Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,824 members, 7,817,407 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:42 AM

5 Things People Wrongly Believe That No Longer Work - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 5 Things People Wrongly Believe That No Longer Work (35867 Views)

Lady Invites A Native-Doctor To Fight Bank For Wrongly Debiting Her (Video) / Maduka Onyishi Returns N2.2Billion To First Bank Wrongly Credited To His Account / Michael Asemota Returns N150 million Wrongly Paid Into His Account In Qatar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Things People Wrongly Believe That No Longer Work by importexpert(m): 6:07pm On Feb 17, 2017
ufuosman:
Nice write up

thanks bro
Re: 5 Things People Wrongly Believe That No Longer Work by Nobody: 6:09pm On Feb 17, 2017
importexpert:
There are principles that were handed to us by people from the previous generation. These were things they applied repeatedly in their time which worked for them. The problem now is that a lot of those principles have become obsolete and have no place in today’s world. The world has gone way past them.
It can be a very frustrating experience for anyone who keeps trying to apply these principles without recognizing that the rules of the game has changed. It is like trying to beat a dead horse. Some people get so caught up in tradition (the way it has always been done) that they frown at anything new. You will hear them say, “This is how it has always been done” or “this is how I am”. The real question here is: “what if the “YOU” is not working?” “What if HOW it has always been done is not giving you the desired results?”
This is why it is pertinent to re-evaluate what we have believed and make necessary adjustments. Here are five popular principles you should consider for re-evaluation.

1. Good Grades Guarantees Good Jobs:

This statement which was the gospel truth in the eighties and nineties is now a suicidal advice in our time. It was true because very few people were educated during that period, making the educated ones an elite class of some sort. Juxtapose that with our time and you will see how things have changed. You think you are the only one with a certificate now? I’m sorry, but there are hundreds thousands of people with better certificates yet, without jobs. Wake up! This point does not criticize academic success. No, it emphasizes the fact that you need more than good grades to get the life you desire for yourself.

2. Living By the Rules Is Compulsory:

In school, we were all taught to live by rules. Some of the rules were good because they checked against our excesses. But the rest of the rules were horrible. Why? Because they tried to force everybody into thinking and approaching things the same way. Even teachers taught us to solve questions using only their methods. Sometimes, rules can be suffocating. It can kill creativity and destroy ingenuity. This is why so many people now live life within the confines of societal standards. They have things they should do or not do. The real question should be, “is it legal?” If it is, then you need to really think again. Forget the rules and go for any opportunity that comes your way. Thomas Edison, while working on an invention, was told by his assistants about the rules they needed to follow. Thomas replied him, "Damn the rules. We are trying to invent something here."

3. A Job is the Target:

Have you ever heard someone say, “I’m hunting for a job?” It is a popular expression amidst job seekers. I have nothing against looking for a job. The problem is when graduates think that a job is the ultimate. This has made many become prolonged job seekers. Many have lost precious months (and some years) of their lives waiting for a job that never arrived. Since all they see in their mind is a job, they have missed countless opportunities that have crossed their paths. Their desire for quick money has made them lose valuable chances life throws at them .Their hunger for a job has blinded their eyes to the opportunities around them begging to be exploited. Don’t let that be you. If a job is not forthcoming, look around and find an avenue that you can channel your creative abilities into.

4. A Job Means Financial Freedom:

There are people who believe that sitting in an office is a sign that they have financial freedom. I call it the “white-collar job deception”. Nothing can be farther from the truth. You are not financially free because you have a job. Don’t be deceived by the false sense of job security either. It is a mirage, like a pot of gold. The only way to financial freedom is to create a venture of your own. Have a stream of income that is not dependent on your boss or a management board. Create a business of your own that will boost your finance. In that way, even if something goes wrong with your job, you will still be buoyant.

5. You need huge capital to start a business:

Nothing could be farther from the truth. If you believe that you need big money to make money, it is most likely true that you cannot make money. The basic necessity for a business is not money but ideas. Capital will always flow to anybody that has a good business idea and relentlessly acting upon the idea regardless of the obstacles obstructing him. in most cases, if the idea is valid and logical, it will require little capital to start it. Anyone who wants to immediately open a business in a big way most likely will not be able to cope with its growth and magnitude. If you have a business idea, start small. And then nurture it like a baby till it grows. Don't waste your time looking for huge capital.

Conclusively

with the rate of unemployment and underemployment in Nigeria, Nigerians need alternative income generating sources online. this is because, most legitimate online jobs never get saturated and requires a little or no capital. the form of online job that Nigerians have just started becoming aware that it is highly lucrative is affiliate marketing. affiliate marketing is the online business that i personally recommend to any Nigerian that wants to build a passive income source online.

for a limited time you can see the personal secrets that i use to stand out in affiliate marketing at www.affiliatejagaban.com/p/jagaban.html

Good one op
Re: 5 Things People Wrongly Believe That No Longer Work by Ogashub(m): 6:10pm On Feb 17, 2017
importexpert:

i do not mean slapping soldiers and breaking traffic rules OH grin
Lol thats not breaking of rules thats wanting to kill ya self by your self

1 Like

Re: 5 Things People Wrongly Believe That No Longer Work by Icon79(m): 6:19pm On Feb 17, 2017
greatnow:
FTC .
CAVEAT EMPTOR

'nuff said, my broda!

...in fact, to add anything else would be uncivilized.

O pari
Re: 5 Things People Wrongly Believe That No Longer Work by Nobody: 6:20pm On Feb 17, 2017
Ogashub:
I love to break rules... All those who broke rules are great men today
yeah, me too. especially the *you can't eat your cake and have it back *
I really wanna eat my cake and still have it back

I'll break it somedaygrin
Re: 5 Things People Wrongly Believe That No Longer Work by jinxet2000: 6:20pm On Feb 17, 2017
If you tell me that these beliefs are no longer tenable in Nigeria, I will agree with you. In US and UK, educated people with certificates dominate the best positions in the industries. In fact, people work hard to study more abroad because they will have stable and more paying jobs than the uneducated. To confirm these, log into LinkedIn and check administrative and engineering officers in jobs and check their qualifications. It may delay because you will have a job. In Nigeria, corruption has blinded overwhelmed every principle. Even the principles of economics are no longer valued because a few persons have these monies in their pockets.

Living by rules makes us humans and coordinated. However, they are guiding rules to enable you think straight. However, most people misunderstood it to be mean commands. Rules are not commands. Computers operate with commands but recent computers now operate with instructions in form of logics which makes computers more flexible and adaptable to humans today. Remember the days of DOS commands and today we have SMART computers. Therefore, if there are no rules, we are savages.

Job hunting is still valid today. But most people confine themselves in a single job hunt. A hunter who goes to the bush has in mind he may catch any kind of animal right? But if he put his mind on catching elephant, he will never catch one. But not to say he didn’t find meat. So, when graduates go into job market to hunt, they should bear in mind that they can do more than they studied in school. Hunting a job also means that you can discover a new thing you can do on your own and not necessarily becoming an employee.
I always ask people, if I give you 10 million and ask you to retire would you do so and these questions get people thinking about their pension, 401K, etc. therefore, the money you save today with someone (govt) is not a retirement package for someone who wants to live well in retirement. If you have one job today, in your retirement you should have at least 3 sources of income i.e. Pension, investment & pension. So, you must start thinking of these three sources from the first day you receive your paycheck as an employee.
You are correct that capital is not required to start a business but there is some point you need huge capital to survive in business otherwise, someone will take your business and develop beyond you.

Before online business, you must satisfy the one-on-one business needs before you go online. Nigeria is still young and gasps for a lot of services and deliveries. That’s why many go to internet and yet they don’t find things to do. Many go there hoping to become like Linda and yet they fail. While some opt out, others further to cybercrime. There are so many things one can do to meet the demands in the rising situation in Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: 5 Things People Wrongly Believe That No Longer Work by kcynho(m): 6:27pm On Feb 17, 2017
Nicely done
Re: 5 Things People Wrongly Believe That No Longer Work by Bitcoiniler(m): 6:56pm On Feb 17, 2017
We all have different abilities, thought processes, experiences and genes – so why is a class full of individuals tested by the same means?
Re: 5 Things People Wrongly Believe That No Longer Work by seifini(m): 6:57pm On Feb 17, 2017
The article's title is not lucid enough,as in it can be interpreted to mean something else.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things People Wrongly Believe That No Longer Work by uvalued(m): 7:01pm On Feb 17, 2017
importexpert:
There are principles that were handed to us by people from the previous generation. These were things they applied repeatedly in their time which worked for them. The problem now is that a lot of those principles have become obsolete and have no place in today’s world. The world has gone way past them.
It can be a very frustrating experience for anyone who keeps trying to apply these principles without recognizing that the rules of the game has changed. It is like trying to beat a dead horse. Some people get so caught up in tradition (the way it has always been done) that they frown at anything new. You will hear them say, “This is how it has always been done” or “this is how I am”. The real question here is: “what if the “YOU” is not working?” “What if HOW it has always been done is not giving you the desired results?”
This is why it is pertinent to re-evaluate what we have believed and make necessary adjustments. Here are five popular principles you should consider for re-evaluation.

This statement which was the gospel truth in the eighties and nineties is now a suicidal advice in our time. It was true because very few people were educated during that period, making the educated ones an elite class of some sort. Juxtapose that with our time and you will see how things have changed. You think you are the only one with a certificate now? I’m sorry, but there are hundreds thousands of people with better certificates yet, without jobs. Wake up! This point does not criticize academic success. No, it emphasizes the fact that you need more than good grades to get the life you desire for yourself.

In school, we were all taught to live by rules. Some of the rules were good because they checked against our excesses. But the rest of the rules were horrible. Why? Because they tried to force everybody into thinking and approaching things the same way. Even teachers taught us to solve questions using only their methods. Sometimes, rules can be suffocating. It can kill creativity and destroy ingenuity. This is why so many people now live life within the confines of societal standards. They have things they should do or not do. The real question should be, “is it legal?” If it is, then you need to really think again. Forget the rules and go for any opportunity that comes your way. Thomas Edison, while working on an invention, was told by his assistants about the rules they needed to follow. Thomas replied him, "Damn the rules. We are trying to invent something here."

3. A Job is the Target:

Have you ever heard someone say, “I’m hunting for a job?” It is a popular expression amidst job seekers. I have nothing against looking for a job. The problem is when graduates think that a job is the ultimate. This has made many become prolonged job seekers. Many have lost precious months (and some years) of their lives waiting for a job that never arrived. Since all they see in their mind is a job, they have missed countless opportunities that have crossed their paths. Their desire for quick money has made them lose valuable chances life throws at them .Their hunger for a job has blinded their eyes to the opportunities around them begging to be exploited. Don’t let that be you. If a job is not forthcoming, look around and find an avenue that you can channel your creative abilities into.

There are people who believe that sitting in an office is a sign that they have financial freedom. I call it the “white-collar job deception”. Nothing can be farther from the truth. You are not financially free because you have a job. Don’t be deceived by the false sense of job security either. It is a mirage, like a pot of gold. The only way to financial freedom is to create a venture of your own. Have a stream of income that is not dependent on your boss or a management board. Create a business of your own that will boost your finance. In that way, even if something goes wrong with your job, you will still be buoyant.

Nothing could be farther from the truth. If you believe that you need big money to make money, it is most likely true that you cannot make money. The basic necessity for a business is not money but ideas. Capital will always flow to anybody that has a good business idea and relentlessly acting upon the idea regardless of the obstacles obstructing him. in most cases, if the idea is valid and logical, it will require little capital to start it. Anyone who wants to immediately open a business in a big way most likely will not be able to cope with its growth and magnitude. If you have a business idea, start small. And then nurture it like a baby till it grows. Don't waste your time looking for huge capital.

Conclusively

with the rate of unemployment and underemployment in Nigeria, Nigerians need alternative income generating sources online. this is because, most legitimate online jobs never get saturated and requires a little or no capital. the form of online job that Nigerians have just started becoming aware that it is highly lucrative is affiliate marketing. affiliate marketing is the online business that i personally recommend to any Nigerian that wants to build a passive income source online.

for a limited time you can see the personal secrets that i use to stand out in affiliate marketing at www.affiliatejagaban.com/p/jagaban.html
Re: 5 Things People Wrongly Believe That No Longer Work by mchenryking0(m): 7:05pm On Feb 17, 2017
God bless the OP
Re: 5 Things People Wrongly Believe That No Longer Work by playboy19(m): 7:18pm On Feb 17, 2017
importexpert:

3. A Job is the Target:

Conclusively

Kontinu, be lying to them, especially the you don't need a capital to start business part. You think the whole country wants to be a blogger or whatever you people call it
Re: 5 Things People Wrongly Believe That No Longer Work by princeonx: 7:20pm On Feb 17, 2017
importexpert:

what is aduro?
It's a meal made out of snake egg.
Re: 5 Things People Wrongly Believe That No Longer Work by Vick4rill(m): 8:26pm On Feb 17, 2017
This was the same way schooling was advertise and encourage as a means to financial heaven in 190's.if we are not careful , we will over-hyped entrepreneurship like we over-hyped education in this country

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things People Wrongly Believe That No Longer Work by Heavance(m): 8:29pm On Feb 17, 2017
Rett0:

It's only in Nigeria graduates are expected to be tailors, hairdressers, market women and casava farmers and we clap n call it innovation.
If I wanted to be any of these I wouldn't have to waste my time studying Medicine, Law, Engineering, Accounting ........ That's why we have professions classified based on skill level 1,2 or 3 and Unskilled

Let's talk about becoming Entrepreneurs in our field of study through gaining work experience and Not celebrating the fact that our Graduates are becoming Trades men and women, Carpenters, welders, taxi drivers and in fact puff Puff sellers. Our parents were never handed those kind of jobs after graduation in their days. I was told they had 2 good offers to choose from with a car gift.

Why is our case different Things are obviously not right. I rest my case
Tiri gbosa, in short 100 gbosa to you.....
It seems we came late to Nigeria, that's how I see our generation

1 Like

Re: 5 Things People Wrongly Believe That No Longer Work by mikedimeji(m): 9:26pm On Feb 17, 2017
Heavance:

Tiri gbosa, in short 100 gbosa to you.....
It seems we came late to Nigeria, that's how I see our generation
I can not but agree with that part " we came late to Nigeria" because I remembered when my pastor said when he was in University of Ile-Ife now OAU, that they used to give them money, so much then that some traveled out why some bought cars, as a matter of fact he bought a car too. But that Nigeria has Expired, so we came when the country is already old and very sick and no one to salvage the situation. Grace of God is sufficient for the common man. It's only when things have gone awry that we use post like this to console ourselves but the truth is in a sane community it shouldn't be the case

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things People Wrongly Believe That No Longer Work by Stanbeto: 6:01am On Feb 18, 2017
You are correct
Re: 5 Things People Wrongly Believe That No Longer Work by koyeni(m): 6:16am On Feb 18, 2017
Re: 5 Things People Wrongly Believe That No Longer Work by usmanjay(m): 1:18pm On Feb 18, 2017
confirm! I wish people I mean some people should know this
Re: 5 Things People Wrongly Believe That No Longer Work by importexpert(m): 9:25am On Feb 20, 2017
good morning to everyone on the thread.
Re: 5 Things People Wrongly Believe That No Longer Work by Xzbit91: 2:52pm On Feb 20, 2017
importexpert:
good morning to everyone on the thread.

Ogbeni, sent you mail but you've not replied

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oprah Winfrey Beats Folorunsho Alakija To Be Richest Black Woman On The Planet / Is Ice Block Production And Selling Business Really Profitable / Some African Countries Currencies (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.