Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,056 members, 7,818,168 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:22 AM

My Boss Is Terribly Corrupt. Should I Blow The Whistle? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Boss Is Terribly Corrupt. Should I Blow The Whistle? (22121 Views)

I Commented 'What A Nice Picture' On My Boss' Photo And She Is Taking It Up / Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work / Help My Boss Is Frustrating Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Boss Is Terribly Corrupt. Should I Blow The Whistle? by 18SNVL: 9:30am On Feb 12, 2017
Re: My Boss Is Terribly Corrupt. Should I Blow The Whistle? by 18SNVL: 9:32am On Feb 12, 2017
Re: My Boss Is Terribly Corrupt. Should I Blow The Whistle? by V0lv0(f): 9:36am On Feb 12, 2017
You have been helping him create fictitious invoices knowingly so if ever somehow this comes to light you are an accomplice and could face criminal action too alongside your boss. Worse case scenario, your boss could put the blame sorely on you and then you are toast.

I know of someone who was in a similar position as you and decided to keep mum. Now he is currently serving a 10 year jail term.

We should learn to do the right thing always irrespective of the consequences. I know its easier said than done but your friend is now directly involved in this mess and can be seen as an accomplice

2 Likes

Re: My Boss Is Terribly Corrupt. Should I Blow The Whistle? by Nobody: 9:38am On Feb 12, 2017
jcflex:
He doesn't need to seek NL advice bfor doing the needful.

except if your friend is actually waiting for his own turn to be on that sit, and start manipulating figures, just lik his current boss is doing.

One day, that company will seize to exist, and the blame will be put on bad management, not knowing people like his boss siting at one corner embezzling the company's actually cause it.

case study is NIGERIA.

corrupt individuals need to be weed out
One day, that company will seize to exist, true talk
Re: My Boss Is Terribly Corrupt. Should I Blow The Whistle? by snowden9(m): 9:41am On Feb 12, 2017
18SNVL:
Why not direct your IT efforts towards the West African sub continent. 2019 should set the stage.

The US government is still allies with the west African countries and with their highly qualified team of intelligence experts, the FBI will be in west Africa waiting for me before I arrive. They'll immediately take me back to THE US to face the espionage acts i was tagged with.
Re: My Boss Is Terribly Corrupt. Should I Blow The Whistle? by 18SNVL: 9:44am On Feb 12, 2017
Re: My Boss Is Terribly Corrupt. Should I Blow The Whistle? by Efewestern: 9:47am On Feb 12, 2017
oge4real:
After reading all the comments, it finally dawned on me that THERE IS NO HOPE FOR NIGERIA!!!

The future of Nigeria is bleak..
Re: My Boss Is Terribly Corrupt. Should I Blow The Whistle? by Markikus: 9:59am On Feb 12, 2017
All I see is people encouraging the op to keep mum.. Bunch of hypocrites, but yall fast to condemn a bread-stealing thieves to death by stoning and burning... If the Op cant blow the whistle because of fear of losing his job, you aint different from your boss. Before you start coming for me, I aint different either but maybe I would have honourably resign and state my boss money laundering as excuse for quitting.

This country is bleeped anyway..

6 Likes

Re: My Boss Is Terribly Corrupt. Should I Blow The Whistle? by babestella: 10:01am On Feb 12, 2017
Noblejay7:
A friend shared this with me and I decided to bring it here in other to get advice.

He works with a company as an admin officer and part of his job description is processing of expenses for daily purchases and payment to vendors and suppliers.

My friend is in a fix right now and he needs advice. The problem started when his former boss boss was sacked due to downsizing. His new boss is a terribly corrupt person.

Inspire of the fact that his boss earns good salary which ordinary should be enough for him, he still manipulates figures and orders my friend to raise fictitious expenses which he converts to private use.

My friend also notice that his boss connives with vendors to inflate price in return for kickbacks.

Recently my friend processed and got approval for purchase of tyres for their operational vehicles in the office only for his boss to collect the money without buying the tyres.

The internal auditor who is suppose to check mate this excesses has been quiet .

My friend is thinking of using the company's wishle blowing mechanism but this might affect his boss as he could be sacked.

Kindly advice.

Hahahahaha, If you are too afraid, give me the whistle and i will blow it for you. I dont need anyone to pay me 5%, people like this should be exposed.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Is Terribly Corrupt. Should I Blow The Whistle? by aibonous: 10:06am On Feb 12, 2017
guy abeg if you no go blow am, give me d details make I get d 5%
HHHHHAHAHHAA
Re: My Boss Is Terribly Corrupt. Should I Blow The Whistle? by Mc23(m): 10:16am On Feb 12, 2017
Blow the whistle if your hands are clean because i'm sure someone else has noticed this act so it's better they don't think you are a partner in crime with him. Blow the whistle with all your strength.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Is Terribly Corrupt. Should I Blow The Whistle? by Diplomaticbeing(m): 10:17am On Feb 12, 2017
It's very unfortunate that an average Nigerian is perfidious. SMH! A people that mistakes perfidiousness for smartness can never experience sustainable growth/progress. Opportunism is evil. Honesty remains the best policy in business - and one cannot be smart without being honest.

@OP; Your supposed friend will be doing more harm to himself in particular and his company at large should he allow such atrocity to continue.

If I were him I would gather every necessary hard facts against the treacherous man and then call him to order in the best private and polite manner - I'll try to make him see reasons why he should desist from engaging in such a nefarious acts, and of course with a starn promise - not warn - to blow a whistle if he decides to continue in his evil ways.

What a subordinate owe's his boss is loyalty not servility . . . This is for those that do misinterpret the "never outshine your master" mantra at any given time.

If your life mission doesn't include leaving any environment and person better than you met them, believe you me that you're missing something great.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Is Terribly Corrupt. Should I Blow The Whistle? by kaysy(m): 10:18am On Feb 12, 2017
haywire1:

It's best for ur friend to keep quiet cos boss will surly be boss and watch karma plays out . What goes around comes around..

Meanwhile, I'm searching for job, I studied food technology, cv available upon request ..

#
Just look at the trash u posted, and u'r seaching for a job? If i had a vacant office in my company do u expect me to employ u? This is why many will remain jobless cos they are enemies of themselves. A good company can see this, request for ur cv and then profile ur name in their blackbook. SMH

6 Likes

Re: My Boss Is Terribly Corrupt. Should I Blow The Whistle? by HomoDroid(m): 10:23am On Feb 12, 2017
oge4real:
After reading all the comments, it finally dawned on me that THERE IS NO HOPE FOR NIGERIA!!!

Dear Friend, there is hope for Nigeria!

OP, my advise is that you gather incontrovertible evidence, and walk in on the highest officer of the company without invitation. Confront him with the evidence and demand immediate action.

Do not bother about losing your job, because from my more than 20 years' experience, jobs don't make you rich, but uncommon action does!

If you fear losing your job, consider there are more than 20 million jobless Nigerians, all alive thou suffering some inconveniences, but the GOd of Nigeria and the Creator of that Company is counting on you.

If you lose your job eventually, send your cv to abv001@gmail.com

Also consider that nobody has advised that you will lose your life. If you feel threatened, report to the Police as well!

Godspeed!

5 Likes

Re: My Boss Is Terribly Corrupt. Should I Blow The Whistle? by Iamthoney(m): 10:29am On Feb 12, 2017
Before your friend burst the bubble he should kindly take a good look at himself at the mirror and ask himself these questions

1) Am I without sin?
2) Is the act affecting my bonuses and salary?
3) Do I think it is only my boss that benefit from the act?
4) Have I calculated the risk and reward if I eventually snitch on him?

NB : Things like this put one's life in grave danger. He might succeed in reporting his boss and the firm will kick the boss out and prolly have him face the law but what happens afterwards might not be good for your friend. So he should be careful and if possible mind his business
Re: My Boss Is Terribly Corrupt. Should I Blow The Whistle? by ERockson: 10:30am On Feb 12, 2017
Your boss can even survive the issue if you blow the whistle but you will not survive it. Even if you remain in the company they will still hand over to another potential thief that will frustrate or sideline you. They will treat you like leper in that organization. Don't underestimate the power of corrupt people
Re: My Boss Is Terribly Corrupt. Should I Blow The Whistle? by HomoDroid(m): 10:30am On Feb 12, 2017
Diplomaticbeing:
It's very unfortunate that an average Nigerian is perfidious. SMH! A people that mistakes perfidiousness for smartness can never experience sustainable growth/progress. Opportunism is evil. Honesty remains the best policy in business - and one cannot be smart without being honest.

@OP; Your supposed friend will be doing more harm to himself in particular and his company at large should he allow such atrocity to continue.

If I were him I would gather every necessary hard facts against the treacherous man and then call him to order in the best private and polite manner - I'll try to make him see reasons why he should desist from engaging in such a nefarious acts, and of course with a starn promise - not warn - to blow a whistle if he decides to continue in his evil ways.

What a subordinate owe's his boss is loyalty not servility . . . This is for those that do misinterpret the "never outshine your master" mantra at any given time.

If your life mission doesn't include leaving any environment and person better than you me them, believe you me that you're missing something great.

Your advise is good on the surface but the first rule in dating the Devil is to use a very Long fork, if you must.

Such treacherous characters will pretend to comply and find a way to get rid of the obstacle and then continue their debauchery. It is like toying with a snake. You need to deal a snake with a fatal blow the first time or else you risk getting bitten!

3 Likes

Re: My Boss Is Terribly Corrupt. Should I Blow The Whistle? by noadvertjobs: 10:43am On Feb 12, 2017
This is what 99.9% of Nigerian managers, accountants, procurement officers and office position holders do!

The worst part of it is that they back themselves up with charms/juju/jazz which they use to silence and suppress every opposition or whistle blower.

Companies and agencies should start making use of internet and e-commerce websites when buying things for the organization, that's one way to solve these kickback and jacking up price corruption in Nigerian companies and organizations.

Companies should start making policies that will forbid any staff buying things directly from any supplier....they should go and buy online where price is stated and known, so let's see how they will come up with bogus price.

Corruption can only reduce in Nigeria when we start making use of electronics and computer in most of our daily organization transactions with reduced human handling.

And the painful part is after making all these money, they squander it on girls....they keep girlfriends all over Nigeria (in every university campus) and abroad. reason you see more young ladies driving luxury ‎cars than young guys, it's because corrupt Nigerian men in top management and government positions!

Cursed men!!‎

1 Like

Re: My Boss Is Terribly Corrupt. Should I Blow The Whistle? by davidif: 10:44am On Feb 12, 2017
powerfulsettings:
my friend this is Nigeria where someone accumulate raw foreign cash worth over 5billion naira for domestic use at home. Ur boss is only a leaner in this context, pls give up blowing the whistle if that ur boss has been in the company before you.

Meanwhile incase you intend purchasing a system, pls you can help me out, I need to sell this 2weeks old Dell icore3, so as to meet up with my skul fee deadline tomorrow
Check below for more details thanks

Re: My Boss Is Terribly Corrupt. Should I Blow The Whistle? by davidif: 10:46am On Feb 12, 2017
Noblejay7:
A friend shared this with me and I decided to bring it here in other to get advice.

He works with a company as an admin officer and part of his job description is processing of expenses for daily purchases and payment to vendors and suppliers.

My friend is in a fix right now and he needs advice. The problem started when his former boss boss was sacked due to downsizing. His new boss is a terribly corrupt person.

Inspire of the fact that his boss earns good salary which ordinary should be enough for him, he still manipulates figures and orders my friend to raise fictitious expenses which he converts to private use.

My friend also notice that his boss connives with vendors to inflate price in return for kickbacks.

Recently my friend processed and got approval for purchase of tyres for their operational vehicles in the office only for his boss to collect the money without buying the tyres.

The internal auditor who is suppose to check mate this excesses has been quiet .

My friend is thinking of using the company's wishle blowing mechanism but this might affect his boss as he could be sacked.

Kindly advice.

I am sorry to say but your friend is an accomplice. The best thing to do is to raise the alarm.
Re: My Boss Is Terribly Corrupt. Should I Blow The Whistle? by davidif: 10:47am On Feb 12, 2017
Oliviaxx:
Well he can actually 'blow the whistle' only and if only it wont be traced back to him. From my experience, these corrupt people normally have friends in high places. If nothing is done to his boss after he reported and then the said boss catches wind of the situation...ur friend is a goner, and in dis our nigeria of few jobs....is he willing to take such a step at the possible cost of his job?

So he should keep quiet and be an accomplice? Na wa o. Later on you guys would complain that Nigeria is corrupt.
Re: My Boss Is Terribly Corrupt. Should I Blow The Whistle? by donmarshia(m): 10:50am On Feb 12, 2017
Please blow the whistle anonymously. It should never be traced back to you.

Do not fold your hands and let evil continue.
Re: My Boss Is Terribly Corrupt. Should I Blow The Whistle? by davidif: 10:51am On Feb 12, 2017
haywire1:

It's best for ur friend to keep quiet cos boss will surly be boss and watch karma plays out . What goes around comes around..

Meanwhile, I'm searching for job, I studied food technology, cv available upon request ..

#

Wrong!

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
Re: My Boss Is Terribly Corrupt. Should I Blow The Whistle? by davidif: 10:52am On Feb 12, 2017
bunmixtra:
If it doesn't affect your salary or bonuses u may just keep cool.
Sooner or later he will be caught.

Does your company maintain a car log book for repairs n maintenance?

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
Re: My Boss Is Terribly Corrupt. Should I Blow The Whistle? by davidif: 10:53am On Feb 12, 2017
Buharimustgo:
Is it your father's company?instead of eating your own and going,blow the whistle and see if it won't consume u,

See mentality! and people would be wondering why Nigeria is corrupt. Chai!

1 Like

Re: My Boss Is Terribly Corrupt. Should I Blow The Whistle? by metallisc(m): 10:55am On Feb 12, 2017
Oliviaxx:
Well he can actually 'blow the whistle' only and if only it wont be traced back to him. From my experience, these corrupt people normally have friends in high places. If nothing is done to his boss after he reported and then the said boss catches wind of the situation...ur friend is a goner, and in dis our nigeria of few jobs....is he willing to take such a step at the possible cost of his job?

this kind of Olivia sef! grin
Re: My Boss Is Terribly Corrupt. Should I Blow The Whistle? by Diplomaticbeing(m): 10:59am On Feb 12, 2017
HomoDroid:

Your advise is good on the surface but the first rule in dating the Devil is to use a very Long fork, if you must.

Such treacherous characters will pretend to comply and find a way to get rid of the obstacle and then continue their debauchery. It is like toying with a snake. You need to deal a snake with a fatal blow the first time or else you risk getting bitten!

I understand how far an opportunist/covetous person can go to achieve his inordinate aims. Yet, experience has taught me that the easiest malleable set of people are the conceited ones. One only need to apply diplomacy in handling them - thus the reason why I suggested that he should call him to order in a most private and polite way to advice him to stop his perfidious acts. He would have to assure him that the secret is between them (and mean it too), else he would become the traitor. And of course to get him to submission conventional wisdom ought to let him know that he should proffer a solution to curb his insatiableness for perfidy. The rule always is never eat from your associates but earn to share with them. . . Any well grounded boss in admin of any organization knows how to use this simply philosophy to enrich himself without stealing from his company or associate(s).

However, in the event that the OP's friend lack knowledge on how to implement the above formula, then the separation/distant and application method is an option too. No matter what may, it's very important that he should first try to caution him to change for good - blowing a whistle against him should be his last option.
Re: My Boss Is Terribly Corrupt. Should I Blow The Whistle? by mantosa(m): 11:04am On Feb 12, 2017
Let me comment here too.

I will advise you go about your required duties, you clearly said the internal auditor is quiet. It could be, he/she gets sorted too. Blowing the whistle might ultimately get you sacked and if you are lucky, you get invited to another company. But then if you are asked the reason for sack, would you say coz you blow the whistle? Meaning you might end up lying and contradicting your moral stands already.

On the other hand, your boss whom you reported will certainly not get sacked. For him to attain that level, he can call in for favours.

Please be wise. Wisdom is profitable to direct.
Re: My Boss Is Terribly Corrupt. Should I Blow The Whistle? by davidif: 11:07am On Feb 12, 2017
Boss13:
I will tell you specifically and even in caps - DON'T DO IT IF YOU STILL LOVE YOUR JOB. Your boss may be serving the interest of someone high up the ladder. A boss who has the effrontery to direct subordinates to change figures may have cover up. Do it and lose your job or be frustrated out of the system.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Is Terribly Corrupt. Should I Blow The Whistle? by Rainmaker69(m): 11:12am On Feb 12, 2017
The question isn't just about whether he should blow the whistle, your friend needs to be clear about who the complaint is directed to. Public sector corruption isnt the same as private sector corruption. As a private company, he'll need to get the attention of key management. If the boss is in management and the Company doesn't have a whistleblower policy then he may have to sit on his hands and bide his time.
Re: My Boss Is Terribly Corrupt. Should I Blow The Whistle? by Nobody: 11:16am On Feb 12, 2017
Ask him to show you how to be corrupt and join him in the corruption.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A New Bank Employee Submitted Wrong Account Number & Her Salary Was Paid Into It / Should I Continue With My Job Or I Should Leave And Work As A Money Agent? / Dentistry Or Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative And Who Earns More?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.