Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,315 members, 7,836,372 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:30 AM

Lagos Evicts 3000 Beggars - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Evicts 3000 Beggars (7058 Views)

Adamawa Impeachment: Hotel Evicts Nyako Probe Panel / India Evicts Nigerians Over ‘Photocopy Passports’ / Gabon Evicts 215 Nigerian Fishermen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Evicts 3000 Beggars by OAM4J: 6:52pm On Dec 07, 2009
babapupa:

It's a tough job, somebody got to do it.

We'll get there, it's just a matter of time.

Eko o ni baje,

Nothing good comes easy or cheap.

Those against his move, can you suggest alternatives.
Re: Lagos Evicts 3000 Beggars by bawomolo(m): 6:59pm On Dec 07, 2009
does one lose the right to be a resident of a Nigerian state by being homeless? 

some civil rights are being violated here.
Re: Lagos Evicts 3000 Beggars by Kay17: 7:03pm On Dec 07, 2009
they should not be forced or restricted. if they are guilty of any crime, there are procedures to be followed, a trial at least would be conducted. its because they are poor and helpless. this is not a military govt and the beggars should reap the fruits of democracy and freedom.
Re: Lagos Evicts 3000 Beggars by Nobody: 7:16pm On Dec 07, 2009
Its not because they are but that they dont have anything reasonable doing in lagos.What need be done must be done,
Re: Lagos Evicts 3000 Beggars by raphy(m): 7:51pm On Dec 07, 2009
wazup!
i think he make the right choice in evicting the beggers. its seems like any place some hausw ppl migrate to
it does not make them feel healthy there is one hausa guy who was with the team at jj okocha football talent hunt
he was so ill the weather does help hausa look at the president its seems like all the country that he has been to is affecting his health only GOD will help them. embarassed
Re: Lagos Evicts 3000 Beggars by Kay17: 8:09pm On Dec 07, 2009
~Bluetooth:

Its not because they are but that they dont have anything reasonable doing in lagos.What need be done must be done,
but they are not criminals. it is not the state's business if you are unemployed or is their place to know to define reasonable activity. as long as they do not commit crimes they are fine.
Re: Lagos Evicts 3000 Beggars by Allta(m): 8:14pm On Dec 07, 2009
Yah all know this doesn't make any sense?
As a Nigerian, beggar or no beggar, one is free to live in any part of the country.
Tell me, How is Fashola gonna make sure some of the beggars don't return to Lagos? Policing the boarders of Lagos? How do you tell one is a beggar at checkpoints? The color of his/her teeth?
If he was deporting Togo or Niger or even Bennin BeggArs, I go understand, but this one is pure uninformed nonesentical move.
Where else in the world does a state or county "deport" their fellow country men simply because they're from another state and are beggars? Well, na only Naija that kind thing dey happen. God help us.
Re: Lagos Evicts 3000 Beggars by kshow1(m): 10:45pm On Dec 07, 2009
PurestBoy:

Fashola is a big foooooooooooooooollll grin

If your folks were returned back to base, that is not enough reasons to abuse someone who is trying to sanitise the sytem
Re: Lagos Evicts 3000 Beggars by silvernice(m): 11:07pm On Dec 07, 2009
those dirty stinking beggars should return to their states since they contribute to congestion and pose threats to security both day and night. if u love a beggar then you can employ him and not sit down there criticising fashola for a job well done.
Re: Lagos Evicts 3000 Beggars by SapeleGuy: 12:13am On Dec 08, 2009
bawomolo:

does one lose the to be a resident of a Nigerian state by being homeless?

some civil rights are being violated here.

I shared your concern initially but there must be no room for sentiment. How can you leave your place with the sole intention of begging?
Those states who are receiving federal allocations for them must be made to look after them.
Re: Lagos Evicts 3000 Beggars by bawomolo(m): 12:15am On Dec 08, 2009
SapeleGuy:

I shared your concern initially but there must be no room for sentiment. How can you leave your place with the sole intention of begging?
Those states who are receiving federal allocations for them must be made to look after them.

their states must agree to take them back though.
Re: Lagos Evicts 3000 Beggars by Sauron1: 12:19am On Dec 08, 2009
r231:

The Lagos State Government has evacuated 3,000 beggars back to their various states and neighbouring countries in the last nine months.

Special Adviser to Governor Babatunde Raji Fashola on Youth, Sports and Social Development, Dr. Dolapo Badru, disclosed this yesterday at the celebration of the 2009 International Day of Persons With Disabilities in Lagos.

He said that some of the beggars were sent to ECOWAS countries, while others were sent to the northern states and other parts of the country.

According to him, the move was part of government’s programme to re-unite the beggars with their relations so that they can live meaningful lives.

MINT!!!!!!!!!
Re: Lagos Evicts 3000 Beggars by mamagee3(f): 2:54am On Dec 08, 2009
Fashola for President 2010!!!! tongue
Re: Lagos Evicts 3000 Beggars by nethacker(m): 8:06am On Dec 08, 2009
PurestBoy:

Fashola is a big foooooooooooooooollll grin
u must be mad for this statement. How dare u use such an adjective to qualify a peforming governor?infact the best governor 9ja has ever produced?
I dnt knw how IDIOTS like u pass exams wen u can't even see situations so glaring,clearly. angry
Anti-Fashola,animal in human skin. angry angry angry
Re: Lagos Evicts 3000 Beggars by gidson12(m): 8:52am On Dec 08, 2009
well, even New york gat beggars in the cities too, wat about that, where they deported,
and to where would they have been the deported to if the need be wink
Re: Lagos Evicts 3000 Beggars by Nobody: 9:11am On Dec 08, 2009
@gidson 21
if new york has beggars i dont know since i haven't been there but i doubt it because a developed country like the united state would not want useless people parading its street.
Re: Lagos Evicts 3000 Beggars by nethacker(m): 9:41am On Dec 08, 2009
~Bluetooth:

@gidson 21
if new york has beggars i dont know since i haven't been there but i doubt it because a developed country like the united state would not want useless people parading its street.
well said.u just said my mind. If he had said micreants and thugs,i will agree.but beggars on dat streets of NY shocked shocked lailai tongue
Re: Lagos Evicts 3000 Beggars by Kay17: 12:02pm On Dec 08, 2009
a qualification to be deported from Lagos is to be homeless. NY and London have homeless people and cater them, but here fashola throws them out. and security threats from invalids? its those omo isale eko that should be deported to their local govts.
Re: Lagos Evicts 3000 Beggars by bootstrap(m): 12:34pm On Dec 08, 2009
WE BETTER PRAY OUR BEGGARS DON'T GO ON STRIKE coz, it sure won't be too pleasant. We shld take our toll from AMINATA SOW FALLS' BEGGARS' STRIKE. tongue tongue grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Evicts 3000 Beggars by JProspero: 2:46pm On Dec 08, 2009
Poverty is no crime but begging is a vice. Any human being who is not completely mentally handicapped has no excuse to beg -whether blind, crippled, deaf, dumb, disfigured etc.

The begging spirit is a terrible spirit.

Beggars must be counselled to learn a trade and feed themselves.
Re: Lagos Evicts 3000 Beggars by yeswecan(m): 3:21pm On Dec 08, 2009
It just dawns on me[i] i have not seen any Igbo beggar.[/i].by tribe.
Re: Lagos Evicts 3000 Beggars by Nezan(m): 3:42pm On Dec 08, 2009
@OP; He should have done better by empowering those poor nigerians.
Re: Lagos Evicts 3000 Beggars by Kay17: 3:55pm On Dec 08, 2009
when able people are unable find employment, gain entry into schools, you expect invalids to get any luck. how many people employ them? they are a disadvantage and socially ostracised especially in a superstitious society,
Re: Lagos Evicts 3000 Beggars by paddylo1(m): 4:54pm On Dec 08, 2009
WE BETTER PRAY OUR BEGGARS DON'T GO ON STRIKE coz, it sure won't be too pleasant. We shld take our toll from AMINATA SOW FALLS' BEGGARS' STRIKE.

i read that book. . .when i was 12yrs old or so. . .damn i have completely 4gotten what the beggars where striking about.

well said.u just said my mind. If he had said micreants and thugs,i will agree.but beggars on dat streets of NY lailai

of course there are beggars and homeless ppl on the streets of every major american city. . ,

even d.c that houses mr president seems to be the worst. . .

however the key is to properly manage them,so they dont constitute a nuisance
Re: Lagos Evicts 3000 Beggars by jumaingirl(f): 5:08pm On Dec 08, 2009
BLUETHOOT. Just take a look at what u type, Who are the Lagosians? is it the Lagos state indigine or the inhabitants? are the beggars not also lagosians? see ur big head. EDUCATED ILLETRATE LYK U grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Evicts 3000 Beggars by gidson12(m): 5:30pm On Dec 08, 2009
thank u paddy_lo
new york is one of the cities in America with high number of the homeless and beggars ,
yes there must always be beggars, the issue is about managing them, cos these beggars
would still come back
Re: Lagos Evicts 3000 Beggars by Nobody: 5:33pm On Dec 08, 2009
@jumaingirl
Those beggars are not lagosians.If u stay in lagos,look around & see those almajiris.I guess you are not blind to see that they are northerners.
Re: Lagos Evicts 3000 Beggars by Singular: 7:24pm On Dec 08, 2009
So? If they are northerners are they not Nigerians? We from Lagos gan gan will forever consider people from Enugu, Kaduna, Akwa Ibom, wherever, as Lagosians as long as they have lived there. Lagos state of mind is not in genes. Its in Lagos! You live in Lagos? You are a Lagosian!
Re: Lagos Evicts 3000 Beggars by Nobody: 7:38pm On Dec 08, 2009
Can an igbo or hausa man be a lagosian because he lives in lagos?.How many yoruba from the south western state have claimed to be an igbo or haus.Go and look for your origin mr singular
Re: Lagos Evicts 3000 Beggars by Sauron1: 7:41pm On Dec 08, 2009
~Bluetooth:

Can an igbo or hausa man be a lagosian because he lives in lagos?.How many yoruba from the south western state have claimed to be an igbo or haus.Go and look for your origin mr singular

I think anyone who's been in Lagos for more than 10 years is a Lagosian.
However, i welcome the eviction of those beggars.
Re: Lagos Evicts 3000 Beggars by namun(f): 8:07pm On Dec 08, 2009
fashola is doin the right thing. please, their governors sjould take care of them. okay
plaes eko baje ttiiiiiiiii
Re: Lagos Evicts 3000 Beggars by Nobody: 8:23pm On Dec 08, 2009
Look at reasonable people talking here.I'm tired of all these third class graduates on nairaland.Although,i'm not surprise,some went to nite school.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

We Will Resist Privatisation Of Electricity / GEJ Is a Failure- Willie Obiano / Chelsea Has Appointed Rowan Atkinson As New Manager, Mourino Sacked

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.