Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,130 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:43 AM

A Nairalanders Take On The Decline Of Educational Values In Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Nairalanders Take On The Decline Of Educational Values In Nigeria (842 Views)

The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions / Ecology Of Educational Management / Nigeria’s SIWES On The Decline (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Nairalanders Take On The Decline Of Educational Values In Nigeria by benny4wax(m): 1:45pm On Feb 21, 2017
I have so much to say but i rather make it simple and short.

So much have been said both inter-personally and on various social media platforms about the trending Big brother Naija and the crazy frenzy state it has placed most Nigerians, Africans and the world in general in.

To think that the winner of the BBNaija is expected to go home with 25 million Naira and a car and to win, all that it requires is to live with a set of fellow crazy people do all sort of immoral things and win. Meanwhile, winners of the best mathematics competition in Nigeria which is aimed at producing the best minds in the nearest future walks home with the below prizes;

1st Prize: =N=1,000,000
2nd Prize: =N=750,000
3rd Prize: =N=500,000

(Source: just Google it)

While the teachers that helped in grooming those students get peanut in return;

1st Prize: =N=400,000
2nd Prize: =N=300,000
3rd Prize: =N=200,000

(Source: Just Google it)

And you expect them to be motivated?

My question is why can't this other big establishments help cowbell as co-sponsors to attain a common goal of grooming future Nigerian kids with bright minds.

For once, the world is taking the Nigerian entertainment industry serious. Attached to this article are two videos, one of 13 year old Oluwatunmise Idowu setting a record in cowbell maths competition and the other Bassey sucking cocoice Boobs. can you guess how many youtube views Tunmise got for her record 449 views, while the other got 75,882 youtube views. Funny, Who says immorality doesn't sell faster than originality and ingenuity.

Everyday we talk about how the youths are the future and leaders of tomorrow and yet we forget that our tomorrow starts now. I am not here to criticize people who watch BBNAIJA or the inmates who earn millions just for kissing, drinking, caressing the breast of a fellow participant or having sex on live TV. I am just campaigning for a change of attitude towards our educational system.

Just watch the two videos i uploaded along side this article and ask yourself the question below and you will see why I am bothered:
What lesson is to be learnt by Nigerian Youths on BBNAIJA and Other beauty Pageantries for it to have gotten more sponsors than the morally important programs?

What foundation are we laying down for the coming generations, what message of hope and legacy are we leaving behind. Nigeria is broke yet the sponsors are dolling out millions on highly immoral programs.

Who is fooling who?

I am sapiosexual,
I am against ill norms.

Cc:
lalasticlala
fynestboi
seun
Dyt

1 Like

Re: A Nairalanders Take On The Decline Of Educational Values In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:55pm On Feb 21, 2017
I couldn't agree more

1 Like

Re: A Nairalanders Take On The Decline Of Educational Values In Nigeria by Seun(m): 5:08pm On Feb 21, 2017
It's because more people watch big brother naija. If you can create something wholesome and educative that lots and lots of people want to watch, you'll get a lot of money. Who Wants To Be A Millionaire probably falls into that category.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Nairalanders Take On The Decline Of Educational Values In Nigeria by benny4wax(m): 7:58pm On Feb 21, 2017
Seun:
It's because more people watch big brother naija. If you can create something wholesome and educative that lots and lots of people want to watch, you'll get a lot of money. Who Wants To Be A Millionaire probably falls into that category.
Does it mean followership is more important than what is right and that benefits the society.
Re: A Nairalanders Take On The Decline Of Educational Values In Nigeria by Seun(m): 8:58pm On Feb 21, 2017
benny4wax:
Does it mean followership is more important than what is right and that benefits the society.
All other things being equal, the benefit to society is directly proportional to the number of people watching.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Nairalanders Take On The Decline Of Educational Values In Nigeria by Flexherbal(m): 9:03pm On Feb 21, 2017
Seun:
Gbam !

1 Like

Re: A Nairalanders Take On The Decline Of Educational Values In Nigeria by GMBuhari: 9:08pm On Feb 21, 2017
Seun:

All other things being equal, the benefit to society is directly proportional to the number of people watching.

Interesting grin

1 Like

Re: A Nairalanders Take On The Decline Of Educational Values In Nigeria by benny4wax(m): 9:37pm On Feb 21, 2017
Please fellow Nairalanders, What can be done. The future is no more safe. Let me tell you a story, immediately after my degree examination I got an offer to help my department on contract basis. I was paid to do so.

I was opportuned to invigorate examinations, an unforgettable event played itself out during one of the examinations. I caught a girl with piece if paper, I collected it from her, few minutes later I saw her with another paper and as expected I did justice to it, In the spirit of invigilation I moved to the front see then later to the back only to find this same girl with a phone. I tried to collect the phone but she refused and was raising her voice the lecturer in charge was surprised and and but scared because the girls action was abnormal.

Okay, fast forward to last month I ran into her, Without any remorse she told me and I quote 'Hope you are now the minister of education, its normal others are doing it. If I don't do it I will have to pay five thousand to sort the course because it means I will fail it. I thought I have heard it all then she continued 'This is January and most of our clients made a lot of expenses during the Christmas preparations especially the married ones'.

I was filled with awe and disbelief. That day I came to the conclusion that Nigeria is in big trouble and I just pray we come to that realization before its too late.
Re: A Nairalanders Take On The Decline Of Educational Values In Nigeria by benny4wax(m): 9:45pm On Feb 21, 2017
GMBuhari:

Interesting grin
I thought I was the only one who saw that........With all due respect to egbon Seun, I was gutted by the comment.
Re: A Nairalanders Take On The Decline Of Educational Values In Nigeria by Standing5(m): 9:57pm On Feb 21, 2017
Seun:

I disagree totally. We need more mathematicians but don't take interest in them because we have easy money to help us buy all manner of things mathematics and mathematicians can offer or aid.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalanders Take On The Decline Of Educational Values In Nigeria by Mznaett: 12:13am On Feb 22, 2017
In this part of the world we are living in,it is pertinent to note that all the key posts in the educational sector are held by some "BIG" daddies and mummies that careless about our future hence; our present condition..
And from what I've seen and read so far concerning this,permit me to say "there's little or no hope for our tomorrow"..because those in power will continue to celebrate mediocrity

1 Like

Re: A Nairalanders Take On The Decline Of Educational Values In Nigeria by benny4wax(m): 7:36am On Feb 22, 2017
Mznaett:
In this part of the world we are living in,it is pertinent to note that all the key posts in the educational sector are held by some "BIG" daddies and mummies that careless about our future hence; our present condition..
And from what I've seen and read so far concerning this,permit me to say "there's little or no hope for our tomorrow"..because those in power will continue to celebrate mediocrity
you are absolutely correct. It's funny, even looking at it from a nairaland point of view, How many people are following this particular thread? Haven't you noticed how abandoned the educational section of this forum is.

If it was Tonto Dike, Snake, BBNaija or one celebrity walking pantless this thread would have been flooded by now. It's a pity.
Re: A Nairalanders Take On The Decline Of Educational Values In Nigeria by Mznaett: 9:18am On Feb 22, 2017
benny4wax:
you are absolutely correct. It's funny, even looking at it from a nairaland point of view, How many people are following this particular thread? Haven't you noticed how abandoned the educational section of this forum is.

If it was Tonto Dike, Snake, BBNaija or one celebrity walking pantless this thread would have been flooded by now. It's a pity.

True talk bro...
And most of us tends to forget that the provision of education is the first step of building a nation of national consciousness..
From your previous post,I'd say most of us here are also part of those destroying the system..
We don't value it!
We don't care about it!

1 Like

Re: A Nairalanders Take On The Decline Of Educational Values In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:10pm On Mar 13, 2017
In Darwin's theory of evolution, it talked about the natural order of selection where the fittest survives to the next stage.

I think the same selection happens in todays trend. Those who will be leaders will naturally gravitate to such that would make them leaders while those who wont, will take on different ideals and are susceptible to the whims and caprices of the world.

We can't all be leaders, so life would, with the interaction of trends in the society choose our leaders for us.

(1) (Reply)

Final Year Project Topic Ideas In Statistics / Why Do Teachers Complain About Their Pay So Much? / Meet Captain Joan Obasi, The Youngest Female Pilot In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.