Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,231 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:13 AM

Who Should Supervise A Building Project; Architects, Builders Or Engineers - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Who Should Supervise A Building Project; Architects, Builders Or Engineers (20192 Views)

Fire Guts A Building In Ketu, Lagos (Photos, Video) / See A Building On Fire In Ikeja Lagos / Cost To Supervise A Foundation Of 2storey Building Of 6flats (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Should Supervise A Building Project; Architects, Builders Or Engineers by jagbajantus: 10:11am On Feb 09, 2017
You left out one category - Construction Managers! They are responsible for managing projects and overseeing them from beginning to finish.
Construction Managers could possess degrees in other related fields, if they so choose to but often, they are neither architects nor engineers.
Construction Management is a degree field of its own. And this is usually the common occurrence in the United States.

1 Like

Re: Who Should Supervise A Building Project; Architects, Builders Or Engineers by adanny01(m): 10:14am On Feb 09, 2017
abumeinben:
More like who should be the project manager.

And OP you're wrong! Some many structural engineers are project managers.

For this argument, the architect wins. This is it.

An architect has his design and goes to a structural engineer and say "hey bro, I need you to do me calculations about the strengths of materials needed for this design". The engineer does his calculations for every part of the design. But the architect owns the design. The engineer is done when his calculations are done, as long as the structure doesn't collapse.
Just like an Android app, the architect is the app you see on your screen, the engineer is the background process you don't see.

My opinion undecided

The bolded is not true.

Every site that requires a structural design requires the supervision of a COREN registered structural engineer who signs an undertaking certificate for the construction site. That makes him responsible for structural collapse. No engineer should sign a structural undertaking for a site without his supervision. His supervision must not entail managing the site but simply ensuring quality control and adherence to design.

See screen shot below of the general notes of a structural design. The engineer transfers responsibility of structural supervision to the client but at the end one engineer must be responsible else the project manager or client will be responsible as per building requirements.

1 Like

Re: Who Should Supervise A Building Project; Architects, Builders Or Engineers by NaWetinDey(m): 10:16am On Feb 09, 2017
In my humble opinion...

These three professionals must work hand-in-hand to ensure a perfect edifice
Although an architect designs and a builder builds, it's the engineer who will ensure that the architect's mind is reflected in quality and quantity of the builder's work.
An architect theorizes, and a builder brings it to practicality but it's the engineer who brings conformity between theory and practical.

3 Likes

Re: Who Should Supervise A Building Project; Architects, Builders Or Engineers by saydfact(m): 10:17am On Feb 09, 2017
adanny01:

The bolded is not completely true.

Every site that requires a structural design requires the supervision of a COREN registered structural engineer who signs an undertaking certificate for the construction site. That makes him responsible for structural collapse. No engineer should sign a structural undertaking for a site without his supervision. His supervision must not entail managing the site but simply ensuring quality control and adherence to design.

well said....
Re: Who Should Supervise A Building Project; Architects, Builders Or Engineers by abumeinben(m): 10:19am On Feb 09, 2017
adanny01:

The bolded is not completely true.

You only expanded my point bro, besides you forgot the part is said "unless there is a collapse".
Re: Who Should Supervise A Building Project; Architects, Builders Or Engineers by adanny01(m): 10:38am On Feb 09, 2017
abumeinben:

You only expanded my point bro, besides you forgot the part is said "unless there is a collapse".

There must not be a collapse before the engineer supervises. A designing engineer supervises to prevent collapse from happening so his work does not end with calculations and drafting. Also building regulations require that an engineer must supervise the structure.
Re: Who Should Supervise A Building Project; Architects, Builders Or Engineers by kentochi(m): 10:41am On Feb 09, 2017
good topic

1 Like

Re: Who Should Supervise A Building Project; Architects, Builders Or Engineers by thirdeye(m): 10:53am On Feb 09, 2017
buildingcontractorsecrets.com/2010/10/25/who-should-handle-or-supervise-your-project-architectbuilder-civil-or-structural-engineer/
Re: Who Should Supervise A Building Project; Architects, Builders Or Engineers by ebisazu(m): 11:04am On Feb 09, 2017
@ OP, I would like to enlighten everyone of us on this topic. I will list, as is, from a professional point of view:
1) A Project Manager (someone who has extensive experience on design, analysis and construction of buildings plus associated cost) is responsible or should Supervise/manage a building project. The project manager could be a certified Architect, certified Builder, certified Quantity Surveyor, certified Engineer (civil, mechanical, electrical). This is usually an office based position.
2) The Architect is basically a designer. He develops a concept based on scope of work provided by the project manager. He prepares all design and detailed drawings and supervises his own input. This is usually an office based position
3) The Engineer carries out all engineering analysis and calculations for the building. He may be required to draw and provide inputs to the design. Also, he advises the Architect on typical construction and detailed drawings. He supervises his own input. This is normally an office based position with scheduled visit to site.
4) The Builder or certified/professional Builder is more or less the construction manager for the building project. He supervises the execution and completion of the project. He receives drawings from the Architect or responsible party and is responsible for interpreting same to the workers on site. This is usually site based position.

My submission above is as obtainable in professional firms with international standards unlike in the Nigerian one-man businesses.
I hope the above points clarifies our concerns

saydfact:
There is an everyday argument on WHO SHOULD SUPERVISE A BUILDING PROJECT; The Architect, Builder or Civil/Structural Engineer?

Well, before we go into details, I'm sure we all agree the Mechanical Engineer shouldn't be responsible for task of ensuring 'Your Design' comes out as expected - conducive and beautiful (Aesthetics). LoL

Lets define the 3 professions we're considering (in alphabetical order)

A. Architect
According to the English dictionary:

* Architect [n.]: A person skilled in the art of building; one who understands architecture, or makes it his occupation to form plans and designs of buildings, and to superintend the artificers employed.

Lets further look at the meaning of 'SUPERINTEND':

* Superintend [v. t.]: To have or exercise the charge and oversight of; to oversee with the power of direction; to take care of with authority; to supervise; as, an officer superintends the building of a ship or the construction of a fort.

We'll stop here for now, while we get the definition of B & C from the same dictionary.

B. Builder
* Builder [n.]: One who builds; one whose occupation is to build, as a carpenter, a shipwright, or a mason.

this definition in my opinion wasn't fair or deep enough so I looked further down:

* Builder; constructor: someone who contracts for and supervises construction (as of a building)
* Homebuilder; home-builder; housebuilder; house-builder: someone who builds houses as a business

This definitions, almost limits the builder to a business man, (that's not my conclusion) - that's what the dictionary thinks.
we'll also come back to argue this, while we look at the last definition 'C' below.

C. Civil/Structural Engineer

* Structural: affecting or involved in structure or construction (ex.: the structural details of a house such as beams and joists and rafters; not ornamental elements; structural damage)

* Civil engineer: an engineer trained to design and construct and maintain public works (roads or bridges or harbors etc.)

* Civil engineering: the branch of engineering concerned with the design and construction of such public works as dams or bridges

Lets summarize the 3 definition on here; The first mentioned structures but noted that these does not include ornamental elements eg pop designs, tiling etc while the other two (from civil) were silent about buildings. The first conclusion we can draw from this definition is that the Civil Engineer is solely responsible for supervising structures like bridges, roads, dams and he has no competition in those area.

Verdict: The dictionary thinks the Architect is the more appropriate person to supervise the building BUT WE WOULD NOT CONCLUDE HERE.

LETS LOOK AT WIKI DEFINITIONS NOW:

* An architect is someone who plans, designs, and reviews the construction of buildings. To practice architecture means to provide services in connection with the design of buildings and the space within the site surrounding the buildings, that have as their principal purpose human occupancy or use. Etymologically, architect derives from the Latin architectus, which derives from the Greek (arkhi-, chief + tekton, builder), i.e., chief builder

Like in the dictionary definitions; wiki gives so much power to the Architect calling him 'CHIEF' -

* Structural engineering is mainly a sub-division of civil engineering where structural engineers are trained to understand, predict, and calculate the stability, strength and rigidity of built structures for buildings and non-building structures, to develop designs and integrate their design with that of other designers, and to supervise construction of projects on site.

* Builder may refer to:

- Construction worker who specializes in building work
- Carpenter, a skilled craftsman who works with wood
- General contractor, that specializes in building work

Off-course wiki didn't rule out the engineer as a supervisor on site - we can only argue that the website seems to have placed him under a 'chief' - perhaps not, AND except we're biased IT IS COMMON KNOWLEDGE that the builder is the least recognized among the three. (No dis-respect meant please)

LETS LOOK AT LOGIC / COMMON REASONING:

Starting with C, B then A.

I'M SURE WE ALL AGREE THAT THE CIVIL/STRUCTURAL ENGINEERS ARE INVOLVED IN DESIGN OF THE STRUCTURAL ELEMENTS EG COLUMNS, BEAMS AND SLAB - BASICALLY HE DESIGNS & RECOMMEND ON ALL STEEL WORKS....If we all agree on the above, then 'my question is; SHOULD THE STRUCTURAL ENGINEER BE INVOLVED IN ANY BUILDING THAT DOESN'T HAVE HAVE HIS DESIGN INPUT?

Lets support our claims with the Nigeria Approval Process - When seeking approval for a bungalow, all you're required to submit is an Architectural Plan - You would not be required to submit a structural design / calculation sheet until you start going up with a storey on another.

This means; The only person involved in all types of building (emphasis on BUILDING) is the Architect....

WHO UNDERSTANDS THE BUILDING MORE:

A. The person who designed it OR
B. The person who recommended what strength is required to make it stand
C. The person who only received series of drawings and required to build / supervise it

I'll leave every man to his conclusion here.

ACTUAL PRACTICE:

For those of us working with multi-national company, expatriates or dealing with big organizations have you ever noticed that the PROJECT MANAGERS are always Architects?

This is because of the single rule that Architects are the head of the construction team - I'm yet to come across a Project Managed by an Engineering firm or where the NO1 man on site is the Engineer.

Maybe I've just been on the wrong types of projects - which includes Factories, Warehouses, Mega Stores, Luxury apartment etc.

Could this be a co-incidence?

SO; MY QUESTION STILL IS "WHO SHOULD SUPERVISE A BUILDING PROJECT" well, I'm not ruling out the importance of both the Architect & Engineers especially on very complex structures.

Written and shared by 'SaydFact' on www.nairaland.com and www.palmchatnow.com

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Who Should Supervise A Building Project; Architects, Builders Or Engineers by abumeinben(m): 11:10am On Feb 09, 2017
adanny01:

There must not be a collapse before the engineer supervises. A designing engineer supervises to prevent collapse from happening so his work does not end with calculations and drafting. Also building regulations require that an engineer must supervise the structure.
ok
Re: Who Should Supervise A Building Project; Architects, Builders Or Engineers by Jammiiee(m): 11:12am On Feb 09, 2017
Someone must be the head of the unit and who should it be
flyca:
Supervision is not a one man work. Its usually a cooperation between all the professionals working on the project.

In a consultancy firm that I worked with, there is usually a meeting that comprises everybody involved in the building project. where the given suggestions based on your expertise
Re: Who Should Supervise A Building Project; Architects, Builders Or Engineers by jackie35(m): 11:13am On Feb 09, 2017
saydfact:
There is an everyday argument on WHO SHOULD SUPERVISE A BUILDING PROJECT; The Architect, Builder or Civil/Structural Engineer?

Well, before we go into details, I'm sure we all agree the Mechanical Engineer shouldn't be responsible for task of ensuring 'Your Design' comes out as expected - conducive and beautiful (Aesthetics). LoL

A. Architect

* Architect [n.]: A person skilled in the art of building; one who understands architecture, or makes it his occupation to form plans and designs of buildings, and to superintend the artificers employed.

* Superintend [v. t.]: To have or exercise the charge and oversight of; to oversee with the power of direction; to take care of with authority; to supervise; as, an officer superintends the building of a ship or the construction of a fort.

We'll stop here for now, while we get the definition of B & C from the same dictionary.

B. Builder
* Builder [n.]: One who builds; one whose occupation is to build, as a carpenter, a shipwright, or a mason.

this definition in my opinion wasn't fair or deep enough so I looked further down:

* Builder; constructor: someone who contracts for and supervises construction (as of a building)
* Homebuilder; home-builder; housebuilder; house-builder: someone who builds houses as a business

This definitions, almost limits the builder to a business man, (that's not my conclusion) - that's what the dictionary thinks.
we'll also come back to argue this, while we look at the last definition 'C' below.

* Structural: affecting or involved in structure or construction (ex.: the structural details of a house such as beams and joists and rafters; not ornamental elements; structural damage)

* Civil engineer: an engineer trained to design and construct and maintain public works (roads or bridges or harbors etc.)

* Civil engineering: the branch of engineering concerned with the design and construction of such public works as dams or bridges

Lets summarize the 3 definition on here; The first mentioned structures but noted that these does not include ornamental elements eg pop designs, tiling etc while the other two (from civil) were silent about buildings. The first conclusion we can draw from this definition is that the Civil Engineer is solely responsible for supervising structures like bridges, roads, dams and he has no competition in those area.

Verdict: The dictionary thinks the Architect is the more appropriate person to supervise the building BUT WE WOULD NOT CONCLUDE HERE.

* An architect is someone who plans, designs, and reviews the construction of buildings. To practice architecture means to provide services in connection with the design of buildings and the space within the site surrounding the buildings, that have as their principal purpose human occupancy or use. Etymologically, architect derives from the Latin architectus, which derives from the Greek (arkhi-, chief + tekton, builder), i.e., chief builder

Like in the dictionary definitions; wiki gives so much power to the Architect calling him 'CHIEF' -

* Structural engineering is mainly a sub-division of civil engineering where structural engineers are trained to understand, predict, and calculate the stability, strength and rigidity of built structures for buildings and non-building structures, to develop designs and integrate their design with that of other designers, and to supervise construction of projects on site.

* Builder may refer to:

Off-course wiki didn't rule out the engineer as a supervisor on site - we can only argue that the website seems to have placed him under a 'chief' - perhaps not, AND except we're biased IT IS COMMON KNOWLEDGE that the builder is the least recognized among the three. (No dis-respect meant please)

I'M SURE WE ALL AGREE THAT THE CIVIL/STRUCTURAL ENGINEERS ARE INVOLVED IN DESIGN OF THE STRUCTURAL ELEMENTS EG COLUMNS, BEAMS AND SLAB - BASICALLY HE DESIGNS & RECOMMEND ON ALL STEEL WORKS....If we all agree on the above, then 'my question is; SHOULD THE STRUCTURAL ENGINEER BE INVOLVED IN ANY BUILDING THAT DOESN'T HAVE HAVE HIS DESIGN INPUT?

Lets support our claims with the Nigeria Approval Process - When seeking approval for a bungalow, all you're required to submit is an Architectural Plan - You would not be required to submit a structural design / calculation sheet until you start going up with a storey on another.

This means; The only person involved in all types of building (emphasis on BUILDING) is the Architect....

C. The person who only received series of drawings and required to build / supervise it

ACTUAL PRACTICE:

For those of us working with multi-national company, expatriates or dealing with big organizations have you ever noticed that the PROJECT MANAGERS are always Architects?

This is because of the single rule that Architects are the head of the construction team - I'm yet to come across a Project Managed by an Engineering firm or where the NO1 man on site is the Engineer.

Maybe I've just been on the wrong types of projects - which includes Factories, Warehouses, Mega Stores, Luxury apartment etc.

SO; MY QUESTION STILL IS "WHO SHOULD SUPERVISE A BUILDING PROJECT" well, I'm not ruling out the importance of both the Architect & Engineers especially on very complex structures.

It depends on the magnitude of the construction, but normally HE MUST be an experienced and certificated PROJECT MANAGER.

1 Like

Re: Who Should Supervise A Building Project; Architects, Builders Or Engineers by Salym(m): 12:01pm On Feb 09, 2017
All have different roles they play on a construction site:
The architect is employed by the client. The roles of an architect include:
1 Creation of preliminary drawings
2 Preparation of contract documents
3 Participation in tendering and selection of a winning bid
4 Issuance of instructions on site to the contractor (Instructions must be given before anything is carried out)5
5 Issuance of payment certificates
6 Ensuring that works done conform to drawings and instruction
7 Preparation of progress report and chairing of meetings in sites without project managers
8 Issuance of final payment certificate after defect liability period

The roles of an Engineer (Structural)
1 Design structural drawings
2 Issue instructions related to structures
3 Ensure that work done conform to instructions

The builder is usually employed by the contractor. The roles of a builder include:
1 Supervision of tradesmen and ensuring that the architect/engineer's instructions are followed to the latter. It can be said that the builder works directly with artisans on site.
NB. These are mostly the roles on large construction sites. Roles may be altered in smaller sites as the case may be.

1 Like

Re: Who Should Supervise A Building Project; Architects, Builders Or Engineers by hismerhill(m): 12:24pm On Feb 09, 2017
KINGwax007:
Builder. Though, every professional must be invited at the right time.

But as a builder, your main job is a site manager. You must have knowledge of everything being done on-site. Your mission is to interpret the drawing, physically on site.

That is why,

We were being taught accounting
We were being taught structural engineering
We were being taught architectural design
We were being taught electrical technology
We were being taught carpentry works and wood design
We were being taught bricklaying
We were being taught law in contact management
We were being taught building services
We were being taught soil technology
We were being taught land surveying
We were being taught estate management

We must understand everything and everyone...

I can go on and on but why shld I?

You wanna take a dose, go study building technology!

Bit the truth is, the most lucrative among building technology, architecture, structural engineering, estate management and quantity surveying is the last one- Quantity surveying.

I always wished I didn't shed off that course after my ND. But hey, I am a farmer now, a builder, a serial and dynamic entrepreneur. Who cares abt the yeye certificate?

I do grin

May God bless u for me
Re: Who Should Supervise A Building Project; Architects, Builders Or Engineers by flyca: 12:34pm On Feb 09, 2017
Jammiiee:
Someone must be the head of the unit and who should it be
The head of unit is rotational. Mustn't be from a particular dept. Ideas are collected and consensus is reached. But if na strong argument, what the head does is collect ideas and make a final decision based on them.
Re: Who Should Supervise A Building Project; Architects, Builders Or Engineers by olash: 12:48pm On Feb 09, 2017
The architect design the building while the civil engineer interprets and implement the design. The engineer must understnd the nature of the soil, will determine the quantity of material. I think the civil engineer should supervise the project.

For CCTV, Intercom, Fire Alarm, Wire/wireless networking, access control etc
Re: Who Should Supervise A Building Project; Architects, Builders Or Engineers by akokaite(m): 12:58pm On Feb 09, 2017
Professionally, a professional builder shld supervise any building project.

Civil/structural engineer undastood the building better.

Architecture gives and imagine how u want ur dream building to look like aesthetically with zero vision of being achieved Structurally (civil role) and field work (professional builder).
Re: Who Should Supervise A Building Project; Architects, Builders Or Engineers by Myself2(m): 4:44pm On Feb 09, 2017
Architects causing confusion in the construction industry since 100AD grin cheesy.Instead of drawing houses and handing over to engineers to do proper design and build,dem go dey dabble into construction wey no concern them
It,s actually the Engineer that should supervise the construction of any building.The architect only draws PINSHURE with zero knowledge of calculations that give rise to beams and columns that give the building structural integrity.
THE BUILDING APPROVAL AUTHORITIES HAVE ANSWERED TJIS QUESTION FOR ALL.
IF you want to approve any building plan,which has five sets of architectural and five sets of structural drawing amongst other things,the authorities will REQUIRE A LETTER OF SUPERVISION from a COREN REGISTERED ENGINEER (not from ANY OTHER professional) stating that he will supervise the job.They NEVER ask for an architect.This is the reason also why whenever there is a building collapse or any related construction accident, the authorities call for the engineer.
tongue tongue tongue

1 Like

Re: Who Should Supervise A Building Project; Architects, Builders Or Engineers by godwinkessi: 6:29pm On Feb 09, 2017
danemenike:
Very interesting topic I must say. This is my input; Mr. Wilfred wants to build a house, he approaches an architect(first port of call) to get a building drawing(design). The architect interprets the client's desire and reproduces on paper. Architects are like photographers. They read your mind and draw a building plan for you according to specifications and codes. Architects are great people and professionals too, but they've got limitations.

Civil Engineers, It a privilege to have a professional civil Engineer design or build for you. Civil engineers are saddled with the responsibilities of designing and building Bridges, ports, Dam, Highways, high rise buildings e.t.c

Builder, saddled with the responsibility of building. He knows how to interpret building drawings and Structural details. He/she can be likened to an educated chief Foreman. He's the chief design interpreter. He also coordinates all forms of labour on site. The builder in my opinion is an integral part of a building operation.

Here's my opinion on who should supervise a building.

We don't question who should supervise high rise buildings like sky scrapers, 15+ storey building, do we?
We all agree that a Civil Engineer should be in charge.

Then when it comes to ordinary duplex or 3/4 storey building, we're asking who should be in charge? Which is more complex a sky scraper or a duplex? A civil engineer breaths building. He understands the soil, underneath the soil and above the soil. He knows what will make a building stable. It is a rare privilege to have a professional civil engineer build your dream home. This IT age with softwares such as Autocard, Revit, Google Sketch up, Archicard helps just anyone to draw or design a building, but certainly not to detail(structurally) a building.

Engr. Daniel
Terrastone Shelters

You just spoke to defend ur own profession. It doesn't make sense! Who was in charge of Burj al Arab? Who was in charge for the construction of Burj Khalifa? I think u need to watch the documentary. Architects are the number one in building, all advises comes from them, cos after the design he will take structural advises from every other person in charge of the process and takes note of all that.

I just got to be neutral, architects should be the over all consultants of a building construction

1 Like

Re: Who Should Supervise A Building Project; Architects, Builders Or Engineers by hero2000: 8:29pm On Feb 09, 2017
tankara1010:

Oh Lord....help us in this country because some people are very daft. I'm 100% sure you voted for Buhari with your level of IQ!

Can't you see a humour when you see one?
Re: Who Should Supervise A Building Project; Architects, Builders Or Engineers by saydfact(m): 11:30am On Feb 10, 2017
Thanks all for your submission......
Re: Who Should Supervise A Building Project; Architects, Builders Or Engineers by stancydg: 2:29pm On Feb 10, 2017
danemenike:
Very interesting topic I must say. This is my input; Mr. Wilfred wants to build a house, he approaches an architect(first port of call) to get a building drawing(design). The architect interprets the client's desire and reproduces on paper. Architects are like photographers. They read your mind and draw a building plan for you according to specifications and codes. Architects are great people and professionals too, but they've got limitations.

Civil Engineers, It a privilege to have a professional civil Engineer design or build for you. Civil engineers are saddled with the responsibilities of designing and building Bridges, ports, Dam, Highways, high rise buildings e.t.c

Builder, saddled with the responsibility of building. He knows how to interpret building drawings and Structural details. He/she can be likened to an educated chief Foreman. He's the chief design interpreter. He also coordinates all forms of labour on site. The builder in my opinion is an integral part of a building operation.

Here's my opinion on who should supervise a building.

We don't question who should supervise high rise buildings like sky scrapers, 15+ storey building, do we?
We all agree that a Civil Engineer should be in charge.

Then when it comes to ordinary duplex or 3/4 storey building, we're asking who should be in charge? Which is more complex a sky scraper or a duplex? A civil engineer breaths building. He understands the soil, underneath the soil and above the soil. He knows what will make a building stable. It is a rare privilege to have a professional civil engineer build your dream home. This IT age with softwares such as Autocard, Revit, Google Sketch up, Archicard helps just anyone to draw or design a building, but certainly not to detail(structurally) a building.

Engr. Daniel
Terrastone Shelters

I beg to differ. Architects don't have limitations. They still superintend in the case of skyscrapers and all, simply for the fact that, they designed it in the first place and know how best it should work. Do your research on megastructures such as the burj in Dubai.(Tallest hotel in the world)

Architects are not chief builders but chief consultants. In order words, they are 'thinkers', who have the responsibility of working out the entire process, based only on the inputs of other professionals, which includes but not limited to the civil engineer. This means if the architect wants the building to twist 360degrees, its his instruction and the structural engineer MUST be obliged to work it out, as long as that is an interpretation of the client's brief. Whatever calculations or drawings done is based primarily on the architectural.

That answers the fellow who doesn't notice architects on site. You may not see them on site, but you will sure notice their instructions referred to as 'The Architects Instruction' delivered to other professionals through his resident architect. Therefore, everyone who works on a site, only does, or are supposed to, based on the architect's supervision. It is the reason a newly employed government architect, has and will always superintend site meetings over other professionals, on higher levels any day, any time. Visit any government ministry to confirm that.

For architects worth their salt, there is even a limit to a client's interference, because at the end of the day, the building subtly bears the architects name(reputation) and the client is just the 'financial owner'.

1 Like

Re: Who Should Supervise A Building Project; Architects, Builders Or Engineers by Tpadeoye: 5:37am On Feb 11, 2017
saydfact:

A. Architect

B. Builder

* Builder may refer to:

ACTUAL PRACTICE:

thanks so much for this analysis but I have a question, I read your previous post on cost of materials, workmanship etc which is for 3bedroom does it mean if I'm building 2 detachable flats of 3 bedroom each the money will be double or will it remain the same as it is. Please I need your advise. Thank you.
Re: Who Should Supervise A Building Project; Architects, Builders Or Engineers by saydfact(m): 5:04pm On Feb 11, 2017
Tpadeoye:
thanks so much for this analysis but I have a question, I read your previous post on cost of materials, workmanship etc which is for 3bedroom does it mean if I'm building 2 detachable flats of 3 bedroom each the money will be double or will it remain the same as it is. Please I need your advise. Thank you.

Thanks for following my threads.. I appreciate.

If you're building 2 x 3 bedroom - you won't spend x2 the amount but you'll surely spend more than x1 maybe about x1.75 of the amount... As long as you're building them side by side...

Thanks..
Re: Who Should Supervise A Building Project; Architects, Builders Or Engineers by adanny01(m): 12:22am On Feb 12, 2017
Salym:
All have different roles they play on a construction site:
The architect is employed by the client. The roles of an architect include:
1 Creation of preliminary drawings
2 [s]Preparation of contract documents
3 Participation in tendering and selection of a winning bid
4 Issuance of instructions on site to the contractor (Instructions must be given before anything is carried out)5
5 Issuance of payment certificates[/s]
6 Ensuring that works done conform to drawings and instruction
7 [s]Preparation of progress report and chairing of meetings in sites without project managers
8 Issuance of final payment certificate after defect liability period[/s]

The roles of an Engineer (Structural)
1 Design structural drawings
2 Issue instructions related to structures
3 Ensure that work done conform to instructions

The builder is usually employed by the contractor. The roles of a builder include:
1 Supervision of tradesmen and ensuring that the architect/engineer's instructions are followed to the latter. It can be said that the builder works directly with artisans on site.
NB. These are mostly the roles on large construction sites. Roles may be altered in smaller sites as the case may be.

The stricken parts are the project manager's responsibility and could be anybody with a project or construction management qualification or experience. A building usually has an architect as PM because the architect is mostly behind the concept and the first professional on the project
Re: Who Should Supervise A Building Project; Architects, Builders Or Engineers by saydfact(m): 2:25pm On Feb 15, 2017
Re: Who Should Supervise A Building Project; Architects, Builders Or Engineers by saydfact(m): 10:01am On Feb 23, 2017
Re: Who Should Supervise A Building Project; Architects, Builders Or Engineers by LEMVEG(m): 8:17am On Feb 28, 2017
asamaigho:

let's not confuse the public with the word "design",....the architectural drawing is a mere picture of the geospatial arrangement of the building, while the civil designs shows the structural arrangements of beams columns,slabs,staircases,and the right quality and quantity of materials that will provide structural stability for the building.
for me a civil/structural engineer should supervise the building processing.
have you ever wondered why an architect is not called to question when a building collapses?
we refer to architecture are design coz " architecture is the art and science in the history and practice of design" the art there deals with aesthetics which can also be referred to as design.. the science is the study of material strenghts. so my fellow professional architecture is not a mere picture.. its a process that deals with the interelationship of spaces that meets the aesthetic and functional requirements of the client.. please whatsapp me +27719916696... please just indicate nairaland
Re: Who Should Supervise A Building Project; Architects, Builders Or Engineers by Astrogeotech01: 8:28am On Feb 28, 2017
kentochi:
good topic

call us to render this services

Astro Geotech Nigeria Limited is a firm that is into Geotechnincal investigation / soil test, foundation engineering (pile foundation), Geophysical survey / water borehole drilling,core drilling and laboratory analysis, we provide interpretative Report, project management (General construction management) we render quality services with affordable prices.
call 08136569906
Re: Who Should Supervise A Building Project; Architects, Builders Or Engineers by Obidikejr(m): 4:50pm On Feb 03, 2018
Love this... Civil and Architects been trying to hustle our job since time immemorial.

Bldr.
Re: Who Should Supervise A Building Project; Architects, Builders Or Engineers by Rubbiish(m): 9:38am On Feb 17, 2018
Obidikejr:
Love this... Civil and Architects been trying to hustle our job since time immemorial.

Bldr.
Lol

1 Like

Re: Who Should Supervise A Building Project; Architects, Builders Or Engineers by Konquest: 12:09pm On Mar 12, 2019
saydfact:

A. Architect

B. Builder

* Builder may refer to:

ACTUAL PRACTICE:

^^^^^
^^^^^
All the professionals are important.
Nice thread.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

MASSIVE DISCOUNT! APO ROCK VILLA ABUJA, NOW SELLING N60M. DON'T MISS IT! / Rescue Efforts At Site Of Building Collapse In Lagos (Pics, Video) / ASOKORO ROCKVILLA ESTATE GUZAPE, ABUJA. DON'T MISS IT!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.