Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,323 members, 7,829,798 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:54 AM

African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) - Sports (32) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) (43342 Views)

Poll: What's your prediction?

Nigeria wins: 63% (118 votes)
Egypt wins: 23% (44 votes)
Draw: 12% (24 votes)
This poll has ended

Egypt Vs Nigeria: Player Rating / Egypt Vs Nigeria AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 0 on 29th March 2016 / Sweden Vs Nigeria (3 - 3) Fifa Women's World Cup On 8th June, 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (38) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by princekevo(m): 7:17am On Jan 13, 2010
Sagamite:

As I said, if he has not failed, I will not condemn him, he deserves his chance. Definitely not going to judge on one game.

Even the greatest coaches have stinkers. Was it not Wenger that lost 6-1 to Man U?

They played a good first half (some even brilliant) but the second half was horrible. No doubt Shehata is and has always been a better coach than Amodu and Zidan used his brain alot unlike our players.

I thought Amodu was the best?
So if he is not, what does it cost us to get the best coach to do the job instead of wasting our money on the average and wasting the same amount on the tournament that we all know will yield lil or no result?
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by Chefo(m): 7:25am On Jan 13, 2010
I'm Speechless. Chai my television has gone.   undecided undecided
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by FBS: 7:32am On Jan 13, 2010
Chefo:

I'm Speechless. Chai my television has gone.   undecided undecided
LOL!!! outta window I guess?  grin  grin  grin

@ topic,

The issue of lack of passion and determination among our players has been flogged time and time over on NL's sports board. Unfortunately though we are yet to see the changes. Do we as a team and Nation expect to be doing the same thing continuously but expect a different result? Amodu and the players should wake up.

They got tired after a brilliant 20-30 mins.

Too early to judge them boys though. We are late starters in competitions. The Next match (or 2 matches) will decide.
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by omar22(m): 7:36am On Jan 13, 2010
Even the greatest coaches have stinkers. Was it not Wenger that lost 6-1 to Man U?

***EARTH CALLING SAGAMITE****
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by HNIC(m): 7:58am On Jan 13, 2010
Wow!
Too many emotional outbursts here. . . . . .
FFS, It's just the first match . . . . .
Do i have to reel out teams that were beaten in their first match in a tournament and still either won or got to the finals
I don't think much of Amodu or the team either tongue
But judging a team after just one match is a tad silly.
The first 25-30 minutes was ok, but unfortunately, we lost the plot thereafter.
The Egyptians weren't spectacular.
they had a gameplan and stuck with it.
They exploited our weaknesses and took full advantage.
It's the first match,the question is that, DID we learn something?
Suffice to say though, I was personally disgusted with the lack of fight after we went down 1-2
No urgency, No desperation(apart from 40 yards tired shots from TT)
A win against Benin on saturday and a change of attitude will put us back in it.
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by kolaoloye(m): 7:59am On Jan 13, 2010
I wasn't disappointed. I said it before: "Amodu is a total rubbish".
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by hollandis(f): 8:01am On Jan 13, 2010
taiye taiwo omashe
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by dayokanu(m): 8:04am On Jan 13, 2010
Amodu, Mikel, Yakubu, Kanu, Yobo and those other EPL players are a disgrace.

Mikel is the most overrated player in this country, How can a so called Chelsea player be so mediocre in the team.

I saw Mohammed Kallon in Sierra Leone, Titi Kamara for Guinea, George Weah for Liberia (Not to talk of Drogba and Essien) an thy made a difference in their team.

Yakubu is over 40, You think this is a joke? OK Yakubu officially played for Okomu Oil in 1995 that is 15 years ago and he couldnt have been less than 25 years then, So how old u think say he be now?

Kanus mates are already coaches and grandfathers.

Yobos oversized lips are the cause of his problems.

Ayila, Etuhu dont even exist.

Yussuf Mohammed is an AL QAEDA agent sent to distabilise us. He was more of an Egyptian striker than a Nigerian defender.

Egypt without Barakat, Aboutrika and Amr Zaki took us to school. SMH
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by tkb417(m): 8:06am On Jan 13, 2010
HNIC:

Wow!
Too many emotional outbursts here. . . . . .
FFS, It's just the first match . . . . .
Do i have to reel out teams that were beaten in their first match in a tournament and still either won or got to the finals
I don't think much of Amodu or the team either tongue
But judging a team after just one match is a tad silly.
The first 25-30 minutes was ok, but unfortunately, we lost the plot thereafter.
The Egyptians weren't spectacular.
they had a gameplan and stuck with it.
They exploited our weaknesses and took full advantage.
It's the first match,the question is that, DID we learn something?
Suffice to say though, I was personally disgusted with the lack of fight after we went down 1-2
No urgency, No desperation(apart from 40 yards tired shots from TT)
A win against Benin on saturday and a change of attitude will put us back in it.
maybe u heard the commentary on radio

they were outclassed by an average egyptian side

fyi, either of Kano pillars or heartland walloped majority of the players that dealt with us yesterday

so people shdnt talk after a dismal first game? we shd wait till benin beat us 4-0

thts crazy

Amodu is a rat with half of his brains filled with sawdust
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by lordimpaq(m): 8:09am On Jan 13, 2010
dayokanu:

Yakubu is over 40, You think this is a joke? OK Yakubu officially played for Okomu Oil in 1995 that is 15 years ago and he couldnt have been less than 25 years then, So how old u think say he be now?

God knows

dayokanu:

Yobos oversized lips are the cause of his problems.

Very funny.

dayokanu:

Ayila, Etuhu dont even exist.

Well the former tried,

dayokanu:

Yussuf Mohammed is an AL QAEDA agent sent to distabilise us. He was more of an Egyptian striker than a Nigerian defender.

that is quite offensive, because he actually had a good first half

dayokanu:

Egypt without Barakat, Aboutrika and Amr Zaki took us to school. SMH

would have been 5-1 if they had played.
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by zaragoza(m): 8:11am On Jan 13, 2010
Is it not obvious that we dont have a coach? Just imagine, when mikel was beginning to attack and impose himself on d game he replaced him wit someone who wld slow d game down! Yakubu had no shot on or off target for 94mins and d coach still left him there 4 d entire game, i dunno if he shares Yakubu's allowance wit him? Even a half fit martins is beta off. Cant believe dat Nsofor has bin fit all these while, he picked Kalu uche on d left flank over nsofor.
Verdict: Amodu is tacteless and therefore unfit to be a coach, he doesnt read games!
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by thisme(m): 8:12am On Jan 13, 2010
It is well Nigeria will get there! Nigeria will win this nation cup!
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by lordimpaq(m): 8:12am On Jan 13, 2010
tkb417:

so people shdnt talk after a dismal first game? we shd wait till benin beat us 4-0

haba, no now, they won't beat us that much, they would only beat us 2-0,

tkb417:

Amodu is a rat with half of his brains filled with sawdust

i thot it was filled with sand, undecided
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by dayokanu(m): 8:13am On Jan 13, 2010
The only sensible thing Amodu did yesterday was to remove Mikel.

Mikel was completely clueless for 79 minutes and he was supposed to be the playmaker.

Fom the last Olympics where Siasia dropped Mikel it became obvious that any serious coach wouldnt play Mikel with his backpasses.

Its better to play with 10 players than have Mikel on the field.
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by dayokanu(m): 8:14am On Jan 13, 2010
In case you missed the shame

[flash=500,400]http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/c1X8glypEms&feature=player_embedded[/flash]
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by lordimpaq(m): 8:20am On Jan 13, 2010
dayokanu:

Mikel was completely clueless for 79 minutes and he was supposed to be the playmaker.

Fom the last Olympics where Siasia dropped Mikel it became obvious that any serious coach wouldnt play Mikel with his backpasses.

i don't believe that, that above is in your own opinion,

i believe that we even had a better chance with him on the field,
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by lawrence83: 8:22am On Jan 13, 2010
Everybody just de Bleep this our [b]cunt[/b]ry up
politicians de do there own
Bankers de Bleep there own
Now na super eagles tym to Bleep am up
This my [b]cunt[/b]ry don tire me ooooooooo
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by simcare: 8:23am On Jan 13, 2010
Amodu is not a coach, He knows nothing about tactics, How could he substituted Mikel for Kanu who lack pace,whose reaction time is very slow, and could not fall back to help the defence.The speed of soccer at this time has made kanu irrelevant in super eagles' team. Amodu should be sack now or else nothing for Nigeria in this nation cup and world cup.
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by FBS: 8:27am On Jan 13, 2010
dayokanu:

Sometimes I wonder how people watch football.  undecided

SUPER EAGLES PLAYER RATINGS

Vincent Enyeama 7
Exposed over and over by his defence. Had to come out for that ball with his defenders nowhere to be found.

Yusuf Mohammed 4
Continually lost his man and was under pressure for most of the game.

Taye Taiwo 5
Strong defensively, when he stayed home to defend. Got caught when he advanced and was slow to track back.

Joseph Yobo 6
Kept his composure and held his own against Zidan, but should have organised his defence better.

Obinna Nwaneri 5
Tried too hard to cover for Taiwo and was left out of position on too many occasions.

Yusuf Ayila 6
Strong in the tackle, full of running, kept it simple.

Dickson Etuhu 6
Silently covered plenty of ground, but could have done more to cover for Taiwo.

John Mikel Obi 6
Did not quite take charge of the offensive midfield position, but still shouldn’t have been subbed.

Chinedu Obasi 8
Star of the show, and not just for his goal. Ran rings around Moawad and his defending was the reason Mohammed was not exposed more at right-back.

Kalu Uche 5
Missed three glorious opportunities that could have sealed the game for Nigeria. Offered no defensive cover for his fullback. Would have been a four but for the assist he gave to Obasi for the goal.

Yakubu Ayegbeni 3
Offered little.

Obinna Nsofor 4
Came on and tried to run at the defence, but it didn’t quite fall for him

Kanu 3
No time for him to warm himself into the game to make a difference.

Shuaibu Amodu 4
It could all have been so different. All he had to do was take out the ineffectual Yakubu at the midway point and get on Nsofor earlier. And how do you explain taking off Mikel for Kanu?

http://www.kickoff.com/static/news/article.php?id=13284
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by dayokanu(m): 8:31am On Jan 13, 2010
An who is kickoff magazine to start with?

John Mikel Obi 6
Did not quite take charge of the offensive midfield position, but still shouldn’t have been subbed.

Doesnt that statement tell you the writer is a retard? Someone whom you wrote didnt do his duties but in the same sentence shouldnt have been removed.

Mikel was on the field for 79 minutes, what positive contribution did he make. Or you believe by some stroke of Haitian Voodoo he would conjure up something in the last 10 minutes aside from his usual backpasses?
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by FBS: 8:38am On Jan 13, 2010
dayokanu:

An who is kickoff magazine to start with?

John Mikel Obi 6

Doesnt that statement tell you the writer is a retard? Someone whom you wrote didnt do his duties but in the same sentence shouldnt have been removed.
Mikel was on the field for 79 minutes, what positive contribution did he make. Or you believe by some stroke of Haitian Voodoo he would conjure up something in the last 10 minutes aside from his usual backpasses?
Ha I see, goal.com is better abi or you want stats from soccernet.com? How different are they?
Tell me how Etuhu and Ayila contributed?
Of the 3 DMs we played , Mikel was miles above them. Except  maybe you watched a different match.
He made 3 - 4 super passes that the strikers could not convert. A single chance was/is enough to score a goal, abi no be so?
I'm not defending Mikel per say (we all expect more from him especially with his passes), but saying he was the worst player on the pitch is talking crap. And who was the sub- Kanu? Can you tell us what Amodu was trying to do?
Taiwo IMO should be benched for the next match. His left back position was our weakest point!! Plus no one was there to cover his a.s.s.

From goal.com

Mikel: 7 - Why was he taken off? Nigeria's most capable playmaker was withdrawn despite being the only midfielder responsible enough to take hold of the ball and try to make something happen. Needs to brush up on his pass selection but the Super Eagles are a better side with him, rather than without.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/815/african-nations-cup/2010/01/12/1740803/africa-cup-of-nations-player-ratings-egypt-3-1-nigeria
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by chrisical(m): 8:45am On Jan 13, 2010
I was not surprised. I knew the super chickens would get the rout of the Egyptians
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by dayokanu(m): 8:46am On Jan 13, 2010
Ha I see, goal.com is better abi or you want stats from soccernet.com? How different are they?
Tell me how Etuhu and Ayila contributed?
Of the 3 DMs we played , Mikel was miles above them. Except  maybe you watched a different match.
He made 3 - 4 super passes that the strikers could not convert. A single change was/is enough to score a goal, abi no be so.
I'm not defending Mikel per say (we all expect more from him), but saying he was the worst player on the pitch is talking crap.
Taiwo IMO should be benched for the next match. His left back position was our weakest point!! Plus no one was there to cover his a.s.s.

Tell me something, The reporter said Mikel didnt perform his duties So what should be done to someone who doesnt perform his duties? Isnt it substitution?

If all the players had hoods on their head and no names on their back everyone would have seen how crappy Mikel was. To some Nigerians who are devoted to hero worship, the name Mikel cant do anythong wrong. If he gives a bad pass we blame the recipient for not anticipating the pass or not thinking at Mikels level. The same problem we had with Jay Jay when he was playing

Of the midfielders Ayila played best, followed by Etuhu. The worst player on the field should be shared by Yakubu, Yobo and Mikel coincidentally all play in EPL.

Taiwo plays like a Roberto Carlos who offer very little in defence and leaves the defence very open but Yobo being the CB and Captain should coordinate one of the midfielders to cover Taiwo's runs
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by MrCrackles(m): 8:50am On Jan 13, 2010
Hahaha. . . .Mayhem and palpitations amongst the super chicken's supporters. . . .
Na today, Nigerian Football Stinks!!!! tongue
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by lordimpaq(m): 8:51am On Jan 13, 2010
dayokanu:

Tell me something, The reporter said Mikel didnt perform his duties So what should be done to someone who doesnt perform his duties? Isnt it substitution?

substitition yes, but who? Kanu? No way,
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by dayokanu(m): 8:54am On Jan 13, 2010
Removing Mikel is a very good move even if he wasnt replaced,

It might have been better if Mikel copped a red card . His influence on the team was soo negative
Kanu might not be the solution but he is Amodus agemate
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by FBS: 8:56am On Jan 13, 2010
^^^ Did you also see this goal.com? Any sane person will ask the same question why was he taken off? For Kanu?  shocked pluzzzzzzzzzz!!! Wetin Osaze dey bench for?

Mikel: 7 - Why was he taken off? Nigeria's most capable playmaker was withdrawn despite being the only midfielder responsible enough to take hold of the ball and try to make something happen. Needs to brush up on his pass selection but the Super Eagles are a better side with him, rather than without.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/815/african-nations-cup/2010/01/12/1740803/africa-cup-of-nations-player-ratings-egypt-3-1-nigeria

No one is hero worshipping no baga. Mikel needs to STEP UP. I have always said that but don't ever say he was the worst player on the pitch. That is very wrong from all angles.

How many runs did Taiwo make yesterday? None!!! if you don't count the lame effort of a shot straight at the keeper. TT is no Carlos so forget it.  

You are drunk with your hatred for England and any player playing in the EPL so no need arguing with you. You are a nazi and as such wouldn't expect you to be objective.
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by lordimpaq(m): 8:59am On Jan 13, 2010
FBS:

^^^ Did you also see this goal.com? Any sane person will ask the same question why was he taken off? And for whom - Kanu?  shocked pluzzzzzzzzzz!!! Wetin Osaze dey bench for?

No one is hero worshipping no baga. Mikel needs to STEP UP. I have always said that but don't ever say he was the worst player on the pitch. That is very wrong from all angles.

How many runs did Taiwo make yesterday? None!!! if you don't count the lame effort of a shot straight at the keeper. TT is no Carlos so forget it.  

You are drunk with your hatred for England and any player playing in the EPL so no need arguing with you. You are a nazi and as such wouldn't expect you to be objective.

spot on, FBS, i don almost forget say the guy na bayern fan,

just beef, and pure beef,

okay, that apart, he still had a level of influence in the game as the other two DMs were clueless,
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by FBS: 9:01am On Jan 13, 2010
MrCrackles:

Hahaha. . . .Mayhem and palpitations amongst the super chicken's supporters. . . .
Na today, Nigerian Football Stinks!!!! tongue
For some of us . . .Nigeria is our country and we love and support her.
Leave us alone. tongue cool
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by lordimpaq(m): 9:03am On Jan 13, 2010
who is mrcrackles by d way, probably an exile in britain, grin
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by seunawo20(m): 9:06am On Jan 13, 2010
no be today oo. he don tey
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by dayokanu(m): 9:13am On Jan 13, 2010
The problem with our football is that most Nigerians are too sentimental and cant see anything wrong with our heroes
When Okocha was playing in France 98 against Denmark and wasting promising opportunities for selfish reasons most Nigerian analysts wont see it. Rather would blame others.

No one can still tell any meaningful contributions Mikel had in 79 minutes. Mikel played almost 90% of the entire game so what difference did he make while on the field.

Defensively he was a liability, attacking he was a liability. couldnt make attacking moves except his trade mark sideways passes

You are drunk with your hatred for England and any player playing in the EPL so no need arguing with you. You are a nazi and as such wouldn't expect you to be objective
I idolise Essien and Drogba I guess they are not playing in the same EPL Mikel, Aiyegbeni and Yobo play in. You dont need to strain your eyes to see quality.

The best 2 players on the field from both sides are Mohammed Zidan- Dortmund and Chinedu Ogbuke- Hoffenheim. both Bundesliga. Coincidence?

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (38) (Reply)

Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) / David Beckham In Tears As He Pays His Respects To Queen Elizabeth II (Video) / Everton Stars Celebrate Liverpool 2-0 Win In Anfield Dressing Room(Photos,Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.