Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,993 members, 7,821,469 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:24 PM

Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit - Investment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit (12228 Views)

Secretaries’ Opinions On The Benefit And Challenges Of Information And Communic / Facebook Community Leadership Program: Nigeria To Benefit From $10m Investment / Widow Loses N2.9m In Benue To A Ponzi Scheme (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by merits(m): 4:03pm On Jan 17, 2023
motocamara:
My aunty's husband who was a civil servant in Lagos State, recently died. Before that, he had made her next of kin for his benefits. 

Although they have paid her husband's Insurance Benefit, they are refusing to pay her his Death Benefit, claiming that the insurance benefit is also the death benefit. 

Lawyers, insurance executives, civil servants and other Knowledgeable people in the house, please help out: Is someone trying to deprive a widow of her husband's death benefit?

Let's help this widow because she needs all the money she can get to take care of the children her husband left behind.
Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by Asquare84(m): 4:04pm On Jan 17, 2023
motocamara:
My aunty's husband who was a civil servant in Lagos State, recently died. Before that, he had made her next of kin for his benefits. 

Although they have paid her husband's Insurance Benefit, they are refusing to pay her his Death Benefit, claiming that the insurance benefit is also the death benefit. 

Lawyers, insurance executives, civil servants and other Knowledgeable people in the house, please help out: Is someone trying to deprive a widow of her husband's death benefit?

Let's help this widow because she needs all the money she can get to take care of the children her husband left behind.

let the widow go to the husband pension fund administrator, bulk of the husband retirement benefit is with the PFA. all the balance in the pension account will be paid emblock to the next of kin. i don't know the numbers of years the deceased spent with lagos state government, but if he join service before the introduction of the contributory pension scheme in 2004, you can be assured that he still have outstanding benefit in the old defined benefit scheme.

3 Likes

Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by kozmokaz(m): 4:05pm On Jan 17, 2023
quickberry:

Kindly contact Mr JAGS on twitter

Is op still alive ?
Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by gaby(m): 4:07pm On Jan 17, 2023
Sheistoopretty:
A very Educative and Important thread created in 2017 hitting the front page in 2023? undecided undecided undecided undecided

While a meaningless thread of a small boy fantasizing how he had s*x with a girl in his father's house made front page with the speed of light? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

I now believe the People here who have been saying it that Nairaland has gone to the dogs

The forum has seen better days.

1 Like

Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by 4words: 4:13pm On Jan 17, 2023
Sheistoopretty:
A very Educative and Important thread created in 2017 hitting the front page in 2023? undecided undecided undecided undecided

While a meaningless thread of a small boy fantasizing how he had s*x with a girl in his father's house made front page with the speed of light? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

I now believe the People here who have been saying it that Nairaland has gone to the dogs

Bleep, I didn't even look at the date before responding.

1 Like

Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by Sweetvie: 4:18pm On Jan 17, 2023
Hmmm
Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by Sweetvie: 4:20pm On Jan 17, 2023
Sheistoopretty:

What!!
I did not even check the date shocked

1 Like

Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by OllyArt(m): 4:31pm On Jan 17, 2023
2017 post............. is not God wonderful

1 Like

Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by infotainment(m): 4:33pm On Jan 17, 2023
motocamara:

Thanks so much. It is the same thing in the public sector. However, my aunt has been paid insurance benefit. But she is saying that apart from the insurance benefit, she is also entitled to her husbands death benefit and death gratuity as next of kin. The people that paid her say it is not so. I'm confused as to who is right, but I don't want her not to get the money if she is entitled to it.

Please shed more light on this. Thanks.

Dear Op, most companies have stopped gratuity payment, Nigeria having switched to the Pension scheme, The widow can only be paid outstanding balance of gratuity of the husband, if only same have not been paid to the husband while alive, because most companies have paid off their staff gratuity.

1 Like

Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by iamL(f): 4:34pm On Jan 17, 2023
ipobarecriminals:
sad Forgotten thread suddenly wake up in 2023.May God remember us for good

Dry bones shall rise again.
Dry bones shall rise again.
Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by iamL(f): 4:35pm On Jan 17, 2023
kozmokaz:

Is op still alive ?

Are you after her life?
Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by kozmokaz(m): 4:39pm On Jan 17, 2023
iamL:

Are you after her life?

Dear lot of people done comot since 2017

Can count how many I lost just in 2020
Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by Emmypure: 5:48pm On Jan 17, 2023
W
Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by 18wheeler: 6:43pm On Jan 17, 2023
ajasa4link:

Just like I said in my earlier post, I don't know much about the public sector If there is still anything called gratuity however, in the private sector once the insurance company has paid the death benefit to the beneficiary who happens to be the wife in this case, the other lump sum the wife is entitled to is the pension of the deceased husband. I think the problem is, she keeps substituting the terminologies for one another . The same thing she is calling death benefit is the same thing as insurance benefit.

I may be wrong tho
I think you are right. The insurance is the death benefit as I know it. It’s independent of the accrued pension which will be paid by the pension administrator. If the employer isn’t subscribed to the pension scheme, then the next of kin can claim the accrued pension from the employer separate from the insurance.
Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by SILVERLINES: 7:21pm On Jan 17, 2023
Ekejoestar:
A useful post made 6 years ago just found its way to front-page in 2023 and one would wonder what the mods of NL are actually doing.

I hope the OP has already found the solution to his problem.
that's what happen when op don't have money to pay the mods or a very juicy pussy for aggrandizement
Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by galantjoe(m): 3:33am On Jan 18, 2023
The op did not provide more information such as
1. Whether the deceased had retired or still in active service before he died
2. Whether it was her husband that solely initiated the insurance policy before he died or the Lagos State govt.

To answer these questions
1. If he has retired, he has no death benefit, the insurance co that hold his pension fund will pay his NOK all outstanding unpaid pension. However, if he is still in active service, the insurance will pay his death benefit if the govt has life insurance policy on him plus his accumulated pension contribution

2. Some people do initiate private life assurance Policy on themselves. That one will be one off payment to the NOK

I hope my explanation will meet your inquiry
Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by yoddy(m): 3:51am On Jan 18, 2023
motocamara:

Thanks so much. It is the same thing in the public sector. However, my aunt has been paid insurance benefit. But she is saying that apart from the insurance benefit, she is also entitled to her husbands death benefit and death gratuity as next of kin. The people that paid her say it is not so. I'm confused as to who is right, but I don't want her not to get the money if she is entitled to it.

I would assume the insurance benefit is also the death benefit. The reason that would exist is to take the load off the company in the advent of the death of a member of staff. Also, the gratuity etc would be with the Pension fund administrators. There would be a process to getting these.... talk to the HR dept of the company

1 Like

Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by Pearl1910: 8:58am On Jan 18, 2023
motocamara:

Her husband has a pension fund, this is separate from Life Insurance.
The problem is did her husband have a Life insurance policy? Maybe it's the pension fund that has been paid and she thinks it's the life insurance.
Re: Let's Help A Widow: Difference Between Insurance Benefit And Death Benefit by kezienaira: 6:15pm On Jan 18, 2023
18wheeler:

I think you are right. The insurance is the death benefit as I know it. It’s independent of the accrued pension which will be paid by the pension administrator. If the employer isn’t subscribed to the pension scheme, then the next of kin can claim the accrued pension from the employer separate from the insurance.

Bigman, you just ghosted me all of a sudden after a discussion.
What went wrong nah? grin grin
Or you weren't ready to let it go in the first place

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Would You Feel Earning 3% Daily Profit Of Your Investment For A Lifetime? / SEC On Lockdown Over Attempt To Reinstate Suspended DG, Gwarzo / Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.