Don't just disturb the peaceful homes of the married ones. Chikena

Phew!!! Its already twisting to a gender argument..

Pls, salford, blackbuddy, Congo and the canny crew, pls update more pictures to get us out of this mood grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Adiahabasi: 3:10pm On Aug 27, 2017
kingspaco:
Please our seniors in the house especially those in the construction related field, i would like to know what career path would be cool (in terms of pay, job security and probably possibility of working with the govt.) for someone who had a first degree in Quantity Surveying and M.Sc in Estate management. I have done a brief research on my own and found out that for me to practice Quantity Surveying, i need to become a member of Canadian Institute of Quantity Surveyors and of course i'll need to do some courses within the institute and take professional exams. Also for me to be a Certified Property Manager (CPM) i'll have to spend 3 years of qualifying experience before taking Exams. Please i'll need advice on the prospect of these two professions in Canada.

I also found a Graduate diploma course in Construction management which when completed will help me on the path of becoming a Construction Manager. i really wouldn't mind taking the diploma course as it will add up to my Canadian education experience and certificate but i really don't have any idea of how the Construction job opportunities are and if construction opportunities varies based on different provinces. I will appreciate a more detailed advice and insight on this Construction management path.

May i also add that i have passion for the IT world and wouldn't mind starting afresh on the IT career path as IT seems to be a sort after profession in Canada and the world at large. Please kindly advice a brother on some short courses that could set me going on the IT path.

Thank you and God bless
Eyen aka, saw your e-mails, I replied but keeps bouncing back. Wld try with another alternative email addy.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by pauloverdi: 3:13pm On Aug 27, 2017
Chisos is Lord! All these cos of one hapless post? My wife must not see this thread mbok! I grin

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by toyogirl: 3:14pm On Aug 27, 2017
You should be fine....although, a friend once said the quality of what you get when you order from outside naija might be different from when you're ure in naija(I don't have a 1st hand experience)...you may try ASOS,if you find their prices reasonable

Hamiltondreamer:
Hello please has anyone here bought clothes from Ali Express? I saw some affordable winter jackets and winter caps on that site and they deliver to Nigeria .

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.