Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,184 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:56 AM

Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine (22448 Views)

Ibu Faith Graduates With Distinction In MSc From University Of Bedfordshire, UK / Warriboy Graduated With Distinction In Masters In I.T Indiana USA (pics)(vids) / Nigerian Lady Bags 1st Class In BSc & Distinction In MSc Outside Nigeria(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by OlamideOkadigbo(m): 7:38am On Feb 10, 2017
gadgetsngs:
I might be wrong , but i dont think there is anythig like distinction or any grade in Medicine .What i have heard is maybe distiction in some of the courses Like Pathology and the rest .Medics in the house , over to you
There could be a distinction on the certificate but the requirement is pretty difficult.
You must have at least 5 distinctions in d 10 courses u took. At least one of d distinction must come in clinical year and all your exams must be cleared at one sitting. If u fulfill all the above, a distinction(Hons) will be on your MBChB certificate.
Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by OlamideOkadigbo(m): 7:41am On Feb 10, 2017
solaere:
nope dia's classes in dia degree too my broda did medicine too he had 2.1 so its possible
There is nothing like 2.1. It is either MBChB HONS or MBChB OGUN OR LAGOS OR OYO OR WHATEVER

1 Like

Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by hitman2911: 7:42am On Feb 10, 2017
The issue of grade or class of degree depends on the university system. Most Nigerian medical colleges follow the British system where all you need is to have 50% in all your courses but can get distinctions that is above 70% in individual courses.
The American system is course credit unit system of having different classes.
This young Doc seems to have obtained 7 distinctions in all his medical courses which is a rare feat. It is normally people having 2 or 3 distinctions. His certificate will still read PASS with 7 distinctions not first class or 2:1.
Wish him the best. A successful medic is not in high grade but impact on patients.

2 Likes

Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by OLUWAFUNMISE(f): 7:42am On Feb 10, 2017
congrats
Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by sammhi(m): 7:58am On Feb 10, 2017
InyinyaAgbaOku:
There is no distinction in medicine.
Fake.
You either pass or fail
There is distinction in medicine . There is a course called medicine (internal medicine ) . It is usually the final year exam
Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by Saheed9: 8:24am On Feb 10, 2017
kenonze:
Hmmmm
I would like to know the requirement.

I haven't heard of Distinction in medicine at MBBS level.
U can only have distinction in various postings thus becoming the BGS (best graduating student)
Distinction in medicine doesn't make u better than ur colleagues.
clinical practice is a different ball game from school work.

it's called MB.CHB, Hons. that's when you have at least 3 distinctions in basic medical sciences and 1 in the clinical sciences. this guy had 5 distinctions including 1 in clinicals. surgery to be precise
Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by Saheed9: 8:30am On Feb 10, 2017
StarBukola:
No b pass them dey give all medicine student, abi am wrong ni?
it's called MB.CHB, Hons. that's when you have at least 3 distinctions in basic medical sciences and 1 in the clinical sciences. this guy had 5 distinctions including 1 in clinicals. surgery to be precise
Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by Saheed9: 8:31am On Feb 10, 2017
kenonze:
Hmmmm

U can only have distinction in various postings thus becoming the BGS (best graduating student)

Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by ChelseaDr(m): 8:35am On Feb 10, 2017
I congratulate this doctor, he has done pretty well, congrats to him.

A lot of people who contributed above have no knowledge of how medicine is run in Nigeria neither do they know about what degree doctors are awarded, but thank God for all those who came to rescue them and fed them with the right information @StarBukola, InyinyaAgbaOku, hitman2911, mediocre etc

When a doctor graduates, he/she is awarded MBBS or MBChB depending on the school, with PASS. You may have had distinctions in most of the courses but you graduate with PASS, which is not interpreted as a grade but a confirmation of haven gotten the minimum requirements to be registered, provisionally, to practice under supervision for a maximum of two years (in case of not getting a place for housemanship on time) before being fully registered.

There is nothing like graduating with a 2;1 in Medicine,. again, that one had distinctions in Pharmacology, Pathology, paediatrics or other courses does not mean you will have distinction on your certificate, even if you have distinction in all the courses, you can only be given a special recognition by the school or her Senate, which I think is what happened in the index case.

@Solaere, if your brother told you he graduated with a 2:1 grade in Medicine & Surgery, and he is practicing as a "doctor", after reading this post tell him to go back and write JAMB and enter any Medical school of his choice to actualise his dream of becoming a doctor, because it is not too late yet, he can still make it, otherwise, I will advise you and your family members and all the people you know to NEVER take any prescription he will give you otherwise, the rate of NEAR MISS (SEVERE MOBIDITY) or even MORYALITY that will be recorded will be unprecedented.

I will not call him a quack because I know he can still correct the mistake of the past.

Again congratulations to the young doctor.

3 Likes

Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by woodmood: 8:54am On Feb 10, 2017
webincomeplus:

If you don't know something, you verify rather than try to force your ignorance down people's throats. There is distinction in medicine.

Unfortunately, these are the type of people we have these days especially on nairaland. They do not know and are not ready to learn. Most especially highlighting their stupidity publicly with so much gusto and arrogance.
Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by bahaushe1: 8:56am On Feb 10, 2017
kenonze:
Hmmmm

It is obvious he is the best graduating student of his set and the University's all time best graduating medical student with distinctions in 7 subjects out of 10. It is also obvious that the author is not conversant with medical training and that is why you have things like " requirements for getting a distinction", "courses" in the article.
As for distinction in medicine, again I think they mean 'distintion in INTERNAL MEDICINE ' which is very possible.
Congratulations to him and welcome to the club!
Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by bigsmoke2(m): 9:02am On Feb 10, 2017
only medical student can get the full picture of what this guy has managed to achieve. It's next to impossible. Having a distinction in the clinical years. Truly salute this brother in arm he has done something worth celebrating
Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by bahaushe1: 9:02am On Feb 10, 2017
StarBukola:
Nop. Pass Mark is 50% for all subjects.
50 - 59 is graded as C (pass)
60 - 69 is graded as B (credit)
70 and above is graded as A (distinction)
But the degree is unclassified i.e you can't have first class, second class, third class, etc medical doctor.
Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by bahaushe1: 9:04am On Feb 10, 2017
InyinyaAgbaOku:
There is no distinction in medicine.
Fake.
You either pass or fail
Oh yes there is distinction in individual subjects taken in medical school. He got distinctions in 7 subjects out of 10 including a distinction in INTERNAL MEDICINE.
Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by gloryman91: 9:07am On Feb 10, 2017
All glory be to Allah.
Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by bahaushe1: 9:07am On Feb 10, 2017
solaere:
nope dia's classes in dia degree too my broda did medicine too he had 2.1 so its possible
MBBS degree is not classified. There is nothing like 2:1 in MBBS.
Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by bahaushe1: 9:12am On Feb 10, 2017
OlamideOkadigbo:
I am a medical student in OOU and I can authoritatively tell you there is distinction in medicine. Infact I just had a distinction in pharmacology in the part two MB result released yesterday (the only distinction in d class).
50-59% is pass, 60-69% is credit, 70% and above is distinction.
However it is easier for a bull to pass through the needle's eye than to score the 50% required to pass. After any professional exam(MB), abt half of d class pass and half of d class fail and 95% of those that passed will have btw 50-59%. So usually, we say medicine is all about pass or fail because for u to pass, u would probably av a 1st class in any other course.
However, Dr Alabi Olugbenga Saheed aka Chromo is a special breed. He had distinctions in 7 out of 10 courses. The one I had yesterday was my first out of 5 courses so far.
Again, on the certificate, what is usually wtitten is MBChB OGUN. But for Chromo, they wrote MBChB Hons.(d university senate requested a special certificate for him). A truly outstanding achievement.
Good clarification but you are taught SUBJECTS not COURSES in medical school. You take pharmacology as a SUBJECT not as a COURSE.
Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by theway83: 9:19am On Feb 10, 2017
igi iwe,the guy counting a lot of book's
Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by debuscket(m): 9:22am On Feb 10, 2017
1st class in medicine, hmm mm
I case my rest
Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by Drealthing(m): 11:13am On Feb 10, 2017
Muslim Yoruba. Na dem.

1 Like

Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by jefdr001: 11:19am On Feb 10, 2017
Here in my school there are 3 categories of results : fail, pass, and distinction. Yes it's possible to have distinctions in anatomy, bch, physio, pathology, pharmacology, ong, paediatric, medicine, surgery, and com med. Tho some dpts can never give you distinction in this shit hole no matter how good you may be, but let's know that it's possible.. I dove hat for this chief if his med college is anything like mine.
Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by Spidermon: 12:37pm On Feb 10, 2017
I guess his distinction is from the Medicine part of his Clinical phase of study.

Distinctions are awarded in particular depts in med sch when you average 70% and above in all their courses.

However, that only counts in the academia. In practice, it is in the application in the field that you determine true excellence.
Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by deejerrydee: 4:43pm On Feb 10, 2017
What's the name of your school?

jefdr001:
Here in my school there are 3 categories of results : fail, pass, and distinction. Yes it's possible to have distinctions in anatomy, bch, physio, pathology, pharmacology, ong, paediatric, medicine, surgery, and com med. Tho some dpts can never give you distinction in this shit hole no matter how good you may be, but let's know that it's possible.. I dove hat for this chief if his med college is anything like mine.
Re: Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine by toprealman: 10:22pm On Feb 10, 2017
StarBukola:
For dome schools, 50 na pass, others na 60. If someone scores >80 in seven out of 10, s/he deserves some applause.
PSquare talk am.....e no easy.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Defence Academy Prospective Student,let's Meet Here. / Where Can I Download Full Further Maths Project 2 Textbook / Nigerian Dropout Alexander Amosu Bags Honorary PhD In Enterpreurship(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.