Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,764 members, 7,820,669 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:10 PM

Banking Sector: Hnd Graduates Vs B.sc Graduates. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Banking Sector: Hnd Graduates Vs B.sc Graduates. (18386 Views)

HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. / Hnd Graduates Can Now Rise Above Level 14 / Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Banking Sector: Hnd Graduates Vs B.sc Graduates. by Tkposh: 11:37am On Jan 20, 2009
Please, to all the nairalanders in the house.
Is it true that B.SC graduates earn more than their HND counterparts in the banking sector?
If true what is the starting salary for each,
Please, I need it for a term paper of mine.
Thanks to y'all.
Re: Banking Sector: Hnd Graduates Vs B.sc Graduates. by felinzoo: 7:40pm On Feb 03, 2009
The much that i know, HND holders are hardly employed as full staff in most banks. They are usually support staff with great salary difference. It is worrisome though.
Re: Banking Sector: Hnd Graduates Vs B.sc Graduates. by TRACK: 2:50pm On Feb 04, 2009
In a situation where banks want holders of HND and B.sc to apply for job, they will be looking for Hnd upper while holders of 2.2 can apply also. After that may be placed on different salary scale to the disadvantage of Hnd holders. Even in promotion the guy with B.sc is considered first. They may have good reason for that. Guy, the truth is that no jobs for graduates both B or H.
Re: Banking Sector: Hnd Graduates Vs B.sc Graduates. by server34(m): 9:50pm On Feb 06, 2009
I don't think Intercontinental Bank discriminates between the two of them.
Re: Banking Sector: Hnd Graduates Vs B.sc Graduates. by Angelmart(f): 1:43pm On Feb 07, 2009
Is it true that B.SC graduates earn more than their HND counterparts in the banking sector?
If true what is the starting salary for each,
Please, I need it for a term paper of mine.
Thanks to y'all.

Yes, it is true in most banks in Nigeria HND is 50k and above while B.Sc is 120k and above for ET
Thanks
Re: Banking Sector: Hnd Graduates Vs B.sc Graduates. by paule: 4:13pm On Feb 09, 2009
The truth is that Bsc graduades earn more than HND in [b]any [/b]employemnet sector
Re: Banking Sector: Hnd Graduates Vs B.sc Graduates. by Hndholder(m): 12:27pm On Feb 11, 2009
Yes what about it. Let the HND man go back to one of the 95 universities in Nigeria enough of all these.
Re: Banking Sector: Hnd Graduates Vs B.sc Graduates. by Tonyet1(m): 3:00pm On Feb 12, 2009
[size=14pt][font=Gill sans mt condensed]my candid advice to both the HNDs and Bsc' is that the moment you get a job in the bank you better start looking out for your next destination which in my opinion means planning to be self employed or an enterpreneur unless you wish to spend all your years as a workaholic bee only to realise one day that you have just been sapped of all your honeys and no way to be honnied from

to me i guess thats why they pay you those heavy and mind blowing dough, but remember nothing lasts forever[/font][/size]
Re: Banking Sector: Hnd Graduates Vs B.sc Graduates. by Jarus(m): 7:37pm On Feb 12, 2009
My own company neither takes B.SC 2.2 nor HND, even if it's distinction, for permanent staff. HND taken are given contract job, with salary just one-third of that of BSc holder.
Re: Banking Sector: Hnd Graduates Vs B.sc Graduates. by Hndholder(m): 8:19am On Feb 13, 2009
Jarus:

My own company neither takes B.SC 2.2 nor HND, even if it's distinction, for permanent staff. HND taken are given contract job, with salary just one-third of that of BSc holder.

Your company may be a research outfit or a show off claiming to be an island.
Whatever might be the reason for us going through the HND gave us away on lower salary.
I accepted my faith but Obasanjo had HND he ruled this country 3 times. It means salary can not determine the future.
Re: Banking Sector: Hnd Graduates Vs B.sc Graduates. by Jarus(m): 9:33am On Feb 13, 2009
Hnd-holder:

Your company may be a research outfit or a show off claiming to be an island.
Whatever might be the reason for us going through the HND gave us away on lower salary.
I accepted my faith but Obasanjo had HND he ruled this country 3 times. It means salary can not determine the future.
Why the attack on me and my company? The thread starter sought to know whether it is true that 'B.SC graduates earn more than their HND counterparts', and I posted what goes on in my company.

3 Likes

Re: Banking Sector: Hnd Graduates Vs B.sc Graduates. by Hndholder(m): 11:08am On Feb 13, 2009
I did not attack your person but that apartheid company of yours was making life difficult for HND holders. Some company pay HND holders more than the BSc. Savannah sugar never discriminate. we all have our role in the economy. That your company is bad and fake base on realities.
Re: Banking Sector: Hnd Graduates Vs B.sc Graduates. by ishmael(m): 1:17pm On Feb 13, 2009
@Hnd-holder

Long time. you dey so? This HND wahala is still on o. I wonder why this government keep deceiving people. Everytime they say they have removed the ceiling stopping HND holders from reaching level 17 in the civil service, yet no HND holder has been promoted to level 15. Even govt parastatals still advertise and state clearly that it is only Degree holders that they want. This thing go end so?
Re: Banking Sector: Hnd Graduates Vs B.sc Graduates. by DisGuy: 5:03pm On Feb 13, 2009
theres something im not getting

What exactly is the difference between someone with an HND in specific or vocational course like Accounting and someone with a Bsc in Finance and Account

Bsc Accounting Vs HND Accounting, perhaps theres an argument with engineering however weak, but with a field like accounting
Re: Banking Sector: Hnd Graduates Vs B.sc Graduates. by sforte(m): 9:57pm On Feb 15, 2009
Our government has been saying a lot about stopping the discrimination but from what's on ground it's still an ongoing debate.

The truth is that HND and BSc are not classed the same in the industry, and salaries differ. However, what a well baked graduate needs is opportunity. Once opportunity comes, working your way through with the right information is next. We seem to be so concerned about today, what of tomorrow?

Work youself up the ladder with the right attitude.
Re: Banking Sector: Hnd Graduates Vs B.sc Graduates. by DisGuy: 12:52am On Feb 16, 2009
sforte:

Our government has been saying a lot about stopping the discrimination but from what's on ground it's still an ongoing debate.

The truth is that HND and BSc are not classed the same in the industry, and salaries differ. However, what a well baked graduate needs is opportunity. Once opportunity comes, working your way through with the right information is next. We seem to be so concerned about today, what of tomorrow?

Work youself up the ladder with the right attitude.

nice wink
Re: Banking Sector: Hnd Graduates Vs B.sc Graduates. by music0286(m): 6:14pm On Feb 18, 2009
Oceanic Bank and Intercontinental does not discriminate on degrees as per salary payment,Bsc and HND earn same salary on same grade.Just that the entry level requirements is BSC mininimum of 2.2. HND minimum of upper credit.

However,an HND graduate that enters as contract staff that submitted OND will not grow at all.
Re: Banking Sector: Hnd Graduates Vs B.sc Graduates. by Tobobo: 10:44pm On Feb 18, 2009
@poster
Though I am not in the banking sector. AM in the IT sector and HND holder for that matter.

When I discovered this problem of HND/Bsc I told myself I must not be looked down, so with God on my side I made sure I put in my best in all I do. Always proactive and today I earn more than Bsc holders (even more than most Bank managers,) and I thank God for that.

My advise, Develop yourself in your chosen career, be proactive and be faithful to your God with your tithes and praises.

1 Like

Re: Banking Sector: Hnd Graduates Vs B.sc Graduates. by Hndholder(m): 8:46am On Feb 19, 2009
Good point, but the crime is the HNDCertificate, why?
Re: Banking Sector: Hnd Graduates Vs B.sc Graduates. by aristocrat(m): 5:48pm On Sep 05, 2009
dis is supposed to b a dead news, if u are not told dont u know we descriminate alot in nigeria?
Re: Banking Sector: Hnd Graduates Vs B.sc Graduates. by Hndholder(m): 1:36pm On Sep 07, 2009
Yes as dead as the dichotomy/ discrimination against HND it self
Re: Banking Sector: Hnd Graduates Vs B.sc Graduates. by zebra(m): 8:20am On Sep 08, 2009
@HND-holder
they still discriminate against HND holders in banks and government ministries till today o. it's not yet a dead news. Customs and immigration service employed HND holders as level 06 and 07 officers while Bsc holders were given level 08; what does that tell you?
Re: Banking Sector: Hnd Graduates Vs B.sc Graduates. by Hndholder(m): 10:15am On Sep 08, 2009
Road safety NRSC stop discrimination in their promotion because those concerned knew their right, Let those concern claim their right. The white paper was out we just concluded the stake holders meeting where the National Establishment committee was asked to issue a circular before the end of 2009. This will be at Uyo at the34th meeting of NEC
Dichotomy is dead I have all the documents you may wish to Send your E-mail address to receive the details.
Re: Banking Sector: Hnd Graduates Vs B.sc Graduates. by zebra(m): 3:14pm On Sep 08, 2009
Hnd-holder:

Road safety NRSC stop discrimination in their promotion because those concerned knew their right, Let those concern claim their right. The white paper was out we just concluded the stake holders meeting where the National Establishment committee was asked to issue a circular before the end of 2009. This will be at Uyo at the34th meeting of NEC
Dichotomy is dead I have all the documents you may wish to Send your E-mail address to receive the details.

my brother it's not easy for them to stand up and fight for their rights, being that they were just recruited into the system after spending 5 or more years looking for jobs. i think it is the duty of you and i to fight for them. i'm using this medium to let you know that HND holders who were employed recently into the customs and immigration services were under employed. they were taken as inspectors(level 06 & 07) while the Degree holders were placed on level 08. I don't believe that the discrimination has ended, it is still there, and very obvious.
Re: Banking Sector: Hnd Graduates Vs B.sc Graduates. by Hndholder(m): 3:38pm On Sep 08, 2009
It will be buried at Uyo in oct 2009. Full implementation starts in January. I am sure of this information.
Re: Banking Sector: Hnd Graduates Vs B.sc Graduates. by zebra(m): 6:38pm On Sep 09, 2009
Hnd-holder:

It will be buried at Uyo in oct 2009. Full implementation starts in January. I am sure of this information.

Are you really sure the discrimination is dead, and will be buried? To me it seems that discrimination is still alive because it is happening to HND holders everyday especially in the job advert i saw even yesterday; they want only university graduates with Bachelor Degrees. No HND was mentioned.
Re: Banking Sector: Hnd Graduates Vs B.sc Graduates. by Hndholder(m): 8:24am On Sep 10, 2009
It took us 36 years to here so the implementation will not take just a day. I think we must wait for the head of service's MEMO. The dichotomy is in mortuary the ground has been dug at UYO let keep it away for Nigeria progress for life
Re: Banking Sector: Hnd Graduates Vs B.sc Graduates. by zebra(m): 9:43am On Sep 10, 2009
Hnd-holder:

It took us 36 years to here so the implementation will not take just a day. I think we must wait for the head of service's MEMO. The dichotomy is in mortuary the ground has been dug at UYO let keep it away for Nigeria progress for life

Even yesterday Daily trust newspaper carried an advert for employment for Ministry of interior (Civil defence and immigration). I am telling you the truth it pained me so much when i found out that Asst supt. cadre requires you to have a Bachelors degree (HND exclusive). HND holders can apply for only inspectorate cadre level 07.
Re: Banking Sector: Hnd Graduates Vs B.sc Graduates. by Hndholder(m): 4:14pm On Sep 10, 2009
Majority of those placing the advert are not aware they are all waiting for the circular. Let us wait to have that legal process. Thank you for the concern
Re: Banking Sector: Hnd Graduates Vs B.sc Graduates. by zebra(m): 9:41am On Sep 11, 2009
@HND-holder

You see most of these discriminations come from the civil service. Who signed and approved the advert for employment? is it not the minister that signs? I find it difficult to believe that a minister in Nigeria still place HND holders a step below Bsc holders even after all the series of meetings they have been holding; haba!! it's painful. See even the armed forces (Army, Navy and Air force) don't discriminate; they take both Bsc and HND holders as officer cadets for their DSSC.  I wonder what is wrong with some ministries, like ministry of interior. This issue should be taken up and the president should be in the picture, because our next move would be to discourage Nigerians from going to polytechnics, and we will make sure even those currently running programs in Nigerian polytechnics boycott such programs.
Re: Banking Sector: Hnd Graduates Vs B.sc Graduates. by Hndholder(m): 12:27pm On Sep 11, 2009
Send E-mail to nate88et76@hotmail.com I will you more detailed circulars. Ministry under stands only circulars.
Re: Banking Sector: Hnd Graduates Vs B.sc Graduates. by ishmael(m): 1:25pm On Sep 11, 2009
Hnd-holder:

Send E-mail to nate88et76@hotmail.com I will you more detailed circulars. Ministry under stands only circulars.

HND-holder, na wa o, If it is only circulars they understand, then you people should make effort to send the circular stopping the discrimination to them. or is the circular not yet ready? Me personally i have given up on this HND/Bsc discrimination issue.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Was Your Childhood Dream, did you achieve it? / Obiano To Pay New Minimum Wage In July / Is It Advisable To "INSULT" Your Wicked Boss When Quitting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.