Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,407 members, 7,819,453 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:33 PM

How To Answer ''why Have You Changed Jobs So Often'' - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Answer ''why Have You Changed Jobs So Often'' (732 Views)

Jobs Seekers – See Best Way To Answer “why Should We Hire You?” / How To Answer, "Why Did You Quit After 3 Months?" / How To Answer the terrific "Tell Me About Yourself?" Interview Question. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Answer ''why Have You Changed Jobs So Often'' by LekkiHost: 12:35pm On Feb 08, 2017
It is a sad fact of life that not everyone who interviews job candidates is qualified to do so.

Too many unqualified people are thrown into interviewing roles and charged with making yes-or-no decisions about whether a job-seeker will advance to the next round of interviews, or be told "No thanks."

You are almost guaranteed to run into poorly-trained interviewers during your career, so it's important to be ready for them.

If you have a typical new-millennium career history that includes several jobs lasting anywhere from nine months to three years, expect to get the question "Why have you changed jobs so often?"
An interviewer who has not themselves been blown about by the four winds in the fast-changing talent ecosystem may not understand why your resume has a series of short-term jobs on it.

The truth is that even a one-year assignment cannot be considered a short-term job anymore. All jobs are becoming short-term jobs, whether working people are ready for that evolution or not!

We don't always get to choose when we change jobs. Sometimes our employers make business decisions that put whole departments or divisions out of work. Sometimes only a few positions are eliminated or changed in such a way that they're not a good fit anymore.

Sometimes there's a better opportunity at another company. Sometimes we leave an organization to follow a great boss. Sometimes events in our personal lives force us to change jobs.

If you have a zig-zag resume, you need a good answer to the question "Why have you changed jobs so often?"

You don't want to sound defensive, but you also don't want to grovel and beg for the interviewer's approval. It is tempting to launch into a litany of all the reasons you left every job you ever had, like this:

Interviewer: Why have you changed jobs so often?

You: Well, Angry Chocolates laid me off and then when I worked at Acme Explosives until they moved me to an office that was too far away from my daughter's day care and I couldn't pick her up on time. Then I went to Wiggly Devices but I only stayed a year because they told me I was going to be a Senior Analyst but they actually had me doing Accounts Payable and I wasn't learning anything, which is bad for me professionally. Then after that....

You will not help yourself by walking your interviewer through your entire career saga in hopes of convincing him or her that you had good reasons to make the career moves you made.

Try a higher-altitude approach to answering the question "Why have you held so many jobs?," like this:

Interviewer: Why have you changed jobs so often?

You: It's funny - I never expected to work at so many companies in just a few years but it's been an absolutely incredible experience. Now I know how to walk into a new situation and figure out how I can make a difference. I guess it was meant to happen, because I wouldn't trade the learning I've gained for anything!

The apologetic "Please don't hate me for my string of short-term jobs" approach is beneath you and won't help you get the job.

Your confident, breezy answer invites the interviewer to ask you more questions about the twists and turns in your amazing career story -- but most of them will not.

With luck, they will ask you a question about the job you're interviewing for, instead! That's the purpose of a job interview, after all.

For tips on questions to ask during an interview and brilliant ways to act confidently in an interview https://www.lekkihost.com/forum/index.php?topic=12.0 https://www.lekkihost.com/forum/index.php?topic=11.0

4 Likes

Re: How To Answer ''why Have You Changed Jobs So Often'' by pweetyoge(f): 12:50pm On Feb 08, 2017
An educative post

1 Like

Re: How To Answer ''why Have You Changed Jobs So Often'' by LekkiHost: 1:40pm On Feb 08, 2017
pweetyoge:
An educative post
smiley smiley thanks
Re: How To Answer ''why Have You Changed Jobs So Often'' by matrixme(m): 1:57pm On Feb 08, 2017
interesting!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Human Resources Associate / G / Le‘ Venue Group Limited Job Vacancy For Brand Marketing Executive 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.