Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,221 members, 7,815,270 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:00 AM

China Demands Dry Yam From Nigeria, Yam Exportation Begins July 2017 - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / China Demands Dry Yam From Nigeria, Yam Exportation Begins July 2017 (20423 Views)

Feb 2017 I Was Dead Broke, July 2017 I Bought A Brand New 2017 Bmw / Fgn Bond Records 129.16bln Naira Subscription In July, 2017 – Dmo / Youwin Set To Launch And Open Portal On 24th July 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

China Demands Dry Yam From Nigeria, Yam Exportation Begins July 2017 by Alphasoar(m): 8:10pm On Feb 23, 2017
…as yam exportation to begin July 2017

By Gabriel Ewepu

ABUJA – THE Chinese government has demanded dry yam from Nigeria to meet industrial and domestic needs.

This was disclosed by the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Chief Audu Ogbeh, Thursday, in
Abuja, which a technical working committee was inaugurated to fast track the exportation of yam by July 2017.
The Minister said Nigeria has remained one of the world’s largest producer of yam, which accounts for 61.7 per cent of the global production of the rot crop, while there are over 60 varieties of yam, but sadly, Nigeria not among yam exporting countries.

He assured that local production and consumption of the commodity would not be affected by the move to export yam soon, rather government would scale up intervention in yam production, as farmers in the country have indicated willingness to increase production to meet both local and international demands.

He noted that high level of yam production was going on in Zakibiam in Benue State, the Minister said government would leverage on it and also spread production across the entire country.
However, he lamented Ghana, which produces far less than any yam producing state in Nigeria, has taken over the European market.

According to him yam consumed in the United States were imported from Ghana and a tuber of yam cost as high as $15.
He said: “Ghana is controlling Africa’s yam export market where Nigeria is one of the world’s largest producers. I am not sure if Ghana produces as much yam as any state of the federation”.

The Minister noted that the private sector driven committee was deliberate in other to guide the government on how to get a fair share of the global yam market.
He noted that the Nigerian yam export promotion programme was aimed at taking Nigerian yam production, processing and marketing to next level in line with what is done in other country.

He also emphasised the need to ensure that Nigerian agricultural produce meet the standard of foreign markets, and stressed the need for the country to design produce that would meet Nigerian health standard.

The minister tasked the committee to develop a framework for establishment of Nigeria yam export sea and airport where all documentation relating to the export are prepared, adding that they should facilitate acquisition warehouses at the receiving destination, rationalize the bureaucracy of export and enforcement agency located within one roof designated for Nigeria yam export park houses.

Meanwhile, the Chairman of the Committee, Prof Simon Tsange, said they have been doing underground work on the programme adding that the committee would ensure that in six months time, Nigerian yam would hit the international market.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/02/chinese-govt-demands-dry-yam-nigeria/

4 Likes

Re: China Demands Dry Yam From Nigeria, Yam Exportation Begins July 2017 by Alphasoar(m): 8:12pm On Feb 23, 2017
We are still very much relevant in some areas.
If only we can harness our agricultural potentials as a country, we would be relevant than even America.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: China Demands Dry Yam From Nigeria, Yam Exportation Begins July 2017 by ashjay001(m): 8:15pm On Feb 23, 2017
Yam about to go d way of garri!

18 Likes

Re: China Demands Dry Yam From Nigeria, Yam Exportation Begins July 2017 by Alphasoar(m): 8:20pm On Feb 23, 2017
ashjay001:
Yam about to go d way of garri!
How much garri have we been exporting and still lacking it across the nation?

1 Like

Re: China Demands Dry Yam From Nigeria, Yam Exportation Begins July 2017 by Adesiji77: 8:32pm On Feb 23, 2017
Interesting...

cc: Mynd44, lalasticlala
Re: China Demands Dry Yam From Nigeria, Yam Exportation Begins July 2017 by babyfaceafrica: 8:34pm On Feb 23, 2017
Nice

1 Like 1 Share

Re: China Demands Dry Yam From Nigeria, Yam Exportation Begins July 2017 by woky: 8:37pm On Feb 23, 2017
good.. but it will sure increase the price of yam.

4 Likes

Re: China Demands Dry Yam From Nigeria, Yam Exportation Begins July 2017 by oladipo322(m): 8:42pm On Feb 23, 2017
Hope this won't make the price of AMALA increase cos that my own concern

9 Likes

Re: China Demands Dry Yam From Nigeria, Yam Exportation Begins July 2017 by basilo102: 9:03pm On Feb 23, 2017
when anambra govt said they were set to export yam some people insulted them

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: China Demands Dry Yam From Nigeria, Yam Exportation Begins July 2017 by ashjay001(m): 10:20pm On Feb 23, 2017
Alphasoar:

Seems u dont realise garri became 'gold', when Obj encouraged cassava/starch exports to China!

5 Likes

Re: China Demands Dry Yam From Nigeria, Yam Exportation Begins July 2017 by Alphasoar(m): 11:08pm On Feb 23, 2017
ashjay001:

Seems u dont realise garri became 'gold', when Obj encouraged cassava/starch exports to China!
If it becomes 'gold' then lets MINE it and get more gold!

17 Likes

Re: China Demands Dry Yam From Nigeria, Yam Exportation Begins July 2017 by boman2014: 6:37am On Feb 24, 2017
This means well for nigeria
Re: China Demands Dry Yam From Nigeria, Yam Exportation Begins July 2017 by omenkaLives(m): 6:40am On Feb 24, 2017
Alphasoar:
If only we can harness our agricultural potentials as a country, we would be relevant than even America.
You were making sense until you got to that point. Haba bros, it is good to be proud of your own and patriotic, but errrm, this thing wey you talk so, na near future tinz abi 400 years from now?

Education is the bedrock of civilisation- what are the standards of our schools compared to theirs? Is it food production? Population? Science and tech? Land mass? Oil? Solid minerals? Military might? What exactly can we "harness" to make us have "more influence" than them?

I am, i believe, the biggest fan of my dear country but at the same time, i like telling myself the truth oo.. cheesy

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: China Demands Dry Yam From Nigeria, Yam Exportation Begins July 2017 by olaolulazio(m): 8:37am On Feb 24, 2017
Abuja yam!

1 Like

Re: China Demands Dry Yam From Nigeria, Yam Exportation Begins July 2017 by pat077: 8:37am On Feb 24, 2017
On my way to the farm.....
Re: China Demands Dry Yam From Nigeria, Yam Exportation Begins July 2017 by Olasco93: 8:37am On Feb 24, 2017
After buying, they will use it as Raw material and still import the products to us with Low quality.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: China Demands Dry Yam From Nigeria, Yam Exportation Begins July 2017 by Idrismusty97(m): 8:37am On Feb 24, 2017
Meanwhile Japan already overtake Nigeria as the Largest Yam producer in the world. Maybe this will boost us a little.
Re: China Demands Dry Yam From Nigeria, Yam Exportation Begins July 2017 by Nukualofa: 8:38am On Feb 24, 2017
Another story to keep zombies busy in the mosque today

2 Likes

Re: China Demands Dry Yam From Nigeria, Yam Exportation Begins July 2017 by Jeffrey12(m): 8:38am On Feb 24, 2017
ok
Re: China Demands Dry Yam From Nigeria, Yam Exportation Begins July 2017 by Rrankdonga(m): 8:39am On Feb 24, 2017
Our problem is research. Imagine them asking for what we throw away or say scarcely use. They'll now add value to "dry yam" and sell it back to us. We need to research in this country.

2 Likes

Re: China Demands Dry Yam From Nigeria, Yam Exportation Begins July 2017 by Nukualofa: 8:40am On Feb 24, 2017
omenkaLives:
You were making sense until you got to that point. Haba bros, it is good to be proud of your own and patriotic, but errrm, this thing wey you talk so, na near future tinz abi 400 years from now?

Education is the bedrock of civilisation- what are the standards of our schools compared to theirs? Is it food production? Population? Science and tech? Land mass? Oil? Solid minerals? Military might? What exactly can we "harness" to make us have "more influence" than them?

I am, i believe, the biggest fan of my dear country but at the same time, i like telling myself the truth oo.. cheesy
.You are from the north where education is relegated to the background but you ve never taken it upon yourself to call upon your elite to invest in education because your youths are fading daily and becoming more ignorant.

You want the better south to call out your elite because you are either ashamed or you benefit from the illiteracy scourge in your region.

The igbos you malign today has a *2 of graduates the whole 19 northern states has produced. Look inward or else your children will have to travel miles to make friends with the educated South

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: China Demands Dry Yam From Nigeria, Yam Exportation Begins July 2017 by erico2k2(m): 8:40am On Feb 24, 2017
Alphasoar:

You won't know cos you are not I that circle but it's cassava that gets exported

1 Like

Re: China Demands Dry Yam From Nigeria, Yam Exportation Begins July 2017 by dman4mdmoon(m): 8:40am On Feb 24, 2017
The little will produce is not even enough to feed us, we are thinking of exporting to other countries!

1 Like

Re: China Demands Dry Yam From Nigeria, Yam Exportation Begins July 2017 by Zi: 8:40am On Feb 24, 2017
This doesn't look good. There will be scarcity of yam as our local products is not even enough to feed the nation, the price of yam will increase etc

Chinese people do not eat yam! What exactly do they want to do with these "dry yams"?
The China that I know will go and refine this yam and come back to us with something stunning with these "dry yams" and sell to other nations even back to us. My mind is going to Chinese medicine sha. Or maybe We give them dry yam and import yam flour from them in a few years time?

If we must export yam, let's give them finished products. Let them tell us what they want to do with it and we will process it by ourselves before we export to them.

4 Likes

Re: China Demands Dry Yam From Nigeria, Yam Exportation Begins July 2017 by NNVanguard(m): 8:41am On Feb 24, 2017
A nation with great potential to feed it's citizens and the nation has been begging for food because of the apathy of its leaders to good governance.

New Nigeria Vanguard coming to set the records straight in the attainment of food security and self sustainability.

Join us
Re: China Demands Dry Yam From Nigeria, Yam Exportation Begins July 2017 by WINDSOW(m): 8:42am On Feb 24, 2017
I hope tis won't lead to scarcity of yam in naija.
I jst dey observe.
Re: China Demands Dry Yam From Nigeria, Yam Exportation Begins July 2017 by Bitterleafsoup: 8:42am On Feb 24, 2017
Wow I have acres of yam in Anambra!

The curse has been broken we have been set free!

6 Likes

Re: China Demands Dry Yam From Nigeria, Yam Exportation Begins July 2017 by engrobidigbo: 8:43am On Feb 24, 2017
hmmm

While this is a good development, there are pros and cons to this;

PROs:
1) It enhances positive balance of trade
2) It provides more forex to our country
3) It further strengthens our currency
4) It further expose our business men, even farmers and agro-cooperatives to international businesses

CONs:
1) Nigerian's are known to abuse such opportunities and if not properly checked, you might find some people adding plywood as yam chips. Some might even try to smuggle hard drugs along with the yam chips to china
2) We lack proper food sufficiency and the situation will further worsen because farmers will surely try to export more than sell locally for more profit
3) If there's no proper education and training on processing and packaging, our farmers might end up losing millions of naira from destroyed products at the receiving border due to the poor standard we use to process and package our products here.

Nevertheless, i wish every prospective beneficiary of this opportunity a huge success

5 Likes

Re: China Demands Dry Yam From Nigeria, Yam Exportation Begins July 2017 by AlexCk: 8:43am On Feb 24, 2017
Pounded yam on their mind

grin
Re: China Demands Dry Yam From Nigeria, Yam Exportation Begins July 2017 by peacettw: 8:43am On Feb 24, 2017
dman4mdmoon:
The little will produce is not even enough to feed us, we are thinking of exporting to other countries!

It baffles me really but then everything about this country baffles me.
Re: China Demands Dry Yam From Nigeria, Yam Exportation Begins July 2017 by tayoxx(m): 8:43am On Feb 24, 2017
It's a good development but I feel the real news was not announced .. How people wey dey interested in exporting to fit part take in am. For me that should b the real news

1 Like

Re: China Demands Dry Yam From Nigeria, Yam Exportation Begins July 2017 by opara28(m): 8:43am On Feb 24, 2017
it starts with u
Alphasoar:

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Torn And Worn Out N100 In Circulation, A Deliberate Act By The Banks? Photo / Minister Of Agriculture, Desmond Elliot, Others At The Tingo Foods Facility Lau / Shipping Stuffs From Canada-nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.