Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,874 members, 7,810,328 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:08 AM

Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit (12219 Views)

Secretaries’ Opinions On The Benefit And Challenges Of Information And Communic / Facebook Community Leadership Program: Nigeria To Benefit From $10m Investment / Widow Loses N2.9m In Benue To A Ponzi Scheme (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by motocamara: 10:53pm On Feb 18, 2017
My aunty's husband who was a civil servant in Lagos State, recently died. Before that, he had made her next of kin for his benefits. 

Although they have paid her husband's Insurance Benefit, they are refusing to pay her his Death Benefit, claiming that the insurance benefit is also the death benefit. 

Lawyers, insurance executives, civil servants and other Knowledgeable people in the house, please help out: Is someone trying to deprive a widow of her husband's death benefit?

Let's help this widow because she needs all the money she can get to take care of the children her husband left behind.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by motocamara: 10:49am On Feb 19, 2017
Bump
Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by ajasa4link: 12:10pm On Feb 19, 2017
@op I may not be too familiar with how things are done in the public sector, but the little I know about private sector is this; It is mandatory by law that an organisation with 10 employees or more should make insurance provisions for its employees to cater for their beneficiaries in the event of death while on the service of the employer. The benefit payable is usually multiples of annual emolument of the staff. (mostly 3x of his annual salary) What this means is, in the event the husband that works with the company dies, the wife or whoever is the next of kin will provide his death cert, medical statement of cause of death.. Etc and forward same to the insurance company or insurance broker handling insurance on behalf of the employer. At the end of the processing, the beneficiaries left behind will be paid 3 times the annual salary of the deceased in a lump sum, thus the death benefit due from the insurance company has been settled.

The other leg is the pension scheme. Am sure the man has a pension fund administrator that holds his pension contribution in trust. The next of kin can also go ahead to claim the man's pension from them

23 Likes

Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by motocamara: 9:43pm On Feb 20, 2017
ajasa4link:
@op I may not be too familiar with how things are done in the public sector, but the little I know about private sector is this; It is mandatory by law that an organisation with 10 employees or more should make insurance provisions for its employees to cater for their beneficiaries in the event of death while on the service of the employer. The benefit payable is usually multiples of annual emolument of the staff. (mostly 3x of his annual salary) What this means is, in the event the husband that works with the company dies, the wife or whoever is the next of kin will provide his death cert, medical statement of cause of death.. Etc and forward same to the insurance company or insurance broker handling insurance on behalf of the employer. At the end of the processing, the beneficiaries left behind will be paid 3 times the annual salary of the deceased in a lump sum, thus the death benefit due from the insurance company has been settled.

The other leg is the pension scheme. Am sure the man has a pension fund administrator that holds his pension contribution in trust. The next of kin can also go ahead to claim the man's pension from them

Thanks so much. It is the same thing in the public sector. However, my aunt has been paid insurance benefit. But she is saying that apart from the insurance benefit, she is also entitled to her husbands death benefit and death gratuity as next of kin. The people that paid her say it is not so. I'm confused as to who is right, but I don't want her not to get the money if she is entitled to it.

Please shed more light on this. Thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by motocamara: 2:50pm On Feb 21, 2017
Bump. Please, let's help a widow if our knowledge can help her cater for the kids in this recession. The difference between insurance benefit and death benefit, if you know.
Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by ajasa4link: 4:04pm On Mar 04, 2017
motocamara:

Thanks so much. It is the same thing in the public sector. However, my aunt has been paid insurance benefit. But she is saying that apart from the insurance benefit, she is also entitled to her husbands death benefit and death gratuity as next of kin. The people that paid her say it is not so. I'm confused as to who is right, but I don't want her not to get the money if she is entitled to it.

Please shed more light on this. Thanks.

Just like I said in my earlier post, I don't know much about the public sector If there is still anything called gratuity however, in the private sector once the insurance company has paid the death benefit to the beneficiary who happens to be the wife in this case, the other lump sum the wife is entitled to is the pension of the deceased husband. I think the problem is, she keeps substituting the terminologies for one another . The same thing she is calling death benefit is the same thing as insurance benefit.

I may be wrong tho

3 Likes

Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by Blessed200016: 11:34am On Jul 02, 2020
Pls anyone with an idea of what batch of death benefits (Gratuity) pencom paid last ?

It's urgent pls
Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by SergeantTitus(m): 3:32am On Jan 17, 2023
Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by Manny21: 3:54pm On Jan 17, 2023
Bleep
Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by Mindlog: 3:54pm On Jan 17, 2023
Learning.
Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by Ekejoestar(m): 3:54pm On Jan 17, 2023
A useful post made 6 years ago just found its way to front-page in 2023 and one would wonder what the mods of NL are actually doing.

I hope the OP has already found the solution to his problem.

32 Likes

Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by Primusinterpares(m): 3:55pm On Jan 17, 2023
Check his offer letter.
If it's there then you have a case of not...

You might not win this battle o
Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by atobs4real(m): 3:55pm On Jan 17, 2023
that evil doer will be buried one day. the evil u do today will follow you
Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by atobs4real(m): 3:55pm On Jan 17, 2023
that evil doer will be buried one day. the evil u do today will follow you tomorrow. be guided
Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by ipobarecriminals: 3:56pm On Jan 17, 2023
sad Forgotten thread suddenly wake up in 2023.May God remember us for good

5 Likes

Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by atobs4real(m): 3:56pm On Jan 17, 2023
LASACO PAID HIS DEATH BENEFITS
Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by ecolime(m): 3:57pm On Jan 17, 2023
Thread of 2017 shocked

Even the dead go don turn Landlord for heaven. No offence.

Back to the topic, stress wey pensioners dey face in Naija na die not to talk of 'next of kin'

5 Likes

Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by atobs4real(m): 3:57pm On Jan 17, 2023
LASACO ASSURANCE PAID HIS DEATH BENEFITS
Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jan 17, 2023
Hell Fire awaits who ever is trying to do that cool cool cool
Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by Bubu4Sea: 3:58pm On Jan 17, 2023
Nigerians are wicked people
Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by quickberry(m): 3:59pm On Jan 17, 2023
motocamara:
My aunty's husband who was a civil servant in Lagos State, recently died. Before that, he had made her next of kin for his benefits. 

Although they have paid her husband's Insurance Benefit, they are refusing to pay her his Death Benefit, claiming that the insurance benefit is also the death benefit. 

Lawyers, insurance executives, civil servants and other Knowledgeable people in the house, please help out: Is someone trying to deprive a widow of her husband's death benefit?

Let's help this widow because she needs all the money she can get to take care of the children her husband left behind.

Kindly contact Mr JAGS on twitter
Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by sofeo(m): 3:59pm On Jan 17, 2023
Alright!
Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by Sheistoopretty(f): 4:00pm On Jan 17, 2023
A very Educative and Important thread created in 2017 hitting the front page in 2023? undecided undecided undecided undecided

While a meaningless thread of a small boy fantasizing how he had s*x with a girl in his father's house made front page with the speed of light? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

I now believe the People here who have been saying it that Nairaland has gone to the dogs

6 Likes

Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jan 17, 2023
Hmm
Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by ipobarecriminals: 4:00pm On Jan 17, 2023
shocked 2017 thread in 2023 sad grin grin grin
Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by bestman09(m): 4:00pm On Jan 17, 2023
Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by Lolachef(f): 4:01pm On Jan 17, 2023
A post of how many years ago?Nairaland sef angryIf naa models,snake ,bbn or sex talk now fiam u gondon see ham for front page.

2 Likes

Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by Romanoff(f): 4:02pm On Jan 17, 2023
Could be. Especially on a group life insurance situation.
Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by AfahaAbia(m): 4:02pm On Jan 17, 2023
So SergeantTitus had to resurrect this thread from 2017 for motocamara today Things dey happen ooo
Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by 4words: 4:03pm On Jan 17, 2023
Hi, @motocamara
I have once worked with insurance company, the fact that lasaco insurance paid your dad his gratuity means he is under the annuity program, meaning there is a 10years guaranty period that is attached to annuity program by law.

They are to pay your mum the remaining period under the guaranty period.

Talk to them about the guaranty period. Not death benefit.

1 Like

Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by codeplace(m): 4:03pm On Jan 17, 2023
If the person o group life insurance
Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by gaby(m): 4:03pm On Jan 17, 2023
ajasa4link:

Just like I said in my earlier post, I don't know much about the public sector If there is still anything called gratuity however, in the private sector once the insurance company has paid the death benefit to the beneficiary who happens to be the wife in this case, the other lump sum the wife is entitled to is the pension of the deceased husband. I think the problem is, she keeps substituting the terminologies for one another . The same thing she is calling death benefit is the same thing as insurance benefit.

I may be wrong tho

You are right about this. The mix-up of the terminologies is where the confusion stems from.

What I'm sure she is supposedly fighting for next, is his pension contribution and his pension administrators should be handling that.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

View This Simple 3 Bedroom Bungalow Architectural Design / Cryptocurrency Trading As Plan B For Beginners / Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.