Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,283 members, 7,836,258 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:53 AM

Does First Class Really Matter? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Does First Class Really Matter? (3611 Views)

Uniport Graduates 41 First Class Out Of 18000 Graduating Students / Interview Of A 21 Year Old Covenant University First Class Female Student / Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does First Class Really Matter? by ow11(m): 5:47pm On Jul 04, 2007
Don't beat yourself up.The labour market is really concerned about the class of your degree to get an interview but its what u know that will determine if u will get the job. Console yourself with the fact that people with 1st class are few and so u might get an interview with them and if u are as good as u think u are then u will probable get a job. meanwhile postgrad degrees supercede 1st degrees for some jobs so it would be worthwhile to consider that route.
Re: Does First Class Really Matter? by kambo(m): 2:52pm On Jul 06, 2007
first class or 3rd class is a picture of a past reality the future is moving on.
if u keep a first class besides a problem it wont solve it. try keeping a first class cerficate or
holder in the midst of miriads of problems facing nigerians it do no good. so see the psychological game for what it is and move on,
if i make a standard and laud it, everybody is gonna wanna identify with it,
that's why u gat people wanting to identify with  - harvard, yale, princeton, etc,
first class etc, it just that fe identification purpose,
10 years down the line , its wrong to still refer to that index cuz time has moved on.
dont sweat it.
heroes  are proved in the battle field of life ,not in doctored academic settings.
that why,
  Gates, Ellison, Google inventors, all others who made a contribution to life.
will be really true indices of success not paper .
Measure urself by ur achievments. thats what really counts .
First class is rife. intelligence is rife.
Re: Does First Class Really Matter? by uchetobi(f): 3:37pm On Jul 09, 2007
Heya. Na wow o! I can feel ur pain. 4.48 is heart breaking. But not to worry. The sky is still not yopur limit
Re: Does First Class Really Matter? by ladykay(f): 11:46pm On Jul 10, 2007
kambo:

first class or 3rd class is a picture of a past reality the future is moving on.
heroes are proved in the battle field of life ,not in doctored academic settings.
that why, Gates, Ellison, Google inventors, all others who made a contribution to life.
will be really true indices of success not paper .
First class is rife. intelligence is rife.

Worth giving a thought

rock2:

I love Nigerians
Instead of trying to get the best,
they'll console themselves with any situation.

That's not true. Gates did not graduate from harvard. he dropped out and he is one of the best in his field.

Christino:

I guess Gani has a 3rd too, but Jim Ovia has a 1st wink

You can't boo Gani or Soyinka today becos they made 3rd Class. Their achievements today just goes to show that success in life is not all about the class of degree you have. But its also ok to make a 1st Class.

Miketomi:

Great post from everyone.
First class is the highest academic acheivement you can make in life but I must say, It is not absolutely equivalent to success in life.
Everyone who believes he has what it takes to make a firstclass degree, please do go for it.
To the author of this post, I sympathize and as well empathize with you to have graduated with such a CGPA (4.48).
Remember, making it in life is not only a function of first class. The Lord will console you the more.
5 Gbosas to you, for the great result. [b][/b]

True talk. Sorry you couldn't make your desired grade but it does not stop you from being the best in all that you lay your hands on. I wish you all the best.
Re: Does First Class Really Matter? by kodewrita(m): 5:58pm On Sep 09, 2007
babasin:

In Nigeria? How many First Class has become Governor, President. It is all bullshit.

It is your skill rather than some figure in your paper.

Nigeria has more uni-graduates than most western european countries yet see where we are!!

The fact that our country rewards mediocrity is not a reason to not strive for 1st class. The knowledge will be invaluable. I have found out that gaining knowledge is not about being able to regurgitate it but gaining more opportunities as a result.
Re: Does First Class Really Matter? by tunene: 6:18pm On Sep 10, 2007
I don't agree with people that say first class does not mean anything in some countries, that is not true, it only means different things to different nations. In most of the advanced nations, first class students work in their research institutes, universities and other institutions, that need real analytical minds. In Nigeria today, how many first class want to work in the academia where the are paid peanuts after all that stress involved in getting a first class.

Another issue is that the idea of first class differ from schools to schools to some extent, some school are more strict than others; and since there i no national regulatory body, there is no standard. I have seen some school exams in fluid mechanics, thermodynamics and strength of materials, which form the basis of engineering disciplines. I tell you they are just too cheap. Yet a good student from this school will get a first class all things being equal, while others will be sweating in some other schools.

for me first class is good, wonderful, but without it, you can still be great, in fact most great men didn't have first class.
One thing i believe again is that most of these great men didn't have first class because they didn't know how important it was, so they try all they can to impress the world and show that they could have made it too. while the first class gurus just allow it go into their heads and never do things that will propel them further.
Re: Does First Class Really Matter? by Bblak(f): 3:38pm On Sep 11, 2007
It matters cos it's an advantage when it comes 2 getting a good job.but i will say dat the 2-1 they gave u is not bad either cos i had a 2-1 and i thank God for his mercies.But i will point it out dat it's not d first class or the 2-1 dat matters but the value u add 2 yourself because what employers want dis days is what u can do as in the contribution u can make when u're employed and not your almighty first klass.so try and add value 2 urself.GDLUCK.
Re: Does First Class Really Matter? by kodewrita(m): 12:02pm On Jun 25, 2010
In addition to whats already on ground, Employers will ultimately value someone who has a FIRSTCLASS PORTFOLIO of completed projects/trainings even if he or she does not have a first class B.Sc
Re: Does First Class Really Matter? by Ijeleigbo(m): 1:39pm On Jun 25, 2010
I have a dream and that dream is to have a first-class B.sc and M.sc from either UK or US and i'm working towards it, striving hard, climbing all mountains, overcoming all obstacles to reach my goal and guess what? I'm hitting my target real good with the grace of God. I will soon cross the finish line and give all glory to God and not myself. My brothers and sisters WHATEVER YOU FIND YOUR HANDS DOING, DO IT WELL. BE A LIGHT TO YOUR GENERATION. "Achievement is sweeter, better and satisfying than wealth"
Re: Does First Class Really Matter? by muyeskin(m): 10:43pm On Jun 25, 2010
Ma People, The VOGUE in NIGERIA now is not WHAT YOU KNOW but WHOM YOU KNOW,

(1) (2) (Reply)

Never Underestimate The Power of Punctuation. / 35 Most Powerful Motivational Quotes For Students / How To Speak English Fluently

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.