Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,073 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:13 AM

Pictures Of Great African Kings - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Pictures Of Great African Kings (6136 Views)

Yoruba And Bini Kings Of Great Precolonial Africa. / African Kings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pictures Of Great African Kings by davidif: 8:29pm On Dec 10, 2009
Re: Pictures Of Great African Kings by madlady(f): 10:54pm On Dec 10, 2009
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

@Poster, The ONI of IFE, what spectacular carvings.
Re: Pictures Of Great African Kings by sjeezy8: 11:22pm On Dec 10, 2009
Oni is a disappointment to all yorubas.
I dont believe in any traditional monarchs.
Re: Pictures Of Great African Kings by madlady(f): 11:44pm On Dec 10, 2009
sjeezy8:

Oni is a disappointment to all yorubas.
I dont believe in any traditional monarchs.

Do you mind me asking, why, is he a bad person. Sadly I know nothing about him.
Re: Pictures Of Great African Kings by Nobody: 1:05am On Dec 11, 2009
very interesting!!

But two of the Cameroounian obas are wearing clothes commonly associated with southwest Nigeria.

One (the Fon of Bandjun) is in traditional (not modern) agbada while the other (king of Bana) is in something that looks like the Yoruba hunter's gear.

The man in the first photo does look like Glele.

The picture labelled Sultan of Sokoto is the previous, not the current one.
Re: Pictures Of Great African Kings by Nobody: 1:17am On Dec 11, 2009
the stories attached to most of these people e get as e be sha.

lord have mercy.
Re: Pictures Of Great African Kings by sjeezy8: 2:08am On Dec 11, 2009
madlady:

Do you mind me asking, why, is he a bad person. Sadly I know nothing about him.

No i dont think he's a bad person, but currently in Nigeria what is his job? I thought it was to oversee and give spiritual advise to all yoruba people and promote peace. Thats not what I see in Ekiti Osun or Oyo Ogun.

so hes just there
Re: Pictures Of Great African Kings by madlady(f): 8:08am On Dec 11, 2009
sjeezy8:

No i dont think he's a bad person, but currently in Nigeria what is his job? I thought it was to oversee and give spiritual advise to all yoruba people and promote peace. Thats not what I see in Ekiti Osun or Oyo Ogun.

so hes just there

Oh I see, just a figure-head smiley
Re: Pictures Of Great African Kings by madlady(f): 8:12am On Dec 11, 2009
tpia.:

the stories attached to most of these people e get as e be sha.

lord have mercy.

Sounds fascinating, would love to know more. grin grin
Re: Pictures Of Great African Kings by spikedcylinder: 9:31am On Dec 11, 2009
I'm guessing all these women are Joseph Langafin's wives. Little girl included? shocked shocked shocked

Re: Pictures Of Great African Kings by spikedcylinder: 10:39am On Dec 11, 2009
Gone through everything, great read!

This is very interesting:

NYIMI KOK MABIINTSH III
King of Kuba
D.R. Congo

The Nyimi Mabiintsh III is fifty years old. He acquired the throne at the age of twenty. As a descendant of god the creator, the king is attributed with supernatural powers.

Due to his top position he is restricted by several contraints: he does not have the right to sit on the ground, and he cannot cross a cultivated field. Apart from his cook, no one has seen him eat. Moreover he never travels without him, and his personal cooking ustensils.

It took me three weeks to photograph the Nyimi (king) of the Kuba in his royal apparel, the “bwantshy”. The outfit made out of material stitched with beads and “cauris” (small shells used as money in Africa), weighs 160 lb. It takes more than two hours to dress the King, and two days of spiritual preparation to be sufficiently purified in order to wear the outfit.

The weight and the heat of the bwantshy is such, that it is impossible to wear it more than one hour. The preceeding King had only worn it three time during his entire life.

Wonder why his eating habits are odd. Does he eat people?
Re: Pictures Of Great African Kings by spikedcylinder: 10:43am On Dec 11, 2009
Re: Pictures Of Great African Kings by Nobody: 3:37pm On Dec 11, 2009
i think some African kings cant be seen eating. Its a taboo or so I heard.

especially the Yoruba ones
Re: Pictures Of Great African Kings by Nobody: 3:43pm On Dec 11, 2009
the site didnt include the swazi king and his 10,000 wives?
Re: Pictures Of Great African Kings by Nobody: 3:45pm On Dec 11, 2009
spikedcylinder:

I'm guessing all these women are Joseph Langafin's wives. Little girl included? shocked shocked shocked

i do hope the little girl is his daughter undecided
Re: Pictures Of Great African Kings by spikedcylinder: 6:49pm On Dec 11, 2009
I seriously hope so too but it doesn't make sense that she's in that picture.
Re: Pictures Of Great African Kings by madlady(f): 7:09pm On Dec 11, 2009
spikedcylinder:

I seriously hope so too but it doesn't make sense that she's in that picture.

Oh dear you could be right. I thought the woman directly behind her was her mother, they look alike, but why would she be the only one to have her child with her.
Re: Pictures Of Great African Kings by spikedcylinder: 7:53pm On Dec 11, 2009
Yea, she does look like the woman. Maybe its just a coincidence sha.
Re: Pictures Of Great African Kings by Nobody: 11:25pm On Dec 11, 2009
she could be the first daughter if the man married late

and on closer examination of the picture, the women are in the same outfit (same design) while the girl's is different. If she were a wife, God forbid, then she'd be wearing the same ankara as the others.

Looking at body posture, the girl's foot is behind Joseph's leg, almost touching it. I doubt a wife would be allowed that kind of liberty for an "official" photo. Given the fact that this seems to be an oba.

the images on his umbrella are interesting
Re: Pictures Of Great African Kings by Nobody: 11:27pm On Dec 11, 2009
the Obi of Nnewi- isnt that symbol on his robe similar to the Arewa one?

the problem with nigeria is the more you look the less you see
Re: Pictures Of Great African Kings by Epi: 1:57am On Dec 12, 2009
I find this thread interesting because the other day I was reading (see article below) about Adebayo Ogunmeno, a lawyer in Kansas City. Is it possible for him to return and be king? Pardon my ignorance for asking these questions: what makes a person a king in Nigeria? Are they as important as the Queen of England?

http://www.kansascity.com/115/story/1607678.html
Re: Pictures Of Great African Kings by madlady(f): 7:47am On Dec 12, 2009
tpia.:

she could be the first daughter if the man married late

and on closer examination of the picture, the women are in the same outfit (same design) while the girl's is different. If she were a wife, God forbid, then she'd be wearing the same ankara as the others.

Looking at body posture, the girl's foot is behind Joseph's leg, almost touching it. I doubt a wife would be allowed that kind of liberty for an "official" photo. Given the fact that this seems to be an oba.

Woh, that's so clear now that you have mentioned it. I can see now why most people make bad witnesses in court,all that just passed me by embarassed

@tpia, if you have the time could you pull out some more facts on the "Kings" it's really enlightnig. Actually it's a GREAT read.
Re: Pictures Of Great African Kings by davidif: 9:04pm On Dec 12, 2009
spikedcylinder:

http://www.the-7-wonders.com/pictures/7-of-africas-kings.html

These comments are hilarious! grin grin grin

Are you stupid? or can't you read at all? Can't you read the extremely racist things on the comments? What is it that you see that is funny.
Re: Pictures Of Great African Kings by mamagee3(f): 10:52pm On Dec 12, 2009
Benin has the worst sight of kings! angry
Re: Pictures Of Great African Kings by spikedcylinder: 10:01am On Dec 14, 2009
davidif:

Are you silly? or can't you read at all? Can't you read the extremely racist things on the comments? What is it that you see that is funny.

The comments are funny to me, why do you have your panties in a bunch over my sense of humour - regardless? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Pictures Of Great African Kings by Nobody: 4:01pm On Dec 14, 2009
madlady:

@tpia, if you have the time could you pull out some more facts on the "Kings" it's really enlightnig. Actually it's a GREAT read.

The Fon (King) is the brother of courageous and powerful animals. At night, he has the power to transform himself into a panther, where he haunts the forest, runs through the savana and drinks from torrents. When a panther is killed by a hunter, the Fon from Bamileke region are afraid. Will one of them not perish from the death of his double.

The King of Akropong holds for the last sixteen years the “sacred seat” of the Akuapem-Asona, one of the seven major Akan clans. To his right, his “spokesman” carries the royal emblem, the elephant, a remembrance that his kingdom was founded by force.

According to “news watch”, a large daily Nigerian newspaper, the power of the Sultan of Sokoto is such, that most of the Nigerians questioned would rather be Sultan than President of Nigeria

those were scary times.
Re: Pictures Of Great African Kings by netotse(m): 4:21pm On Dec 14, 2009
just posting here so i can find this topic tomo. . .
Re: Pictures Of Great African Kings by tamme: 2:02am On Dec 16, 2009
I like the zulu king
Re: Pictures Of Great African Kings by davidif: 7:04pm On Dec 17, 2009
spikedcylinder:

The comments are funny to me, why do you have your panties in a bunch over my sense of humour - regardless? undecided undecided undecided

ARE YOU WHITE OR MIXED OR SOMETHING?? BECAUSE THAT WOULD PROPERLY EXPLAIN WHY YOU FIND IT FUNNY.
Re: Pictures Of Great African Kings by marabout(m): 3:26pm On Aug 10, 2010
Hi All,

Don't be fooled by the person who compiled the pictures. Typical ignorant westerner who publishes things believing he knows better. Instead of asking those who know better. While Olowo of Owo and Ooni of Ife are correct pictures, those pictured as " Kings in Benin Nigeria are Dukes or equivalent NOT KINGS. There is Only one King in Benin not like the larger Yorubaland where many kings/obas exist.
How can i be sure that many of the other non-nigerian kings are not only just duke or earl/count, viscount, baron equivalent?
NONESENSE.

My African American sister,

I don't know of any easily accessible king. Authentic kings are not easily accessible. I know of a couple of princely dukes. That is, they descend from real kings maybe 150 years or more ago. As such they can rightly be called princes and their kids are certainly called princes/princesses.
So instead of being say "king of California", they will be say Duke of San Jose, Duke of Santa Monica, Duke of LA, Duke of San Francisco etc. Being second born, third born sons etc, their ancestors were created dukes long ago to give them their own domains within the kingdom since only the crown prince will become king.
As dukes, they of course have access to the king. The white european wife of one such dukes (who's a relation) told me last time how she met the king on her visit to Africa. The duke lives partly here in europe.
Re: Pictures Of Great African Kings by ezeagu(m): 3:40pm On Aug 11, 2010
madlady:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
@Poster, The ONI of IFE, what spectacular carvings.

You're looking at the wrong person, the Ooni of Ife is the second picture, not the third.

tpia.:

very interesting!!

But two of the Cameroounian obas are wearing clothes commonly associated with southwest Nigeria.

One (the Fon of Bandjun) is in traditional (not modern) agbada while the other (king of Bana) is in something that looks like the Yoruba hunter's gear.

The man in the first photo does look like Glele.

The picture labelled Sultan of Sokoto is the previous, not the current one.

The origin of the 'Agbada' is Islamic, it hasn't always been a traditional African wear. The clothing spread throughout West Africa along with Islamisation, that is why people in Gambia and people in North Western Cameroon wear it.

spikedcylinder:

Many of the pictures were put together quickly, it seems. The little girl is not wearing the wives cloth pattern, if she was a wife she would be. Countries around Nigeria aren't all as backwards as Nigeria itself, they have the same development.

davidif:

ARE YOU WHITE OR MIXED OR SOMETHING?? BECAUSE THAT WOULD PROPERLY EXPLAIN WHY YOU FIND IT FUNNY.

Maybe the person doesn't have a giant chip on their shoulder.
Re: Pictures Of Great African Kings by madlady(f): 3:13pm On Aug 15, 2010
ezeagu:

You're looking at the wrong person, the Ooni of Ife is the second picture, not the third.

The origin of the 'Agbada' is Islamic, it hasn't always been a traditional African wear. The clothing spread throughout West Africa along with Islamisation, that is why people in Gambia and people in North Western Cameroon wear it.

Many of the pictures were put together quickly, it seems. The little girl is not wearing the wives cloth pattern, if she was a wife she would be. Countries around Nigeria aren't all as backwards as Nigeria itself, they have the same development.

Maybe the person doesn't have a giant chip on their shoulder.

Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

Yorubas And Fulanis Are Isrealites (must Watch Video) / Usain Bolt Looks Nigerian, But Which Tribe? / My Take On Source of Yorubas from Benin As A Bini Nairalander

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.