Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,778 members, 7,862,599 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 08:17 PM

Lagos Tells Schools To Conduct Thursdays Assembly In Yoruba - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Lagos Tells Schools To Conduct Thursdays Assembly In Yoruba (668 Views)

Names Of Traditional Rulers In Yoruba Land / Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning / Ooni Visits Lagos Assembly, Watches Proceedings In Yoruba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Tells Schools To Conduct Thursdays Assembly In Yoruba by zpakln(f): 10:15am On Feb 22, 2017
In order to prevent Nigerian culture from been eroded, Lagos State Government yesterday directed schools in Education District 1 to conduct their Thursday Assembly sessions in Yoruba language, a mother language for the state, just as it launched a teacher’s guide for the exercise.

Meantime, United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, UNESCO, and Lagos State Government also asked teachers and parents to desist from discouraging students who speak their local languages within school premises.

UNESCO Director-General, Irina Bokova, and Tutor-General and Permanent Secretary, Education District 1, Dr. Oluyinka Ayandele, made the appeal at this year’s International Mother Language Day, IMLD, themed “Towards Sustainable Future through Multilingual Education,” held at Government Senior College, Agege Local Government.

Ayandele, after unveiling the handbook, explained that the Thursday model was tailored after the similar development at the State House of Assembly, where the lawmakers deliberate in Yoruba language on Thursdays. She noted that through the book and the usage of Yoruba on the assembly ground weekly, the culture would be preserved, saying “Our culture is so rich and we all must embrace it.”

The TG/PS stressed that it was a thing of joy for the state to have a rich culture and her tenure would not relent in promoting and ensuring that students embrace it.

“We will no longer ban or scold any students who speak their mother tongue in school premises which will encourage and boost their learning. Research has shown that children can learn over seven languages.

So why are we short-changing the children by stopping them since it is not bad for them to speak their mother language,” she added.

Source: http://www.ngcube.com/lagos-tells-schools-to-conduct-thursdays-assembly-in-yoruba/
Re: Lagos Tells Schools To Conduct Thursdays Assembly In Yoruba by donolatunji(m): 10:23am On Feb 22, 2017
I Appriciate That Inovation Because Its Only This Part Of Nigeria That We Adore Ojuaye.
Re: Lagos Tells Schools To Conduct Thursdays Assembly In Yoruba by Origin(f): 10:55am On Feb 22, 2017
Very good and they should learn Yoruba culture too. How to greet, transact even coded messages( gbeborun 101).
Ayan ogbifo and proverbs etc.

Never lose yourself in your search for education.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Tells Schools To Conduct Thursdays Assembly In Yoruba by okasebe(m): 12:20pm On Feb 22, 2017
This is a Good development

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Tells Schools To Conduct Thursdays Assembly In Yoruba by seunny4lif(m): 3:06pm On Feb 23, 2017
cool cool cool
Long overdue but it's never too late cool cool

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

I Did Not Snub Ooni Of Ife-oba Akiolu (Vanguard News) / Why I Share My Crown With My Wife – Oba Akanbi / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.