Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,006 members, 7,835,411 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:48 AM

Nigerians Abroad,have U Been Accused Or Punished Because You Are From Nigeria? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians Abroad,have U Been Accused Or Punished Because You Are From Nigeria? (1069 Views)

Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 / Some Reasons Why Nigerians Abroad Are Not Coming Home / Nigerian Prisoners Abroad Have Rejected Option To Serve Jail Terms In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Abroad,have U Been Accused Or Punished Because You Are From Nigeria? by mistercee: 11:10pm On Dec 05, 2009
Nigerians abroad, have you been accused or punished for offence you did not commit simply because you are from Nigeria?
Pls. Tell us your own story.
Re: Nigerians Abroad,have U Been Accused Or Punished Because You Are From Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:08am On Dec 06, 2009
No, I haven't.
Re: Nigerians Abroad,have U Been Accused Or Punished Because You Are From Nigeria? by justwise(m): 10:21am On Dec 06, 2009
Not yet.
Re: Nigerians Abroad,have U Been Accused Or Punished Because You Are From Nigeria? by youngmill(m): 12:13pm On Dec 06, 2009
No, never. But why should you?
Re: Nigerians Abroad,have U Been Accused Or Punished Because You Are From Nigeria? by hadexman(m): 5:44pm On Dec 06, 2009
Well, have never been punished, but my accent often reveal my nationality and being ignored for this. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigerians Abroad,have U Been Accused Or Punished Because You Are From Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Dec 06, 2009
Yeah:: I couldn't renew ma permit here in my province because Nigerians has been ban by the state govt shocked

So I went thru ma nose to get it somewhere else
Re: Nigerians Abroad,have U Been Accused Or Punished Because You Are From Nigeria? by hadexman(m): 8:21pm On Dec 06, 2009
faakay:

Yeah:: I couldn't renew ma permit here in my province because Nigerians has been ban by the state govt shocked

So I went thru ma nose to get it somewhere else

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigerians Abroad,have U Been Accused Or Punished Because You Are From Nigeria? by noblegas2(m): 9:58pm On Dec 06, 2009
nOpe, still waitin for the day a mo`bleeper ll say sumfin ill to me & imma show him or her dat am a nigerian!!!!
Re: Nigerians Abroad,have U Been Accused Or Punished Because You Are From Nigeria? by Dotman01(m): 10:51pm On Dec 06, 2009
Noble_gas so wat would u do
Re: Nigerians Abroad,have U Been Accused Or Punished Because You Are From Nigeria? by kood: 11:16pm On Dec 06, 2009
If you live in a city where Nigerians have bad image then you will surely face the consequence. Like the guy that said he couldnt renew his permit in his city. That is part of the consequence many innocent Nigerians face in such a city.
Apart from this, as a black man you will sometimes meet people who will treat you bad just because of your colour not really because you are a Nigeria. Also, people who would think they are much better than you just because of the colour of your skin. Always, with this notion that blacks are ignorance and illiterate. I personally distaste this kind of people whenever I meet then and I never give them chance to treat me that way. I would rather show the person that he or she is the person that doesnt know anything.
personal experience is that I have been in some places that Nigerians have bad image and I as well face the consequence and I have also encounter people who are racists.
So, OP just be prepare for those kind of stuff and your instinct to handle the problem. you will face this problem mainly at the airports, immigration department, embassies, and sometimes in your work place or even your university.
Re: Nigerians Abroad,have U Been Accused Or Punished Because You Are From Nigeria? by omega25red(m): 4:25am On Dec 07, 2009
i remeber in senegal we were made fun of and told to our faces that because we were from nigeria they had to get more immigration officers out to search us. i was like wow this useless people with money that worth less than toilet paper are talking like this
Re: Nigerians Abroad,have U Been Accused Or Punished Because You Are From Nigeria? by snowdrops(m): 1:34pm On Dec 07, 2009
Generally people have deep seated suspicions/reservations of Nigerians.
At its extreme you are viewed as a "thief or a potential thief" because you come from this blessed country.
I have faced [mainly covert] discrimination from employers, fellow work mates, landlords, etc.
You have to win their trust, because they or someone they know have suffered in the hands of a Nigerian. Anyway one can understand why they take such stance.
Re: Nigerians Abroad,have U Been Accused Or Punished Because You Are From Nigeria? by justwise(m): 1:40pm On Dec 07, 2009
snowdrops:

Generally people have deep seated suspicions/reservations of Nigerians.
At its extreme you are viewed as a "thief or a potential thief" because you come from this blessed country.
I have faced [mainly covert] discrimination from employers, fellow work mates, landlords, etc.
You have to win their trust, because they or someone they know have suffered in the hands of a Nigerian. Anyway one can understand why they take such stance.

Completely agreed with u
Re: Nigerians Abroad,have U Been Accused Or Punished Because You Are From Nigeria? by Busybody2(f): 2:32pm On Dec 07, 2009
I am shocked to discover there are still a few Nigerians who are actually truthful enough to contribute to this topic and confess lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerians Abroad,have U Been Accused Or Punished Because You Are From Nigeria? by ayomidej(f): 3:12pm On Dec 07, 2009
No none and never grin
Re: Nigerians Abroad,have U Been Accused Or Punished Because You Are From Nigeria? by snowdrops(m): 3:18pm On Dec 07, 2009
ayomidej:

No none and never grin
Now thats is being unrealistic. Never say never. wink
Re: Nigerians Abroad,have U Been Accused Or Punished Because You Are From Nigeria? by ayomidej(f): 3:23pm On Dec 07, 2009
Now thats is being unrealistic. Never say never.

That's very realistic, as long as I don't get myself into TROUBLE
Re: Nigerians Abroad,have U Been Accused Or Punished Because You Are From Nigeria? by Basildon1(m): 3:34pm On Dec 07, 2009
ayomidej:

maybe the poster's wording are a bit harsh but you must have been discriminated against at some point in time or the other
Re: Nigerians Abroad,have U Been Accused Or Punished Because You Are From Nigeria? by justwise(m): 3:38pm On Dec 07, 2009
ayomidej:

Not really my sis, sometimes u don't need to get into trouble to be treated unfairly just for being a Nigerian.
They generalised,
Re: Nigerians Abroad,have U Been Accused Or Punished Because You Are From Nigeria? by ubiaa5(f): 12:52am On Dec 08, 2009
discriminated on 4 being black.i went into a department store 2 yrs ago,one of the sales person walked up to me without my asking 4 assistance and said the clearance racks are in the back,i was so pissed n i said to her what makes u thinks i cant afford the regular priced item,she immediately turned red n started apologising.Bottomline she saw a bleck person n assumed i was too poor to buy anything.
Re: Nigerians Abroad,have U Been Accused Or Punished Because You Are From Nigeria? by MrCrackles(m): 12:54am On Dec 08, 2009
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Maybe your appearance and not your colour fuc.ked you up on the day grin
Re: Nigerians Abroad,have U Been Accused Or Punished Because You Are From Nigeria? by ubiaa5(f): 12:59am On Dec 08, 2009
i went there from court so i was well decked out.
Re: Nigerians Abroad,have U Been Accused Or Punished Because You Are From Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:24am On Dec 10, 2009
Sucks to be a Nigerian huh cheesy
Re: Nigerians Abroad,have U Been Accused Or Punished Because You Are From Nigeria? by applefruit: 12:46am On Dec 10, 2009
yes, i have been accused for something i will never do.since then the undercover officers are following me from left ,right and center.And my fear is that they might set me up for something i will never do .

(1) (Reply)

A Brother Of Mine Just Got His Notification Letter For The Current Visa Lottery. / Share Your Experience While Travelling Out Of The Country Especially At Mmia. / I Need Help/info About Kuwait

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.