Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,324 members, 7,954,312 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 04:26 PM

Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin (6319 Views)

Wole Soyinka Battled With Prostate Cancer / Wole Soyinka With Founding Members Of Pyrate In 1952 (Throwback Photo) / Why Young Writers Need Their Own Association – Wole Adedoyin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by synw: 4:07pm On Feb 23, 2017
Why we celebrate D.O Fagunwa annually —Wole Adedoyin

Wole Adedoyin is the president of the Society of Young Nigerian Writers (SYNW), which organises the annual Fagunwa Day Celebration. In this interview with Adewale Oshodi, the literary enthusiast speaks on the forthcoming edition of the celebration of the literary exploits of the late Yoruba indigenous writer, D. O. Fagunwa, as well as the need for Yoruba parents to pass the language to the coming generation. Excerpts:

This year’s edition of the Fagunwa Day will be coming up next month, how prepared are you now for the event?
We are fully prepared for the event, which will be coming up on March 25, 2017, at the school premises of Immanuel College, Ibadan. We have notified participating schools and individuals. The event promises to showcase arts exhibition, knowledge of Yoruba culture among our youths, readings from the five books of D.O. Fagunwa, paper presentations, as well as presentation of awards to outstanding schools and individuals that have contributed greatly to the growth and development of Yoruba Language and literature.

The forthcoming event will be the sixth edition; have you been able to achieve your objectives of coming up with the Fagunwa Day in the last five years?
I want to say that since we started the Fagunwa Day celebration, we have published not less than 40 students who write in the Yoruba Language through our electronic publishing platform. Apart from that, we have been able to create a platform where students read the five works of the late Yoruba literary genius. This platform eventually gave birth to the Fagunwa Literary Society, an initiative commited to reading and promoting the five works of Fagunwa.
Also we have featured great Yoruba literary personalities like Professor Akinwumi Isola, Professor Bayo Adebowale, Professor Dotun Ogundeji, Chief Tubosun Oladapo, as well as the late poet, Chief Supo Kosemani, among others.. We have developed a correspondence course aimed at testing the abilities and knowledge of the students that have read at least a work of the author.

Now, how will you access the promotion of the Yoruba language through the Fagunwa Day event?
Presently, our governments are paying lips service when it comes to the issue of promoting our local languages. Today, you will hear them say they would do this, but implementing the promise is always a big problem. I want to urge the governors of the South West states to give more attention to the promotion of the Yoruba Language. It is so unfortunate that some schools, particularly the private ones, no longer take Yoruba subject serious. It is high time something was done about this. We need to pass on our culture to the coming generation.
In fact, with what we are doing, we ought to have been given the necessary support from all quarters, but this is not the case. Both the government and corporate organisations are not forthcoming in supporting us. That, therefore, tells you how much they value our tradition. It is only the goodwill of publishing and media firms that we are enjoying.

Apart from the event, in what other ways have you been promoting Fagunwa’s works?
We have really achieved a lot in this area. Apart from the correspondence course, we are also working on developing a database of Yoruba writers across the Yoruba speaking states. Presently we are developing graphical charts and posters of some eminent Yoruba writers. For example, many only hear the names of great Yoruba writers like J.F. Odunjo, Olabimtan Afolabi, Akinwumi Isola, Adebayo Faleti, but can’t pin a face to the names, so we are coming up with the posters soon, which will be distributed across the South Western states of the country. However, there is little we can do, particularly with little support. It is, therefore, important for the governors of the South West states to also wake up from their slumber and support the revival of the Yoruba Language. Our children are no longer speaking the language. Parents should also know that when their children cannot speak their mother tongue, then they have lost their culture and history; nothing stops a child from learning English and Yoruba languages. In fact, linguists have said that a child can learn up to five languages at a time, so why are we relegating Yoruba to the background? Through the Fagunwa Day celebration, we are working towards making Yoruba the envy of other languages.

http://tribuneonlineng.com/celebrate-d-o-fagunwa-annually-wole-adedoyin/

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by Factfinder1(m): 7:00am On Feb 24, 2017
Dont celebrate him annually for nothing make sure his old parents are atleast living an average life.....

Nothing special about commenting first... See my signature

1 Like

Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by siraj1402(m): 7:00am On Feb 24, 2017
Reward for hard working.

1 Like

Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by Tytylion(m): 7:01am On Feb 24, 2017
But I heard the man disappeared from a mountain top ,aw true is that set

Just wondering
Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by Iamdmentor1(m): 7:02am On Feb 24, 2017
This thread hit FP twice.
Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by momodub: 7:02am On Feb 24, 2017
Ok
Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by Samanza89: 7:02am On Feb 24, 2017
With due respect to the Yoruba's, I did my service year in one of the south west state. What baffles me is that, they even use their dialect to teach English language in classes and they expect better results from the students, which is totally uncalled for. The rate of failure was alarming just because students couldn't express themselves when writing exams.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by zoneboy: 7:05am On Feb 24, 2017
Ogboju ode ninu Igbo irunmole.

3 Likes

Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by Nobody: 7:06am On Feb 24, 2017
a
Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by Smooyis(m): 7:06am On Feb 24, 2017
D. O. Fagunwa was a great writer, a literary hero and a genius. All of his books were of great depth. He deserves to be immortalized. May his soul rest in perfect peace.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by Nobody: 7:06am On Feb 24, 2017
It is D. O not D. O Fagunwa.
Abi?
Moderator, do the needful

Drabeey was HERE
Fagunwa is worth celebrating. I have all his books and at least I've read each 3times.
He was a literary Genius. Such a Pity the likes of Tunde Kelani haven't made movies about his works yet.

13 Likes

Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by Histrings08(m): 7:06am On Feb 24, 2017
I read d man's book, he's legendary
Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by jendoslim(m): 7:07am On Feb 24, 2017
Where can I download his books??

1 Like

Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by Nobody: 7:07am On Feb 24, 2017
grin grin grin grin
Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by Nobody: 7:07am On Feb 24, 2017
Drabeey:
It is G. O not D. O Fagunwa.

Moderator, do the needful

Drabeey was HERE

Wrong Mr Drabeey. DO Fagunwa
Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by moscobabs(m): 7:09am On Feb 24, 2017
I will never forget your books

Ogboju ode ninu Igbo irunmole and Igbo Elegbeje

You were a better writer than Chinua Achiebe and even Wole shoyinka.

Op don't tell me the picture u attached is D.O Fagunwa o.

cos I can see Chelsea logo somewhere and I'm very sure Fagunwa didn't know if a football club exist

10 Likes

Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by Nobody: 7:09am On Feb 24, 2017
Tytylion:
But I heard the man disappeared from a mountain top ,aw true is that set

Just wondering
Nope. He slipped and fell into the river. Some said he committed suicide.
Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by Nobody: 7:13am On Feb 24, 2017
jendoslim:
Where can I download his books??
I don't know but if you do download them, could you please send them to me. So I can send the soft copies to my friends because I don't like borrowing them my books (they never return them or return them with oil stains)
I went to a Bookstore opposite UI to get the hard copies in 2012. Got them for 700 naira each also got 3 english translations out of the 5books. The translations were a bit expensive and was a waste of money because they were just bland. Heavy English (you know how Wole Soyinka writes now) Not as interesting as the Yoruba versions.

2 Likes

Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by engreo(m): 7:13am On Feb 24, 2017
Oodua a gbewa oooo

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by Nobody: 7:13am On Feb 24, 2017
moscobabs:
I will never forget your books

Ogboju ode ninu Igbo irunmole and Igbo Elegbeje
Irinkerindo Ninu Igbo Elegbeje.

6 Likes

Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by obidevine(m): 7:14am On Feb 24, 2017
Same topic made FP twice in a row

Cc- lalasticlala, Mynd44, obinoscopy, Seun
Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by benuejosh: 7:17am On Feb 24, 2017
Samanza89:
With due respect to the Yoruba's, I did my service year in one of the south west state. What baffles me is that, they even use their dialect to teach English language in classes and they expect better results from the students, which is totally uncalled for. The rate of failure was alarming just because students couldn't express themselves when writing exams.
I guess almost all subjects. Am currently in Ekiti state and i can attest to that.
Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by eyinjuege: 7:18am On Feb 24, 2017
zoneboy:
Ogboju ode ninu Igbo irunmole.

I read that book in primary school, maybe class 4 or 5. I just saw it at home one day, and started reading it because of the pictures in it.
It was a scary book, but I couldn't put it down. It took me days to finish it because I wasn't so good reading the language but I just couldn't drop the book.
Very interesting book.

3 Likes

Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by Samanza89: 7:23am On Feb 24, 2017
benuejosh:

I guess almost all subjects. Am currently in Ekiti state and i can attest to that.

That's even where I served... Ekiti State to be precise...
Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by moscobabs(m): 7:35am On Feb 24, 2017
Amusaopeyemi:

I don't know but if you do download them, could you please send them to me. So I can send the soft copies to my friends because I don't like borrowing them my books (they never return them or return them with oil stains)
I went to a Bookstore opposite UI to get the hard copies in 2012. Got them for 700 naira each also got 3 english translations out of the 5books. The translations were a bit expensive and was a waste of money because they were just bland. Heavy English (you know how Wole Soyinka writes now) Not as interesting as the Yoruba versions.
I only know 2 of his books can u give me the tittle of all and where to get it.thanks
Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by Nobody: 7:43am On Feb 24, 2017
moscobabs:

I only know 2 of his books can u give me the tittle of all and where to get it.thanks
Ogboju Ode Ninu Igbo Irumale
Igbo Olodumare
Irinkerindo Ninu Igbo Elegbeje
Adiitu Olodumare
Ireke Onibudo

8 Likes

Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by Nobody: 7:45am On Feb 24, 2017
eyinjuege:

I read that book in primary school, maybe class 4 or 5. I just saw it at home one day, and started reading it because of the pictures in it.
It was a scary book, but I couldn't put it down. It took me days to finish it because I wasn't so good reading the language but I just couldn't drop the book.
Very interesting book.
I read my mom's copy in JSS 3. All his books are scary but it is so hard to put down. You'll keep reading and reading despite.

2 Likes

Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by Opistorincos(m): 7:45am On Feb 24, 2017
The man is a legend, the wife gave us some cash back in 2013 when we visited

1 Like

Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by Nobody: 7:47am On Feb 24, 2017
What is their concern with his old parents?
Factfinder1:
Dont celebrate him annually for nothing make sure his old parents are atleast living an average life.....

Nothing special about commenting first... See my signature
Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by Opistorincos(m): 7:50am On Feb 24, 2017
daretodiffer:
What is their concern with his old parents?

To answer the young man's question, i think the old parents are being taken care of(if they're not already dead)
Re: Why We Celebrate D.O Fagunwa Annually —wole Adedoyin by vintino(m): 7:57am On Feb 24, 2017
I guess i have read 4 out of his 5 books, those are my favourite novels then! i got A1 in Yoruba Language in my SSCE, dnt ask me about other subject!
1. Ogboju Ode Ninu Igbo Irumole
2. Igbo Olodumare
3. Irinajo Irinkerindo Lo Si Oke Langbodo
4. Aditu...

I dont know the 5th book and will be glad if anyone can help out, i will be happy to read those great books over and over again...

i head the man disapear by a riverbank in niger state!

(1) (2) (Reply)

SECRET BETRAYAL - A Romantic Story / How To Make Steady Income Writing And Publishing Your Book On Amazon Kindle / My Affair With The Neighbour (A Short Romantic Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.