Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,318 members, 7,808,071 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:40 AM

The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions (9587 Views)

The Reality Of Educational System In Nigeria. Don't Laugh Alone!! / Authentication And Legalization Of Educational Documents / Imagine What These Shs Female Students Are Doing In The Absence Of Their Teacher (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by suregalluv(f): 9:49am On Jul 06, 2019
Most times we put on our TVs or browse the internet, we often come across auditioning for one reality show or the other; ranging from nationwide shows or other competitions that are campus-based not to talk of the incessant beauty pageantry competitions that are being held, one cannot underestimate the fact that the organisers and sponsors of these events have a lot to give out but then we see that there are very few competitions that are geared towards testing the intellectual capacity of people.

Although, organisers have the freedom to promote what they want to and some people do not see the good in organising one that tests intellect, there is need to encourage those who are good in that aspect. Not everyone can be a beauty queen or a good vocalist or dancer (as these three are the major in Nigeria).

I remember when I was growing up, when the Zain African Challenge was still aired, likewise the MTN Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, I was always looking forward to seeing each episode and even aspiring to be a contestant on those shows but we cannot find such anymore. I so much commend Cowbell Nigeria for the yearly Cowbellpedia and Interswitch for the science-based competition they just concluded.

There is need for sponsors and organisers of these kind of events; events that educate and encourage people, even for students of tertiary institutions and other individuals likewise.

54 Likes 10 Shares

Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by tundeontop: 1:46pm On Jul 06, 2019
R
Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by Solidkay(m): 1:46pm On Jul 06, 2019
Dear OP, thank you for your observation,

I'll like to point out to the fact that Nigeria as a nation is losing her grip on a whole lots of things if not all.

I'll also have to blame a government on this, both past and present,

Is it not in this same Nigeria that it has become a popular saying that a Yahoo boy has a brighter and better future than a 1st class graduate

And our education bodies proved them right by awarding a #100 cash prize award for a first class graduate

I stand to be corrected but everyone going into any reality show business has the sole objective of raking in millions,
meanwhile the education sector doesn't look promising at all.

47 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by Ogaga87(m): 1:46pm On Jul 06, 2019
First time I'm taking the third position.. I go pop champagne small.. Third is not bad but first is better...

Now back to the topic..

Things like this go into oblivion when you have leaders like Goodluck who signed an agreement his government never honoured and now you have a president who couldn't provide his WAEC certificate.. And also when majority of your leaders are being cleared to take on elective positions with fake WAEC certificates.. How can they encourage the system..

Too bad

6 Likes

Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by jamp: 1:47pm On Jul 06, 2019
I remember TAKE A CHANCE aired on NTA channel 6 Aba those days. Even SPEAK OUT.

Now nobody want to put money in Education rather people invest heavily in immorality.

The question is how did china lift over 500m people out of poverty..........definitely not through realty shows like BBNaija

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by Odunharry(m): 1:47pm On Jul 06, 2019
Lalasticlala.

I miss Zain African Challenge and Work it out too.

Kudos to xfire for the annual quiz competition bn held yearly.

Dejt4u and Richiez, kudos to you guys too.

5 Likes

Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by Elvis2kay: 1:47pm On Jul 06, 2019
grin angry cheesy
Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by Jac007(m): 1:47pm On Jul 06, 2019
Okay

4 Likes

Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by sureteeboy(m): 1:48pm On Jul 06, 2019
That's one of the primary reasons this country will remain undeveloped. In a country where youths and affluent citizens prioritize and sponsor frivolities like BBnaija over science competitions, how would creativity be harnessed in students for future development? And let no one quote me on how that's done in civilized countries these days as well. Those countries can afford to focus on entertainment now because some of their compatriots (either Living or dead) have laid down a strong foundation for them to fall back on. Where are our Einsteins in Nigeria? Where are our Max Plank and Isaac Newton? Where are our Tesla and Edison?
If someone critically analyze the kind of precarious situation we've found ourselves in this nation and thereafter considers the indifferent attitude of youths. It wouldn't take a genius to figure out that this country is heading for doom and gloom

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by martineverest(m): 1:48pm On Jul 06, 2019
that's because Nigeria and Nigerians aren't serious about education

modern nigerian youth are most empty-headed..they spend more time on social media and their appearance than getting knowledge

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by Salatavor: 1:48pm On Jul 06, 2019
Jdj
Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by holuwajobar(m): 1:51pm On Jul 06, 2019
Small proportion of Nigerians will be interested in such. The government isn't showing any seriousness to education. Gone are the days when government sponsor brilliant students to abroad, but now, even those who sponsor students to abroad will not keep up to their promises, hence, leaving them stranded in foreign land.

Gone are the days of MILO mathematics quiz, Who want to be a millionaire, zain african challenge and so on.

Can we get those days back?

Sighs. Oh my Country

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by dulux07(m): 1:51pm On Jul 06, 2019
This is one of the major reason the country is moving backwards.
Sadly, they give huge amount of money to the winners of this reprobated shows, and give peanuts to winners of the few erudite shows that still exist

5 Likes

Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by MsFaith: 1:52pm On Jul 06, 2019
You can't catch me watching BBNaija, what happened to Who wants to be a Millionaire? Can we start organising intelligent programs too?

12 Likes

Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by TheBeat: 1:53pm On Jul 06, 2019
sad
Our government is only interested in RUGA.
You can't give what you don't have.
RUGA kill and RUGA him there. He intends to build RUGA to export terrorism to other parts of the country. Jonathan built 9 federal universities and some Almajiri schools. What has this fool in Aso villa done in education?

2 Likes

Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by ayaside(m): 1:53pm On Jul 06, 2019
You said it all. The next thing we know is to blame everyone. The prayer warriors keep on believing in some kind of magic. With our 10MB we wanna feel like we know ow it all when in the real sense we don't. I think the youths are "Stupidly Knowledgeable" but lack wisdom.

6 Likes

Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by HarryDuce(m): 1:53pm On Jul 06, 2019
Nobody really cares about educational programs to be honest.

Even if they want to, the anti intellectualism of our populace places itself as a huge barrier.

Even the people who moan about the dearth of such programs don't actively support anyone that eventually shows up.

We know this thread is here because of BBnaija anyway.

We're together in this mess.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by traihit: 1:56pm On Jul 06, 2019
Everything currently happening in Nigeria now reflects the kind of people living in Nigeria. From politics, to religion, to marriage, business, education and so on. All our commercial institutions know that most people don't get moved by these educational stuffs compared to bbnaija and so on. Therefore, before one company will sponsor WWTBAM, 10 would have sponsored bbnaija. The best students get 10k (lucky ones) while bbnaija winner get SUV, millions and endorsement. It's all about our motivation as a people.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by Humblebloke(m): 1:56pm On Jul 06, 2019
Odunharry:
Lalasticlala.
I miss Zain African Challenge and Work it out too.

Kudos to xfire for the annual quiz competition bn held yearly.
Dejt4u and Richiez, kudos to you guys too.

actually... work it out is still been aired...

saw my kid bro watching it some few months back
Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by tstx(m): 1:56pm On Jul 06, 2019
It's the society bro... You ask yourself this... How often do Nairaland push intellectual content to the front page?

I build websites and I am based in Abuja, see my signature (09011639568) no advance payment

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by StrongandMighty: 1:57pm On Jul 06, 2019
The situation weak my intestine... Only God can help this country cry

2 Likes

Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by Humblebloke(m): 1:58pm On Jul 06, 2019
sureteeboy:
That's one of the primary reasons this country will remain undeveloped. In a country where youths and affluent citizens prioritize and sponsor frivolities like BBnaija over science competitions, how would creativity be harnessed in students for future development? And let no one quote me on how that's done in civilized countries these days as well. Those countries can afford to focus on entertainment now because some of their compatriots (either Living or dead) have laid down a strong foundation for them to fall back on. Where are our Einsteins in Nigeria? Where are our Max Plank and Isaac Newton? Where are our Tesla and Edison?
If someone critically analyze the kind of precarious situation we've found ourselves in this nation and thereafter considers the indifferent attitude of youths. It wouldn't take a genius to figure out that this country is heading for doom and gloom

unfortunately.... you are right

1 Like

Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by HumanHairLovers(f): 1:59pm On Jul 06, 2019
Op I bet you just add bbnaija somewhere in the topic and see what happens to this thread. cheesy

Meanwhile for quality hair and wigs check my signature
Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by femi4: 2:00pm On Jul 06, 2019
The days of Bournvita brain match, Tan mọ, Debators, Arinyanjinyan, are gone

4 Likes

Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by KidsNEXTdoor: 2:00pm On Jul 06, 2019
Only fools watch Bbnaija show...

We need good educational shows on TV

The poverty capital of the world has prioritised mediocrity

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by GoodGodmykeeper(m): 2:00pm On Jul 06, 2019
Hmm
Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by AZeD1(m): 2:02pm On Jul 06, 2019
The same DSTV that shows big brother also has discovery Channel, animal planet's and the likes...

People see what they are looking for.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by Odunharry(m): 2:03pm On Jul 06, 2019
Humblebloke:

actually... work it out is still been aired...

saw my kid bro watching it some few months back
Wow. Didn't know this. Saw this some months ago not sure if it's this year or last year.

1 Like

Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jul 06, 2019
angry
Thought I’m the only one that noticed it. Gone are the days where educational competitions are aired and promoted on TVs.
I remember how we battled to make it to the National JETS (Junior Engineers Technicians and Scientists) competition to represent our states.

Talk about Peak Essay, the International Mathematics Olympiad etc. now what we have are BBN, dance promotions, who has the biggest boobs and ass, programs where we promote glorified prostitutes.

Reason a lot can no longer pass exams without runz and you wonder why Jamb reduced cut off mark to 160 or why most can’t differentiate between there and their, where, we’re and were, I am or I’m and am.

It’s sad!

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by Jesuspikin8: 2:06pm On Jul 06, 2019
Who here misses Zain Africa Challenge?

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nnamdi Ikemefuna Says Olakunle Churchill Inspired Him To Offer Scholarships / Kano University Alumni Slam ASUU Over Strike / Please What Does This Nabteb Grade Means

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.