Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,523 members, 7,819,883 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:54 AM

Unpaid Salaries: Kogi Workers And Their Children Turn To Beggrr For Survival - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Unpaid Salaries: Kogi Workers And Their Children Turn To Beggrr For Survival (484 Views)

Ekiti Workers Give Fayose 14-day Ultimatum To Clear Unpaid Salaries / Yahaya Bello To Kogi Workers: Keep Shouting Or Go Meet Donald Trump I Don't Care / "We Are Dying, Pay Our Salaries" - Kogi Workers Tell Governor Yahaya Bello (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unpaid Salaries: Kogi Workers And Their Children Turn To Beggrr For Survival by vickodedon(m): 8:40pm On Feb 10, 2017
Several Kogi State workers in public and civil service, have turned to begging to survive the hard economic realities in the state.

It was observed that workers, in a bid to cope with the harsh economic condition foisted on them by unpaid salaries, had devised different means to beg in order to fulfil their financial obligations.

The civil and public servants being owed about thirteen  months’ salaries by the Governor Yahaya Bello-led administration, could no longer meet their personal and family obligations.

Many of them were said to be unable to pay their bills, children’s school fees and service their accommodation expenses.

Due to their inability to pay transportation fares, most of them could no longer attend to go to their work places and church activities while persons who managed to go end up begging for fares to go back home.

Some of them said they were dying of hunger, adding that they no longer went to work because of the lack of money for transport and feeding.They recalled that Bello had promised to promptly pay salaries of workers, but wondered why the governor, who was no longer executing projects, could not pay workers.

One of them, who spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of victimisation, said he stopped going to work because the government had not paid him since April  2016. Surviving in Kogi State has become so difficult.

Also, two ladies working for the state government were sighted on Ajaka Road, early hours of today, begging passers-by for N100 to go home after attending a morning church programme in Ajaka, Igalamela/Odolu LGA of Kogi State.

Though many people turned them down, they leapt up in joy when eventually a Good Samaritan gave the duo N500 to go home.

A food vendor, who identified herself simply as Yaya Rekia along Emachi road Ajaka,  said the hardship had affected her so much that most of her customers no longer patronised her.

She said, “Before, my small shop used to bubble with patronage. I would finish selling before 9pm every day.

“But everything has changed. I have reduced the quantity I cook, yet I can’t finish selling my food even up to 12am. I carry them home. I am even considering closing my shop.”

However, most residents have blamed the development on the leadership style of Bello, saying he stifled the economy on assuming office as the governor of the state.

Though we appreciated the economic situation in the state, we , however, appealed to Bello to pay the workers so that they could  meet their personal and family obligations. We are on the air, calling on the government to pay the unpaid salaries.

“While we understand the economic situation in the country and how it also affects the states, we are still asking that the government should pay all the outstanding salaries of workers, particularly the pensioners and of course, the local government workers.

The official,  who did not want his name mentioned, said, “So, why is Bello so peculiar that Graphic Newspapers want to do a report on him ?
Re: Unpaid Salaries: Kogi Workers And Their Children Turn To Beggrr For Survival by hexy40: 8:49pm On Feb 10, 2017
This is sad, another problem is when you begin, u might be begging people with even worse condition.
Re: Unpaid Salaries: Kogi Workers And Their Children Turn To Beggrr For Survival by Ahmadgani(m): 8:52pm On Feb 10, 2017
Bello has failed
Re: Unpaid Salaries: Kogi Workers And Their Children Turn To Beggrr For Survival by success1smyn(m): 8:57pm On Feb 10, 2017
serious

(1) (Reply)

One Minute To Speak with President Buhari, What Would You Tell Him? / You Laid A Sound Foundation, Gowon Told Awolowo In 1971 Letter / Peace And Conflict Resolution As A Task

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.