Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,301 members, 7,815,543 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:15 PM

Why UPS Trucks ( Almost) Never Turn Left CNN News - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why UPS Trucks ( Almost) Never Turn Left CNN News (21033 Views)

Nord Automobiles Rolls Out Pick-Ups From Lagos Plant / Osinbajo Left Presidential Villa For A Break In His Benz S-class / This Machine Can Wash Dangote Trucks, BRT, Luxurious Buses, Trailers In 6mins (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why UPS Trucks ( Almost) Never Turn Left CNN News by Caseless: 7:47am On Mar 07, 2017
Oyibo sef
Re: Why UPS Trucks ( Almost) Never Turn Left CNN News by FUSS: 7:50am On Mar 07, 2017
lonelydora:
Today is my birthday

you're correct bro. Happy Birthday.
I was also born in March.

1 Like

Re: Why UPS Trucks ( Almost) Never Turn Left CNN News by bullabong(m): 7:57am On Mar 07, 2017
GAZZUZZ:
I have been trying to count how many left turns I have to make (unavoidable) to get to work grin
Do u even understand the information communicated? I doubt.
Re: Why UPS Trucks ( Almost) Never Turn Left CNN News by CareyHub(f): 8:02am On Mar 07, 2017
odaniel1:

Which is why their economy moves forward brother.
Imagine telling LASTMA or Roadsafety to study traffic grid or form algorithms for softwares that would provide alternative routse for road users!
I bend if dem try am fr naija...hw much u dy pay d traffic officer first??..hehehehe
I think our first problem is that we are first concerned about money.. the question should be "How many of these traffic officers are learned enough to study traffic grid howbeit, providing alternative routes." They are only interested in earning and hence have a poor attitude towards work.
Re: Why UPS Trucks ( Almost) Never Turn Left CNN News by CareyHub(f): 8:04am On Mar 07, 2017
odaniel1:

Which is why their economy moves forward brother.
Imagine telling LASTMA or Roadsafety to study traffic grid or form algorithms for softwares that would provide alternative routse for road users!
I bend if dem try am fr naija...hw much u dy pay d traffic officer first??..hehehehe
I think our first problem is that we are first concerned about money.. the question should be "How many of these traffic officers are learned enough to study traffic grid howbeit, providing alternative routes." They are only interested in earning and hence have a poor attitude towards work.
Re: Why UPS Trucks ( Almost) Never Turn Left CNN News by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:18am On Mar 07, 2017
bullabong:
Do u even understand the information communicated? I doubt.

You wan take me shine abi?www.nairaland.com/attachments/4891438_img20170123213837_jpeg44d64119d68615efce35089c4a57515e
Re: Why UPS Trucks ( Almost) Never Turn Left CNN News by HardMirror(m): 8:22am On Mar 07, 2017
GAZZUZZ:
I have been trying to count how many left turns I have to make (unavoidable) to get to work grin
Everyone that drives would agree with this study. It is much easy to join a traffic going right than turning left. And I agree that left turns are likely to cause more accidents than right turn.
Left turns also require you taking time to study both the traffic moving right and going left, while right turns only require you studying the traffic moving right.
Nice one from UPS, that is efficiency and intelligent work practice.
Re: Why UPS Trucks ( Almost) Never Turn Left CNN News by HardMirror(m): 8:23am On Mar 07, 2017
tolulinks:
I have no idea what they are talking about
It is obvious you don't drive.
Re: Why UPS Trucks ( Almost) Never Turn Left CNN News by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:25am On Mar 07, 2017
HardMirror:

Everyone that drives would agree with this study. It is much easy to join a traffic going right than turning left. And I agree that left turns are likely to cause more accidents than right turn.
Left turns also require you taking time to study both the traffic moving right and going left, while right turns only require you studying the traffic moving right.
Nice one from UPS, that is efficiency and intelligent work practice.

good comment, you have educated those who do not understand the rationale behind the right turns. I still have to take unavoidable left turns to work and back every day.
Re: Why UPS Trucks ( Almost) Never Turn Left CNN News by HardMirror(m): 8:26am On Mar 07, 2017
AceRoyal:
Myth Busters did an episode on this and the myth was proven as "Confirmed".
I love mythbusters I have downloaded all their episodes.

But the strategy makes sense. Left turn takes more time as you have to cross the right lane before joining the left lane. And it takes more risk too.
Re: Why UPS Trucks ( Almost) Never Turn Left CNN News by HardMirror(m): 8:31am On Mar 07, 2017
Ogbeche77:
Only those who drive or have driven in a first world country ll understand what this research or article is all about.. Turning left is a time waster
Ohhh god! Here we go again.

You don't have to drive in a "first world" country to know this. Even driving out on your street should show you how true this research is. Common.
Re: Why UPS Trucks ( Almost) Never Turn Left CNN News by Nobody: 8:42am On Mar 07, 2017
lonelydora:
Today is my birthday
Happy Birthday Dora

1 Like

Re: Why UPS Trucks ( Almost) Never Turn Left CNN News by icon8: 8:54am On Mar 07, 2017
Hahaha... Baba Commander.

BabaCommander:
Don't mind him. It's obvious he's never taken a driving lesson, even an informal one. It's basic driving knowledge. No wonder we have accidents all the time.
Re: Why UPS Trucks ( Almost) Never Turn Left CNN News by bullabong(m): 9:05am On Mar 07, 2017
Re: Why UPS Trucks ( Almost) Never Turn Left CNN News by sweatlana: 9:09am On Mar 07, 2017
Redoil:
This people are bunch of clowns that studies every thng
They study everything to improve everything.
We study almost nothing and improve on almost nothing
Re: Why UPS Trucks ( Almost) Never Turn Left CNN News by sweatlana: 9:11am On Mar 07, 2017
AceRoyal:
Myth Busters did an episode on this and the myth was proven as "Confirmed".
Really! Wow. I love that show
Re: Why UPS Trucks ( Almost) Never Turn Left CNN News by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:28am On Mar 07, 2017
Re: Why UPS Trucks ( Almost) Never Turn Left CNN News by YesNo(m): 9:39am On Mar 07, 2017
Redoil:

lots of THOSE CLOWNS spent their lifetime STUDYING and doing research to create and re-invent and improve things we now use to make life easy.
one of those CLOWNS had to study and try and fail over 1000 times before he finally got it right and the electric bulb was made.
ANOTHER OF THOSE CLOWNS did a study and discovered nicotine pad.
ANOTHER OF THOSE CLOWNS found penicillin
ANOTHER OF THOSE CLOWNS started a car assembly line which revolutionized manufacturing industries over the world.
ANOTHER OF THOSE CLOWNS discovered vulcanized rubber.
ANOTHER OF THOSE CLOWNS made the first remote control.
ANOTHER OF THOSE CLOWNS made the air conditioner. now some other clowns found a way to put it in cars and everywhere.
ANOTHER OF THOSE CLOWNS made the computer.
ANOTHER OF THOSE CLOWNS created the iPad

their restlessness and resilience in study and research has brought this world this far.

but i guess you dont live in this world.

you live in a world where nobody studies anything and you all are progressing very fine without the effort and contributions of THE CLOWNS.

1 Like

Re: Why UPS Trucks ( Almost) Never Turn Left CNN News by litaninja(m): 11:01am On Mar 07, 2017
Ladies and gents, I present to you, the kind of reasoning that keeps Africa backward forever. Pray tell, what innovative ways of thinking arising from such studies has Nigeria ever come up with?

Redoil:
Re: Why UPS Trucks ( Almost) Never Turn Left CNN News by Nobody: 11:15am On Mar 07, 2017
so how do they make a u turn if they dont turn left?
Re: Why UPS Trucks ( Almost) Never Turn Left CNN News by 1kinggy(m): 11:55am On Mar 07, 2017
MightyThor:
What I suspect maybe the reason for the statistic (High accident rate for left hand turn than right hand turn) is due to the fact that in right hand drive countries like NIGERIA and US, one rule that seems to be constantly ignored or over looked is this:

GIVE WAY TO TRAFFIC ON THE LEFT.

Ignorance of this rule can account major cause of road mishaps.

For instance when negotiating a right hand turn to join a major freeway, you need to cross in front of oncoming traffic and join the flow of vehicles moving right, but what happens is that when your about joining the main traffic, the coming cars are supposed to "give way" to allow you enter and join the flow. Remember that in right hand drives you sit on the left as such your right rear view is limited and if your not careful enough you'll end up getting side swiped by an impatient and ignorant driver.

Unlike the right hand turn where you can easily judge the speed and closeness of incoming traffic on your left and you are seated on the left side of the car.

According to the report, each time you're giving way to the traffic on the left, you are idling your car hence burning fuel and time.

My own point of interest is their department that was in charge of the study- process management. Lean technology, continous imprivement and/or 6 sigma things.
Re: Why UPS Trucks ( Almost) Never Turn Left CNN News by Psoul(m): 12:30pm On Mar 07, 2017
MightyThor:
What I suspect maybe the reason for the statistic (High accident rate for left hand turn than right hand turn) is due to the fact that in right hand drive countries like NIGERIA and US, one rule that seems to be constantly ignored or over looked is this:

GIVE WAY TO TRAFFIC ON THE LEFT.

Ignorance of this rule can account major cause of road mishaps.

For instance when negotiating a right hand turn to join a major freeway, you need to cross in front of oncoming traffic and join the flow of vehicles moving right, but what happens is that when your about joining the main traffic, the coming cars are supposed to "give way" to allow you enter and join the flow. Remember that in right hand drives you sit on the left as such your right rear view is limited and if your not careful enough you'll end up getting side swiped by an impatient and ignorant driver.

Unlike the right hand turn where you can easily judge the speed and closeness of incoming traffic on your left and you are seated on the left side of the car.

Pls is Nigeria a Right-Hand-Drive Country? I am thinking otherwise.
Re: Why UPS Trucks ( Almost) Never Turn Left CNN News by Psoul(m): 12:36pm On Mar 07, 2017
ElSherriff:
In your case man, you should avoid right turns and only make left turns! Nigeria drives on the left, so having to make right turns, increases the idling time...well clumsy if you think of it, just driving straight on Rumuola road sef kills fuel...Mad holdup.

Bros, not clumsy as u may think. Ok imagine driving at a very high speed and need to take an abrupt J,C or U-Turn, which side runs smoother with it? Left or right? To me, it is left cos we are in the left hand side driving system. So for them over there, right hand is smoother.
Re: Why UPS Trucks ( Almost) Never Turn Left CNN News by Nobody: 1:02pm On Mar 07, 2017
GAZZUZZ:
On right-handed roads?
Re: Why UPS Trucks ( Almost) Never Turn Left CNN News by Nobody: 1:04pm On Mar 07, 2017
Psoul:

Pls is Nigeria a Right-Hand-Drive Country? I am thinking otherwise.
Nigeria is a left-handed country.
Re: Why UPS Trucks ( Almost) Never Turn Left CNN News by chiraqDemon(m): 1:04pm On Mar 07, 2017
Redoil:
Thats why their quality of life is much higher
In schools abroad u can study almost any course unimaginable
But naija if nor b law engineering medicine or environmental stuff then its not available
Thats why therr are so many graduates with nowhere to work
Only 4 general course classifications and jobs within those fields cant reach more than a million graduates yearly
If there were morr fields of study then students would ve able to create their own jobs sef and unemployment and general quality of life would improve
Re: Why UPS Trucks ( Almost) Never Turn Left CNN News by Thazard(m): 1:51pm On Jan 24, 2020
lightblazingnow:

Studying for the right reasons is good brother

(1) (2) (Reply)

Forex, Border Control Soar Prices Of Fairly Used Cars / My Camry Gear Not Selecting / What Model Of Car Is Best For Nigerian Roads?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.