Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,265 members, 7,867,692 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 09:46 PM

A Friend Was Asked To Resign Because He Has A Company Of His Own. - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / A Friend Was Asked To Resign Because He Has A Company Of His Own. (18483 Views)

Jobless Lady Returns Money A Company Mistakenly Paid Into Her Account / US Worker Threatens To Resign Over Thanksgiving Turkey, Shocks Nigerian / Most Loved, Two Official Cars, Then Mysteriously Asked To Resign (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Friend Was Asked To Resign Because He Has A Company Of His Own. by Nobody: 8:01am On Feb 16, 2017
Good for both of them.

The company gets to hire someone with a hundred percent focus on their company

And he get to focus a hundred percent on his company.

No harm, no foul.

1 Like

Re: A Friend Was Asked To Resign Because He Has A Company Of His Own. by thepresence: 8:02am On Feb 16, 2017
oyb:

stop lying mercury pure sine wave starts from 3.5 kva

the last time i checked, you can buy a 2.5kva modified sine wave from coscharis [authorized distributors] for N25,000

carry your fraudulent gouging hustle somewhere else. serious buyers magas only

Check Jumia and konga for the cost of 1.5kv mercury..

Abeg carry ur problem face urself this morning o
Re: A Friend Was Asked To Resign Because He Has A Company Of His Own. by ariesbull: 8:03am On Feb 16, 2017
sleemfesh:
So, this guy is the IT Manager of a group of companies in Lagos. Meanwhile he has a private practice that doesn't interfere with his job at this company. One day he sent a mail by mistake from his private email which is on a private domain name and management got to know of the private practice. This happened last year. Meanwhile this guy has had his private practice even before he joined the company over 4 and half years ago. He has answered no single query and alwaya delivered every assignment and task that is his responsibility.

A couple days ago he was invited by the MD and Chairman of the company who asked him to put in his resignation since he has a company, that he is not giving his all. They offered to have a mou with the guy's private company he built from scratch to offer IT services. However the company has no interest in IT apart from what they use to work. They want to move into IT with the guy's private practice and co-own it.

After the meeting, my guy wrote his resignation letter and left same day. Told them he will consider the offer.

GU y

I am in that position....I run my private practise and it's paying well and my CEO got to know...He wanted to fire me last week. But he can't because I am the only one that delivers some unique services in his firm but I will leave

I have realised that it's pointless working for people ...One day I will leave so I am putting my exit strategy in place

That's Blackman for you...They will want you not to grow
Re: A Friend Was Asked To Resign Because He Has A Company Of His Own. by codemaniacs: 8:15am On Feb 16, 2017
k
Re: A Friend Was Asked To Resign Because He Has A Company Of His Own. by hardon1(m): 8:15am On Feb 16, 2017
I dont think poster is telling the truth, the guy cant be so dumb to hv sent an official mail mistakenly with his private coy email. He was probably trying to take advantage of the coompany, probably win over or divert a contract amonymously or something of similar nature and was not careful enough.
Morover, an IT employee with a private practice and also heading the IT unit of a group is risky. He can blackmail the company in future cos he has access to secrete and classified company info.
Re: A Friend Was Asked To Resign Because He Has A Company Of His Own. by princetom1(m): 8:18am On Feb 16, 2017
leksmedia:
Actually the guy is lucky, most firm will sack him without thinking, That is why if you are running your private firm, make sure you have a private phone and laptop for each.

He should refer to his terms of agreement, to some company thats conflict of interest while some other companies might not care. Anyways he should be smart when he is signing anything. Im sure the director likes him somehow or jjust wanna use him. He should employ the service of a professional in signing any deal. And if he must sign a deal or panership, he must own more than 51% of the business else he might just be kicked out of the company he built from scratch.

For your website design or blog design visit www.leksmediaconcept.com or call 08173091370

If he is signing anything out, he shouldn't sign anything more than 15% out, u can see the motive already, all these bloody suckling parasites.
Re: A Friend Was Asked To Resign Because He Has A Company Of His Own. by codemaniacs: 8:21am On Feb 16, 2017
k
Re: A Friend Was Asked To Resign Because He Has A Company Of His Own. by wizkidblogger(f): 8:28am On Feb 16, 2017
@ sleemfesh

He should have prepared for a day like this....
Re: A Friend Was Asked To Resign Because He Has A Company Of His Own. by Nobody: 8:40am On Feb 16, 2017
onnenka:
A friend this, A friend that all the time on Nairaland. Is it that the real people do not have access to Nairaland to post these things themselves?
The real people are the ones posting it.. Their nickname is just "My friend".
So "my friend" is equivalent to "I" grin

1 Like

Re: A Friend Was Asked To Resign Because He Has A Company Of His Own. by daneni1(m): 8:41am On Feb 16, 2017
leksmedia:
Actually the guy is lucky, most firm will sack him without thinking, That is why if you are running your private firm, make sure you have a private phone and laptop for each.

He should refer to his terms of agreement, to some company thats conflict of interest while some other companies might not care. Anyways he should be smart when he is signing anything. Im sure the director likes him somehow or jjust wanna use him. He should employ the service of a professional in signing any deal. And if he must sign a deal or panership, he must own more than 51% of the business else he might just be kicked out of the company he built from scratch.

For your website design or blog design visit www.leksmediaconcept.com or call 08173091370

You have said it all, d moment they own 50% of his own company then dey have the power to make decision and even influence his own decision.
Re: A Friend Was Asked To Resign Because He Has A Company Of His Own. by Nobody: 8:43am On Feb 16, 2017
thepresence:

Check Jumia and konga for the cost of 1.5kv mercury..

Abeg carry ur problem face urself this morning o

Naija and our aggressive fraudsters
Re: A Friend Was Asked To Resign Because He Has A Company Of His Own. by comos: 8:47am On Feb 16, 2017
sleemfesh:

There was no clause like that. None.

even if there is non like that,

you can't serve two masters at a time
Re: A Friend Was Asked To Resign Because He Has A Company Of His Own. by ndubisik(m): 8:49am On Feb 16, 2017
HarkymTheOracle:

The real people are the ones posting it.. Their nickname is just "My friend".
So "my friend" is equivalent to "I" grin
grin
Re: A Friend Was Asked To Resign Because He Has A Company Of His Own. by KingOfAmebo(m): 8:55am On Feb 16, 2017
sleemfesh:
So, this guy is the IT Manager of a group of companies in Lagos. Meanwhile he has a private practice that doesn't interfere with his job at this company. One day he sent a mail by mistake from his private email which is on a private domain name and management got to know of the private practice. This happened last year. Meanwhile this guy has had his private practice even before he joined the company over 4 and half years ago. He has answered no single query and alwaya delivered every assignment and task that is his responsibility.

A couple days ago he was invited by the MD and Chairman of the company who asked him to put in his resignation since he has a company, that he is not giving his all. They offered to have a mou with the guy's private company he built from scratch to offer IT services. However the company has no interest in IT apart from what they use to work. They want to move into IT with the guy's private practice and co-own it.

After the meeting, my guy wrote his resignation letter and left same day. Told them he will consider the offer.

He is conducting his private business in another man's business and you say it doesn't interfere with his job at the company he works for. Are you ok?
Re: A Friend Was Asked To Resign Because He Has A Company Of His Own. by damola1: 8:59am On Feb 16, 2017
ariesbull:
GU y

I am in that position....I run my private practise and it's paying well and my CEO got to know...He wanted to fire me last week. But he can't because I am the only one that delivers some unique services in his firm but I will leave

I have realised that it's pointless working for people ...One day I will leave so I am putting my exit strategy in place

That's Blackman for you...They will want you not to grow

You took up a job, you get paid for it. and You utilise the companies resources including the time they already paid for to run your own personal errands, Yet all you can say is: they'll not want you to grow.

I pray when you run your own business. Your employees will act the same way. Then, we will see how your business will be able to deliver consistent value to investors, employees and customers alike.

4 Likes

Re: A Friend Was Asked To Resign Because He Has A Company Of His Own. by simiolu1(m): 9:01am On Feb 16, 2017
sleemfesh:

And how do you know that the clause wasn't there? It seems you are extremely close to this "friend".

Anyway, I assumed it was going to be there because it is standard practice in HR. All the same; "conflict of interest" can still be grounds for dismissal.
Re: A Friend Was Asked To Resign Because He Has A Company Of His Own. by tojahh(m): 9:35am On Feb 16, 2017
Why must it always be "A friend"? Yet when any question is asked you quickly respond, are you saying your friend gave you the script? Knowing the answers to questions raised?

Nigerians and insecurities..
Your friend indeed.

2 Likes

Re: A Friend Was Asked To Resign Because He Has A Company Of His Own. by Abdullahiii: 9:57am On Feb 16, 2017
I would suggested he doesnt go into partnership with the organization . he has made his connections and owns a company . he should face his company ...nobody can be trusted , even if he pays a professional to guide him on the signing of deal with that company , that company has more experience than him . you don resign . build your own company .
percentage or no percentage , this big companies knows how to over ride upcoming companies .

1 Like

Re: A Friend Was Asked To Resign Because He Has A Company Of His Own. by Nobody: 10:03am On Feb 16, 2017
Businesses in Nigeria require a constant hands on approach. If you turn your back, your employees will rob you blind.

Unless your job is not very demanding, or you are running a passive income biz, eg renting out houses, you will have a conflict of attention and one of your jobs or your health will suffer
Re: A Friend Was Asked To Resign Because He Has A Company Of His Own. by holyfather(m): 10:24am On Feb 16, 2017
sleemfesh:

Then he should sue their behind.
Re: A Friend Was Asked To Resign Because He Has A Company Of His Own. by PastorandMentor(m): 11:42am On Feb 16, 2017
Brand
hahn:
I guess it is time for him to move on and focus on building his own business

#blessingindisguise wink
Re: A Friend Was Asked To Resign Because He Has A Company Of His Own. by Nobody: 11:47am On Feb 16, 2017
It's always like that with many Nigeria MD's and CEOs. Always wanting to have it all. They have seen the prospect in the guy's company and that's why they wanna be shareholders. The rich always wanting to get richer at what expense! They have lost a good guy, that's not to say there are no better guys. But your friend did well be resigning.
Did the initial contract agreement state employees are not allowed to have their businesses? If No, your friend can sue them and win.

1 Like

Re: A Friend Was Asked To Resign Because He Has A Company Of His Own. by bigerboy200: 12:32pm On Feb 16, 2017
optimus09:
Good he owns his company.How did the company know he owns one?was he bragging about it?did he confide in a friend?People keep your success to your self embarassed.He shouldnt have allowed that spill out....
Try read the post b4 u comment naa.haba
Re: A Friend Was Asked To Resign Because He Has A Company Of His Own. by sleemfesh: 12:36pm On Feb 16, 2017
hardon1:
I dont think poster is telling the truth, the guy cant be so dumb to hv sent an official mail mistakenly with his private coy email. He was probably trying to take advantage of the coompany, probably win over or divert a contract amonymously or something of similar nature and was not careful enough.
Morover, an IT employee with a private practice and also heading the IT unit of a group is risky. He can blackmail the company in future cos he has access to secrete and classified company info.

Oga abi Madam, in case you are not aware, some people have up to two three four different email addresses on a single email app like Outlook or Gmail. Once u hit compose there is a default email address to send from which you have to manually change to the desired email address to send from. That's how u can accidentally and so unintentionally send a mail from the default, so wrong, email.

What you don't understand doesn't have to be false. You can simply ask for a clarification not presume something from your end.
Re: A Friend Was Asked To Resign Because He Has A Company Of His Own. by sleemfesh: 12:38pm On Feb 16, 2017
bigerboy200:

Try read the post b4 u comment naa.haba

I just tire for some people. Rushing to comment without reading. Don't mind them.

1 Like

Re: A Friend Was Asked To Resign Because He Has A Company Of His Own. by sleemfesh: 12:44pm On Feb 16, 2017
DuBLINGreenb:
What did you expect ? They aren't gonna let you get insider info of their company while you own yours. *it's like the owner of glo working for mtn its stoopid*

Bros did you read the post? How come u presume insider info? I told you the company has no IT interest beyond what IT services they use. This guy innovated things for them and drives all their IT needs satisfactorily. Matter of fact they are now calling him back cos they found out so many things are left hanging cos of his exit. They thought he will take the yeye offer and buy him out of his business. That is pure greed not conflict of interest.
Re: A Friend Was Asked To Resign Because He Has A Company Of His Own. by sleemfesh: 12:46pm On Feb 16, 2017
leksmedia:

To some companies you said.
He has his letter of employment there is no mention of conflict of interest and there is no conflicted of interest here. This a Trading company an IT firm, poles apart. They just wanted to get free service from him by using him company inside their and not be paying him salary but he refused to take the offer.
Re: A Friend Was Asked To Resign Because He Has A Company Of His Own. by sleemfesh: 12:53pm On Feb 16, 2017
sisisioge:
He somewhat shot himself in the leg when he logged into his other business account while working on his official business. That's all that is required to prove there's conflict of interest. In HR, it is a general no-no to have another coy you work for while on one paid employment.

Let your guy face his other business, Infact, let him review the other business they are giving him well. He just might do better on it.

Bros it's called smartphone and you can have as much as ten email addresses on an app like Gmail or Outlook or even thr native email app. There's a default address to send from. You have to manually select the one u want if it is not the default email. This way it is very possible to send from the wrong one.
Re: A Friend Was Asked To Resign Because He Has A Company Of His Own. by sleemfesh: 12:56pm On Feb 16, 2017
majekdom2:
It's always like that with many Nigeria MD's and CEOs. Always wanting to have it all. They have seen the prospect in the guy's company and that's why they wanna be shareholders. The rich always wanting to get richer at what expense! They have lost a good guy, that's not to say there are no better guys. But your friend did well be resigning.
Did the initial contract agreement state employees are not allowed to have their businesses? If No, your friend can sue them and win.

You get the gist very well. You probabaly have had this experience or seen it. The employment letter didn't say anything about employees having their business. We thought of suing but maen, it's bad enough in the country as it is and how can one afford the luxury if a lawsuit. Thanks for your thought.
Re: A Friend Was Asked To Resign Because He Has A Company Of His Own. by sleemfesh: 1:00pm On Feb 16, 2017
tojahh:
Why must it always be "A friend"? Yet when any question is asked you quickly respond, are you saying your friend gave you the script? Knowing the answers to questions raised?

Nigerians and insecurities..
Your friend indeed.

If you have even a single friend they will confide things in you but I guess you have none. Not my headache. If you don't like the gist and can't learn to are welcome to leave. Nobody cares who it is but that it is a life experience and a lesson for people to mindful of.
Re: A Friend Was Asked To Resign Because He Has A Company Of His Own. by sleemfesh: 1:05pm On Feb 16, 2017
simiolu1:

And how do you know that the clause wasn't there? It seems you are extremely close to this "friend".

Anyway, I assumed it was going to be there because it is standard practice in HR. All the same; "conflict of interest" can still be grounds for dismissal.

What's with the friend friend issue guys? What's important here is the correctness of the info. People are saying here he wasn't discreet enough with the other business and yet faulting me for reporting or speaking out for somebody. What if the person writes themselves and something comes up? Then you come back again and be like why didn't they use a pseudonym or something. I tire for people o.

Meanwhile standard or not, we looked at the employment letter and there was nothing like that. Besides this an IT firm and a reading company, no single common interest. They don't sell anything that is even remotely related to IT.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Icsan - Institute Of Chartered Secretaries And Administrators. / 15,000 NIPOST Workers To Lose Jobs, Threaten Strike / Banking Sector: Hnd Graduates Vs B.sc Graduates.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.