Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,411 members, 7,836,658 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:06 AM

Coconut Candy - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Coconut Candy (11343 Views)

Life Virgin Coconut Oil for sale. / Coconut Water, Your Misconceptions? / Coconut With Seed! I Saw It Today, Any Explanation? (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Coconut Candy by Hauwa1: 3:44pm On Dec 08, 2009
Please forumites help me with idea on how to make coconut candy,  i mean the way we do it in niaja or any other recipes. i signed up at an Africa students gathering to bring authentic grin coconut candy for our meeting. how do i slice my coconut (dont want to use razor blade  grin)
Re: Coconut Candy by Epi: 10:23pm On Dec 08, 2009
The only home made coconut candy I know of, is coconut brittle

Ingredients

vanilla extract
butter
sugar
shredded coconut

Method

In a pot (medium heat) stir together sugar and vanilla extract until sugar dissolves
add coconut while stirring
pour into a greased cookie sheet (spread thinly)
Let cool until firm
Break into pieces
Re: Coconut Candy by mamagee3(f): 1:22am On Dec 09, 2009
Can anyone post a pic? undecided
I have a feeling it's going to look and taste delicious
. kiss
Re: Coconut Candy by Hauwa1: 3:20pm On Dec 09, 2009
Epi thank you for that recipe. if i want to use fresh coconut instead, what kind of machine should i use to cut the coconut thinly/tiny?
Re: Coconut Candy by Nobody: 6:15pm On Dec 09, 2009
in the bowl on the left.

[img]http://2.bp..com/_Ws0eB85KikU/SQ8gNHAwyyI/AAAAAAAABFY/Rhdod35E3VE/s400/lam+cho+and+coconut.jpg[/img]

its also a Jamaican snack.

mama-gee:

Can anyone post a pic? undecided
I have a feeling it's going to look and taste delicious
. kiss
Re: Coconut Candy by Epi: 7:03pm On Dec 09, 2009
*Hauwa*:

Epi thank you for that recipe. if i want to use fresh coconut instead, what kind of machine should i use to cut the coconut thinly/tiny?
Yes, I use fresh coconut and you don't need a machine.  Just take your hands and break it in pieces.  I am in the mood since yesterday that I will make(maybe weekend) Try using Brown sugar (extra brown if you have)

@tpia

I know brittle to look like this (see pic) except in this pic, they use light brown sugar.  Your pic looks like sugar cake to meundecided

They both have the same ingredients except you add a little water (to make it softer) to the sugarcake.  Brittle - more sugar and less coconut (shredded coconut ).  Sugarcake - more coconut (grated coconut) and less sugar

Re: Coconut Candy by dominique(f): 8:49pm On Dec 09, 2009
i really miss that snack (esp the one made with icing sugar), used to eat it a lot then back in the days.
@Epi
thanks for the recipe though i don't think they use vanilla extract in the ones i used to eat. undecided.
at what stage do you add the butter?
i really wanna try it out one of these days smiley kiss
Re: Coconut Candy by Epi: 12:31am On Dec 10, 2009
dominique:

i really miss that snack (esp the one made with icing sugar), used to eat it a lot then back in the days.
@Epi
thanks for the recipe though i don't think they use vanilla extract in the ones i used to eat. undecided.
at what stage do you add the butter?
i really wanna try it out one of these days smiley kiss
to grease the pan. Brown sugar flavors well but the vanilla extract (essence) gives it a better flavor wink
Re: Coconut Candy by Nobody: 12:34am On Dec 10, 2009
Will try out the recipe. . . .
Re: Coconut Candy by mamagee3(f): 1:11am On Dec 10, 2009
I was wrong,
It looks gross
. angry
Re: Coconut Candy by Nobody: 4:08am On Dec 10, 2009
^^ it tastes good though

it doesnt look that bad either.
Re: Coconut Candy by Hauwa1: 4:31pm On Dec 10, 2009
Epi, how do you shred your fresh coconut? not the already done one. do you get fresh shredded coconut in store? i am looking for ways to thinly cut my coconut without using hand and knife (no time to do that) i will try your first recipe wink

Tpia, thanks for the pix on the left. that's the type i am looking to do, got any idea how to get my coconut sliced to get that tiny look?
will dried flaky coconut still be as that pix on the left?
Re: Coconut Candy by agathamari(f): 5:15pm On Dec 10, 2009
this is my grams recipie for coconut peanut butter bon bons

1 1/2 cups shaved baked coconut
2 cups peanut butter (plain, no pepper or other seasonings)
powdered sugar (amount depends on other ingredients have 3-4 cups handy though)
1tbs vanilla
touch of honey
parafin wax (optional)
semi sweet chocolate

mix coconut, peanut butter, vanilla and honey.  stir in powdered sugar untill tacky.  roll into 1 inch balls and set aside (freezer if possible) melt 1/3 stick of parafin wax with the chocolate in a double boiler (wax keeps the chocolate from melting in your hand or candy dish).  dip balls into chocolate and coat well.  set balls on wax paper to firm.  can be frozen for 6 months.

or mix coconut with vanilla and chocolate to make coconut clusters
Re: Coconut Candy by carnival: 7:51pm On Dec 10, 2009
agathamari:

this is my grams recipie for coconut peanut butter bon bons

1 1/2 cups shaved baked coconut
2 cups peanut butter (plain, no pepper or other seasonings)
powdered sugar (amount depends on other ingredients have 3-4 cups handy though)
1tbs vanilla
touch of honey
parafin wax (optional)
semi sweet chocolate

mix coconut, peanut butter, vanilla and honey.  stir in powdered sugar untill tacky.  roll into 1 inch balls and set aside (freezer if possible) melt 1/3 stick of parafin wax with the chocolate in a double boiler (wax keeps the chocolate from melting in your hand or candy dish).  dip balls into chocolate and coat well.  set balls on wax paper to firm.  can be frozen for 6 months.

or mix coconut with vanilla and chocolate to make coconut clusters

For your pure chocolates (dark, white and milk), We have them here in Nigeria (made in Nigeria chocolate)

www.carnivalchocolate.com or you can place orders on 08052373990. We are just a phone call away
Re: Coconut Candy by Epi: 1:14am On Dec 11, 2009
*Hauwa*:

Epi, how do you shred your fresh coconut? not the already done one. do you get fresh shredded coconut in store? i am looking for ways to thinly cut my coconut without using hand and knife (no time to do that) i will try your first recipe wink
You can use a chopper but I prefer to use the grater. However, I don't use the shredded side, I use the thin cut (B) side. I am so longing for brittle so please send me a piece when you are done. cool

Re: Coconut Candy by mamagee3(f): 1:25am On Dec 11, 2009
tpia.:

^^ it tastes good though

it doesnt look that bad either.

My eyes are my sense of taste
I taste my own food with my eyes
. grin grin
Re: Coconut Candy by Nobody: 2:57pm On Dec 11, 2009
^^ you'll be missing a lot if you pass on coconut brittle because you dont find it attractive wink
Re: Coconut Candy by Nobody: 3:00pm On Dec 11, 2009
*Hauwa*:

Tpia, thanks for the pix on the left. that's the type i am looking to do, got any idea how to get my coconut sliced to get that tiny look?
will dried flaky coconut still be as that pix on the left?

i'm not sure but maybe a food processor/chopper?

I'm more used to grating it by hand.
Re: Coconut Candy by Jews32: 12:14pm On Dec 17, 2009
maybe coconut macaroons? I think they're coconut, sugar and probably something else, then dipped in chocolate.

dog pet carriers | flexible shoe moulding | kuranda pet beds
Re: Coconut Candy by Hauwa1: 4:33pm On Dec 18, 2009
yes that's the fancy name grin and they have plenty in the stores but you know i wanted to show our way of doing it without all those preservatives and stuff.

Made it with coconut flake and fresh coconut water (cracked the coconut and used the clear water).
end result, looked like the pix Tpia posted on left but unfortunately it didnt stick together.

did another one with 1 fresh coconut for trial, grated it with the grater that Epi posted. disappointed real bad cuz it was the worst coco_unsticky_candy i have ever seen in my life.

sugar is not the problem so my friend thought it might be the weather here or something we just dont know. ended in the trash.
the one i first did with the flaky coconut came out real crunchy this morning. still not sticking together.
Re: Coconut Candy by Epi: 5:41pm On Dec 19, 2009
*Hauwa*:

did another one with 1 fresh coconut for trial, grated it with the grater that Epi posted. disappointed real bad cuz it was the worst coco_unsticky_candy i have ever seen in my life.
Hauwa, please don't kill me with laughing, I am begging you. I've never laughed so hard in my entire life., especially the last part ( i have ever seen in my life) On a serious note, I am sorry about the blunder. My mom say (on line with her now) to add some syrup with the sugar (it will stick) She say to try it again. I always try recipe a second time after first blunder.
Re: Coconut Candy by Hauwa1: 3:27pm On Dec 21, 2009
Epi dear, thank you wink. will add syrup next time. oh well, i ended up buying macaroon for the party.
Re: Coconut Candy by Nobody: 10:00pm On Dec 24, 2009
hmm- could be the type of sugar used maybe?

you know in Nigeria we use cubed cane sugar- the composition could be a bit different from the type sold elsewhere.

and yes, the one I ate here was like the photo- same taste but not sticky
Re: Coconut Candy by mohawkchic(f): 4:09am On Dec 25, 2009
~We have this snack back home,only we call it "Coconut Cake" Everthing seem to be "Something-cake" cheesy

~The shredded coconuts are held together w/ the sugar. . usually comes in All white or Brown & White or All Caramel Brown. . .
Re: Coconut Candy by mohawkchic(f): 4:14am On Dec 25, 2009
~Liberian Coconut Candy~:This is a classic Liberian candy, which incorporates two major Liberaian products — coconuts and cinnamon (or cassia). Rather than being a hard candy this is really finely-grated coconut flesh bound with sugar.

Ingredients:

3 large coconuts
1kg brown sugar
3 tbsp ground cinnamon
icing sugar to coat

Coconut Candy Preparation:

Method:

Traditionally the quantities needed are the grated flesh of 3 large coconuts combined with 1kg of brown sugar, adjust your quantities accordingly.

Crack open the coconuts and remove any water (chill and drink this). Remove the flesh then finely grate this (along with any inner brown husk covering the flesh). When done mix in the cinnamon and set the grated coconut flesh aside.

Meanwhile add the sugar to a large pan or saucepan. Heat gently until it melts then bring to a boil. Continue heating until the sugar thickens and begins to darken (ie until it reaches the hard ball stage). Take off the heat and immediately stir-in the coconut. Return to the heat and continue stirring until the coconut is completely covered in the molten sugar. Pour onto a lightly-greased tray then mound up with a spoon and set aside to cool.

When the coconut candy is cool enough to handle take small handfuls of the mixture and roll into balls between your palms. Roll these balls in icing sugar so that they're coated then store in an air-tight container.
Re: Coconut Candy by mohawkchic(f): 4:23am On Dec 25, 2009
~Do You also call it Kuli Kuli? Found this pic  on Google. . Someone's very poor attempt at it grin. . .

Re: Coconut Candy by Hauwa1: 4:21pm On Dec 30, 2009
Tpia, you may be right. i will try using cane sugar next time just for a trial.
mohawk, cinna kini grin that is something else but nice. i hope to try it
Re: Coconut Candy by mohawkchic(f): 7:06pm On Dec 31, 2009
*Hauwa*:

mohawk, cinna kini grin that is something else but nice. i hope to try it

~ cheesy. . Oh!
Re: Coconut Candy by armyofone(m): 8:32pm On Nov 21, 2011
ummm, miss me.
Omoge Hauwa yarinya
Re: Coconut Candy by afrolems: 10:56am On Dec 20, 2012
The coconut candy recipe is available on the Afrolems website http://afrolems.com/2012/12/20/candied-coconut-8th-day-of-christmas/

1 Like

Re: Coconut Candy by tpia5: 7:20pm On Dec 20, 2012
hmm, looks ok i guess.

though in nigeria its not usually rounded like that.
Re: Coconut Candy by ewaalo(m): 9:07am On Aug 27, 2018
I need buyer of coconut husk chip serious buyers should contact me 08075674572

(1) (Reply)

Living Besides Nigeria / Which Food Do You Enjoying Cooking Most? / Meat Before Or After Meal: Which Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.