Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,267 members, 7,811,764 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:13 PM

How A Car's Mileage(Odometer) Is Rolled-Back - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How A Car's Mileage(Odometer) Is Rolled-Back (5674 Views)

My Car Odometer Is Not Changing / Coscharis Ford Auto Plant In Nigeria - 600 Vehicles Rolled Out Already / How To Check Odometer Fraud And How It Works In A Vechicle (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How A Car's Mileage(Odometer) Is Rolled-Back by TRYGO(m): 9:24pm On Feb 17, 2017
INTRODUCTION
I have often heard people say, the digital meter on the instrument panel, can never be rolled back. The myth had been that its only the analogue digital mileages that could be adjusted.

These days, there are tools available, especially online in China, that can be used to carry out such a "crime".

In the developed world, rolling a car's mileage backwards different from it's present or true readings, is a terrible crime. It could an auto shop, millions of dollars in lawsuits, and a jail term also. But in the third world, there aren't regulations or laws, prohibiting such practices.

Dealerships, or individuals, could easily manipulate a car's true mileage readings just for the financial benefits that would accrue them.

WHY DO PEOPLE ROLL-BACK A CAR'S MILEAGE?

*Because of greed. It's a commonly held norm that used cars with lower mileages are more expensive than ones with higher mileages. That would be a discussion for some other time.

*Following an accident, a car's dashboard, including the speedometer could be damaged, requiring a replacement.

People, I mean anyone trying to sake a car somewhere, can hire the services of a repair shop to do such adjustments.
Carrying out such adjustments does not reveal the actual mileage of the car, but conceals it.

HOW ARE MILEAGES ROLLED BACK?

1. Removing the speedometer(higher mileage), and replacing it with a lesser mileage from a donor vehicle.

In this method, an accidental car, with a lower mileage is transplanted into the car with a higher mileage. This does not erase the mileage of the acceptor vehicle, but instead, conceals it. That's what SOME car dealers and individuals do.

For instance, if your car's mileage reads 300,437miles, and as a dealer, you'd want to sake that car to an unsuspecting client, what he only needs to do is to get a donor vehicle with a lower mileage of say, 57,122miles, and transfers it to the acceptor vehicle. The vehicle would now read, 57,122mikes, instead if the original 300,437miles.

Note, this technique is applicable to digital speedometer types, and not the analogue type.

2. Memory chip transplant. Its a smart technique, that requires complex skills in electronics.

This technique involves dismantling the speedometer unit completely as seen in the photos below. This exposes the electronic circuitry of the circuit board, where the memory chip is located.

The memory chip is what stores all the distances travelled through out the lifespan of the vehicle.

Special specialized equipment are required to perfect a job like this.
Applicable to digital speedometers.

3. Readjusting an analogue mileage display(odometer).
Analogue ones are a little bit difficult to adjust.
The mileages are removed and adjusted without using specialized equipment.

4. Jack up rear method. In this method, the rear wheels are jacked up, and properly positioned on a safety stands. The wheels are then turned in a reversed manner, to reset the odometer reading to a much lesser one.
This method is applicable only to analogue odometers.

5. Odometer switch method. A switch is incorporated into an odometer current feed circuit, offering a car owner to switch off and on the odometer readings, anytime he/she desires.

Let's take for instance, a driver wants to achieve say, an odometer reading of 79,000miles, and doesn't want to go through the methods explained above.

The driver, with aid of the odometer reading control switch, would toggle off the reading, while driving the car, but would switch it on back, to check if the mileage has exceeded, or not.

This is a very complex kind of manipulation, and a tedious exercise.
You'd have to be vast in some sort of electronics.

I hope this short piece helps you guys understand more how your car's mileage readings are adjusted.

PS: Throughout this week, I'd be writing extensively on mileage (odometers).
Expect more insights in the coming days.

Regards,
Joseph
08066643532(call/WhatsApp)

Re: How A Car's Mileage(Odometer) Is Rolled-Back by Highestheight(m): 9:53pm On Feb 17, 2017
Hmm!, This is a good one! thanks man for educating us.
Re: How A Car's Mileage(Odometer) Is Rolled-Back by TRYGO(m): 9:55pm On Feb 17, 2017
@highestheight. Thanks a thousand.
Re: How A Car's Mileage(Odometer) Is Rolled-Back by givemedatin: 10:18pm On Feb 17, 2017
Igono Joseph I see your handwork. . .please do keep it up. Thanks for this wonderful piece
Re: How A Car's Mileage(Odometer) Is Rolled-Back by TRYGO(m): 10:19pm On Feb 17, 2017
@givemedatin. Men, you tried o! Dropping even my tribal name.
Re: How A Car's Mileage(Odometer) Is Rolled-Back by givemedatin: 10:25pm On Feb 17, 2017
TRYGO:
@givemedatin. Men, you tried o! Dropping even my tribal name.

I know you very well. . .UAM Set 05
Re: How A Car's Mileage(Odometer) Is Rolled-Back by TRYGO(m): 10:55pm On Feb 17, 2017
@givemedatin. Hmmm, nawao! How's work going brother!? Hope you are cool?
Re: How A Car's Mileage(Odometer) Is Rolled-Back by Dottore: 8:11am On Feb 18, 2017
Well like you rightly said. Rolling back odometer readings is fraudulent and should be discouraged in its entirety.

1 Like

Re: How A Car's Mileage(Odometer) Is Rolled-Back by TRYGO(m): 10:09am On Feb 18, 2017
@dottore. Exactly. In the USA, that can even result in the closer of an auto shop, and the payment of heavy fines.
Re: How A Car's Mileage(Odometer) Is Rolled-Back by onlinediva: 5:44pm On Dec 26, 2023
Here is another tool used for rolling down mileage. It will be plugged to the car's instrument cluster.

Re: How A Car's Mileage(Odometer) Is Rolled-Back by CarGuideNG: 6:38am On Dec 31, 2023
Planning to buy a car?

Comprehensive VIN Checks & Reports

https://www.carguide.ng

+2347011116171 [Direct WhatsApp Chat Link In Signature]

Available 24 Hours

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

NADDC To Institute Automotive Design Competition Nationwide / Roadx Motorsport Is Organising A Launch Party For Car Racing Fans In Nigeria / Good Day, My Bmw 320i Won't Select Gears Only Go In Reverse Gear

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.